Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 00:53
I wish I still had a lovely vinyl player like thatClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 14:54
I need to get the rest on vinyl....

Seasons End
Anoraknophobia
Afraid of Sunlight
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 11:32
Obviously a plug for the live DVD (which is superb, BTW), but here is an interesting e bulletin from h:

NEW! Brave Live 2013 Concert Film
Available to Order Now. Bluray/ DVD &CD
Click here for more information..

Sounds That Can't Be Made Vinyl Version available to Pre-Order Now.
Click here for more information..

7 February 2014 Brave Anniversary

We mixed it whilst watching "Apocalypse Now" on a loop. It was to become our "Apocalypse Now". Massively over-budget and behind schedule, dark, strange, beautiful, tricky to follow, tricky to make sense of.
When we mixed it, we weren't sure you'd like it. When we delivered it to EMI, it was met with confusion. When we released it, many of our fans deserted us. When we came to play it live, I was forced to assume the persona of a female in order to make it clear I was singing some of the songs as a girl. I began as a male priest and became an angry young woman, returned as a priest, threw myself from a bridge, and was reborn. It was an emotionally and physically exhausting performance. It's also a "cow" to play - musically and technically demanding, and imbued constantly with sound-effects and cues that tripped you up.
When we came to perform it again last year for the conventions, I was surprised to discover it had become even more of a struggle to perform than before.
And yet as "Brave" arrives at its 20th anniversary, it's regarded by many of our fans as a classic - some say our masterpiece. It definitely has something about it. Even "we" don't know, quite, what makes it extraordinary. It has a darkness in its soul. It has ghosts...
Happy birthday, you strange, brave, girl.
h

'Brave Live 2013' is available now from the Racket Store on Blu-ray, DVD & Audio CD. 'The Great Escape' & 'Hard As Love', taken from this release, are now available to view on our
YouTube channel.

Your eWeb Subscription

©2014 marillion & racket records eweb newsletter
find a better way of life at marillion.com

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 13:22
^ I saw that......I would like to see more pictures of that rehersal/recording session on Brave. I also need to replace my BR player so I can get the Brave DVD.
mawgojzeta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mawgojzeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

TSE is one I have not spent a lot of time with.....It comes on random play on my ZuneHD but I just don't pay attention to it. I really need to just sit and listen to it.
I know they have the vinyl version available and I keep threatening to get it, I do need it, which will make me sit and listen and hold the large gatefold cover in my hands.

Gads!! Guess I better go hunting for a copy..

The Rothery solo in the title track is the most haunting he has ever committed to any record, which is saying something. When Hogarth completes the story of his family at the end, with the entire band playing their heart out, you realise just what an important band they are, and just why this band move us so much.

Essential purchase, my friend.....

Agreed.  When I want to make clear to someone what Marillion is and I only have one song to do it with, I chose TSE (because it is such a short little ditty - ha).  Poor suckers don't know what they are agreeing to until it is too late. 

Having said that, my favorite album is a technically two albums, but I think would be allowed - CAS and Brave.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 07:54
is anyone going to buy. Mick Pointer Bands new album. its a live cd.
all the album. SCRIPT FOR A JESTER`S TEAR.
its out on 03/03/14. on amazon.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 08:07
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

No, I don't think so. I dislike tribute bands as a rule, and this is all this act is, really.

Pointer seems to be making a career out of the lone album he did with the band, prior to Fish kicking him out.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 03:59
its been a marillion listening week. script/fugazi & straws. I`ve also blow dust off brave too! I`ve also been playing fish`s new album all say. is wow buy it. its his best album in a long time. I`m going to fill the multi cd player with Marillion/Fish and sail away too time.

Music Is Live

<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 05:42

its been a marillion listening week. script/fugazi & straws. I`ve also blow dust off brave too! I`ve also been playing fish`s new album all say. is wow buy it. its his best album in a long time. I`m going to fill the multi cd player with Marillion/Fish and sail away too time.

Good idea!LOL

Feast of Consequences is an excellent album, continuing a fine run of form by Fish.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 08:43

No, I don't think so. I dislike tribute bands as a rule, and this is all this act is, really.

Pointer seems to be making a career out of the lone album he did with the band, prior to Fish kicking him out.

Pointer is the drummer of Arena, a great band if you ask me. People forget this or what? Confused
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Pointer is the drummer of Arena, a great band if you ask me. People forget this or what? Confused

Not at all. I like Arena, but I can see that my post would not have indicated this. I was merely trying to point out my dislike of this type of thing.

Arena are original. The Script project is not.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 17:48

Yeah, it really baffles me the extent he and the Mick Pointer Band have been squeezing Script (plus the Market Square Heroes EP and the B-sides from the era) is absolutely absurd.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think putting a band together to do the Script-era stuff live for a one-off tour was a fine idea. With Marillion not revisiting any of the material from that era very much at all (except for the occasional Garden Party), Fish having a big enough back catalogue that he doesn't often focus on the Marillion-era stuff these days either, and Arena not really being the right venue for playing lots of Marillion covers, it was a smart move and I'm sure lots of people loved the opportunity to see those songs live.

I don't even have a problem with him releasing a live album of the show; live albums are nice souvenirs of a show if you went to it (or the tour it was on) and a good chance to enjoy the performances if you couldn't make it to the show, and I have no problem with artists offering live albums as a way to get a bit of continuing royalties off the work they put into a tour.

But he's been milking this thing for years, from the 25th anniversary of the album onwards, and it's just getting ridiculous. I do like Arena but I found the most recent album a little disappointing and I do wonder whether they couldn't be riding higher at the moment if Mick weren't distracted by this never-ending tribute project - and worse, the more of a spotlight he puts on this, the more he obscures the fact that he's had a perfectly respectable post-Marillion career in Arena - maybe not quite on a par with Marillion's subsequent career or Fish's solo career if you're going by amount of material or the number of five-star albums, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and I'd argue something to be very proud of at points.

I can only hope that with this live release Mick either puts this project to bed for good, or actually writes some new material for this side project of his. (Hell, if he were able to put out some new material in the Script-era style - sort of like a look at what Marillion might have sounded like if they'd jumped the other way when Fish said "it's Mick or me" - that might be interesting.) As it stands it's getting beyond redundant.

Edited by Warthur - February 15 2014 at 17:49
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 05:06
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Yeah, it really baffles me the extent he and the Mick Pointer Band have been squeezing Script (plus the Market Square Heroes EP and the B-sides from the era) is absolutely absurd.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think putting a band together to do the Script-era stuff live for a one-off tour was a fine idea. With Marillion not revisiting any of the material from that era very much at all (except for the occasional Garden Party), Fish having a big enough back catalogue that he doesn't often focus on the Marillion-era stuff these days either, and Arena not really being the right venue for playing lots of Marillion covers, it was a smart move and I'm sure lots of people loved the opportunity to see those songs live.

I don't even have a problem with him releasing a live album of the show; live albums are nice souvenirs of a show if you went to it (or the tour it was on) and a good chance to enjoy the performances if you couldn't make it to the show, and I have no problem with artists offering live albums as a way to get a bit of continuing royalties off the work they put into a tour.

But he's been milking this thing for years, from the 25th anniversary of the album onwards, and it's just getting ridiculous. I do like Arena but I found the most recent album a little disappointing and I do wonder whether they couldn't be riding higher at the moment if Mick weren't distracted by this never-ending tribute project - and worse, the more of a spotlight he puts on this, the more he obscures the fact that he's had a perfectly respectable post-Marillion career in Arena - maybe not quite on a par with Marillion's subsequent career or Fish's solo career if you're going by amount of material or the number of five-star albums, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and I'd argue something to be very proud of at points.

I can only hope that with this live release Mick either puts this project to bed for good, or actually writes some new material for this side project of his. (Hell, if he were able to put out some new material in the Script-era style - sort of like a look at what Marillion might have sounded like if they'd jumped the other way when Fish said "it's Mick or me" - that might be interesting.) As it stands it's getting beyond redundant.

Excellent postClap
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:07
I`ve been listening to. gone fishing leamington spa. 2 cd live show `09. Fish oh yes. great mix of solo/marillion classic.

Music Is Live

<
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:41
Hmmm, I notice that on his 2012 Leamington Spa live album that Fish has started doing Grendel live again. A reaction to Mick Pointer's band doing it? I'm sure Fish was just as much part of the decision to discontinue the song after the Script era as anyone else in the band (or at any rate, knowing his track record I'm sure he'd have kicked off an epic argument if he didn't agree that the song should be put to bed) and I'm fairly sure he hasn't played it much with his solo bands, but I guess he might think "If Mick's going to start making money off the back of that song, I might as well have some of that myself."

Or he might just have decided that the purpose of retiring the song has been and gone and it's now appropriate to bring it out on special occasions.

Edited by Warthur - February 23 2014 at 10:42
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Hmmm, I notice that on his 2012 Leamington Spa live album that Fish has started doing Grendel live again. A reaction to Mick Pointer's band doing it? I'm sure Fish was just as much part of the decision to discontinue the song after the Script era as anyone else in the band (or at any rate, knowing his track record I'm sure he'd have kicked off an epic argument if he didn't agree that the song should be put to bed) and I'm fairly sure he hasn't played it much with his solo bands, but I guess he might think "If Mick's going to start making money off the back of that song, I might as well have some of that myself."

Or he might just have decided that the purpose of retiring the song has been and gone and it's now appropriate to bring it out on special occasions.

I suspect it is a special occasion thing only. He has such a massive solo repertoire now, I can't possibly see him taking some 20-odd minutes of a show with this on a normal tour gig.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 11:47
In my opinion the loss of Rob Sowden is a huge loss for Arena. The new vocalist Manzi is technically good but not right for the band.

As for Pointer he's not in the same class as Mosley. If Pointer wants to keep flogging Script to death good luck to him. I for one am totally uninterested. I doubt I'd bother if they were playing in my back garden.

Edited by Roj - February 23 2014 at 11:48
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 12:34
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

In my opinion the loss of Rob Sowden is a huge loss for Arena. The new vocalist Manzi is technically good but not right for the band.

As for Pointer he's not in the same class as Mosley. If Pointer wants to keep flogging Script to death good luck to him. I for one am totally uninterested. I doubt I'd bother if they were playing in my back garden.

Absolutely agree on both counts, Rog.

I was somewhat disappointed with the last Arena effort, and it was, primarily, because of Manzi.

Likewise with Script. I get it out occasionally as a nostalgia thing, but this band have produced such a monumental body of work over the last 30 odd years, there is very rarely a need for such indulgences.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 04:43
still not hot on Mr S. Hogarth. his voice just isn`t make me about him. I`ve listen to sunlight, ends, brave, marbles and
radiation. I`m still    so to hear what you are all saying tell me which album to be listening to make me go    singer he is.

Music Is Live

<
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 05:06

I suspect it is a special occasion thing only. He has such a massive solo repertoire now, I can't possibly see him taking some 20-odd minutes of a show with this on a normal tour gig.
True that, Marillion don't pull out Ocean Cloud every day and that's a much more recent song that's far more in keeping with their present sound so I guess it applies double for a song which is both very long and very far away from what Fish is currently doing.

I was somewhat disappointed with the last Arena effort, and it was, primarily, because of Manzi.
Yeah, I can't help but wonder whether the latest album didn't suffer from Mick dividing his time between Arena and his Script-squeezing. Not everyone's a Clive Nolan who can give their all to a fistful of different projects all at once!

still not hot on Mr S. Hogarth. his voice just isn`t make me  about him. I`ve listen to sunlight, ends, brave, marbles and 
radiation. I`m still    so to hear what you are all saying tell me which album to be listening to make me go    singer he is.
To be honest, if you've given all those albums a fair chance and still aren't sold on H-era Marillion then it probably isn't going to happen, at least not now (you never know how your tastes are going to shift over time, after all). You've given them more than a fair chance and taken in some of their all-time best work so if the spark ain't there, it ain't there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 123>