Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you support universal healthcare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Poll Question: Do you support universal healthcare?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
61 [73.49%]
18 [21.69%]
4 [4.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you support universal healthcare?
    Posted: August 29 2009 at 07:55
Tis a poll
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 08:12
no, only the upper-middle class and upper class deserve treatment because anyone who can't afford it doesn't deserve to live.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 08:38
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

no, only the upper-middle class and upper class deserve treatment because anyone who can't afford it doesn't deserve to live.

If Courtesy Flush (gotta love that handle) means physical health then YES
If he means mental health then NO as some of the the sufferers clearly choose not to help themselves.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 09:00
I'm starting to find a middle ground.  I think catastrophic care should be provided, so that no one faces financial ruin over an illness.  But I think regular visits and tests under a certain yearly cap need to be paid for by the consumer, with more competition involved.  Some people do abuse health care by running to the Doc for every little sniffle, and these folks should either buy a private plan or pay. 

But I do support families not losing their home and life savings because  mom or dad get some deadly disease.  

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 10:04

Assuming that was a joke...  LOL  Although I would modify it a bit and say that maybe there should be an IQ test prior to getting healthcare.  Time to chlorinate the gene pool.  Wink

Seriously, I voted yes.  I think healthcare is a basic human right that everyone is entitled to.  While I agree that there are some who abuse the system by running to a doctor for every sniffle, perhaps there could be an "idiot" surcharge for those people.  If you go to the doctor for something serious, you're covered.  If you go to the doctor for a cold you're charged, whether you have private health insurance or not. 

Further, I believe that mental health should be covered as well.  For the person who says many people with mental health problems do nothing to help themselves and therefore should be denied coverage, let me ask, should we deny coverage to those who have heart attacks because they are overweight?  How about denying coverage to those with lung cancer or skin cancer because they brought it on themselves?  Or the person who breaks his leg during a skiing accident? 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 11:04

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 29 2009 at 16:06
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 15:33
Sort of . . . People who can't afford it should get it for free and the rich should pay for it if they need it. I think it's horribly wrong that I as a student have to pay an annual fee for my healthcare even though I never go to the doctor.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 16:06
So if you were to break a limb or say, heaven forbid, get run over by a steamroller you'd be able to pay for that out of pocket? 

What's the student medical fee that you pay if you don't mind?

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 29 2009 at 19:42
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 16:19

I think there should be a health service lucky dip.  So when you enter the hospital you get a raffle ticket and if the doctor draws your number out of a hat then you get a free operation- otherwise tough.

Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 16:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

So if you were to break a limb or say, heaven forbid, get run over by a steamroller you'd be able to pay for that out of pocket? 

What's the student medical fee that you pay if you don't mind?

Not much (30 €?), but I'd much rather pay a 50 for going to the doctor whenever I need to than pay 30 a year for a service I don't use. (And I don't think the student healthcare would do much good if I got run over by a steamroller. Ermm)
SentimentalMercenary View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 16:24
"I want everybody to have maximum care at the best price. And that's why I want the government out of it completely."
- Dr. Ron Paul

Those who promise us paradise on earth never produced anything but a hell.

- Karl Popper
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Assuming that was a joke...  LOL  Although I would modify it a bit and say that maybe there should be an IQ test prior to getting healthcare.  Time to chlorinate the gene pool.  Wink

Seriously, I voted yes.  I think healthcare is a basic human right that everyone is entitled to.  While I agree that there are some who abuse the system by running to a doctor for every sniffle, perhaps there could be an "idiot" surcharge for those people.  If you go to the doctor for something serious, you're covered.  If you go to the doctor for a cold you're charged, whether you have private health insurance or not. 

Further, I believe that mental health should be covered as well.  For the person who says many people with mental health problems do nothing to help themselves and therefore should be denied coverage, let me ask, should we deny coverage to those who have heart attacks because they are overweight?  How about denying coverage to those with lung cancer or skin cancer because they brought it on themselves?  Or the person who breaks his leg during a skiing accident? 

I think I'm too subtle for my own health sometimes...The remark in bold was directed at the diseased organ inside King By Tor's head which makes him susceptible to posting such facile garbage in the first place. It's called irony so yeah, the IQ test sounds like a winner.

That aside, I can only endorse the remainder of your post (That's NOT irony)
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 19:19
We Have a Healthcare system in Australia and if any government tried to remove it and replace it with a fully private Health System they would be thrown out. We pay at the last time I remembered is 0.75 percent Tax on your gross income. Now I will admit the public hospitals are not perfect but compared to most places in the world they are fabulous.

Whatever treatment you receive in a public hospital in Australia it is free from a Heart Transplant to an in grown toe-nail. If you are involved in an accident or are seriously unwell you will be taken to a major Public Hospital for treatment as they have the equipment ,Intensive care units etc.

You still have the choice of Private Health insurance and I will admit it is advisable because if you require an operation that is not considered life threatening you could wind up on a waitintg list for 6 months. The goverment pays a 30% rebate back to you with private health insurance. You are up for $500.00 dollars if you require an overnigtht stay or more in a private hospital and they only charge you the $500 excess once per financial year no matter how many times you are in and out. I pay over $5,000 per annum and the government pays another approx $1,500 (30% rebate) on top bringing the actual cost to $6.500. This is Family cover that I am using,single is a roughly half that. It is not a common practice here for an employer to offer Health Insurance with a job.

At the moment my wife is not well and requires surgery and the treatment that she has received through the public system has been pretty good and quick and cost me nothing except for the drutgs she requires which I will add are all under the P>B>S scheme so if the drug costs more than $34.00 the goverment pays the balance.

$1 Aust is roughly 80 US cents

I work with a friend who is a U.S citizen ( Texas,Nevada and California was where he lived) and he was telling me with private insurance you are still up for massive amounts and it is not uncommon if any serious issue arises to wind up broke.

He likes our system here by a long shot.

Anyway here is another perspective and really think hard about what you want
Matt

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 19:30

This is a no-brainer. Yes.

But there are fools wiggling on the private insurers hooks and swallowing it whole. Makes you ashamed to be an American sometimes.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

(And I don't think the student healthcare would do much good if I got run over by a steamroller. Ermm)

Wait, you haven't seen A Fish Called Wanda have you?  If you had your feet stuck in wet cement you just might.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 30 2009 at 12:45
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 19:48
Not sure what healthacre cover I require when cruising around the Belt of OrionSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 20:20
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

This is a no-brainer. Yes.

But there are fools wiggling on the private insurers hooks and swallowing it whole. Makes you ashamed to be an American sometimes.

Of course, everyone on the other side must be fooled by some trickery, no logical person could possibly hold another viewpoint from you.

It does bother me a lot though that in the current health care debate in the US the republicans and opponents of the health care bill are just trying to spread lies and scare people instead of raising what I believe are legitimate problems with it.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 20:50
Because it's a no brainer. Extremely logical, smart, and heartless people with different viewpoints from mine are using extremely emotional, not-so-smart folks to do their dirty work for them. If they could win in a real debate they might try.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 21:00
It sounds like a good idea, but for a country (US) that already has horrible debt problems it seems like a poor time.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 21:13
Yes.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>