Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles. Here. Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:33
I just don't want to read a million bloody Beatles reviews on the home page
until the kingdom comes...but I guess I'll read lots of different perspectives
on why Sgt. Pepper's is a masterpiece.

Now, All Things Must Pass, THAT's an album! I'd give it five stars if it were
here.
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:37

Guess this could open door for Kinks and Small Faces too.

Certif1ed...as ever I bow to your superior knowledge

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:39
I think the best attitude would be to present and evaluate progressive influences wherether they are, with the "progressive brand" high up there, and there will be an ecology selecting out whatever is not really felt like prog by this community. Moreover, Abbey Road IS a prog rock album, at least as much as a Moody Blues album is, and I wouldn't mind having also Led Zep up here. It'd just mean that prog lovers would quote those albums and if they don't find it "prog enough", they give them a low grade; and out martian would check what comes first in the rank and would find that Yes and KC are the best prog bands and so he'd say, ah so that's prog rock, it's Close to the Edge....
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:08
     I did just listen to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", and it certainly does
sound like proto-Crimson...add to that the fact that Yes did Beatle's cover
early on (Every Little Thing), Gabriel covered "Strawberry Fields Forever"...the
Beatles were simply the point of reference for the early progressive bands.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:13
Oh f**k. Oh f**kitty f**kitty f**k. This is wrong, chaps. Please don't blame this on the collabs at large - I had no idea this had happened. This "proto-prog" category is turning into a complete disaster! How on earth are newcomers meant to get a good idea of what prog is now?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:18
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Certifiable Certifiable wrote:

]

Snow Dog wrote:
I see that many consider Sgt Pepper to be a concept album......it isn't.

Er... yes it is!

The entire thing is one huge concept/package, including the rumours that surrounded it.

We'll have to disagree on this one then.

Sorry, Snow Dog is correct here. Sgt Pepper was originally conceived as being a concert by a Beatles "alter-ego" band, hence it starts off with sounds of an orchestra warming up and the title track flows straight into "With a little help from my friends". After that, as Lennon has said, they got fed up with the idea and it became an normal album of songs. There is a half-hearted attempt to complete the concept with the reprise of the title track but there is no continuing theme linking the songs.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:19

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Oh f**k. Oh f**kitty f**kitty f**k. This is wrong, chaps. Please don't blame this on the collabs at large - I had no idea this had happened. This "proto-prog" category is turning into a complete disaster! How on earth are newcomers meant to get a good idea of what prog is now?

I know what you mean. I really like the inclusiveness, but I also think that there needs to be a better separation of prog-related/proto-prog bands and the real prog bands. I also think that reviews for prog-related/proto-prog bands should not be listed on the front page, or at least there should be a clear visual separation - like using gray color for the review text, gray background color etc..

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:19
I fully support our friend gdub411 who brought real arguments in order to explain why the Beatles addition is seriously controversial...I´m a bit scared by this orientation, for me it´s a shame for the credibility of the site...we must remain strict towards the content, progarchives is a site exclusively orientated to progressive rock , this is not an encyclopedie of rock music 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:21

Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

I fully support our friend gdub411 who brought real arguments in order to explain why the Beatles addition is seriously controversial...I´m a bit scared by this orientation, for me it´s a shame for the credibility of the site...we must remain strict towards the content, progarchives is a site exclusively orientated to progressive rock , this is not an encyclopedie of rock music 

And progressive metal!

And Jazz-Fusion!

And Progressive Electronic!

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:25
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

And progressive metal!

And Jazz-Fusion!

And Progressive Electronic!

The site founders have stated that they want to be inclusive,not exclusive.

Everybody can whine and moan and complain all they want,it's not going to change anything.

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:28
...unfortunately
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:29
My overriding thought is this:  The Beatles belong because they were the innovators that opened the door to progressive rock.  None of their lps can be considered totally prog because they weren't and there was no such category in existence, anyway.  Without them it may have been years before prog came into being.  They stand alone, therefore bands like the stones and who shouldn't be considered even though at times they "experimented" on the fringes of progressive music.  I think there would be few prog musicians who were there at the beginning who wouldn't tip their hat to the fab 4 for influencing them.  And that's all I've got to say about that.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:43
 REALLY REST IN PEACE

Edited by yankeerose
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:48
^ you can come over to my website if you like - where prog is just one of many genres. Compared to that, the archives are still quite "prog-snobby".
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:54

Originally posted by yankeerose yankeerose wrote:

REALLY REST IN PEACE

You edited your post to add a few more emoticons?!?

John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:57

I am of the opinion that the site should be inclusive rather than exclusive.  Now with that out of the way...

I think people need to relax... this is a website meant for your personal entertainment.  The very fabric of progressive rock will not tear due to the addition of The Beatles in this site.  Take a look at this statistic...

That's the number of bands in the database.  I'm sure there are others here that you wouldn't consider prog as well, but the vast majority of them are.  Some people don't think bands like Supertramp should be included... Well OK, then don't visit that section of the forum.  Hell, I've heard people argue that Kansas shouldn't be here as well, and others who say that prog metal is rubbish and shouldn't be here either.

Bottom line - everyone has their own definitons of prog rock and they will obviously be different than this site.  It reflects the opinion of the founding members.  You don't agree with it?  Well then go start your own website and pay the hosting fees.  All of you people who are saying stuff like "RIP PROG ARCHIVES" are real dicks in my eyes... The owners of this site are providing you with this archive and this is the thanks you give them?  A site with this much traffic cannot be very cheap to maintain, not to mention the effort that goes into building and moderating it.

ProgLucky and m@X , I feel sorry for you guys.  Then again, you probably would have guessed that you would be eventually be dealing with such thankless dicks when starting a progressive rock website.  Keep up the good work.

RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:30
     Someone should start a special web site for prog geeks who want to be
part of an exclusive club for a narrowly defined genre with no sense of its
history or origins...where any band with songs under 9 minutes with no
Mellotrons are mercilessly excluded!
Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:35

There ought to be some kind of vote where every member of this site says whether or not The Beatles belong here.  That might be the only fair way to solve this stupid matter.

Besides whether or not The Beatles or prog. or prog-related (they aren't), hasn't there already been enough press, reviews, publicity, etc. already written about them?!?!?!  I mean, they are the most written-about pop/rock band in history.  There certainly isn't a shortage of reviews of their albums.  At worse, putting them on this site just dilutes it to the point of confusing what prog. really is. 

Arguing that The Beatles should be here would also support the opinion that other similar popular groups of that era should be here too (Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Mama and Papas, The Who, etc.).  The door has been opened to that, so it's probably only a matter of time before they show up too...

Edited by Flip_Stone
Littlewashu5 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:36
I find the inclusion of The Beatles to be amusing. For the longest time, a lot of people have been complaining about newer "Modern Prog" bands being included because they don't sound like Yes, Genesis, Crimson, etc. The Beatles are the exact opposite. They are the most influential rock band EVER that all rock music, including prog can traced back to. In the truest sense of the term, The Beatles were the most progresssive band EVER.

That said, the whole Proto-prog sub-genre is a bit unneccessary. If you think about it, most of the popualr bands in the 60's had SOME influence on Prog. If you wanted to be thorough in listing all the bands that inluenced the genre we all love, you'd have to start including bands/artists that make up the various component sounds. Are Jazz musicians going to end up on Prog Archives? Is Beethoven going to be inserted into the Proto-Prog Section? All of them were influential in making Prog what it is today

I'm sure all I just said was mentioned at some point in this thread. I just didn't want to go through 13 pages of whining and flaming......

Edited by Littlewashu5
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:38
Originally posted by Flip_Stone Flip_Stone wrote:

There ought to be some kind of vote where every member of this site says whether or not The Beatles belong here.  That might be the only fair way to solve this stupid matter.

Sorry...you must be under the impression that we run some sort of democracy here. We don't. The decision is FINAL!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>