Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma´s ideology controversy. Read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 17:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Does anyone really take the frankly risible spiritual and ecological views of a sexagenarian French hippy musician seriously anyway? (10 pages of posts would suggest otherwise and also that I'm being both racist and ageist)

Oh my gawd ... are you sure you are not describing some of us old foggies here on PA?

We're kinda getting there you know?

Confused

(Doesn't say much about this board and its music tastes, does it?) Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rael View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:56
I am curious, if there were any news in this riddicoulous topic. Some of this accusations makes me laugh but before I throw my 2 cents i would like to know if there were any updates in this Matter :P BTW I noticed that there are two things discussed here. Vander's potential believes and potential message in  Magma's music. Regarding the second one: Stella Vander said so: "Magma music is apolitical, spiritual and humane" I think this pretty closes the topic of any political meaning of Magma's art.
I am a lonely man, my solitude is true,

my eyes have borne stark witness

and now my nights are numbered, too.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:13
Speaking as a fan of many years here; but the very thought of Christian sporting fascist views and a Hitler a-ok attitude is to me quite simply laughable. He may have made some strange comical remarks in his career, but if you've ever sat down and read a couple of interviews with the man, you'll see how preposterous this all sounds.

Also, Christian strikes me as a man who knows his history. He probably knows full well the restrictions on music and art in general the Nazi regime enforced when they came into power. Magma and their whole musical philosophy is positioned about as far in the opposite direction as you can possibly get.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 10 2015 at 11:13
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 13:03
Seeing that this "old" thread had been revived, I just will have people to learn this: in 2012, Vander gave an interview to the French extreme-right-wing magazine Réfléchir & Agir. Here are some links to read this interview:
http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/here-is-vander-interview-in-r.html

http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.fr/2012/07/english-translation-of-vander-interview.html

http://robert.guillerault.free.fr/magma/textes/2012/agir.htm

The interview in itself is somewhat "flat": CV talks about his music, stuff like that, and he nearly doesn't talk about politics (he just laughs at the "Nazi" insult that he and Magma endure for 40 years).
Still, the fact that he accepted an interview from this magazine is problematic: Réfléchir & Agir had been described as Neo-Fascist, they have published articles from many leaders of the French extreme-right-wing.

So, either CV is a "troll" playing with infamous rumors about his political ideas (and it sounds immature from a 60-year old man, close to the 70-year old), or he truly has some right-wing sympathies or, at least, doesn't have problems with being associated with these ideologies.
I don't know.
I can't say.
I just will listen to Zao...

Rael View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 14:41
Right wing, traditionalism or even clasic "philosopical fascist" are still different things things that nazism and does not equal with being rascist. BTW this magazine also published interview with Brigitte Bardot :P

Rael View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 14:43
And all in all: Personal views of CV don't interest me really. I was rather concerned about alleged political bias of Magma music and it was clearly stated by Stella Vander that they are apolitical.

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 20:30
It's interesting how some people can do something totally objectively moral and without any evil whatsoever, and be interpreted as evil by people who find it convenient for themselves to do so. 

Edited by brainstormer - June 12 2015 at 23:38
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011