Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 09:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Well, Marillion...when I listened them at first, was somehting great!, being a Genesis hardcore fan of all their eras, Marilllion sounded then as the perfect musical solution. The first era, with Fish and even with Seasons End, is the best, and Script is the best album they ever made, perfect. One of the things that they lost (a shame) is the preponderance of Mark Kelly in the keyboards, a very underrated musician. This master was little by little getting behind, and after Seasons end, he was definitely behind, and with him the music a bit downhill. With Hogarth, they have very good things, but not as an album (with the exception of Seasons End, a great album). They became much repetitive, lacking of instrumental sections and many times uninspired. My best songs

All Script for a Jester's Tear (exception of Chelsea monday)
Grendel, Market square, Charting the single, boats than the candy
Assasing, Incubus, Jigsaw, Fugazy, Punch and Judy
Almost all Childhood End (Blind curve, what a track)
Slaintemath, Hotel hobbies and At that time of the night, Only for the record (the key solo)
King of sunset town, Easter (superb), Seasons end, The space
Cover my eyes, The party, Waiting to happen, This strange engine, Brave, The great escape.., Interior Lulu (some sections), Don't hurt yourself, You're gone, Wrapped up by time, When I meet good.

I read the review you posted for "We Can't Dance" and pretty much agreed with every thing you wrote except for your rating of 4 stars (mine would be closer to 3 stars). However, I don't understand your interpretation of the post "Seasons End" Marillion albums. You embrace the pop elements of the post Gabriel Genesis albums, but reject those same elements in the Hogarth Marillion albums. I personally don't find anything repetitive in the latter Marillion albums.

Well, thanks, but maybe I'm being misunderstood (is the correct verb time?). I do  not criticising the prog character of Marillion, I'm not saying that they've being turned to pop or brit pop or nothing like this, simply is that in my taste, they sound to me a bit repetitive, just like for others maybe Genesis or other band could sounds repetitive too. It's a matter of taste. For example, Holydays in Eden,  I like it much (not all the album), and is mainly pop. After that they returned to a less commercial sound, and for me they have great things (I've listed some songs that I like much). But is not the kind of music that I like more. When I talk about Kelly, I'm talking about keyboards not only as a companion or support, but as solos or more prominence. As I said before, I have listened him doing something different in  King of number 33 of Dee Expus and I like it much. Marillion is prog rock, before and now, and as an integral work, they are more prog than Genesis, that is true, but other thing is my taste. I love prog rock, is the music that I like and buy, but I don't like everything about prog rock. Hope you understood me.

I do understand you. Try, though, to take a bit of a hint from someone who has listened to prog and classic rock for the best part of 40 years now.

It really doesn't matter whether the music is prog, or not. If you enjoy it, it is good music. I, for example, love Fleetwood Mac (especially the Buckingham & Nicks version). Not remotely prog, but damned good stuff.

The fact that Marillion are "more prog than Genesis" (even if true, which I would dispute), is neither here nor there. I happen to adore both, and all phases at that. I hate the snobbery that many here display when talking about.......gasp.....commercial musicShocked

In terms of your original point, one of the reasons why people on this thread love Marillion so much is that it is a collective effort. Without any of the five protagonists, the finished product would be greatly diminished. The material is all truly a group effort, wrought by hard work and group effort. Actually, that is also true of three man Genesis after Duke, far more than the Gabriel eraWink

Ok, Lazland, it's good to agree in this point. To be honest, I take care about the prog side of the music, but because I l like it, I enjoy the long tracks, the instrumental sections, the pompous, those great lyrics and many more, but I like other kind of music too, like classical or pop or commercial or how everyone wants to call it. I love all Genesis albums, abslolutely all, prog or pop or what it could be and I like many Marillions albums, as I said I like much Holydays in Eden or Afraid of sunlight or even Anoraknophobia, but Radiation, Marillion.com or Somewhere else, just little bits. 

About the songwritting as a group effort, that is really a point. In fact, Marillion in the times of Fish, sign the songs as all the musicians songwritting, was that really true? The same was happened with Genesis in the times of Gabriel, but the true was that Banks and Rutherford were always the main songwritters, and many people even knowing that fact, live exalting Gabriel and Hackett as the Genesis mentors of their music. I don't know this about Marillion, but I suspect that Rothery seems to be the driving force behind the band, maybe someone can teach me about this, or maybe they really are a team. The perfect example is Pink Floyd, when they worked as a team, they made (IMO) their best things (Dark side and Wish you were here). Division Bell is really good too, in part, cos Wright was there again, songwriting with Gilmour. That the escence of the bands, to songwrite as a more than one people. I agree with you about Genesis post Duke era, they started with the jams sessions (mainly from Abacab).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:41
Wow last post Nov 29th.......!!??
This arrived to my house yesterday from across the pond....looking forward to spinning this tomorrow night. Beautiful packaging, vinyl sleeves full of lyrics.....Should be fantastic!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 13:46
^ in all honesty, Jose, this thread started dying a death when I became the only regular poster following Eric and Joel leaving the site. A shame.......

Anyhow, you are going to have a GREAT experience with this.

Enjoy, my friendApprove
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 15:48
^ I have the digital version of course, but I truely enjoy and get so much more out of Marillion on vinyl. I had been waiting a year for them to release this on vinyl.
All the Marillion I have on vinyl, I have not played any of my CD versions.....I have so much more fun and meaningful listening sessions with their vinyl.
I have a couple more to get still....The ones not available here US side I have to get direct from Racket Records and they are not cheap once you add the over the pond shipping....but more than worth it!

I will see Pete with Transatlantic in about 2 weeks here in Seattle.....Really looking forward to seeing him live.

Cheers!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 16:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I will see Pete with Transatlantic in about 2 weeks here in Seattle.....Really looking forward to seeing him live.

Cheers!

That is going to be one hell of a gig.

Enjoy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 17:47
^ It will be...the venue is super small, like 200-250 max movie theater style venue...so a very cozy atmosphere
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 08:57

great topic. I like most of you. I`m one from the `82 days. so which line was/is the best. whats your top album`s. band to enjoy.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 11:39
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

great topic. I like most of you. I`m one from the `82 days. so which line was/is the best. whats your top album`s. band to enjoy.

Well, we like you tooHug

Another one from the old days, eh? We ought to form a club together.

Best album for me is a tie between Brave and Marbles. Nothing to choose between them, really. The last one is a cracker too.

Best lineup for me is Hogarth led, which is akin to being a child molester amongst most on this site, aside from a few of us hardy lovers of great music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:38
Haha!! Yea I like most of you too!! LOL

Best album for me? All of them!! heh.....I too am a huge Marbles and Brave lover. Those two albums pretty much give me all I need when I sit down and listen. I do also give props to Seasons End.

H era for me is the best or is what I like the most and yea on PA you will get called all sorts of names for professing your like of the H era....BUT I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!

Marillion is amazing.....period.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:40
This Strange Engine on now via iPad headphones whilst my darling wife watches stuff on TV.

This really is such an important album in the band's canon. The first they made without the support of EMI, and totally reliant on the fan base to support, and we all paid dividends.

There are some incredible tracks on this, and the piece is bookended by two of the finest prog songs ever recorded. 

I still get shivers down my spine when I listen to the title track, and tap my feet in a frenzy to the joy that Around The World gives me.

I remember the day I got it very well, also. I was captaining my cricket team on two consecutive days, and asked my sister to go to Wrexham to MVC to get it for me. She duly delivered, but drove her car down the club drive when I was just about to face a ball from a rather fast bowler. She completely impeded my view, and I was clean bowled. 

I forgave her when I put this fine album on!LOL

Happy days (and they were)Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 17:03
TSE is one I have not spent a lot of time with.....It comes on random play on my ZuneHD but I just don't pay attention to it. I really need to just sit and listen to it.
I know they have the vinyl version available and I keep threatening to get it, I do need it, which will make me sit and listen and hold the large gatefold cover in my hands.

Gads!! Guess I better go hunting for a copy..
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 17:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

TSE is one I have not spent a lot of time with.....It comes on random play on my ZuneHD but I just don't pay attention to it. I really need to just sit and listen to it.
I know they have the vinyl version available and I keep threatening to get it, I do need it, which will make me sit and listen and hold the large gatefold cover in my hands.

Gads!! Guess I better go hunting for a copy..

The Rothery solo in the title track is the most haunting he has ever committed to any record, which is saying something. When Hogarth completes the story of his family at the end, with the entire band playing their heart out, you realise just what an important band they are, and just why this band move us so much.

Essential purchase, my friend.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 14:17
not gotten the new album. music maybe but from the bits I`ve be hearing. are not get me into it.                                                                                                                                    

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 09:08
I`m more of the fish era. so which of Hogarth album should be in top five.

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 09:41
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I`m more of the fish era. so which of Hogarth album should be in top five.

Seasons End is the first H era album, I very much enjoy this album, but also should listen to
Marbles
Brave
Radiation to me shows his wonderful vocal range too.....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 06:13
Afraid of Sunlight is great, too - just for the title track and Out of this World - amazing songs!. 

Edited by Cristi - January 31 2014 at 06:14
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 07:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Afraid of Sunlight is great, too - just for the title track and Out of this World - amazing songs!. 

Good call there with Afraid of Sunlight, that is a wonderful album.

I also followed the band right at the start and saw them a couple of times at Manchester Gallery way before they got a record deal.  However the band has moved forward and with H they are for me infinitely better.  I too wavered for a time after Fish left but eventually saw the light and I'm amazed that more others haven't done so too.  I find it difficult to think of any h albums that are weaker than any of the original incarnation, I'd concede Holidays In Eden and Seasons End possibly, that's it.

My top 5 would be:-

1.  Marbles   (an album that every prog fan simply must have, this is a total masterpiece)
2.  Afraid of Sunlight
3.  Happiness Is The Road
4.  Sounds That Can't Be Made
5.  Anoraknophobia

Nice to see a little more action on this thread Smile.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 17:26
I'd say Seasons End is a reasonable pick if you want an album to cover the transition, because a fair proportion of the music on there was originally penned while Fish was still in the band. (On the bonus disc of the 2CD release of Clutching At Straws there's some demo tracks where you can have the surreal experience of hearing Fish singing lyrics from Vision From a Wilderness of Mirrors over music from Season's End...)

That said, though, it's really best to see Fish-era and H-era Marillion as two different bands. (I seem to remember seeing interviews knocking around where at least some of the band members have said that it would saved them a lot of headaches convincing people that they weren't just Fish's band if they'd changed the band name when H came in, but by now too much time has passed for that to really make sense.) So on that basis, here's my favourite H-era studio albums:

1. Brave
2. Afraid of Sunlight
3. Marbles (2CD VERSION ONLY - the 1CD version is decent but it's missing some absolutely brilliant tracks)
4. Sounds That Can't Be Made
5. This Strange Engine

(The one-two punch of Brave followed by Afraid of Sunlight, in particular, is absolutely incredible, and whilst I think they've had five-star albums since I don't think they've had quite such a sustained peak since then.)

For what it's worth, here's how I rate the Fish-era albums (so you can judge whether you trust my taste):

1. Clutching At Straws
2. Script For a Jester's Tear
3. Fugazi
4. Misplaced Childhood

Wouldn't give any of the Fish-era stuff less than 4.5 stars though!

Edited by Warthur - February 02 2014 at 17:28
Woj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 18:50
I love these F-era albums, they are all different but all great. I love SFAJT the most I think, what a debut. It's somewhat uncommon for artists to have a superb first album like that. SFAJT is perhaps my fave 1st albums ever.

Edited by Woj - February 02 2014 at 19:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 21:30
This showed up in the mailbox today......Another homerun by Madfish label, impeccable pressing, so full of detail and life. I mentioned on another thread for me, I am not sure there is another vocalist that comes so close to lifelike detail and presence in my room than H on vinyl, at least on my system.

Lazland was right, I had this on CD but I always found myself not paying attention, now that I sit and hold a big gatefold with pics and lyric sheets I am very happy with this album.....Will quickly move up my list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 123>