Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 11:14
I had purchased 90125 in 1983 because of the song Owner Of A Lonely Heart and I saw that there were several other albums by Yes available. Having heard nothing else by them, I decided that Classic Yes would be a good choice (best-of package). When the first notes of Heart Of The Sunrise came blaring from my speakers, you could have knocked me over with a feather. I had heard nothing like it before in my life, but like a junkie, I knew I needed to find more.....and I've been a prog fan since then.

Edited by scaife - January 21 2011 at 11:15
spacface View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 14:17
When I was 12, 90125 was the album amongst my nerdy friends.  I don't think any of us had any inkling of who these guys were, but we loved it.  Flash forward a few years when I went into a record store to buy a copy of Pink Floyd's Meddle (I loved the Floyd but still had no idea about prog, ELP was the band I associated prog with).  The guy behind the counter put on a disc he thought I'd like as well.  It was Fragile, and I finally made the connection.  From then on, I've loved the prog, not always to exclusion like these days, but it was the beginning of my journey.
Ixirn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:33

I think it started when I was taking guitar lessons when I was around nine or ten. I had this great guitar teacher who was a huge fan of Pink Floyd, so pretty much all of his students sooner or later ended up playing "Is There Anybody Out There?" at some random concert. I loved that piece and a couple of years later I wanted to hear the original, so I borrowed The Wall (on vinyl of course) from my friends father. I decided to make a copy of it on cd, and when it was finished I was so proud of my version (complete with a remake of the cover designed in paint with a downloaded "The Wall"-font), that I decided to show it to my guitar teacher. He was impressed, and asked me if I would make cd copies of all their albums from his mint/near mint collection, and in return I got all of the albums (yes, that would be all of their studio albums in near mint condition, including a first pressing of Obscured By Clouds, given away for a few nights work to a 13-year old). The transfer to cd of course made me listen to all of it, and I liked what I heard, so I continued to listen.

When I think about it now The Wall actually sounded strangely familiar the first time I remember hearing it. It's possible that I'd heard it a few times when I was four or five at a friends house. (Not the same friend. This one moved away soon after that.) I found out later that his father was a huge fan of Pink Floyd too and listens to it a lot all the time, so that might have been where it all started. The only thing I can be absolutely positive about is that The Wall got me started on prog. Marillion dragged me further in when I was sixteen or so, and ? by Neal Morse finally pulled me into the deep interesting sea of prog.

Edited by Ixirn - January 27 2011 at 17:24
JakeMM626 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 09:03
I think I started listening to Genesis when I was 9 or 10. and then Yes by the time I was 11. I think that can pin it for me.
kglenz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 20:20
I was born in 1971 - to religious parents, no older brothers, small town - so the 80's started taking over. Because of groups like Boston, Kansas, Yes, Rush, Deep Purple, who did a few commercial sounding albums during that period I noticed them on the radio & listened deeper into their albums. Plus, being a musician, it was difficult for me to listen to The Beatles pop & then try & take "safety dance" seriously. Same with lyrics & musicianship, after connecting with metal, jazz, classical, blues, folk & progressive country music, I found it difficult to appreciate so much of the sub-mental pop machine acts. 
annecat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2011 at 01:45
(This is actually my first comment ever on this site, hopefully it is okay to respond in an existing thread like this rather than starting a "hi I'm new!" topic in the introductions forum. But I digress).

Anyway, I was born in 1978. Like many (if not most) humans I recall noticing and liking certain bits of music starting at a very young age. My dad was into a lot of bands that I only now realize would be considered prog (Jethro Tull, Yes, etc.) so possibly that made an impression even before I was capable of forming conscious memories, but who knows.

It took me a while to get into any rock music at all of my own accord; if you'd asked me when I was twelve what my favorite song was, I'd likely have reported it was a tie between Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor" and John Williams' "Star Wars" orchestral theme music. Essentially I've been shamelessly nerdy practically since birth, and always had a hard time relating to the kinds of music my peers in the 80s and 90s were listening to growing up. I mean I liked a few random things I saw on MTV back as early as kindergarten but mostly my personal choices in musical entertainment up until I was in junior high mainly consisted of bizarre British "children's songs", classical pieces, and movie themes/show tunes.

Then, when I was in 7th grade, my music teacher for some reason decided to play Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" to the class. And I was utterly astounded that such a piece of music even existed. Thus started my quest for "more like this, pls". I ended up acquiring casette copies (some directly recorded from LPs belonging to family friends, etc.) of several other Queen albums and really got into them -- at least when it came to the earlier material. While I understand that some bands like to experiment with different sounds and themes over time, I still can't really get into most of Queen's 80s/90s material. What really drew me in was the stuff with the supremely layered multi-track guitar and vocal recordings on albums like "A Night at the Opera". That and "Queen II" remain my favorite albums of theirs.

By high school I'd become deeply infatuated with Pink Floyd...the very first CD I ever bought with my own money was "The Wall". Listened to that one a lot, along with my dad's "Dark Side of the Moon", and then discovered "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and was amazed all over again.

Of course eventually I got curious about other artists, and it has only been over the past year that I've realized the common thread in the music I like most: that is, it tends to be either prog or share characteristics with prog (in terms of scope, subject matter, etc.).

As in, give me 20-minute shamelessly bombastic epics that quote Tolkien or expound on existential questions ANY day over the stuff that I guess is supposed to be more "relatable". Not that I disdain punky or bluesier material (I really like a lot of Zeppelin, when I am in the right mood for it), there's just something about the complexity and multilayeredness and esoteric themery found in prog that does something awesome to my brain that nothing else has so far proven capable of doing.

Oh and as for what I am listening to these days (in addition to the "old stuff" which never gets old)? My boyfriend introduced me to Queensryche a few years back (via Operation: Mindcrime), who I quickly came to appreciate considerably. More recently, I've been playing everything I've been able to get my hands on by Phideaux (from whom I am especially fond of "Doomsday Afternoon" and "Number Seven"). Also am in the process of exploring some things by Muse and Dream Theater. Oh yes and Porcupine Tree (so far I really like "In Absentia"; "The Incident" is okay as well but I like IA better). And also some artists that aren't exactly prog rock but which share certain characteristics, e.g. Joanna Newsom (the Ys album mostly...very very epic if nothing else!) and Rasputina (again, not exactly prog rock, but what's not to like about a cello-heavy ensemble singing about volcanically-induced climate change and fictional steampunk alt-history stories involving Pitcairn Island?).

So yeah. I guess the short version of that is "It's all Queen's fault". But glad to be here at any rate and I look forward to learning about new exciting musical adventures to pursue and enjoy!
Baby Snakes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 20:45
I'd say I caught the prog bug my first semester at college.  I had been listening to Queen for years at that point, and had a CD of Dark Side of the Moon, but besides that it was only radio hits.  Then I came across this site, that was about 3 or so years ago.  I had listened some songs they had posted up here over the summer leading up to that first semester.  I would come back to listen to Peaches en Regalia, The Knife, some Supertramp songs and a few Jazz Fusion songs, but then I got my hands on Hot Rats.  After that I got some King Crimson and some Gong.  It's been slowly building up since then.

Also, middle last year, I guess you could say I had a slight recurrence of the prog bug.  I had discovered grooveshark, so I would find albums that were well rated and listen to them front to back while playing my video games or exercising in my living room.

Over the last year, for the first time, I heard Fragile, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, In the Court of the Crimson King, Red, Selling England by the Pound, Aqualung, Queen I, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera [I had heard most of the songs from the Queen albums, but felt I had to complete up to Night at the Opera], Pork Soda, Frizzle Fry, A Whiter Shade of Pale, and A Salty Dog.  2010 I took in more new music by far than any other year, and in 2011 I plan to increase that number by at least 2x.
ourlawisliberty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 07:45
think it was genesis i was 12 or 13 i think and mostly interested in more heavy metal- hard rock stuff until i dig out this genesis album from my brother's collection the album was "the way we were : longs" and the old medley thing was just blew me away i wasn't even know then that peter gabriel had played in the genesis and that he was just some solid pop singer and genesis was a pretentious 80's (very synth-ish) pop band but after that record i really started to resarch about genesis read lots of biographys and that kind of stuff and become a solid fan of this band after that it was just like a roller coaster ride!!
Indisciplined View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 11:14
In my case I'd answer "ever since": I did like music, it was a hobby like others before, but since I started listening to King Crimso, Rush, Pink Floyd, I realized that this hobby had changed into something more involving...

I
Jörgemeister View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 11:38
when i was old enough to listen to my father's albums. (floyd, tull, zepp, and a lot of less know bands which i didnt really cared about by then)
I Could have bought a Third World country with the riches that I've spent
PinkFloydrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 08:31
I got indoctrinated from an early age when my dad would play Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull all the time. :)

Really, I was into Floyd/Tull/Yes before I even knew what the hell "prog" was. I think I became aware of "prog" around 15 or 16 when I discovered Tool, Dream Theater and Opeth and started getting around the music circles online.
http://www.last.fm/user/PinkFloydrulez
http://rateyourmusic.com/~pfr_77
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 15:19

Listened to my mom's vinyl collection in 6th grade. Had Animals, Some Doors albums, and early Beach Boys albums as well. Other albems werent so great Dead

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 15:42
When I was 12, I got a copy of the Rush album "Test For Echo."  That started my major obsession with prog-rock, though I was already nuts about music in general from hearing old Metallica records.  In high school I listened to a wide variety of music, but the proggiest bands I was crazy about were Rush, Tool, and King Crimson.

Stanger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 00:54
I honestly don't remember. The term "prog" or "progressive" hadn't even become a part of my vocabulary at the time I discovered bands like Love, The Moody Blues (old), Genesis......I just liked the music. This was back around '92-'94.
happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 04:54
I went into a record shop in 2003 and don't ask me why but the guy played me Foxtrot, showed me the sleeve, I felt all funny and bought it. I don't remember if it was because I liked the music, thought Peter Gabriel was cute or just wanted to get out of there.
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
livinginthepast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 20:38
Yay, first post :)

How I got addicted to prog? My dad is a big music (prog especially) fan and since I'm young (I'm 16 now) he makes me listen to every kind of music. I remember asking him some good music to listen to, but he didn't really suggest me the best that he had to offer (I was a music noob at the time!). I was around 12 when I started to like prog (Yes, Jethro, a bit of Genesis, Kraftwerk if they can be called prog,etc.). But my big prog-love started last year. Last year was my first real listen to Pink Floyd's DSoTM - and now I own all Pink Floyd's albums! It's my favorite band. 

So now I've took all my dad's album (All the genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.) and uploaded them on my computer so I can listen to them everyday! (iPod is very helpfull as a student!) I like to listen to alot of different things, but I'm always stunned about how good prog sounds, even the more recent stuff (PTree, Riverside, Opeth,etc) It's just that awesome, spacey, epic feeling that keeps you listening to that damn 23 minutes song! (Supper's ready anyone?) !

So yeah, that's about it! 

Oh and sorry if my english sucks, I'm from Quebec. :\ (Harmonium owns!!!) 
TLM170 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 13:26
I was a progger without knowing until i turned 16.
When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to listen to music my dad wouldn't approve. So i was raised by Deep Purple, Styx, Led Zepplin, T-Rex, etc... But one band was gouverning all the others. Pink Floyd.
when I turned 13 I made the awesome discovery that power metal is! I was a fan but some band kept my attention more than others (Dream Theater, LTE, Frameshift, Planet X) and finally the last part of my illumination. one of my friend, who was raised the same way as me, bought, out of nowhere, Octopus from Gentle Giant.
when i heard the first note from The Boys in the Band. i fell in love...
.so the summer before i turned 17 i felt the hand of prog grabing my heart and whisper in my ear ''special double edition album!!'' and ''god! imported cd are expensive when you don't own a credit card''
Jarvig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 03:54
Originally posted by Xanatos Xanatos wrote:

First :D
I have never really been infected with prog. Dont get me wrong.....many, many times I love prog.
But most of all Im a Rock fan.
An I love the ambitious playing and compositions of the 70s rock. Not only 70s prog rock but all 70s grandious rock.

That kind of rock do not exists anymore. Now a days I have to put my faith in Indie pop/rock and Alt. rock.

But the joy of "fooling around" with instrumental skills, improvisation, long instrumental parts, advanced compositions that do only exists one place now a days......in the prog world.

So my proggy needs are chased in the prog world while much of my "everyday enjoyible listen" is chased among Indie and Alt rock.

I enjoy prog as a mean not as a goal. Thus Im not infected with prog I just like it a lot.....sometimes. 
Pasha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 15:30
The moog solo of "Lucky Man" did pretty much the job when i listened to it on my dad's car. I was just 12 and kept stun looking at the radio for that only minute. One of the only feelings i will never forget.
"As I said to Ringo, I was in a successful Rock N Roll band. He was in a band that changed the world. That's the difference." Greg Lake

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 15:50
Hmmm...I'd have to say it was within the space of a year in high school, between 76-77.  I saw concerts with Genesis (Trick of the Tail), Floyd (In the Flesh-Animals), Yes (Going for the One), and Tull (Songs From the Wood). It was a prog overdose. Well, it was an overdose of one thing or another, in any case.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>