Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 16:04
For me, it was Dream Theater. I discovered them at 14 after a friend mentioned their song Octavarium being 24 minutes long, which interested me in them. A while later, I borrowed Falling Into Infinity from another friend after I mentioned the band to him, and got hooked on that, and then I bought Octavarium a while later, and for ages that was the only prog I had. 

However, I grew more and more interested in Wikipedia's label for them: "progressive metal"... Eventually, I started looking into this genre. I listened to a radio service devoted to playing prog rock for a bit, and started listening to bands like Pink Floyd. I borrowed Images and Words from a teacher, as well as a few other CDs, and started buying the Dream Theater albums for myself. The rest, as they say, is history... ;)
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
Tychovski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:08
My parents listened to jazz, blues and folk, my grandparents on one side listened to country and on the other classical - so the foundation was set.  My then current favorite was Styx.  One day my friend's sister lent me her copies of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Close To The Edge.  I listened to them both that evening and the door was thrown wide open.  I must admit that at that age (12-ish) they both frightened me a little bit, but that was the clear starting pont.

Edited by Tychovski - November 27 2010 at 11:08
Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 15:14
Oddly enough I was sleeping in a jar under the bed and had no awareness of ho old I was.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 11:46
when I first heard "SWLABR" by Cream from "Disraeli Gears" in 69. also the song "World Of Pain" then I saw the album cover. OMG!! are you serious? This MUST be what drugs are like, hmmm interesting. I was 11. .."..so many fantastic colors...make me feel so good!"LOL

assume the power 1586/14.3
Atoms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 14:47
Hm... When was I infected by prog? Propably when I heard Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Saucerful of Secrets
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 06:51
I began to be aware of it around 1982, because I had albums by lots of artists who were considered to be Prog, a new term to me at the time. I was mostly into pop and new wave music at the time, seen Marillion's Market Square Heroes on tv and thought, that sounds very different, a few months later, I seen the Garden Party video on Top of the Pops and it blew my mind, I ran out and bought Script for a Jester's Tear, I played it 6 times that first day, it blew my mind that music like this existed  and annoyed me somewhat that what music I thought was great was actually very dull. Then I heard Marillion's sound was like Genesis, I had some Genesis albums Abacab etc and I thought I'd better check out the early stuff, Foxtrot was the next one I bought, HOLY MOTHER! A masterpiece of Prog, I remember listening to that in bed with enormous earphones, the lights off naturaly and just being swept away by the music as if transported to Narnia..Magical!
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Ozexpat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 18:53
I really have to put this down to my older sister. In 1969 she bought a single by Australian Pop Star Russell Morris called The Real Thing. It was six and a half minutes of Psych Rock that made me sit up and listen. At the age of 9, I had been exposed to something that would guide my musical taste.
She then bought an EP by Led Zeppelin which had Whole Lotta Love on it. A year later, I had albums by Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Frank Zappa.
The next few years just got better and better. I added the obvious to the portfolio plus a few more obscure acts (Sebastian Hardie,Ayers Rock, Airlord). I took that natural side road into Fusion and have happily survived on a diet of both since.
Prog has opened up other horizons for me as well. It intoduced me to classical, folk, bluegrass, jazz and many other forms of music that make up my collection.
Most people, I know, think I am a dinosaur.
Well, long live the dinosaur. I say !   
And for a moment when our world had filled the skies, Magic turned our eyes,
To feast on the treasure set for our strange device
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 20:18
I bought "In the court of the Crimson King" when I was around 18 years old and straight after I became addicted (or infected as the thread's author quite correctly implied from the beginning) to this genre. Like a magnet on to iron.
Then I plunged myself into the Area's world and from that day on my passion started growing stronger and stronger. No turning back ever since.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 01:05
I've always been into Rush, even as a kid hearing their hits on the radio all the time and then discovering what all they had to offer later on.  And I've always liked bands like Tool, Pink Floyd and Yes, not even realizing that they were prog, but I probably got heavily into progressive rock at the end of 2008 when a friend of mine told me about Porcupine Tree.  Soon after, I had to have anything and everything released by them and then this past summer, I discovered so many great prog bands that I probably bought close to 50 or so new prog albums to really immerse myself into this huge and diverse genre.  Some of the bands/projects that I'm really into are Porcupine Tree, Rush, Riverside, Osada Vida, Oceansize, The Pineapple Thief, Lunatic Soul, Indukti, Karnivool, Sky Architect, Pink Floyd, Yes, Tool and Transatlantic (although the vocals annoy me a wee bit in this band).

I'm still finding more great bands pretty much every week that I really enjoy!
d-doggy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 22:00
Well this really made think of when I did start listen to PR. I just turn 56 and and have an album  of over 4000 lps. In younger years maybe 14, KSHE 95 was what we listen to then at that time, lot of music came across on that station that I still love to listen to. Cannot remember who many concerts I`ve been to. Having just found this site it will give  me somewhere else to go to besides the radio. thank you for this!
timburlane View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 17:50
Two albums started it off for me neither of which are classic prog per se: Autobahn by kraftwerk and A Night at the Opera by Queen. Combine the sounds of those two albums and there you have a lot of what I like about prog
never eat anything bigger than your head
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 18:42
It was about 1975 (may have been earlier). A friend at school played me Fragile by Yes and I was hooked! I reckon it was because of that bassline even though I was more interested in 6 strings at that time. I then listened to all my friends Yes stuff he had at that time.
I really love the Yes Album, Fragile, and Close To The Edge but my fave Yes album is Relayer, it was then and it still is.Cool
Tony C.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 18:55
I think when I got it from the toilet seat.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

metallicprogress View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:10

My most memorable was Fates Warning, I was hooked by progmetal, but before that Deep Purple, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, I just didn't think of it as prog back then just music. lol

Dream Theater also amazed me with the Images and Words album, but I was already into prog before that I just don't remember a defining moment before as to me it was just great music when I discovered it. :)
Subscribe to Metallic Progress at:
http://metallicprogress.blogspot.com/
jdark22 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 21:48
  Hello, I would have to say that I can remember several defining moment when I got infected. First one to come to mind is when a friend introduced me to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. Oh my, what a masterpiece. I could not believe what an incredible/outrageous/beautiful/technically masterful piece of music I listened to or should I say experienced. We were  freshmen in high school at the time. A time when i consider to be an  incredible time of musical explosion. Thank God I was able to experience it ! 
  Another time was a few years later when I went to a New Year's Eve concert  At the Tower Theater in Philly to see Kansas. WOW talk about a great band. My friend and I will always recall how we loved Kansas well before they became so popular. 
 Shall I go on ? Well Ok. last minor experience was when I purchase 3 albums/vinyl remember those/ =Tull /Minstrel in the Gallery   Genesis / Selling England  and Eric Clapton / EC was Here. I remember getting the albums during lunch in possibly senior year. What a coup for listening pleasure. 

However, I must say that if you lived during this time period anyone could come up with several defining moments !

Thanx Progarchives for introducing me to many new and wonderful music! Especially Marillion. What a treasure .
jdark22
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 06:04
The first prog albums I listened to were Liquid Tension Experiment 2 and Scenes From a Memory back in 2002-2003, by that time I was starting to fall in love with power metal... Anyway, I thought the records mentioned were awesome, but I was a teenage who loved speed, power chords and big walls of strings and choirs chanting stories of heroes and dragons... As my interest in this genre increased I discovered Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Kamelot, Opeth and others prog metal bands though I really wasn't into prog by then... by the same time a friend got me into 7for4 and Stramonio, I think it was in 2006, my last year in highschool....

I think the first prog Band I really fell in love with was Pain of Salvation in 2007.. yeah it was metal but there was something else in their music that kinda changed my mind. The first time I listened to People Passing By I was like "OMFG what the hell is this?!"... but I really got infected by prog when I listened to the song "In the Court of the Crimson King" by Steve Hackett a year later, and it was all a coincidence!!! I was searching for some Bruce Dickinson's song, King in Crimson, on youtube when I found this video from The Tokyo Tapes... 

Anyway, it was a really sad point in my life, I decided to quit University that year and I didn't know how to tell my parents about it, I was living alone and didn't know what I was going to do with my life... When I heard that mellotron I just couldn't believe it, I broke up in tears... then I got ITCOTKC and the rest is history.

So... thanks  to youtube and thanks to Bruce Dickinson for getting me into prog =)
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Vince View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:13
It's fun to read all the different stories, and the different bands that got everyone infected! I bet you that, like myself, that first prog album that got you hooked is still one of your top favorites today... Smile

As for myself, I guess I could say it was a two stage thing. Stage 1: when I was about 7 years old, me and a friend were flipping through my dad's record collection. We were drawn to one album because of the strange cover. We put the album on and we thought the music was somewhat funny. But we listened to it a few times actually. That album, strangely, was Triumvirat's Spartacus. I actually don't know to this day, why that album was in my father's collection, because he's a jazz man. He only had jazz albums, plus some popular oldies. That Triumvirat one was really out of place. But anyhow, without knowing it, I got infected by prog at that moment. But the bug lay dormant inside me for years after that.

I didn't even listen to much music after that. Only what my parents were listening to on the radio. When I was about 13, I started buying K-tel albums, so obviously pop was my thing. But that's when I really started listening to music. Shortly after, I enrolled into the Columbia House Records and Tapes Club, as it was named back then. My first 10 LP's I got from a friend's recommendation. At that time I started getting into hard-rock and metal (Def Leppard, Dokken, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, to name a few, all of which I still like today), even though a Rush album was in the pack. Exit... Stage Left it was, but I didn't really listen to it.

Stage 2: I think I was 16, and I met someone who was a fan of Genesis. I knew Genesis, but the more pop 80's version of them. He had all their albums on tape. There was one album he had te re-buy, because it wasn't playing right anymore in his tape deck. I guess because he listened to it too often. So he gave that one to me to try in my deck, and he told me if it worked in my deck, I could keep it. I tried it, and it was playing fine in my dad's high quality tape player. Well, I was simply blown away by none other than Genesis' Foxtrot. At that precise moment, the bug woke up and infected my entire being.

Big smile
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work until it's opened"... Frank Zappa.
RafaelRuiz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 11:08
I was 15 and the only music I really cared about was heavy metal, then, I listened to Dream Theater, my jaw dropped to the floor and a jaw-less kid got interested in bands like Queenrysche, Symphony X, Ayreon, Devin Townsend, Opeth...

Then I checked this page and some great prog rock albums, using the way "If you like this band you will also like this one", and that's the way I discovered most of the prog music I know, I'm 16 now, so...
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 10:50
In 1975, from a cheap, liquored-up floozie in Benidorm.

No, wait..........that was syphilis.

I always get those two mixed up!

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
mourningknight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 12:16
I was around 6. It was 1975 or 1976. My parents always had great music laying around but I remember them playing Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here all the time. I knew it was affecting me and I would sometimes ask them to play them. They also had A Day At The Races and News Of The World which I loved as well. Then I went through a major Kiss phase from 8-10 and they were all that mattered, lol. When I was 11 or 12 I discovered many more incredible bands and albums ( ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc..) on my own and the rest is history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>