Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 191>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:27
I am able to be wrong. There could be a god. I'm not sure he could possibly fit all the descriptions he's been given in all these holy books, but there could be a god and he could be aligned with one of these factions of believers on earth. He could send all them to heaven and all us to hell. This isn't reason to believe ("There could be a $100 bill under that dog turd") but I can not absolutely 100% rule out the possibility. (Some would say this makes me an agnostic rather than an atheist which might technically be true but how many atheists go around saying they know for a fact there is no god. Most atheists are open to agnosticism but are just very sure there isn't a god and call themselves atheists.)

Being able to be wrong is hugely important for intellectual development and success. If great minds like Newton and Edison had insisted that they were right, if they were unable to acknowledge that they might be mistaken about something, then they wouldn't have been great minds. It was an ability to go "Hey, these things we think might be WRONG... holy sh*t I had a check and they ARE wrong" that allowed them to see in different ways and thus discover.

And so we come to the theist. Most theists cannot say this. Find theists who go "Oh yeah the whole thing might be bullsh*t." I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're pretty damn rare, that's for sure. (And arguably, as I said above, if you do that you're not theist, you're an agnostic.) Every new experience is bent to fit the picture of being right. 2.5 million children under five in Somalia starve to death in a universe ruled by an all-loving and all-powerful god who only wants peace, love and happiness for us? Um, we'll think of something. We will not explore the possibility that we might be wrong and therefore we are useless to the advancement of society and humanity. Because if we made a mistake earlier down the line in the development of our conception of the universe, rather than going back and revising, we will allow it to remain there forever, causing damage for all eternity.

This is why I will not leave them be. They are bad for us. They will not adapt to real circumstances. They will not improve their conceptions. Out they go.

Edited by Textbook - April 04 2012 at 23:29
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:31
inb4 "you might be wrong about them being bad for us" etc

Yes I might be, I said that at the start when I said their might be a god. But everything tells me they are bad for us so I'm going with that, I'm not going to make a judgement based on evidence I've never come across.

Edited by Textbook - April 04 2012 at 23:31
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 07:39
Is that addressed at me?

Newton was actually rather stubborn. Edison was as well.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 18:39
Well duh, you kind of have to be to go against the status quo.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 18:44
I am still religiously agnostic.

Tongue

Edited by JJLehto - April 05 2012 at 18:44
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:13
Agnosticim makes no sense because it's *definitely* wrong.

There's either a god/afterlife or there isn't.

A believer could be right. An atheist could be right.

An agnostic must be wrong.

Now this doesn't matter much perhaps because one could be agnostic and lead a nice worthwhile life but I think when presented with a question, it's just good standard practise to select one of the options that doesn't have a 0% probability of being correct. Most agnostics live as atheists so perhaps in that sense they have chosen.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:15
They have chosen but are worried that they chose wrong.LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:17
I used to describe myself as agnostic. Just to show I was open minded to everyone. But now I realise how stupid that was. I want everyone to know that I think the very idea of a supreme being is total horsesh*t!
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:29
Spiritual Junk Food

We all want to have good positive thoughts that make us feel confident and expectant of good things. But how to attain this state? Religion seems to do a good job of this.

But it's a quick fix. I don't blame people for seeking a quick fix. It's only natural to want the greatest amount of pleasure for the least amount of effort. However, quick fixes don't work on deeper levels and most of the time they ultimately lead to failure and undesirable outcomes.

It's like McDonald's. McDonald's is the world's most popular food brand. Yet it's not very good, bad for your health and there are all sorts of ethical and economic injustices associated with the company that you support by purchasing food there. But everyone does because they want something warm and reliable in their tummy. To think through all the alternatives and implications of this decision makes life too difficult. We could go prepare our own food, but oh the time, the responsibility. So McDonald's it is. Eat it all the time, get sick, support an uncaring, borderline evil system that seeks nothing but its own continuation at the cost of everything else. Hooray!

Religion is exactly the same. We *could* create a value system that doesn't rely on magic and sourceless "knowledge" but it would be so much trouble, involve so much doubt and questioning and thinking. I want a moral system I can understand operate within NOW, one that has something nice waiting for me at the end, I don't want to waste my time wondering about all the little problems involved. McSpirituality, that's organised religion for you. A big greasy bullsh*t corporate product slopped down on your plate that doesn't make you do any of that pesky hard work or take responsibility for what it is, all you have to do is suck it down.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 07:19
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 09:06
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Well duh, you kind of have to be to go against the status quo.

I meant it in a close minded way not in a stick to your principles way. My point is that great minds are often just as narrow and biased as anybody else.

Now this doesn't matter much perhaps because one could be agnostic and lead a nice worthwhile life but I think when presented with a question, it's just good standard practise to select one of the options that doesn't have a 0% probability of being correct. Most agnostics live as atheists so perhaps in that sense they have chosen.

Do you know what agnosticism is? It doesn't hold that there's a middle ground between the existence and non-existence of an entity. It's essentially the idea that such an existence or non-existence cannot be verified. Rather than assert rather bluntly that there is no "god" thing, you're simply maintaining that there's no scientific/logical proof/disproof of the thing. Of course of these grounds, there's no reason to believe in the being. I don't see how that makes the agnostic wrong.

It's not a wild idea. See The Continuum Hypothesis for a real example.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:27

I'm an agnostic. Basically, I don't know whether there is a god or no (I really don't f**king care most of the time) and I'm not so pretentious as to say I know that ultimate answer. 

If you know 100% the answer, let me know. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:58
I believe that people who believe in the existence of an all loving God and an eternal life after death are involved in "Wish Fullfilment" They want to believe it to be true so much, and it makes them feel SO good inside, that they cannot even consider thinking otherwise.
           And a lot of it is also based in a denial of what death really is-death is so frightening and negative, that they want their afterlife beliefs to smother that negativity.
                  In the end, what matters is the truth, not what makes you feel fantastic. i know how negative death is, too, but i accept it for what it really is.

Religion can be like a drug!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:03
Us atheists really should have our own thread.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:03

Textbook you are correct.

Agnosticism is religion purged of faith, leaving the same religious doubt of the material world.

Atheism is an understanding of religion that negates it, by showing the process of the material world created it and the concept of God, in the course of human history.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:07
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I believe that people who believe in the existence of an all loving God and an eternal life after death are involved in "Wish Fullfilment" They want to believe it to be true so much, and it makes them feel SO good inside, that they cannot even consider thinking otherwise.
           And a lot of it is also based in a denial of what death really is-death is so frightening and negative, that they want their afterlife beliefs to smother that negativity.
                  In the end, what matters is the truth, not what makes you feel fantastic. i know how negative death is, too, but i accept it for what it really is.

Sums it all up really. I include myself as one of those people who really want to believe because I find the alternative (nothing, forever) really rather frightening.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:42
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Textbook you are correct.

Agnosticism is religion purged of faith, leaving the same religious doubt of the material world.

Atheism is an understanding of religion that negates it, by showing the process of the material world created it and the concept of God, in the course of human history.

How does agnosticism leave a religious doubt of the material world?

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:47
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Sums it all up really. I include myself as one of those people who really want to believe because I find the alternative (nothing, forever) really rather frightening.
Thanks for your response. And i hope i don't come across as insensitive to, or lacking in empathy with, people who turn to religion out of fear. Man, i fear death too.
                 It is a hard thing to accept, isn't it, people. It is a crazy thing!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:51

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thanks for your response. And i hope i don't come across as insensitive to, or lacking in empathy with, people who turn to religion out of fear. Man, i fear death too.
                 It is a hard thing to accept, isn't it, people. It is a crazy thing!

I don't think you're being insensitive, but you're vastly oversimplifying the situation.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:55
But , then, would i really want to live for ever and ever, without an end at all? I think not.
           If there is any solace, we as mortal beings are not alone, and have each others company.
         And Love is something that is real and makes life worth living!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 191>