Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 21:46
Folllow the money.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 21:49
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

The failure to manifest odd metering, key changes and other time tested tools of the trade into musical sensibility of some sort is where most of the neo prog bands I have heard are failing to make the impact they could with the listener, whether it be a Prog fan or not.  I am sure this is why my wife fell asleep at the Dream Theater concert.  Technical showboating rocked her to sleep.

Thanks for reminding me about Dream Theater. In the past, I have made several earnest attempts to develop some level of affinity with this band,  but it just wouldn't work. My only vivid memory is that of  Portnoy ('cause this was before his departure), bludgeoning his kit with great vigor and stamina.

That said ... genre-wise, aren't they supposed to be metal rather than (neo)-"prog"?

Dream Theater are strictly progressive metal with some symphonic prog elements as well. Virtuoso and technical ability is the bands niche. They are the godfather of prog metal. A creative force that cannot be shut down even with the loss of one of the best drummers in the world. To me, that shows major character.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 21:59

The failure to manifest odd metering, key changes and other time tested tools of the trade into musical sensibility of some sort is where most of the neo prog bands I have heard are failing to make the impact they could with the listener, whether it be a Prog fan or not.  I am sure this is why my wife fell asleep at the Dream Theater concert.  Technical showboating rocked her to sleep.

I totally disagree. Odd metering is incredibly previlent in Neo prog. Great complex rhythms that are oddly timed are surely demonstrated in drummers like PAUL COOK(IQ) MICK POINTER(ARENA) and DANNY CAREY(tool). I think your not exploring the genre properly and are making half fast comments cause you possibly believe what your saying. Neo prog is an exceptional genre and from a creative stand point it's very much on par with what the 70's prog movement had to offer. It's just different my friend. Not better and certainly not worse.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 22:10
Originally posted by 
<br />[
<br /><div>I'm not sure that I explained properly what I mean, it's hard to find the right words but I know what I meant. When I listen to some albums from the 70's, even if they may not be masterpieces I may have a feeling of this could only have been recorded in the 70's.</div>
<br /><div> </div>[/QUOTE
[
I'm not sure that I explained properly what I mean, it's hard to find the right words but I know what I meant. When I listen to some albums from the 70's, even if they may not be masterpieces I may have a feeling of this could only have been recorded in the 70's.

[/QUOTE wrote:

Think how you want to explain this if I'm reading it correctly is that each time period or generational class of music ie(70's-80's-90's) carries a distinctive technological sound. For instance, when I hear drum
Machines and electro synth I think 80's. When I hear the moog, mellotron and organ I

Think how you want to explain this if I'm reading it correctly is that each time period or generational class of music ie(70's-80's-90's) carries a distinctive technological sound. For instance, when I hear drum
Machines and electro synth I think 80's. When I hear the moog, mellotron and organ I think of the 70's and of course when I hear grunge peddle tweaking with the guitar I think 90's. That is distinction and authentication from each era to me
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 01:33
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I totally disagree. Odd metering is incredibly previlent in Neo prog. Great complex rhythms that are oddly timed are surely demonstrated in drummers like PAUL COOK(IQ) MICK POINTER(ARENA) and DANNY CAREY(tool). I think your not exploring the genre properly and are making half fast comments cause you possibly believe what your saying. Neo prog is an exceptional genre and from a creative stand point it's very much on par with what the 70's prog movement had to offer. It's just different my friend. Not better and certainly not worse.
also I've never considered Dream Theater to be 'neo prog'.

in a way the answer to the original question is in the question itself. Classic anything always fades. Thats why its classic.
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 04:58
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I love much modern prog but I can somehow guess what Surrealist is talking about, and I think it has to do with the sense of "authenticity" or "innocence" or "undeliberation" or "unadulteration" or I don't know how to call it.

Back in the 70's prog scene it was too early to talk about influences, sub-genres, clones etc. Prog bands just did what they felt right at that time with very little pre-existing similar music to base themselves on, and when they got the planets and stars in the right alignment (don't shoot me this is a metaphor) the result was simply lovely, pure, unadulterated, authentical brilliant music resulting from a genuine situation of open musical freedom.

Nowadays of course proggy musicians keep trying to do their own thing at their best and surely a lot of great prog is being made, but the thoughts of "comparison", "influences", "sounds like this or that", "it's derivative" etc etc are unavoidable except for truly avant music or new sub-genres, so much prog made today even if composed and played proficiently may suffer from a lack of authenticity or purity compared to the 70's masterpieces, it simply can not sound as genuine, not because of the musicians fault but simply because of the historical conjucture.

Just as any modern car has it really hard to become so authentically iconic as the original VW Beetle or the original Fiat 500 or the original Mini.

Of course this is not valid when we go to contemporary really progressive-avant styles which share little if anything with 70's prog. 

I'm not sure that I explained properly what I mean, it's hard to find the right words but I know what I meant. When I listen to some albums from the 70's, even if they may not be masterpieces I may have a feeling of "this could only have been recorded in the 70's".

I have mentioned this on another thread and received much resistance, but digital recording has been an absolute disaster to progressive rock in particular.  The great Prog bands stood out because they were technically superior musicians in most cases compared to your standard rock musicians.  Before digital editing where EVERYTHING can be fixed after is has been recorded, bands actually had to play the parts even when multitracking.  Now, musicians spend more time on a computer than they do playing their instruments.  Most every musician these days is so caught up in the computer editing software they literally would not know what to do without it.  Line everything up perfect, fix this, fix that, change the pitch of the vocal that was flat, quantize the drums and bass together, play 5 seconds of perfection and copy and past it endlessly or loop it over and over and thump your chest with your fists and declare you are a "golden god".  Sample someone elses perfect sounds... etc.  It is an absolute disaster stripping the humanity and life out of nearly every recording.  As bad as digital recording is in the hands of street consumers, poor quality recordings are standard fair and accepted as status quo.  While Prog in the 70's often had real pros working with the bands, now it amateurs teaching amateurs how to be sound engineers.  George Martin is now "Cee Low" rapper.

The public now expects the homogenized sound everyone has access to. 

In the 70's, the lack of this "silly luxury" kept it real and musicians actually had to practice to lay quality tracks.  In that extra practice also came ideas while practicing so this aided the creative process as it had for thousands of years. 

I sold some gear to a guy who said his 13 year old son has written 10 full symphonies on a computer, even though he can't play any instrument.  This is utter nonsense and needs to stop. 

Of course the recordings pre digital age were much more honest.. and everyone could feel the band and how they were shaping the music and their sound. 

Music IS NOT about perfection in production any more that oil paintings should look like photography. 

We are getting TV dinner music compared to grandma's home cooking goodness. 
So I know the same folk here are going to go on and on about how things change, and it's not the 70's anymore, and prog progresses and yadda yadda yadda.. but that is just that crap argument for TV dinners are the grand progression of human food processing.

The prophetic "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" has arrived and I hope it tastes good to you guys.. it sure doesn't to me.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 06:20

I love much modern prog but I can somehow guess what Surrealist is talking about, and I think it has to do with the sense of "authenticity" or "innocence" or "undeliberation" or "unadulteration" or I don't know how to call it.

Back in the 70's prog scene it was too early to talk about influences, sub-genres, clones etc. Prog bands just did what they felt right at that time with very little pre-existing similar music to base themselves on, and when they got the planets and stars in the right alignment (don't shoot me this is a metaphor) the result was simply lovely, pure, unadulterated, authentical brilliant music resulting from a genuine situation of open musical freedom.

Nowadays of course proggy musicians keep trying to do their own thing at their best and surely a lot of great prog is being made, but the thoughts of "comparison", "influences", "sounds like this or that", "it's derivative" etc etc are unavoidable except for truly avant music or new sub-genres, so much prog made today even if composed and played proficiently may suffer from a lack of authenticity or purity compared to the 70's masterpieces, it simply can not sound as genuine, not because of the musicians fault but simply because of the historical conjucture.

Just as any modern car has it really hard to become so authentically iconic as the original VW Beetle or the original Fiat 500 or the original Mini.

Of course this is not valid when we go to contemporary really progressive-avant styles which share little if anything with 70's prog. 

I'm not sure that I explained properly what I mean, it's hard to find the right words but I know what I meant. When I listen to some albums from the 70's, even if they may not be masterpieces I may have a feeling of "this could only have been recorded in the 70's".

I agree with much of what you said, but in my opinion it has very little to do with recording techniques or playing styles or the 'extent of digital manipulation' but something much more fundamental, that being the slow death of composition.   Everybody only wants to be the next Petrucci or the next Halford today, nobody wants to be the next Iommi, the riffmeister par excellence.   Nobody wants to be the next Fripp, who is of course a very accomplished guitarist (and just doesn't shred, making his technicality more subtle).  

Ideas have probably never been as devalued since the time of the Beatles as they are today in rock music.  This also has much to do with nostalgic attachment of listeners to old sounds and old styles.   Let's face it, we just don't have much time for music.  And in what time we do have, most of us don't like to be surprised.  I guess the first impulse of most people if they hear something weird and discomfiting (to them) would be to blast the pretension and overambitiousness of the band than to praise their adventure.   It would be very discouraging for bands to innovate in such a climate and so they go on pouring old wine in a new bottle.  But then of course, people like Surrealist complain that the bottle has changed!    And so it goes on. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 06:49

I have mentioned this on another thread and received much resistance, but digital recording has been an absolute disaster to progressive rock in particular.  The great Prog bands stood out because they were technically superior musicians in most cases compared to your standard rock musicians.  Before digital editing where EVERYTHING can be fixed after is has been recorded, bands actually had to play the parts even when multitracking.  Now, musicians spend more time on a computer than they do playing their instruments.  Most every musician these days is so caught up in the computer editing software they literally would not know what to do without it.  Line everything up perfect, fix this, fix that, change the pitch of the vocal that was flat, quantize the drums and bass together, play 5 seconds of perfection and copy and past it endlessly or loop it over and over and thump your chest with your fists and declare you are a "golden god".  Sample someone elses perfect sounds... etc.  It is an absolute disaster stripping the humanity and life out of nearly every recording.  As bad as digital recording is in the hands of street consumers, poor quality recordings are standard fair and accepted as status quo.  While Prog in the 70's often had real pros working with the bands, now it amateurs teaching amateurs how to be sound engineers.  George Martin is now "Cee Low" rapper.
I really don't get this. Just because the tools are there to allow producers and sound engineers to do this it does not mean that it is used everywhere on everything by everyone. Time alone does not permit this - faffing about tweeking every note is time-consuming and just does not happen, sure the odd note may be tweeked if studio-fatique results in the musician failing to hit that special note perfectly in every take but even in today's studio environment near-enough is good-enough, just as it was in the halcion days of time-is-money analogue studios. If you are recording a live band, which is the case in most Progressive Rock/Metal bands today just as it was back then, then the aim is to produce the best product for the person paying the studio invoice - you cannot equate this to a bedroom amatueur using Fruityloops Studio on their Playstation, a manufactured Pop artist or whatever is happening in the Rap and R&B world. The argument is disengenuous and an insult to modern musicians and studio engineers.

If everything you say is true then you have to ask why. Why are these so-called amateurs using modern technology kicking the arses of so-called professionals so hard? If what they are producing is so inferior then where is the threat?

The reality is they are not amateurs teaching amateurs - there are now more professional studio engineers than ever before, it is a discipline that has an academic foundtion that did not exist back in the day. More students are studying studio sound production at college and university than ever before and those who graduate with a professional qualification are finding fulltime employment in real live studios working with real live musicians producing real live music. The technology used is irrelevant in these cases, it is just a means to an end, a tool of the trade.

Even then, modern digital studios are owned and staffed by people who learnt their trade the old-fashioned way and they are using the same techniques and methods that have been used since the first professional recording studio was built. Many of the studios I am familiar with in my local area are owned by practicing musicians. This is just less institutionalised and corporate than it was in the days of George Martin and Abbey Road, more of these studios are privately owned and managed and are not under the direct control of a record label or multi-national corporation, but that does not make them amateur or unprofessional. I would not call Karl Groom at Thin Ice Studios an amateur producer/engineer or an unpracticed or amateur musician, nor would I level that criticism at any of the artists who have recorded albums using his studio. He is not an exception here, there are hundreds of professional studios working throughout the world owned, employing and employed by professionals. Moreover, he is a real person, if you formulate a list of questions (and accusations) in a rational way then we can go and interview him about his studio and the methods he uses when recording, and discuss the merits of analogue and digital recording, I cannot guarantee he will reply, but we can but ask (which is far better than making unsubstantiated assumptions).

The numbers of self-taught amateurs creating music in their bedrooms, basements and garages is indeed higher than ever before too, but they are not in direct competition with the professionals working in professional studios, they are not producing mass-market product that is selling by the bucket-load. If one in a thousand of those creates something that makes you sit-up and listen then hooray! Let's applaud that achievement for what it is and not deride the nine hundred and ninety-nine others for failing to threaten the professionals.

No they don't. They get what they're given and if they like it they buy it. There is no consumer expectation at play here. In the real world people don't buy based upon the production qualities alone.

In the 70's, the lack of this "silly luxury" kept it real and musicians actually had to practice to lay quality tracks.  In that extra practice also came ideas while practicing so this aided the creative process as it had for thousands of years. 
And modern musicians do not practice? Please provide actual proof of this.

I sold some gear to a guy who said his 13 year old son has written 10 full symphonies on a computer, even though he can't play any instrument.  This is utter nonsense and needs to stop. 
Why?

Why is a 13-year old amateur composing 10 full symphonies on a computer perceived to be such a threat? If the kid is happy doing what he does and that makes his dad proud enough to invest some cash in his hobby then where is the crime and where is the harm? Even in my jaded view of the X-Box generation this is something that should be applauded and encouraged, not ridiculed and stopped.

You have made a judgement without hearing a single note that leaves me wondering how much of your other pronouncements are based upon preconceptions and assumptions. You were more than happy to take the guy's money it seems.

Of course the recordings pre digital age were much more honest.. and everyone could feel the band and how they were shaping the music and their sound. 
The modern world is full of honest musicians making honest recordings using whatever technology is at hand. Manufactured music existed back in the 60s and 70s, whole albums were released by "bands" who never played a single note on their own albums.

Music IS NOT about perfection in production any more that oil paintings should look like photography. 
And this is true today, you only have to cast off your preconceptions to see this.

So I know the same folk here are going to go on and on about how things change, and it's not the 70's anymore, and prog progresses and yadda yadda yadda.. but that is just that crap argument for TV dinners are the grand progression of human food processing.

The prophetic "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" has arrived and I hope it tastes good to you guys.. it sure doesn't to me.

Blah. This is utter nonsense and has to stop.

What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 07:17
^ Great post - just what i would like to answer, if I had the language skill, to express myself clearly in long posts.

Edited by tamijo - November 23 2012 at 07:19
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 07:30

That's quite different from what I said or meant, I don't think that the new recording techniques are necessarily a problem for the quality of modern music, at least not in the environment of prog.

What you say may be right for much mainstream music out there but we still have real musicians in prog and I believe that most of what we hear in modern prog studio albums has actually been played "live in the studio" on a real instrument. If what you say was true modern bands would not be able to play live concerts.

I do agree that the extensive use of digital technology and post-recording editing of some modern prog makes it sound more sterile, but that is not the rule.

And I do agree with Rogerthat that generalising, modern musicians seem to tend to pay less attention to composition, though I am aware that this statement is subjective.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 07:51
Well done Dean. I am getting tired of the drivel that surrealist writes.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 09:08

That's quite different from what I said or meant, I don't think that the new recording techniques are necessarily a problem for the quality of modern music, at least not in the environment of prog.

What you say may be right for much mainstream music out there but we still have real musicians in prog and I believe that most of what we hear in modern prog studio albums has actually been played "live in the studio" on a real instrument. If what you say was true modern bands would not be able to play live concerts.

I do agree that the extensive use of digital technology and post-recording editing of some modern prog makes it sound more sterile, but that is not the rule.

And I do agree with Rogerthat that generalising, modern musicians seem to tend to pay less attention to composition, though I am aware that this statement is subjective.

I'm in agreement with you here Gerard, though I would have to say that in a lot of mainstream music there are a high number of real musicians who are not only capable of playing live concerts, but also can replicate that in a studio and vice versa, whether we like that music or not - I'm no fan of Munford & Sons or Keane or any of those other "indie" mainstream artists, but I cannot truthfully say they are not real musicians or the albums they release are the product of cunning studio trickery. Sure I find Coldplay, Elbow and the like to be a tad over-produced and a little too pristine for my personal tastes but seeing videos Elbow performing live in Abbey Road creating the same lush over-produced sound without studio manipulation doesn't make me think that there is something amiss with modern production or they are not practiced (and well rehearsed) musicians. You only have to tune into Live With Jools Holland every week to see a plethora of mainstream artists doing what live bands have always been able to do.

Of course I am cherry-picking here, deliberately ignoring the kind of mainstream artists that people are refering to, and with good cause - i would no more compare One Direction, Rihanna and Little Mix with Prog (of any era) than I would have tried comparing The Partridge Family, The Bay City Rollers or The Rubettes with Yes and Genesis back in the 70s. When making such observations we really must compare like for like.

Sure some Neo Prog sounds sterile and derivative, but I suspect that is a product of the bands themselves than the studio technology they use, and in the main I dislike those particular bands anyway, just as I disliked Flash and Blodwyn Pig back in the 70s. As you say, there is just too much modern Prog and even Neo Prog that does not fit that description sufficiently to make it a generalisation or a rule - we can sit here all day realing off the names of modern Prog and Neo Prog artists who do not create sterile sounding albums and whose music is not derivative.

I must admit I've not given the idea of composition any thought, and perhaps because I do not see that much of a difference between then and now - even our favourite compositions of the golden era had a toe-hold in the basic framework of 12 and 16-bar blues with the variations in verse, chorus and bridge that has always existed in Popular Music since the days of Music Hall and family sing-songs around the piano in the parlour. How much those epic prog masterpieces were "composed" is open to conjecture, I'm sure many of them were little more than extended jams or were allowed to grow organically in the rehearsal studio or on stage. Certainly if you read what Rick Wakeman has said on how Yes created music it is more a case of Jon had a bit that did this, and Chris has bit that goes like that and his job was to come up with some twiddley bits to connect the two together while they went for lunch. Songs constructed by committee are never going to be "composed" in the traditional sense of the word in that there was ever an overal design or plan of how the final piece should be.

Edited by Dean - November 23 2012 at 09:10
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I must admit I've not given the idea of composition any thought, and perhaps because I do not see that much of a difference between then and now - even our favourite compositions of the golden era had a toe-hold in the basic framework of 12 and 16-bar blues with the variations in verse, chorus and bridge that has always existed in Popular Music since the days of Music Hall and family sing-songs around the piano in the parlour. How much those epic prog masterpieces were "composed" is open to conjecture, I'm sure many of them were little more than extended jams or were allowed to grow organically in the rehearsal studio or on stage. Certainly if you read what Rick Wakeman has said on how Yes created music it is more a case of Jon had a bit that did this, and Chris has bit that goes like that and his job was to come up with some twiddley bits to connect the two together while they went for lunch. Songs constructed by committee are never going to be "composed" in the traditional sense of the word in that there was ever an overal design or plan of how the final piece should be.

I don't doubt that there is a lot of truth in that but my point was very different.   There is not much fascination today with trying to write interesting music or the desire to surprise.  Surprise has almost become a bad thing today; it seems to be eminently preferable to write music that conforms to somebody's comfort zone.   What is progressive about music that does not resolve conflict.  Prog rock bands in the 70s may have dipped into well entrenched sources but they did possess a sense of adventure that is today only found to some extent in extreme metal (which also seems to have peaked).    I am sure there would be moments where conflict is built and resolved in many prog rock tracks of the present day but the manner in which it is attempted has become more and more cliched.   And strangely, the more daring and less 'boxed in' artists, like Radiohead and Bjork, seem to be the ones that people have most difficulty in regarding as prog rock.    Which seems to support my, possibly unfounded, belief that many listeners have got too comfortable now, wanting more of the same and then moaning that there's not much creativity in the air.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 09:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I don't doubt that there is a lot of truth in that but my point was very different.   There is not much fascination today with trying to write interesting music or the desire to surprise.  Surprise has almost become a bad thing today; it seems to be eminently preferable to write music that conforms to somebody's comfort zone.   What is progressive about music that does not resolve conflict.  Prog rock bands in the 70s may have dipped into well entrenched sources but they did possess a sense of adventure that is today only found to some extent in extreme metal (which also seems to have peaked).    I am sure there would be moments where conflict is built and resolved in many prog rock tracks of the present day but the manner in which it is attempted has become more and more cliched.   And strangely, the more daring and less 'boxed in' artists, like Radiohead and Bjork, seem to be the ones that people have most difficulty in regarding as prog rock.    Which seems to support my, possibly unfounded, belief that many listeners have got too comfortable now, wanting more of the same and then moaning that there's not much creativity in the air.
Ah, I see, Yes I guess there is something to that - though I would not single that out as being an element of the whole compositional process that is lacking as such. I think there are artists such as The Enid who still compose with that dynamic element of sudden change and modern bands like The Mars Volta and The Dear Hunter (and still a number of metal bands like Orphaned Land) who are still capable of surprise and adventure in the music they produce. But then there are others like The Flower Kings, Phideaux, Manning etc  who maintain a more melodic flow to their compositions that belies the complexity of what they produce. In many respects it's like the course of a river that becomes meandering and slower in its old age - Progressive Metal was a young genre were being adventurous was new and fresh and anything seemed possible. Bjork is an interesting case in point, as you say some people have difficulty in regarding her as Prog Rock even when she fulfils all the requirements of weird and wonderful, of wacky time signatures, inventive key changes, non-standard structures and forms, unusual instrumentation and arrangement, meaningflully meaningless lyrics and wealth of surprise and adventure. It's a strange but beguiling world we inhabit.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 09:56
^^^ One handicap I have in this discussion is I didn't hear TFK and other such recent symph prog acts BEFORE I heard Genesis/Yes/GG etc (though that should have been how I went about it, because I wasn't born in the 70s).   I can't possibly know how I would have reacted to TFK without my mind already being biased by my previous experience of the older bands.  To some extent, I do because prog rock was not my first exposure to complex or ambitious music and maybe I wouldn't have found TFK particularly thrilling in an alternative scenario either.  

As things stand, I can't read it like a whole new book no matter what I try.  It's all too familiar for me and that tends to make it off putting for me, especially in prog rock when I invest a lot of time in concentrating on long tracks that I hope to enjoy.    
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 10:02

How much those epic prog masterpieces were "composed" is open to conjecture, I'm sure many of them were little more than extended jams or were allowed to grow organically in the rehearsal studio or on stage. Certainly if you read what Rick Wakeman has said on how Yes created music it is more a case of Jon had a bit that did this, and Chris has bit that goes like that and his job was to come up with some twiddley bits to connect the two together while they went for lunch. Songs constructed by committee are never going to be "composed" in the traditional sense of the word in that there was ever an overal design or plan of how the final piece should be.

Agree with all the rest but on this part I shave to say:

1. Not all 70's masterpieces were written in committee, many were written by a single band member (or at least credited to, when it is always intriguing how much of the final product was actually thought of by the credited composer or a creative contribution by the other instrumentalists / singer(s)).

2. Composition by a single musician may have been the tradition since classical times but I do not agree that music can not be "composed" by a team of two or more musicians.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 10:04

1. Not all 70's masterpieces were written in committee, many were written by a single band member (or at least credited to, when it is always intriguing how much of the final product was actually thought of by the credited composer or a creative contribution by the other instrumentalists / singer(s)).

Many JT tracks were composed mainly, if not entirely, by Ian Anderson, if I am not mistaken.  I have read that when he couldn't communicate what he wanted from his bandmates, he would utilize his skills at playing multiple instruments to make demo recordings of his compositions.  

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 11:00
^^^

Agree with the post above. Almost all the material (music and lyrics) was written by Ian himself.
The other band's members were mainly involved in arrengements rather than in composition.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - November 23 2012 at 11:00
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 11:29

How much those epic prog masterpieces were "composed" is open to conjecture, I'm sure many of them were little more than extended jams or were allowed to grow organically in the rehearsal studio or on stage. Certainly if you read what Rick Wakeman has said on how Yes created music it is more a case of Jon had a bit that did this, and Chris has bit that goes like that and his job was to come up with some twiddley bits to connect the two together while they went for lunch. Songs constructed by committee are never going to be "composed" in the traditional sense of the word in that there was ever an overal design or plan of how the final piece should be.

Agree with all the rest but on this part I shave to say:

2. Composition by a single musician may have been the tradition since classical times but I do not agree that music can not be "composed" by a team of two or more musicians.

Traditionally the song writting credit is given to the person(s) who composed the main melody and lyric. In a band most members contribute their own parts (bass, drums etc.) without being given composing credit, for example Bruford isn't creditied with as composer on every track from Fragile, Close To The Edge, Starless or Red, yet it is difficult to imagine any other band member "composing" the drum sections for any of those albums. In many the cases where there is multiple credit for the composition then this could be either a democratic blanket credit as in the case of early Genesis albums where each track was simply creditted to "Genesis" at the time regardless of who actually wrote it:

or by mutual agreement, as in Lennon and McCartney sharing joint credit for each other's songs. When more than one person actually contributed to the song then that could be different people composing different sections of the whole track, as illustrated by my Rick Wakeman example earlier, or it could be the members of the band just contributing the parts played by their instrument, as in asking the bass player to come up with something to go with a melody written by the keyboardist and rhythm line added by the guitarist to a lyric written by the singer over a beat laid down by the drummer.

None of that I would strictly call joint-composition in the sense of composing a piece of music with a predefined structure to an overal plan of how the final piece should be.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 11:42
To say prog rock musicians were better musicians than rock musicians back in the seventies is a strange and mistaken opinion in my opinion. If I remember correctly many rock musicians appeared on prog rock records back in that time period. I think if you want a totally nostalgic music site then PA is probably not for you. I think you might fit in wherever Walter is hanging out these days. I think you, Surrealist, are painting with a very narrow brush.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>