Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 61>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:04
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ Like most albums, this one needs a few more spins to let the melodies sink in.

Had that vibe about it. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 17:25
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Nah...I wouldn´t write reviews like that today. The description of the music is still valid LOL, but I don´t use terms like "How this album got a score right now that says 4.28 is unbelievable to me" anymore. I´m actually in the process of slowly going through each of my reviews, either completely re-writing them or doing major or minor edits, so this one will get an overhaul too some time in the future Smile.

I did that as well Jonas even though it was time consuming. Not that everything is the way I want but it's better.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

David has a very tactile way of describing music.  He uses descriptions that first make me say "WHA??" and then I think about it and and say "He's right, you know."

LOL Well said Steve. David has a unique way with words for sure.
Nice review of Honeyelk Sagi. I gave it 4 stars but felt I was rounding up. I enjoy it a lot but it does have a lot of non-moments if that makes any sense.

LOL Exactly. Non moments is a fine description. Of course I read your fine review, and like I said I think a lot of people would appreciate this album if they gave it a little more time, it is a grower, and just a tad short of 4 stars.

The EP version from 79' , as I mentioned, is actually a different mix so the outcome is a little different too. It's rougher and a little louder in parts, and I know you like that  Tongue. Have you ever had the chance to listen to this version?

Never had the opportunity to hear the original Sagi, but your right there's a very good chance i'd like it better.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 19:21
By the way Sagi your avatar reminded me about an upcoming release from Robert Wyatt. A posthumous release actually he recorded after Soft Machine opened for Hendrix in the USA in 1968. Wyatt stayed in America and recorded some tunes with the help of Hendrix on bass for one track. It has the first version of Moon In June at almost 21 minutes. The first half of the song like the other tunes were recorded in the USA but the second half was recorded in the UK with Hopper and Ratledge adding their talents. It will be released by Cuneiform in early October apparently.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 19:34

By the way Sagi your avatar reminded me about an upcoming release from Robert Wyatt. A posthumous release actually he recorded after Soft Machine opened for Hendrix in the USA in 1968. Wyatt stayed in America and recorded some tunes with the help of Hendrix on bass for one track. It has the first version of Moon In June at almost 21 minutes. The first half of the song like the other tunes were recorded in the USA but the second half was recorded in the UK with Hopper and Ratledge adding their talents. It will be released by Cuneiform in early October apparently.
Shocked Wow.  I'll look out for that.  I'm always game for another Softs-related Cuneiform release.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Shocked Wow.  I'll look out for that.  I'm always game for another Softs-related Cuneiform release.

I've been reading Udi Koomran's glowing remarks about it as he has an advanced copy. He says it's one of the very best archival recordings he's ever heard. Great sound quality too. It includes an in depth interview with Wyatt by Canterbury expert Aymeric Leroy, apparently talking about those early days.
I'm excited about hearing these as well Steve.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 19:53
Oh another thing not really related to this upcoming release, but Wyatt talked in an interview about when the tour with Hendrix ended Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix's drummer) approached Wyatt and told him he couldn't bear watching him play that set of drums any longer and gave Wyatt his own custom drum set for free. Such a cool story. Wyatt would play that custom set until he quit drumming.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 02:24

Yes I remember this short tune, it was available on utube, so cool actually, but I wonder if there's more. I didn't know about the Wyatt official release, that will be so great, thanks for the heads up!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 04:18
trying this
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 08:09
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Nah...I wouldn´t write reviews like that today. The description of the music is still valid LOL, but I don´t use terms like "How this album got a score right now that says 4.28 is unbelievable to me" anymore. I´m actually in the process of slowly going through each of my reviews, either completely re-writing them or doing major or minor edits, so this one will get an overhaul too some time in the future Smile.

LOLSorry Jonas, but I don't think it needs an overhaul. Like I said, I really dig it, and I happen to prefer reviews as they were, so as you can see a natural progression happening with the writer. For those of us who don't speak English as our first language, it is furthermore a pretty cool way of seeing just how much we better ourselves. Sometimes I go back and read my earliest reviews, and some of them are littered in misspelling and atrocious word constellations, yet I refuse to re-write them, so I can return to them in 5 years time and be even more horrified by their "quality"LOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 16:18
To each his own I guess Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:38
A shout out to Michael for that Djam Karet review. I need to get that one, it sort of sounds like it might be like their "Still No Commercial Potential" release which was improvized.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:44
It's an altogether different beast. Think modern take on Klaus Schulze's Cyborg mixed together with Far East Family Band and Djam Karet's own distinct style. Feels like a Krautrock album to these ears. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:44
Oh, are you serious John, I thought I dribbled all sorts of nonsense in that one lol!! I think there were glimpses of helpful info, the rest was a colourful rainbow of incoherence!

Thank you though, I hope you end up enjoying the album as much as I, Ian and Dave did!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 05:31
Just want to point out Dave's recent review of `Hypothesis' by Vangelis.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1016614

Dave, I heard that album years ago and absolutely hated it! I remember it came on a CD with one of my favourite albums of his, `The Dragon', a faultness work to me. I couldn't belieive the two were paired together like that, what an insult.

Anyway, just a day ago at that record fair I mentioned, I came across an LP of this, looked at it, scoffed and put it back....

With your review, it really makes me wish I'd taken the plunge and given it a chance again. Time to approach it with fresh ears years later and see how I go. There's another fair in 3 weeks, so if that same vendor is there with the LP unsold, I'll grab it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 10:43
Thanks man!
And don't worry Mike - I didn't get Hypothesis the first time around eitherLOL 
You should definitely try again imo. If only for getting the intriguing art work, and moreover for the coolness you achieve by having one of the most unlikely Vangelis records in your possessionBig smile 

What really threw me off though was that Rob posted an excellent review of it short after. He rated it 4 stars as well, which is something I would never have expectedShocked

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:07
Funny you mention the artwork, Dave, because the sleeve on the copy I came across was in immaculate condition, looked beautiful, was only $15 too.

Hopefully at that next fair.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:15
I'll cross my fingers.

It just might've sold though - just because it's Vangelis. 
I can just imagine this middle aged school teacher sitting by the stereo, suddenly realising what he's boughtLOL

Oh dang, I forgot! Did you get that TD album Mike?

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 12 2013 at 11:16

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'll cross my fingers.
I can just imagine this middle aged school teacher sitting by the stereo, suddenly realising what he's boughtLOL

NO!! That vendor - first time EVER - was not there...but there's another fair in three weeks, and he's often at that one too, so fingers crossed!

I did pick up something that I haven't listened to yet that I wonder if you;ve heard - Acidmotherguruguru, a merging of the two bands, for $10 sealed on CD. I also got a couple of 90's Kraan and Guru Guru albums, will let you know how they turn out.

But I'm most eager to tell you about a live Klaus Schulze from 1994 called `Live at Royal Festival Hall - vol 2', which has totaly taken me by surprise. The 44 minute piece on it appeals to the dark side in me that loved `Blackdance' so much, and I think you'll be surprised how I interpreted it in a review I'm putting together right now. It's like a terrifying, dark sexual fantasy!!

But I can't believe you just reviewed that Popul Vuh album, I only listened to that a day ago!! Really brooding and heavy-going, like `Alpha Centauri' by TD. The vinyl I've got....it seems to have an extra two pieces on it, do you know much about them?

Currently listening to the first volume of Schulze's `La Vie Electronique' series, I bet you'd enjoy those as well, those same eerie organ drones.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'll cross my fingers.

NO!! That vendor - first time EVER - was not there...but there's another fair in three weeks, and he's often at that one too, so fingers crossed!

I did pick up something that I haven't listened to yet that I wonder if you;ve heard - Acidmotherguruguru, a merging of the two bands, for $10 sealed on CD. I also got a couple of 90's Kraan and Guru Guru albums, will let you know how they turn out.

But I'm most eager to tell you about a live Klaus Schulze from 1994 called `Live at Royal Festival Hall - vol 2', which has totaly taken me by surprise. The 44 minute piece on it appeals to the dark side in me that loved `Blackdance' so much, and I think you'll be surprised how I interpreted it in a review I'm putting together right now. It's like a terrifying, dark sexual fantasy!!

But I can't believe you just reviewed that Popul Vuh album, I only listened to that a day ago!! Really brooding and heavy-going, like `Alpha Centauri' by TD. The vinyl I've got....it seems to have an extra two pieces on it, do you know much about them?

Currently listening to the first volume of Schulze's `La Vie Electronique' series, I bet you'd enjoy those as well, those same eerie organ drones.

Arhh nuts! 
I hope you get it at some point, Mike. It's a real stunner. 
Looking forward to that Schulze review. It's incidentally of an album I know nothing aboutEmbarrassed  
I only own La Vie Electronique 6, but I'm definitely getting the rest. 3 discs with over an hour of music on each. I think I paid 14 dollars for it, and just the two cuts from the first cd called Schwanensee make it worthwhile. They were meant for a ballet, but ended up as vault material instead. 

The two extra pieces of IdGP called Kha-White l and ll are equally impressive and much in the same vein as their predecessors. I didn't mention this in my review - maybe I should've, but I decided to make my main focus the original album.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 61>