Topic ClosedI Talk To The Wind: Prog Blog and Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:04

Review 45, A Passion Play, Jethro Tull, 1973

StarStarStarStarLamp

After the phenomenal success of Thick As A Brick, Anderson and co. approached this next offering with their minds set to creating another one-song album. Whereas Thick As A Brick's approach (several songs welded together, and parts of pt. 1 cleverly reprised with variations in side 2) had a definite charm throughout, this is a much more acquired taste, and it takes time to fully appreciate exactly where the deliberate one-song album pays dividends. I did like this on the first listen, but it took a lot longer to remember the melodic hooks and clever twists in it. In short, the issue is very much one of cohesion and the opportunities for real twists rather than small additions. You can get the same bar of music leading up to a completely different entity, and that does grow on you. All of the flow is more deliberately handled than on Thick, certainly, but with Thick As A Brick, you come to love the problems as well as the greatness, and with the more clinical approach of A Passion Play, that is not the case.

John Anderson's vocals, lyrics, acoustics and flute are excellent as ever throughout the entire album, and the more prominent use of his sax (which isn't generally great, but does contribute to the more chaotic and dissonant sections of the album). We do get some well-applied touches of violin, most obviously on The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. The vocals here may well be his best ever. The other standout player is John Evan, whose hearty application of piano and organ for blocky, delicate, effervescent, grandiose, forceful and hectic sections in equal measure is a welcome development from Thick As A Brick. There are also valuable glimpses of VCS-3 in both the more chaotic and careful sections.

Martin Barre generally seems rather more carefully applied on this one, so carries a lot more weight when he does burst out of the woodwork. He does handle some superb soloing and hard rock lines around the 'All of your best friend's telephones/Never cooled from the heat of your hand' section, as well as some wonderful sax-guitar-VCS-3 interplay on the second half. Barriemore Barlowe has, somewhat deliberately, not so obviously spotlighted the glockenspiel on this one, and gone more typically for occasional bangs on tympani, as well as some very interesting rhythms (I don't pretend to understand them, I just find them interesting) on the drums. He contributes well throughout.

I suppose the player I find least enjoyable on this one is Jeffrey Hammond(-Hammond), who is still an excellent bassist and completely adequate. My small issue is that I loved his connecting bass on Thick As A Brick, with its oozing, flowing feel, and I find the bass on this slightly less distinctive. Nonetheless, his bass throughout is very good, and has its moments.

Now, that's just an overview of the musicianship. The combination of these things, and the masses of high-quality interplay in an initially overwhelming array of styles (whether that's pure acoustic guitar and piano, harder rock, chaotic jams or even the parodic Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles) is half of what makes this album so exceptional. There are very few moments, if any, where I feel someone is taking away from the mix. The much-loathed Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles, in my opinion, is a fairly amusing touch, and doesn't clash too much with the rest of the album. I could see it being split over the two sides as an annoyance on vinyl, but I think it's transferred well to CD format.

The other half is the composition. Anderson's writing provides clever catches and multiple cases where you have the same lead-up to two completely different sections and end up virtually tripping over yourself in either admiration or surprise as you hear the twists. The overture is neatly done, and the choices of instruments throughout is grand. This is not at all trying to be Thick As A Brick, it's trying to be a one-song concept album, and, as a rule, it succeeds monumentally at that. I do get a little irritated by the 'Overseer' section, and I think an ending with slightly more aggression or force would have been more desirable, though probably not better-suited, but otherwise the whole piece is fantastic listening.

After sufficient acquisition time, this album definitely begins to grow on you, and there are some incredibly good moments, both lyrically and musically, but its increased panache doesn't always result in an increased charm. Essential listening, for curiosity and interest as well as quality. The flow is impeccable, and the benefits of the one-song album as a basic concept are on display throughout.

If we're arguing objectively whether Thick As A Brick or A Passion Play takes the Tull crown, I'd go without hesitation for A Passion Play, but for personal connection, Thick is a much easier and better sell. For the hard-core proggers this is clearly of much greater interest, and noone should miss out on this album. More trivially, this is one of two albums to which I have been caught playing air acoustics very badly. I'm restraining myself from awarding five stars, but only because my personal preference finds itself elsewhere at the moment.

Rating: Four Stars + (four star album, but so damn interesting that you can't afford to miss it). Objectively, it deserves the full five.
Favourite Track: Ian Anderson unwittingly mocks my review format.

----

Well, there's something about a more controversial album, and again I've deviated from my review format for the sake of the album in question. I gave Benefit another listen earlier, and I still think it's a very weird album. I'm not quite sure that John Evan fits the album as well as he certainly does Aqualung and TAAB. Still, early days yet. Gave (MO's) Apocalypse another listen yesterday, and that really did connect.

Anyway, that's another old album out of the way. Might try for another Tull one next, or go for Tales.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:14
Nice review! Clap

Don't think I have any objections with that one (Shocked). I liked the last line LOL. Oh Jon (curse my getting up too
early!) IAN Anderson, you so cah-ray-zay.

Edited by King By-Tor - May 27 2008 at 15:54
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:12

Review 46, The Doors, The Doors, 1967

StarStarStarStar

'F**k yeah'

The Doors are rather an unusual outfit. On the one hand, you have full-blown psychedelic insanity with no respect for song structures, on the other, you have a blues and pop-structured output with a unique sound (mostly due to Ray Manzarek's love for the organ) and Morrison's bizarre and morbid lyrics. This album contains The Doors' three obvious staples: Break On Through, Light My Fire and The End, and those songs alone would be reason to buy the album, but the rest is generally excellent, with an occasional example of something that doesn't quite match up (Whisky Bar, especially). Essential album for anyone who likes psychedelia, which happens to include me.

Break On Through introduces the album incredibly, with a real beast of a concise (2:30) prog-pop-rock song. Morrison's brilliantly violent lyrics ('Found an island in your arms/A country in your eyes/Arms that chain us! Eyes that lie! Break on through to the other side!') and maddened vocals dominate the song, along with a guitar riff and a modified Bossa Nova beat. The organ kicks throughout, providing the song with a little more force. A huge favourite of mine. Well-worth cranking up the volume for.

The follower, Soul Kitchen, shows off a greater range of The Doors' appeal. A haunting atmosphere is created by the lyrics and odd harmony choices, and the rock moments are no less impressive. A bass hums carelessly in the background, preparing the changes in the song, while the organ alternately places itself behind the rest of the instruments, and over them during the rock moments. Robby Krieger's guitar provides a couple of twists over it, including a brief bluesy solo.

The Crystal Ship shows the more gentle qualities of The Doors, and their ability to create grandeur without any pomp, Jim Morrison's soft vocal is surprisingly excellent, given how much The Doors' harder moments rely on his raw aggression, and a beautiful contribution on piano from Ray Manzarek really makes the song, as strong as the guitar and organ are. A soft drum part showcases the diversity of John Densmore.

20th Century Fox is another different piece, with the strained bass sound rather common on this album as a rather dominant instrument. The music is all top notch, with Krieger's guitar as a particular high point. The vocals, however, don't really carry it as effectively as they do other pieces, and naturally, the lyrical content doesn't transfer well across forty years.

Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) is a bit of a weak spot, in my opinion, with an awkward bombardon-like thingummy (presumably from Manzarek) underlying the song with a cheerful two-note beat. The rest of the material, particularly Krieger's mandolin-like guitar contribution, is pretty good. I'm just not particularly impressed with this one.

Light My Fire is another of the classic Doors songs, with a catchy organ riff throughout the verses, as well as an enjoyable rhythm section, with some potent crashes from Densmore. A longer psychedelic instrumental section features an excellent extended organ solo from Manzarek, as well as a guitar solo from Robby Krieger. Morrison's moderately stoned call for drug use is fairly amusing, and actually an excellent vocal performance.

Back Door Man is a cover, with an appropriate nodding bluesy rhythm, vague lyrical improvisation, and warming-up feel. We do basically get the same few bars of music throughout, but with some excellent additions from Krieger and Manzarek, as well as a very well-suited vocal from Morrison. It is a blues, so sounds like one. You have been warned.

I Looked At You is probably the purest pop song on the album, with a foot-tapping rhythm, completely mindless lyrics. Even the organ and guitar feel dancy and rhythmic. To be fair, nothing individually is very offensive, but I just don't get into it as a whole, with way too many repeats of the 'and we're on our way...' section.

End Of The Night features a chilling atmosphere, created mostly by the very slow playing from everyone, almost suspended in time. Krieger's guitar gives slow, curious soloing, with some very well timed movements. Morrison's vocal is equally slow and haunting. Without speeding up, the band can still convey a faster or more immediate burst of movement.

Take It As It Comes is an enjoyable pop song, with the psychedelic feel of the organ and lyrics nicely handled. The organ soloing is extremely good fun, and the bass again works quite nicely, even taking a solo to allow the organ to come in again with a lot more force. Morrison's vocals are again superb.

The album's final piece is probably the bands best-known work, The End. It is a fully psychedelic piece of work, and needs to be appreciated as one. The twists on guitar throughout are absolutely fantastic, and I can't think of another way you could have done the percussion than Densmore's combination of random noises and brief beats, not relying on one sort of drum or a sustained beat for too long at a time. The jungle of organ-work provides a psychedelic and constant, maddening force to the song. Morrison's vocals and lyrical style ('Lost in a Roman/Wilderness of pain/And all. The. Child-ren/Are insane) were made for this song. His untamed aggression gives us the powerful moments of the song, while his softer voice again feels almost-mantric in its conviction.

Of especial note is the section where Morrison narrates the actions of the killer with relish and glee ('He took a face from the ancient gallery!'), and the rest of the band fully support his vocal. The madness, the tragedy, the beauty and the anger of the piece are handled with a demonstrative force, conviction and power throughout, as well as bits of dissonance that are entirely right and a very nice understated conclusion. A masterpiece of progressive rock, if ever there was one. Those who call it boring just don't have the attention span.

I do really love this album as a whole, and any lover of good psych rock (or even people who don't usually care for the genre) should try this out, for historical interest as well as quality. The other albums of The Doors are certainly not without worth, but never again do they reach the sheer force of The End or Break On Through. Very enjoyable, but with a couple of tracks that bring the album down.

Rating: Four Stars

Favourite Track: Break On Through (To The Other Side) [or The End. Really no preference between the two]

---

1) A bit of variety for the reviews, methinks. Just to shock people who were expecting Minstrel or Tales based on my horrid lies earlier.

2) Listened to Exiles and Third again earlier. I think I definitely got Third more. I am enjoying Exiles, I'd call it a good four star album.

3) This is my 1500th post. Tremble in awe.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:53
Great review again Clap

I can't comment though because I...

don't...

have...

the album. *hides*.

I do have Strange Days though! If that one is anywhere near as good as Strange Days then I need to buy it.
Well, I need to buy it anyways.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:17
Strange Days is slightly more sophisticated, but some bands need polish to shine, while The Doors need a paint-stripper. I do like Strange Days, but I don't think it often captures the primal nature of their debut. I'll have to review that and Waiting For The Sun sometime. I do also have a best of (*hides*), but I still need to pick up another one or two of their albums.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:20
Apparently LA Woman is a good one (so says my friends who have knowledge of the band)... I'm only missing
that and the debut, btu the only one I've listened to a lot of is Strange Days. I saw a copy of Full Circle in a record
store the other day... but I didn't buy it. I almost did because I've never seen it before, but I hadn't heard anything
good about it before. I don't think I'd like them sans Morrison.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:26
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Apparently LA Woman is a good one (so says my friends who have knowledge of the band)... I'm only missing
that and the debut, btu the only one I've listened to a lot of is Strange Days. I saw a copy of Full Circle in a record
store the other day... but I didn't buy it. I almost did because I've never seen it before, but I hadn't heard anything
good about it before. I don't think I'd like them sans Morrison.

I've heard the title track, which is very good, Love Her Madly, which is OK, and Riders On The Storm, which is superb. One of those bands I've got a few things by, and then have forgotten to go any further with.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:29
Yeah, I should really go listen to their albums. I bought them all in a wild buying spree then forgot about them.
Ive listened to the Soft Parade twice... but Waiting for The Sun and Morrison Hotel have yet to be spun by me...
and I've had them for years!! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 07:32
fabulous Doors review Rob Clap personal thoughts on the sanity of their inclusion here aside LOL

Edited by micky - May 28 2008 at 07:32
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 07:58
I have LA Woman, but I wouldn't say it's the band's best album, with the exception of the fabulous "Riders on the Storm". Personally, my favourite remains their debut, which Rob really nailed in his review. I even like "Alabama Song", which btw is a Brecht-Weill classic, so definitely very little to do with rock'n'roll...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I have LA Woman, but I wouldn't say it's the band's best album, with the exception of the fabulous "Riders on the Storm". Personally, my favourite remains their debut, which Rob really nailed in his review. I even like "Alabama Song", which btw is a Brecht-Weill classic, so definitely very little to do with rock'n'roll...

couldn't have said it better myself... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 09:54

Review 47, Minstrel In The Gallery, Jethro Tull, 1975

StarStarStarStar

This is one of the more interesting Tull albums from the point of view of a progressive rock fan. Not only is there a twenty minute suite (epic!!!111) with a string quartet behind it, but there's also a range of the various material that Tull seem to have attacked in their time. However, it doesn't really fully satisfy me. It has dramatically grown on me (with quite a lot of listens. I suppose if I'd shelved it earlier I wouldn't like it as much as I do now), but even now I don't particularly care for large parts of the album. Still, this is a daring effort, the string quartet is incorporated very well on Baker Street Muse, and there is enough great material to satisfy the discerning prog-fan.

Minstrel In The Gallery itself, for all the people fawning over it, hasn't really caught onto me. Sure, the basic elements of Tull are there, including cunning acoustic strumming, medieval noises, Martin Barre's hard-rocking guitar, Ian Anderson's occasional flautistry and sarcastic and semi-nonsensical lyrics. The sound is extremely stripped away, leaving really only Anderson and Barre respectively dominating sections of the piece with some general crashing from Barlowe in the background and a couple of hums from Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond. There is no real depth to the piece, and I just find that an awkward listen. Not to say there aren't some very impressive moments both on acoustics and electrics (with complimentary drums), but there are substantial sections of the eight minute track where I'm more bored than excited by the vaguely roaring guitar-work.

Cold Wind To Valhalla is rather different, again opening with a rather nice acoustic guitar and an appropriately Nordic feel, which is surprisingly well-complimented by the cello (I think; my ear for stringed instruments could be better). Again we have glimpses of a Tull whose enthusiasm for making noise seems a little disproportionate to their range of ideas, but overall we get a good dose of atmosphere, some really great moments from Anderson's vocals especially as well as surprisingly gritty and potent guitar-work. Some very nice dissonant violins over the top, and it is overall an extremely enjoyable piece.

Black Satin Dancer is the first indication of the album really picking up. Just about everything possible was included on the song, whether that's the quartet, piano, flute, or a rather more dominant rhythm section, with whatever percussion Barriemore Barlowe could find thrown I all around the song. Anderson's lyrics are enchanting, medieval and excellently sung. Martin Barre's dissonance and moody guitar heroics are very well-complimented by a throbbing Hammond bass-line. The classic flute parts are originally used on this one, and Ian Anderson's 'fwubbah, flubbah' shouting is no less than hilarious. We do get glimpses of darker organ, and John Evan seems rather more comfortable contributing to this one. The final reprise manages a slowed version of parts of the song with a phenomenal fun factor Great song, extremely catchy, and air xylophone abounds.

Requiem is another enjoyable piece, with the acoustic and the violin quartet being most prominent. I do rather like the string arrangement, and overall sound is very good. Ian Anderson's sad vocal and final twists on the acoustic guitar give the piece a rather darker feel.

One White Duck/ O^10 = Nothing At All is another acoustic-strings piece (with a plucked violin, if I hear correctly). The opening half, One White Duck, is a beautiful piece with emotional and bitterness oozing from every sound and excellent lyrical material. The more sarcastic 0^10 is a more acquired piece, with only a punchy and rather aggressive acoustic and vocal. Both of these features are excellent, but the final verse of the lyrics is truly an extreme example of cryptic, deliberately obtuse lyrics. Even I don't really care for them.

Baker Street Muse is the album's highlight, I think, even if the flow doesn't always quite work. A combination of the clever lyrics, the acoustics and the string quartet is the connecting factor for the piece. The first section, Baker Street Muse, features both the more awkward rocking Tull of this album (with a really wallowing main riff made up for by decent solos, especially flute) and the clever acoustic and quartet that really could have handled the piece without the band's help. The reliance on vocals and acoustics really does give it a one-man's-journey feel that is entirely welcome.

A jumpy acoustic so typical of Anderson leads onto Pig-Me And The Whore, packed full of innuendo, great guitar-work from Martin Barre and even a much-missed swelling organ. Following about a minute of this, an instrumental section features, spotlighting Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's bass and a xylophone or similar percussive creature.

Crash Barrier Waltzer is a more lamentful and narrative piece, with an excellent combination of chord and note acoustic guitar, as well as the album's best use of the strings. We get a beautiful and thoughtful instrumental mainly created by the flute and acoustics.

Mother England Reverie is where everything really comes together, with the band and the quartet contributing in equal measure. The piano and acoustics really seem to merge with the strings on the initial part, and the transition to a full on rock section is more than welcome, managing to hammer through ideas with more than just noise. A rather awkward choice of transition moves to a repeat of the earlier 'Indian restaurants that curry my brain' section, to a vicious organ hum. We have some sophisticated working-out of earlier themes before the conclusion which must feature Martin Barre's finest guitar solo, as well as an acoustic-and-orchestra inclusive take on the standard thunderous blues ending.

Grace is an acoustic end to the album, lasting for maybe 20 seconds, but providing a nice cohesive, and either resigned or positive end to the album proper, depending on how you want to look at it.

Onto the bonus goodies:
Summerday Sands is a Tullish acoustic single, which isn't bad, with a few grand moments, but a not-particularly-impressive chorus. Still, the acoustics are quite nice, and the song's not so bad as to ruin the album. March The Mad Scientist is a much more impressive piece, with a seriously excellent set of acoustics and bass, including a slight development of the theme of Only Solitaire. Everything is rather well-handled. Great piece. Pan Dance has the feel of a more basic Tull instrumental, with a clear flute that you wouldn't really expect from Ian Anderson. I do love it, but it's pretty indescribable.

The live version of Minstrel In The Gallery is much more concise and likable with none of the electric wallowing I have issues with and some excellent harmonies and playing from Barlowe. I suppose it won't satisfy those who like the stripped-back guitar sound, but it works for me. Cold Wind To Valhalla feels a lot more lively, with a better flute sound, at least. Unfortunately, the length is reduced so much as to be more a preview of the live version rather than a proper track. It doesn't work too badly as a conclusion, however, and the bonuses are a nice set, I think.

Ah, strings are a quintet with four violins and a cello. Apologies for laziness, but my energy levels aren't high enough to go back and fix everything. Anyway, I'm going to say that the album as a whole has some extremely interesting moments, but doesn't really satisfy me consistently enough. I have understated my love for the lyrical content of Baker Street Muse, because I feel that lyrics are something that a person should create their own opinion and understanding of. You could do a lot worse, and Baker Street Muse is a must-have for any fan of the more unusual side of Tull.

Favourite Track: Baker Street Muse

---

Long review, and certainly not my best, but I think I'd actually need the musical knowledge to understand what the quintet is doing to do any better. Anyway, that's one difficult album out of the way. Criticism welcome! I'll probably try to tackle the mighty Tales next (and I almost mean it this time Tongue).

Thanks for the comments Raff (welcome to the thread Smile Hopefully you can stop your louder half trying to kidnap meConfused), Micky and Mike

All of the new albums, so far, have been from very good to wonderful. Thanks to anyone whose recommendations or reviews (or both) have convinced me to part with my money for them Clap

Edit: Aha, we have a folk vigilante :)

Extreme view

I think he's missing the point of the album, but I suppose it's good to have a hardcore folky look at one of the top-rated prog folk albums.

Edited by TGM: Orb - May 28 2008 at 09:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:27
Clapnice review! For once we agree on a star rating LOL

Personally my two favorite tunes on the album are the first two, Minstrel and Cold Wind are just excellent on my
ears. Although no one ever said a division on taste was a bad thing! (Unless we're talking about Rush Wink).
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 12:02
I've also reviewed Minstrel, and, while my review is not as detailed as yours (I'm not a musician, and I experience music in a very impressionistic way), I think our opinion of the album is quite similar. It's definitely one of Tull's best efforts, even if not as easily approached as Songs from the Wood (which I find even better), and certainly much more cohesive than War Child.

Just put it on, btw.. I haven't heard it for some time!Wink JT will be playing in Rome on June 30, and I'll definitely go and see them (fourth time for me), since the gig will be held relatively close to my home, and they're always a great live act to witness.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 12:19
I missed JT when they were here a couple months ago Cry.

Although! I gotta agree with you on warChild and Songs. My thoughts exactly. For me WarChild caught on really
quickly (first JT album I bought) but it wore off quite fast. I should listen to it again though - it had some good
tunes on it. Songs From The Wood (for me anyways) is one of their best, but I highly prefer Heavy Horses.
fire adept View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 01:54
Excellent reviews, but come on The Yes Album deserves a perfect score in my opinion.

http://www.last.fm/user/ZachFireAdept07/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 10:49
*kicks thread, but has no review*

A sketchy one of Look At Yourself will hopefully turn up later.

Posting to say that Frank Zappa's Hot Rats has arrived, accompanied by Rush's Hemispheres and Amon Duul II's Phallus Dei and Wolf City. A couple of days before that, Miles Davis' infamous 'Bitches Brew' also turned up.

Those and utter addiction to Planescape: Torment (BEST GAME EVER), and a load of exams have been the reason for my reviewing hiatus.

Hot Rats was great fun throughout. Jean Luc Ponty was an especial standout. Favourite track was probably Willie The Pimp.

Hemispheres was a very good album throughout. I particularly enjoy Circumstances and the solo on the  A Lerxt in Wonderland (I think) section of La Villa Strangiato. My only problem was the lyrical content for Cygnus X-I book II, which was admittedly a little tacky. I still liked it. Better than Moving Pictures.

The Amon Duul and Miles Davis stuff, I still need to try a little more, but

Phallus Dei was interesting and psychy. Not sure what to make of it. Started listening to it too late to justify the ear-destroying volumes I like.

Wolf City was interesting and condensed. I liked Wolf City and the one before it a lot. Still not quite sure what to make of Renate Knaup's increased vocal presence. Her accent is, to say the least, a little difficult for a longer period of listening, while it worked perfectly on, say, the briefer Archangels Thunderbird.

Now, Bitches' Brew was extremely good, but it's proved that I simply don't listen to enough jazz. I can't really comment, except that I liked the bass clarinet. I felt the trumpet solos were very good, but a little limited.

Otherwise, with new stuff:

A Louse Is Not A Home is one of Orb's all-time favourite tracks, and almost certainly my vocal performance of choice. Scheherazade is (I'm sure) a masterpiece album for me, and so is H To He. Still, we'll see what else time turns up.

In other news, preparing for my next spree (I spend months preparing...)

Mini-multi-national-spree planned: Maneige, Ni Vents Ni Vourelles + Maneige. PFM: Thing before Per Un Amico or thing after it. Banco: Darwin!, Di Terra. Le Orme: Uomo thingy?

Next spree, just basic ideas:

New Things:
National Health - 1st two albums.
Hounds Of Love - Kate Bush
Argus - Wishbone Ash
Ys - Joanna Newsom

Expansions:
whatever, so long as it has Annie Haslam - Renaissance (any obvious ones? Ashes are burning, maybe?)
A Live Record - Camel (Raff's recommendation)
Testing For Destruction (if I can find it easily) - David Cross
Soft Machine - Whatever's cheaper of the first two
Something else (thinking Free Hand) - Gentle Giant
Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other - VDGG (my second Fanboy group)
Underwater Sunlight - Tangerine Dream
Dire Straits - s/t. + whatever else, their albums are dead cheap atm.
Quadrophrenia - The Who
Hatfield And The North - Debut
Between Nothing And Eternity - The Mahavishnu Orchestra
A Saucerful Of Secrets - Floyd?
Phoenix - Asia?

Completionismifications:
Beat/Thrak? - King Crimson (first Fanboy group)
ELPowell + Trilogy (I have thisish) - ELP (any live stuff that is really vital for future spreeage?)
Heavy Horses, maybe, or Crest Of A Knave - Jethro Tull
Yessongs - Yes
Genesis Live/Duke - Genesis

Of course, this is not set in stone, and is looking for feedback. Anything else I must look out for?

@Fire Adept. Thanks for the compliment Thumbs%20Up. I think my issue with calling The Yes Album a masterpiece (I can understand people liking it more than me) is that I simply can't see what makes it *stand out* from the rest of the progressive world. Historically, I'm doubtful about the significance (you'd really have to stretch it to a very Yes-centric view to call it a real benchmark). In terms of innovation, I can't really comment, but it doesn't sound obviously oddball to me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 12:16

Review 48, Look At Yourself, Uriah Heep, 1971

StarStarStarStar (objectively +Star)

The development from the potent Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble to this album is obvious, but nonetheless astonishing. It is one of my most-listened albums, as it has no obvious points where it's unpleasant to listen to. Most of the issues from the debut are fixed, and replaced by a masterful use of David Byron's exceptional voice. Even the harmonies are very much in place. The band has clearly taken a more oddball and artistic (or even, you could say, progressive) direction, with the inclusion of excellent drumming from members of Osibisa on one track, as well as Manfred Mann's moog on a couple of others. Still, despite these eclectic touches, it is definitely a rock album, and a damn fine rock album at that. For anyone who's looking for sophisticated, well-played hard rock with a hammond organ or a really strong vocalist, this is essential listening.

Look At Yourself kicks off the album with a stunning rocker, combining an insistent and deliberate rhythm section with a powerful lead Hammond organ. David Byron's vocals are sublime and lively, and the harmonies do seem to be directed and timed properly. Mick Box's guitarwork is very well-incorporated, jumping into focus with verve and speed. On the concluding section, dominated by the rhythm part, additional percussionists provide an interesting addition to the Hammond's inexorable drive to a conclusion. Seriously wow music.

I Wanna Be Free follows this quite strongly, with a lead harmony, tapping percussion and careful organ leading to a hard-rocking guitar riff. Mick Box takes an interesting solo (maybe a duo). The song does take off amazing with Byron's wailing 'I wanna be free', Paul Newton's blipping bass (I can't find a better way to describe it) and the guitar breaking out in full force. Overall, a very nice song.

July Morning is an example of the band moving between softer and harder sections, and fully exhibits David Byron's status as a rock vocalist. He handles the softer bands with emotion, and the harder parts with determination. His handling of the non-lyrical sections, twisting off on various 'la's into a completely different style is completely impressive. The harmonies and romantic vocals fit in perfectly. The music is equally amazing, with Ken Hensley's organ moving between soft and potent without pause or issue. His backing piano is subtly and well handled. The acoustic guitars and heavy guitars are switched without an inch of awkwardness. Newton's bass provides a connection between all the various elements, and Ian Clarke on drums manages a number of different moods unflinchingly, whether martial or mollified. Last, but certainly not least, Manfred Mann provides a moog solo par excellence, spinning, slipping, sliding, whirling with a whinnying sound. Astounding, and a nice break from the weight of the first two.

Tears In My Eyes is initially a bit of a listening effort relaxation, being heavily riff based, heavy and with a repeated chorus, as well as rather more generic lyrics. It does, however, include an excellent instrumental break, with acoustics dropped in, a sort of throbbing force underneath the soft harmony and the slightly more punchy acoustic bursts are neatly handled, a guitar duo is neatly handled, and the moog makes another appearance. David Byron's vocals are, as always, to die for. Essentially, a great, fun rock song.

Shadows Of Grief is probably the heaviest and darkest section of the album with a swelling organ complimented by Ian Clarke's percussion moving onto a killer organ riff, which is taken up by the guitar and extended bass notes. David Byron provides a frantic vocal. Ascending rock guitar and whirly Hensley organ bursts out throughout the piece, and Ian Clarke really does let loose on the percussion. A dark, reverent break with a low aa-ah aa-ah harmony, full percussion ideas, and a steady bass features, leading us up to a smashing return of the verses. A second intensely dark section includes what must be one of the weirdest guitar parts ever, and leads up to a cathartic release of the tension and force.

What Should Be Done is a fairly nice piece, with the band taking a break from all the weight of the previous pieces. David Byron's softer side again comes into play, accompanied by good, if fairly simple, piano-and-organ work. On the entrance of the second verse, the harmony vocals, odd guitar and percussion come in. An interesting example of structuring a song around one riff part, and pulling it off perfectly.

The jumpy rocker Love Machine rounds off the album, with an uplifting force, typical Byron vocals-of-sheer-jaw-dropping-greatness, heavy guitars, twinning Box's soloing with Hensley's rhythm hard rock stuff. As is always the case on this album, the rhythm section is superb, especially Newton, who manages to drop in some bursts of bass into the lead area without a hitch. Ken Hensley throws in organ soloing for fun value. The piece is ended with a winding-down effect.

Naturally this combination of consistently excellent tracks, superb playing and nice, artsy touches merits at least a four star rating, and the variety of the album matches its sheer force. The weird choices compliment the hard rock sections perfectly, and the group is able to find variety and innovative and interesting options within a distinctly rock sound, without resorting to bringing in dozens of extra musicians. Essential listening, to say the least. Not exactly a masterpiece for me, since I tend to get my biggest kicks out of more spacious, atmospheric and lyrically driven music, but I can't make a single criticism, and it is one of my most-listened albums. Not to be missed. Those who call it a masterpiece are objectively spot on.

Favourite Track: Look At Yourself

---
Another case where objectivity and subjectivity conflict. Definitely a masterpiece of what it intends to be, but not a masterpiece for me. A few of the older ratings (Caress Of Steel, Black Moon, Works 2, maybe even Wind & Wuthering) will be altered when I can (/can be bothered). I'll stop cowering from a Tales review (2 CD reviews take AGES. And it has bonus tracks. And I can't often listen to 80 minutes of music on headphones in one go) at some point, but I need to get back into the swing first.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 16:08

Review 49, Relayer, Yes, 1974

StarStarStarStar

I have spewed my thoughts on how 'over-rated' this album is all over the forum. However, I must admit, I do actually like it. It's an interesting progression in the Yes sound, with the added jazzy (rather than atmospheric) keys of Moraz. That may do it for some people, even if Wakeman was more to my taste. My 'problem' (for want of a less extreme word) with the album is The Gates Of Delirium. The other two tracks, especially Sound Chaser, are excellent, reaching the heights I'd expect of Yes. The Gates... occasionally gathers together the parts of Yes that I don't particularly like. Nonetheless, the album is overall a fairly sturdy construction, I do enjoy listening to it, even if I'm a little more partial to the second half than the first. Additionally, it's definitely progressive, rather than simply extended, and also features some dazzling playing. Very good, but not, for me, the masterpiece that it is often made out to be.

The Gates Of Delirium has a few essential problems. Jon Anderson's attempt to go for more tangible and physical lyrics doesn't really pay off, I think (lines like 'kill them/give them as they give us', for instance), and I feel he's more competent and capable with his more surreal/cerebral lyrical content. Second, it only in instants really hits the lyrical content for me. The battle section is simply unconvincing, and the build-up is broken up a little unhelpfully. Finally, though I'm perhaps being enormously hypocritical here, I feel Yes tried too hard to spell out exactly what they were doing without the spark that their previous albums had. The drums-keyboard battle is a case in point. I simply don't get much really cerebral out of it, and it doesn't convey the battle at all, just a pair of chappies on keyboard and drums.

On the plus side, the basic content is excellent. Chris Squire is the highlight player with a typically fluid and distinctive bass part. Alan White doesn't handle himself at all shabbily, either, showing his sort of synergy with Squire and a number of interesting percussion choices. Moraz' keyboards do definitely add something new, and even though I'm more of a fan of Wakeman's dense and subtle atmospherics: a jazzy tinge, especially in the central section, as well as a denser organ sound and superb use of the moog. Steve Howe displays his abilities as a killer soloist and player, though not throwing in his guitar when he doesn't really feel it's necessary. The vocals, perhaps, do not have the instant charm of previous Yes-work, but they're not bad, per sé. All in all, the various musicians merge excellently to create an interesting, superbly-played end product, even if it's a tad unconnected at times, could have been abridged without much serious harm, and has its weaknesses.

Of particular interest is the reverent and haunting section segueing to Soon, where I feel the whole atmosphere bursts in, and that entire concluding part, with its rather mixed message, crossing tragedy and loss with the need to go on, stunning vocals from Anderson and keys from Moraz, as well as a carefully ebbing bass from Squire (not too unreminiscent, oddly of a softer Floyd song). Howe, as always, is right at home on the acoustics, as well as a glowing electric. A gorgeous and emotive piece of music.

Sound Chaser is a more chaotic and overtly jazzy piece, with standout performances from all involved, especially Moraz's electric piano and organ and a jaw-dropping (slightly pseudo-Spanish on electrics) solo from Howe. The rest of the men are adapted very well to the jazz playing. Anderson's more upbeat harmonised vocals suit the fluid atmosphere, and the cross of the sheer noise of the full band pieces, the darker edges (mostly contributed by a classicalish drumming style from White) and the more careful (one could say pastoral, but in a very Iberian way) sections is handled with no slips.

Additionally, though the atmosphere is given less real obvious focus, it's very present throughout. The much maligned 'cha-cha-cha-cha' section is one of my favourite Yes moments because of the slightly rougher backing vocals and drums. The whole piece is consistently brilliant, impressive and enjoyable, and Howe's solo, especially, is not to be missed.

Finally, To Be Over rounds off the album. It, too, is a decent composition, though initially rather too hesitant for my liking, and occasionally the keyboards seem a little wallowing rather than concise. I feel that the introduction would have benefited from a touch of trimming, but the worries of the piece are lost by the vocal entrance, with another entrancing harmony, an interesting twist on the classic ballady drum-beat that we might more expect from Rush, as well as a decent solo from Howe, which turns into a slightly stronger backed solo (though I can't help but feel the backing is a little normal). The 'after all... your soul will still surrender' area shows some of the more successful efforts of this song, merging more gentle and positive sections with edgy attempts. Alas, the end is somewhat riffed ad nauseam. Not a bad effort, certainly, but it's pretty emblematic of the album's merging of positive and slightly weak ideas, and I won't get the urge for it as I might for something like Close To The Edge or South Side Of The Sky.

The bonus material has the same issue as Tales. It basically regurgitates things from the album in an unpolished format. Perhaps more of interest to those who really like this album, but there's nothing really to detain me after the obligatory To Be Over. A single version of Soon feels rather out of context to me, and I can't really enjoy it so much having heard the thing in context first. The edit of Sound Chaser similarly feels a bit like obligatory bonus rather than interesting bonus. The run-through of Gates is actually quite interesting in showing a couple of the early ideas in the piece, and the drumming is a little more vicious, I feel. Not a 'you must get the remaster for this track alone' bonus, but not too terrible if you're getting the album for the first time.

'After all, your soul will still surrender...'. Perhaps not, in my case, but I think that you can't miss this album. Some wow moments, some not so wow moments, but great playing throughout, and a solid Yes album. They clearly produced a unique album that Yes could not have really done with Wakeman, and with a real gem in the middle. Probably essential, especially if you're less whiny about lyrics than I am.

Favourite Track: Sound Chaser

---

Also, much enawed by Linus, for his review of ELP's debut, which probably nailed it better than I did in about half as many words. Dammit.

I know it's not Tales, bear with me. The next review will be one of the new things. Specifically, the one which most excited me. I felt a need to review something new and interesting to re-invigorate my interest.

Obligatory Yes questions:

1) was Jon Anderson really up to scratch on that album? I've felt less impressed by his vocals on that album (not turned off, just not stunned) than on the preceding few albums. They also seem somewhat in the background and often full of harmonies. I think he only really gets to shine on Soon.
2) Which direction do you think Yes would have taken had Wakeman stayed on board after Tales? I doubt something like Sound Chaser would have emerged, but similarly I feel that the band still had the momentum to progress on this one, rather than a fairly conservative set of keys on GFTO. Perhaps more stuff like Awaken would have been in order?
3) Do you think that album would significantly have changed had White/Squire been replaced? I know they're both excellent players, and do contribute, but they seem far less crucial to the pieces' basic shape than the three soloist figures. Unlike, say, Close To The Edge, where the rhythm section is booming with direction.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Obligatory Yes questions:

1) was Jon Anderson really up to scratch on that album? I've felt less impressed by his vocals on that album (not turned off, just not stunned) than on the preceding few albums. They also seem somewhat in the background and often full of harmonies. I think he only really gets to shine on Soon.
The background thing - absolutely. But I think it adds mystique.
2) Which direction do you think Yes would have taken had Wakeman stayed on board after Tales? I doubt something like Sound Chaser would have emerged, but similarly I feel that the band still had the momentum to progress on this one, rather than a fairly conservative set of keys on GFTO. Perhaps more stuff like Awaken would have been in order? Need to hear Tales for that...
3) Do you think that album would significantly have changed had White/Squire been replaced? I know they're both excellent players, and do contribute, but they seem far less crucial to the pieces' basic shape than the three soloist figures. Unlike, say, Close To The Edge, where the rhythm section is booming with direction.Tough question. I've always found Squire a very integral part of the band, and Relayer is still full of him and his trademark sound/playing. Alan White on the other hand...drummers always feels more easily replaced for me. So no, another drummer wouldn't have affected it much.

Nice review. We only differ in that I consider Gates of Delirium masterful and up there with Close to the Edge. As of now, I can't choose which is my favourite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>