Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 13:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I actually really like the original Battlestar Galactica despite the cheesiness. It's not as obviously cheesy as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (but that's also more tongue-in-cheek, silly entertainment and was never as serious as the original BG).   I even rather liked Galactica 1980, even though it was pretty terrible. I was pretty critical of the re-imagined version when it came out (I was part of a sci-fi forum at the time), but I grew to really like it. I didn't finish watching the spin-off Caprica.

The first season of Buck Rogers is fun stuff. It's cheesy as hell, and unabashedly so. The main draw's the surplus of babes they stocked the show with. Episode titles like "Planet of the Slave Girls" and "Planet of the Amazon Women" tell you exactly what the showrunners had in mind. "Space Vampire" features a delicious performance by Erin Gray, the sort she likely never repeated in her career. Wink

The second season was AWFUL. Dead

Those episodes were fun, but all of those titles would have been improved with the word "Lesbian" in them. It being a family friendly show, I don't suppose that "Planet of the Lesbian Slave Girls", "Planet of the Lesbian Amazon Women", and "Space Lesbian Vampire" would have gone down well, or be made at all.

The second season was awful on the whole, but I rather liked it. A story like in the episode "The Crystals" could have worked well for the original Star Trek, I think. Good idea for a story, but it was pretty badly and cheaply executed. The "The Golden Man" was one that I liked as a kid, but I now see as so ineptly handled. Since we didn't get Christopher Lee in "Space Vampire", at least having him as Scaramanga ("The Man with the Golden Gun and Superfluous Third Nipple") dueling off against "the Golden Man" would have been something....
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 17:55

I actually really like the original Battlestar Galactica despite the cheesiness. It's not as obviously cheesy as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (but that's also more tongue-in-cheek, silly entertainment and was never as serious as the original BG).   I even rather liked Galactica 1980, even though it was pretty terrible. I was pretty critical of the re-imagined version when it came out (I was part of a sci-fi forum at the time), but I grew to really like it. I didn't finish watching the spin-off Caprica.

The first season of Buck Rogers is fun stuff. It's cheesy as hell, and unabashedly so. The main draw's the surplus of babes they stocked the show with. Episode titles like "Planet of the Slave Girls" and "Planet of the Amazon Women" tell you exactly what the showrunners had in mind. "Space Vampire" features a delicious performance by Erin Gray, the sort she likely never repeated in her career. Wink

The second season was AWFUL. Dead

Those episodes were fun, but all of those titles would have been improved with the word "Lesbian" in them. It being a family friendly show, I don't suppose that "Planet of the Lesbian Slave Girls", "Planet of the Lesbian Amazon Women", and "Space Lesbian Vampire" would have gone down well, or be made at all.

The second season was awful on the whole, but I rather liked it. A story like in the episode "The Crystals" could have worked well for the original Star Trek, I think. Good idea for a story, but it was pretty badly and cheaply executed. The "The Golden Man" was one that I liked as a kid, but I now see as so ineptly handled. Since we didn't get Christopher Lee in "Space Vampire", at least having him as Scaramanga ("The Man with the Golden Gun and Superfluous Third Nipple") dueling off against "the Golden Man" would have been something....

LOL Considering it was network TV, I think we made out pretty well!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 18:33
^

You definitely have a point... and they have four between them.   
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 19:03

^

You definitely have a point... and they have four between them.   

WinkClap
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:52
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Slow burning indeed! My wife and I watched the first three episodes, and the nay-sayers were right -- it was slow. Painfully slow. It's like the director told everyone to slow their delivery, then pause between dialog lines, and then double or triple the length of their pauses. Twenty minutes of a simple story line were stretched out to an hour. On a positive note, the cinematography, acting, and production were fine. Writing and directing? Not so much.

Big smile

Have you tried the latest Amazon show Upload? I watched the first episode this morning and that may be more to your liking. I love the humour in it especially. This is the fun end of sci-fi!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:54
Check out the Netflix show Into The Night. The first episode is a 'stormer' . French language show and pleased to see an actor who was in Black Spot also appearing in this. I am going to enjoy this. A bit like Manifest but a thousand times better! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 07:19
I don't have Netflix currently, I will get it again soon, but I liked Black Spot and Into the Night looks interesting. My eldest child has been asking me to reinstate Netflix due to wanting to watch, sort of play, Bandersnatch again.

Tomorrow, by the way, will be the Westworld season three finale. I hardly expect anything anywhere near as great as season one's finale,but hopefully it will be an "interesting" episode. Interesting being something that I've found lacking this season. On another note, I still have last season of Doctor Who PVRed and I plan to finally watch that. The Jodie/Chibnall years have been a challenge to me. I loved Capaldi and Moffat, so they were going to be really tough acts to follow.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 07:58
Just started watching Tales from the Loop. Anyone who likes dark/arty scifi will love this series.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 03:59

I don't have Netflix currently, I will get it again soon, but I liked Black Spot and Into the Night looks interesting. My eldest child has been asking me to reinstate Netflix due to wanting to watch, sort of play, Bandersnatch again.

Tomorrow, by the way, will be the Westworld season three finale. I hardly expect anything anywhere near as great as season one's finale,but hopefully it will be an "interesting" episode. Interesting being something that I've found lacking this season. On another note, I still have last season of Doctor Who PVRed and I plan to finally watch that. The Jodie/Chibnall years have been a challenge to me. I loved Capaldi and Moffat, so they were going to be really tough acts to follow.

I think on the whole I've enjoyed about 3 of the episodes is S3 but mostly it just washed over me and has never been remotely engaging on any level , but I feel that about much of it.

Finished watching For All Mankind (Apple) and that is easily my favourite show of the year. It took me a while to realise that Michael Dormer was also in the Amazon show Patriot ,one of the more interesting things they've done in recent years.

I've given up on Doctor Who and no intention of returning to it. Its been left behind by so many other things in my reckoning and I've also got fed up with it having so many companions. It just seems very silly now.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 00:41
Finding The Dark quite hard to follow. A can see the appeal of a pyschological drama with a bunch of miserable Germans (are there any other sorts lol) and missing children that have been swallowed up and maybe chucked back into 1986 . Too many characters to have to digest that and also the younger versions of themselves is just all too much for my puny little brain! Anyway I've got through about 7 episodes so will plough on.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 08:40

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

This is probably old news by now but I just started the reboot of Battlestar Galactia with Edward James Olmos.
 I was reluctant to try it because the original was so cheesy but this version is much improved. Solid cast, good writing, dark storylines. Definitely recommend it. 

Loved it. Watched it when it was new, both the initial "miniseries" (it's really a 3-hour movie) and the regular series. 

That's how you do a reboot. You keep enough of the initial concept and build a whole new narrative around it.

I like '70s Galactica, too. Anyone who says you cannot like both the old series and the reboot, tell them to come talk to me. 

Don't miss the standalone movie Battlestar Galactica: Razor. It ties in, as does The Plan (which isn't as good).

The prequel series Blood and Chrome was good, too. It chronicles Adama's early career.

However, Caprica didn't do it for me. That wasn't necessary.

I just saw the Razor the other day & liked it a lot., Just starting season 4 of BSG now.  I haven't seen any of the other spin off stuff yet but when I finish the show I'll look for it. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 08:10
Enjoyed the first Episode of The Snowpiercer . Jennifer Connelly is always good value with whatever she does. Yes it's another apocalypse drama and maybe we've had too many , but not for me! 

edit - apparently this was a film as well but I am talking about the show that just landed on Netflix.

Edited by richardh - May 25 2020 at 08:12
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 20:02
I also started watching Snowpiercer.....Connelly is ok but the show seems predictable and a bit underwhelming.
Don't care for the 'freeloaders in the rear' plot but that was apparently  also a part of the film.

If you like good drama with a b it of supernatural try City of Angels...Penny Dreadful part 2. Showtime...I liked the first season better but this has some creds with Nathan Lane ,Natalie Dormer, Rory Kinnear et al.

If you like a good quirky cop show try Longmire on Netflix....well acted tale of a sheriff with a heart in Wyoming near a a Cheyenne reservation - Robert Taylor with Lou Diamond Phillips and Katy Sackof.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 03:38
I did watch Penny Dreadful Season 1 & 2 but it lost me a bit even if it had a great cast. I don't think City Of Angels is yet available in the UK. I'm guessing that Sky (who have the rights to all Showtime and HBO shows here) will hold it back a bit given that there will be a general lack of new stuff coming on. 

Longmire - that has passed me by but I will check it out thanks. Katy Sackof - yep I enjoyed Another Life which she starred in although I watched a recent sci-fi film on Netflix she also starred in which was really bad (can't remember the name)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:50
Longmire is not available on Netflix UK and far too expensive to stream elsewhere. Good recommendation though as I like the 'Western' genre. Godless was one of my favourite things on Netflix ever.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Longmire is not available on Netflix UK and far too expensive to stream elsewhere. Good recommendation though as I like the 'Western' genre. Godless was one of my favourite things on Netflix ever.

That's too bad...it's a good modern western. You probably watched 'Deadwood' then when it was on cable....another quirky western set back in the hey day of the town.

Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 00:25
I missed out on Deadwood for some reason although I love Ian McShane. Yep I will get round to that at some point assuming that it's still available.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 19:18
I have been going through all of Twin Peaks.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 00:23
Dark Science Fact - The lockdown allowed me to get to see Chernobyl at last. I'm a Physics Teacher, so I knew all the facts, but the way they created such a dark, emotional story was very impressive. Slight parallels with the Covid-19 spread at times too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2020 at 19:44
I recommend 'His Dark Materials'....good version of Pullman's book about an alternate earth.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>