FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 434>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 10:07
^It's a f**king American politics thread. The reason it makes no f**king sense is because almost all American politicians are f**ked up like you wouldn't believe.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:19
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Can someone please tell me what the f**k is the purpose of this thread? Thank-you.
For not taking life so seriously. Thank-you.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:22
This is not exactly about American politics, but there might be a connection:

I'm not joking when I say that in general all over the globe really really stupid things are happening practically all the time now, and what makes it alarming is that the rate at which such things are happening seems to be increasing almost exponentially. I'd be happy to give lots of examples on request, but there's not enough room here. A host of them can be found in present US politics. But that's only one of many.

People all over the world seem to be losing their faculties more and more. I'm not talking about an IQ drop, that could be measured, but sensible judgement seems to be on the decline. I don't have any doubt about this, based on both permanent personal observations and research into an ever growing number of cases in the public domain. It's a fascinating study.

Based on assuming that this decline is a fact, the question is: what could be causing this? Is it the media or the excruciatingly stupid TV programing, or is it the plague of mobile networks that apparently nobody can do without any more, social media perhaps, or is it something else?

I've no idea what's been causing this over the last 15 years or so, but I'm certain there must be something. Any opinions here about this (without any barmy conspiracy theories)? I think it's a side effect of something we haven't realised yet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:26
It's my take that the world is radically changing due to globalization, and many people are opposed to this forced communion with foreign countries and are losing their cookies over it. Aside from that, I don't have a clue.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:41
Well, at least I haven't been shot down (yet).

Personally I'm wondering whether it might be that we're suffering from acute overdose of information accompanied by the constant demand for snap decisions. I see this every day in my working life. I have the destinct impression that the flood of information prevents its sorting and sensible processing because this takes time which we don't grant ourselves any more. Then again, I might be completely off beam here.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's my take that the world is radically changing due to globalization, and many people are opposed to this forced communion with foreign countries and are losing their cookies over it. Aside from that, I don't have a clue.

Yes, but the same is occurring on the left, and they haven't lost any sensible judgement. The right on the other hand has either gone wacko or has adopted wackos as their figureheads.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:50
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Well, at least I haven't been shot down (yet).

Personally I'm wondering whether it might be that we're suffering from acute overdose of information accompanied by the constant demand for snap decisions. I see this every day in my working life. I have the destinct impression that the flood of information prevents its sorting and sensible processing because this takes time which we don't grant ourselves any more. Then again, I might be completely off beam here.
Yes indeed.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 11:59
Erm, ... that seems to be a very even-handed answer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 12:24
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Erm, ... that seems to be a very even-handed answer.
Oh, um, yes indeed. I was referring to the thrust of your post, not to the part about you being off the beam. I think people get lots of information and don't know how to evaluate the source.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 13:24
Could it be because more of these types of "wacko" incidents are being reported because mass media is everywhere, whereas in the distant past a lot of this stuff wasn't reported or didn't warrant publication in a newspaper? Could it be that there are a LOT more people on the planet than there were 20 years ago or 100 years ago?

If the percentages in population shows an increase, I could be convinced of this theory.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 14:45
I think that we are roughly over 3.5 billion over our capacity. The Earth's bounty can only accommodate  roughly 4 billion humans. We have to find other things to do other than sexy sexysexy. Voompa voompa voompa. Boucny bouncy bouncy. 

They're protesting Trump's new hotel in Vancouver on the news right now.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 14:48
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I think that we are roughly over 3.5 billion over our capacity. The Earth's bounty can only accommodate  roughly 4 billion humans. We have to find other things to do other than sexy sexysexy. Voompa voompa voompa. Boucny bouncy bouncy. 

They're protesting Trump's new hotel in Vancouver on the news right now.

Mmmm......I think a word with the misuses is in order. I quite like the sound of sexy, sexy, sexy, voompa, voompa, voompa, and bouncy, bouncy, bouncy
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 18:50
Malthusianism is bunk
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 20:20
President Trump was Elected in November, inaugurated in January, but he became President of the United States tonight.   Amazing Speech. 

If President Trump keeps his promises, then America will be Great.  And the world will be better for it.  No doubt Trump can talk the talk, let's hope he can walk the walk.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 20:47
So I'm going to guess that he finally apologized to all the people he has insulted, and denounced Putin as a war monger.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 20:49
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

The media lies.  I stand by that opinion.

There are biases, certainly, but lies are a different matter altogether. Trump has referred to the NY Times as "fake news", which is clearly a lie in and of itself. Please remember, the same NY Times reporter who released the news that Michael Flynn illegally spoke about lifting sanctions with the Russians (which led to his eventual resignation, and was clearly not "fake news"), was also the reporter who first reported information on the Hilary Clinton email scandal.

As far as this PewDiePie person, I have no idea who it is, or what it has to do with political reporting; personally, it seems much ado about nothing. From the little I've read about the imbecile, he managed to anger his viewers by paying two Indian men to hold up a sign that said "Death to Jews". Sorry, you do something like that, there are consequences, and you get labelled an a**hole. Much like the alt-right darling Milo Y. lost his fascist followers by espousing the joys of pedophilia.

In regards to specific newspapers endorsing for presidential candidates, that has been the case since the founding of the country. Every major big city newspaper, whether conservative or liberal, not only endorses presidential candidates, but senators, congressman and also local elections like mayors and councilman. You utterly lack historical perspective in this regard.

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Do you believe The Washington Post reports only the truth? 

By and large, I would say yes. They fact check, and they also print corrections if there is something misreported (which is something Fox News has never done, like their recent Swedish Defense and National Security Adviser who no one in Sweden ever heard of). 

I would also say that Donald Trump has told more lies in the last month than the Post has in a few years. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 01:51
I myself have grave doubts about news reporting on both political sides, but not so much about the actual truth content. That in itself is worrying, of course, but not the point I'm trying to make.

Press and media are supposed to report impartially on all and any events, saving points of view for commentaries. I now have the impression though that we are presented almost exclusively with commentaries masquerading as impartial news. It's just that the left wing reporting is doing a marginally better job at hiding it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 04:16
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but the same is occurring on the left, and they haven't lost any sensible judgement. The right on the other hand has either gone wacko or has adopted wackos as their figureheads.
True. Without wanting to point too many fingers (oh, what the hell, it is a political thread) it's the left that embraces and encourages globalization which fires up the right, or right leaning peoples. The left said TPP was good, the right said no way, etc., etc. And so it goes. And will go on forever more.

Edited by SteveG - March 01 2017 at 04:18
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 04:58
If you say that the left hasn't lost any sensible judgement, I would like to say that they have their own views, just like everyone else. But they certainly haven't got their sh*t together.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 05:33
I've just read about Trump's first speech before congress, and I'm highly amused.

Apparently he got through the whole thing with only the occasional bout of insanity, and reports are full of optimism that this might signal the end of all the crazy. Anyone wanna bet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 434>