FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 09:46
Anyone got anything good on the menu this holiday weekend? We're having friends over on Monday for a cookout and doing brats boiled in beer the way my in-laws in Wisconsin have taught me. Pretty amazing stuff...and with sweet vidalia onions in season, it only enhances these little babies!!!

Happy Memorial Day weekend. Don't forget to put your American flags out.

E
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 11:21
E, parents are in town and I got some brats as well!  By the way, I did try cooking them in beer a couple weeks ago and they were so much better then just grilling...thanks for the tip!

We'll just do standard picnic stuff, burgers, brats, maybe some cole slaw or potato salad...and of course plenty of good local beer (mmm).
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 12:12
My wife is perfecting her lasagne recipe right now. I'll be having a good meal in about an hour and half Smile

For lunch I stole one of Jamie Oliver's ideas: grill a steak (or fry in a little butter) of about a quarter inch thick - I usually have to make two slices out of one steak. Take a fresh piece of baguette slice open, and spread spicy mustard on both parts. Put some rocket salad and the steak between the two pieces and try not to spill while eating. Not an original of mine, but definitely a favourite lunch dish.

Tomorrow I'm going to try something new in the area of roast beef, but I haven't decided on what.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 13:14
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

E, parents are in town and I got some brats as well!  By the way, I did try cooking them in beer a couple weeks ago and they were so much better then just grilling...thanks for the tip!We'll just do standard picnic stuff, burgers, brats, maybe some cole slaw or potato salad...and of course plenty of good local beer (mmm).

NS, you can't beat finishing grilled brats off in a pot of boiling beer, onions, and butter. The family coming over have been over before and the husband specifically requested them.

As for beer, I got some Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Have you tried this? Man alive, it's got such a fresh taste to it. Perfect for the summer.

My mouth is a waterin'!

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 13:16
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

My wife is perfecting her lasagne recipe right now. I'll be having a good meal in about an hour and half SmileFor lunch I stole one of Jamie Oliver's ideas: grill a steak (or fry in a little butter) of about a quarter inch thick - I usually have to make two slices out of one steak. Take a fresh piece of baguette slice open, and spread spicy mustard on both parts. Put some rocket salad and the steak between the two pieces and try not to spill while eating. Not an original of mine, but definitely a favourite lunch dish.Tomorrow I'm going to try something new in the area of roast beef, but I haven't decided on what.

Angelo,

What's rocket salad?

I liked watching Jamie Oliver a lot on FoodTV, but they took him off. I like the way that guy prepared food. Very rustic with little fuss. Sort of like an English version of our own Tyler Florence.

$#@&! I still haven't done your curry. I need to print that off.

E
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 14:58
Hey Erik, I thought we mentioned rocket (or rucola) before:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Eruc_sat.html

Edited by Angelo - May 26 2007 at 14:59
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 20:01
Tonight it was chicken quesadillas, southwestern cream style corn, and homemade guacamole. First time I've ever made it and it turned out really good. Sort of hard to screw it up, though.

E
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 20:05
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Tonight it was chicken quesadillas, southwestern cream style corn, and homemade guacamole. First time I've ever made it and it turned out really good. Sort of hard to screw it up, though.

E

unless you get a hold of bad avocados.. few things worse, whether under or overripe.

tonight sliced chicken breast pan fried with olives (good black Italian), tomatoes, bacon, and a little white wine or beer.. over pasta.

Edited by Atavachron - May 27 2007 at 20:08
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 13:17

Anybody ever have breakfast for dinner? We just had bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast. Some of my favorite dinners are breakfast items.

E

When my wife is out with friends I let my daughter decide what she would like me to cook for supper. It always ends up as either pan fried atlantic salmon filets with rice and corn (her absolute favourite supper) or if we have no salmon she wants "breakfast for supper", and that is exactly what we call it. It usually consists of oven baked crispy bacon, fried eggs, fried potatoes, toasted bagels and watermelon.

BTW, love some of the ideas here, will definitely try my hand at a few.
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 15:04
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

BTW, love some of the ideas here, will definitely try my hand at a few.

Here's another one:

Take a 0.6 kgs (1.5 lbs) beef tenderloin. Spread both sides with sweet mustard (or spicy, if you like that better), and sprinkle with freshly chopped rosemary leaves. Brown on all sides over a high flame for a couple of minutes in butter (for color) and olive oil (for heat), then put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 190 deg celcius. Turn to other side, and add chopped zuchini, carrot and onion. Put back in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring the vegetables around.

Service with oven baked patatoes, preferably cut in quarters before baking, and of course without skinning them.

It's simple, ready in half an hour and very good!
ISKC Rock Radio
Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 15:59
^ mmm, thanks Angelo.

I regularly rub my pork and lamb roasts with mustard, my favourite being a nice grainy one with a bit of zip to it.
I haven't tried it with beef before (same with the rosemary) but will make a note to give it a whirl. It sounds like this will turn out medium rare, is that correct?

Do the carrots in this recipe turn out soft? Or are they firm with a bit of a crunch to them? My family prefers soft so I would probably stick in the carrots for the first ten minutes also.

Oh, and potatoes with skins on, absolutely - love 'em that way!
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 16:13
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

^ mmm, thanks Angelo.

I regularly rub my pork and lamb roasts with mustard, my favourite being a nice grainy one with a bit of zip to it.
I haven't tried it with beef before (same with the rosemary) but will make a note to give it a whirl. It sounds like this will turn out medium rare, is that correct?

Do the carrots in this recipe turn out soft? Or are they firm with a bit of a crunch to them? My family prefers soft so I would probably stick in the carrots for the first ten minutes also.

Oh, and potatoes with skins on, absolutely - love 'em that way!

The beef was medium, but I have to say the piece I used yesterday was rather flat, so it gets done quicker in the middle. If you have a more round piece, you may need to put it in a bit longer - as of course when you use a bigger piece.
The carrots are just beyond crunchy, so still a little 'tough', but without the crack. ConfusedWink
ISKC Rock Radio
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2007 at 09:23
There's this really good BBQ sauce made out of Michigan by a company called Cherry Republic. As you can surmise from the name, this place makes products centered around cherries. I normally like a bolder sauce, but this stuff is absolutely incredible. Thinking about buying a slab of baby back ribs and doing some grilling either today or tomorrow.

E
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 01:58
a neighbor invited me to try some of their oxtail stew.. it was quite good.

tomorrow will try a nice pork dish; pan fry apple slices in a little oil and butter till tender. In same pan with apples, sear two pork chops, cook together till pork is medium. Remove pork and add a bit of orange juice, sugar and sage to pan and deglaze/reduce on meduim heat till sauce thickens a bit.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 08:37
^^^^Have you ever marinated your pork chops in apple cider? Really good technique. Apple goes with pork about as well as rosemary goes with pork. Really does sound good, though.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 08:40

There's this really good BBQ sauce made out of Michigan by a company called Cherry Republic. As you can surmise from the name, this place makes products centered around cherries. I normally like a bolder sauce, but this stuff is absolutely incredible. Thinking about buying a slab of baby back ribs and doing some grilling either today or tomorrow.

E

I slow cooked my ribs last night for about 4 hours in a really low oven (around 250°) and will throw them on the grill (indirect heat) for about a half and hour to infuse the BBQ sauce today. Also doing twice baked potatoes and salad. Invited my mom up (who can really use some family right now) today, so should be good family time.

E
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 08:47
Mouthwatering... all of it.

I put ribs in the fridge last night, coated in a mixture of cane sugar, tomato ketchup, ginger and very finely chopped onion. Tonight, I will remove the excess marinade and onion, and add some vinegar and a bit of water to create a barbecue sauce, while the ribs are on the grill. I didn't pre-cook the ribs this time, let's see what happens in a closed barbecue with indirect heat.
ISKC Rock Radio
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 22:51
Last night, roasted chicken with rosemary and grape tomatoes and to wash it down a bottle of Vernaccia di San Gimignano.  Tonight was cast-iron pan seared NY strip steak (couldn't grill, it was pouring), mashed potatoes with white cheddar cheese and chipotle sauce, and oven roasted asparagus, washed down with a couple glasses of Chianti.

If you haven't guessed, the missus and I love Italian wine.  Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 05:07

^^^^Have you ever marinated your pork chops in apple cider? Really good technique. Apple goes with pork about as well as rosemary goes with pork. Really does sound good, though.

E

yes, apple juice works beautifully. I really would like to use more fruit with meat, they marry so well. Dreid fruits with pork and poultry (stuffing as well).. apricots, prunes, cranberries, raisins

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 13:20
Here's one for flavour freaks, make 'to taste' so no quantities:

Create a thin, but not runny sauce by mixing olive oil, vinegar, freshly pressed orange juice and some rosemary. Serve over a grilled salmon filet.

Make a bit thinner (e.g. by adding a little extra vinegar or some water) and it becomes a great salad dressing as well.

Just an idea I tried today (the salmon version that is).
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 156>