Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
110 [82.71%]
23 [17.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 08:13
^ yeah... but you've been around long enough to know the score..

they ain't Euros... they are a known 70's American band thus held to different standards than merely their music...

but if they had been they'd be considered prog for sure haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ yeah... but you've been around long enough to know the score..

they ain't Euros... they are a known 70's American band thus held to different standards than merely their music...

but if they had been they'd be considered prog for sure haha

Yes, and what people don't seem to understand is that both Alice Cooper and Peter Gabriel's theatrics had a direct antecedent in Arthur Brown. Both Coop and Gabriel directly named the Crazy World of Arthur Brown as an influence on their stage shows, with Gabriel telling Arthur Brown before a show (Genesis supported Brown on tours early on), "You'll see a lot of yourself in me tonight." 

So, Peter Gabriel was not somehow "prog" when doing his schtick. In fact, the face paint of Gabriel, David Bowie and Alice Cooper all had a common rock ancestor.

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 07 2021 at 10:16
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 10:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Depends on your definition of prog. Ravine doesn't sound like much. But having a track of just atmospherics on a double disc narrative concept album that provided time for PG to switch costumes for their live performances is pretty classic prog.

Stage musicals has been doing that for centuries for costume or scene changes. There is nothing "prog" about it -- in fact it is far more Broadway than prog. They even have words for it in several languages, like "intermezzo", "verwandlungsmusik", "entr'acte" or "incidental music", or for more specific play-within-play moments, divertimento or divertissement, or for quicker transitions "vamping", as in "vamp till cue".

And Classical and Jazz were already a thing for centuries and decades respectively. But ELP still drew from that well. It's doing those things in the context of rock that made them prog for the time.

Alice Cooper must be prog then. He was doing the Broadway bits like that years before The Lamb came out. Clear back in 1971 with Killer and 1972 with School's Out to be exact. 
I'm simply saying that it effuses the idea of classic "prog" bands. Just like Emerson flipping the piano end over end. That scene was bombastic. If someone had done it before, even in rock music, maybe that makes it less "progressive." But I mean "prog" as in the style. Also, Arthur Brown to Alice Cooper to Genesis stage antics is such a relatively short amount of time. Some people might have seen Genesis do it first, so to them, it blew their minds. By the time Marillion got around to face paint, I'm sure a larger proportion of people had seen it done before (KISS, am I right?)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 15:05

^Depends on your definition of prog. Ravine doesn't sound like much. But having a track of just atmospherics on a double disc narrative concept album that provided time for PG to switch costumes for their live performances is pretty classic prog.

Stage musicals has been doing that for centuries for costume or scene changes. There is nothing "prog" about it -- in fact it is far more Broadway than prog. They even have words for it in several languages, like "intermezzo", "verwandlungsmusik", "entr'acte" or "incidental music", or for more specific play-within-play moments, divertimento or divertissement, or for quicker transitions "vamping", as in "vamp till cue".

And Classical and Jazz were already a thing for centuries and decades respectively. But ELP still drew from that well. It's doing those things in the context of rock that made them prog for the time.

Alice Cooper must be prog then. He was doing the Broadway bits like that years before The Lamb came out. Clear back in 1971 with Killer and 1972 with School's Out to be exact. 
I'm simply saying that it effuses the idea of classic "prog" bands. Just like Emerson flipping the piano end over end. That scene was bombastic. If someone had done it before, even in rock music, maybe that makes it less "progressive." But I mean "prog" as in the style. Also, Arthur Brown to Alice Cooper to Genesis stage antics is such a relatively short amount of time. Some people might have seen Genesis do it first, so to them, it blew their minds. By the time Marillion got around to face paint, I'm sure a larger proportion of people had seen it done before (KISS, am I right?)

Actually, Killer and School's Out were top ten hits in the UK in 1971-72, and Billion Dollar Babies went to #1 on that side of the pond in '73.  And because of Mary Whitehouse  -- she of the Whitehouse in Pink Floyd's "Pigs (Three Different Kinds)" -- trying to ban the title song from the album for indecency, the song "School's Out" also went to #1 in the UK (Alice thanked her for the free publicity by sending her bunches of flowers). In fact, in Glasgow hundreds of kids broke through police barricades at the airport and overturned limos in an effort to get to Alice. But this whole conversation has been diversionary.

In any case, I am really just pointing out the fallacy of considering one band "all prog" and another "partly prog". My point was about Pink Floyd being progressive rock, which they were. Not partly prog, but a prog rock band on the compositional, sound engineering and conceptual side.

The whole point of the cow appearing on the cover of Atom Heart Mother was a reaction by the band against all the imagery of space pysch rock that accumulated on posters and in articles of the time. They were leaving that era. They were composing full suites of music. They were doing arrangements with brass and choir. And eventually they would release 4 concept albums in a row: DSotM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall -- all different from each other, but all clearly still Floyd. This was no longer your stoned hippy older brother's Floyd. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 21:11
Well, I don't disagree with you. So maybe we're just "violently agreeing."
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 12:55
Pink Floyd music is generally blues-based, not classical-based or jazz-based or folk-based. 

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 13:34
Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:05
As unexcited, nay, even depressed as I am by Pink Floyd's music, they are absolutely prog
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:09
Apparently, I already voted once before, so that's one More vote for Yes. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Apparently, I already voted once before, so that's one More vote for Yes. Smile

But this is about Pink Floyd and not Yes. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:11
If they aren't prog then what are they? Classic rock? Lol. There are many prog subgenres so imo it's ridiculous to think they don't fit into at least one of them. Space rock? Maybe. 
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:48
I think people just maybe disassociate them with prog because they enjoyed a LOT more commercial success than others. They are prog in my book
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2023 at 14:58
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 13:51
Yeah, when you can make pigs fly it's prog. Approve

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 15:11
Most definitely. I'll throw in The Doors, too. Chicago, The Beatles. Not The Rolling Stones.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 15:36
...Not Chicago, not The Stones and NOT the Beatles....ugh! Confused
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 11:18
Progressive music to me means simply evolving (progressing) from mere amusement to art music. It can (in some cases) still be entertaining and fun but it's also appreciated because of its aesthetic/artistic value/beauty.

This involves some creative attitude and sophistication that is not always manifested in virtuosity and complex compositions. It can be manifest in other aspects of music.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 11:29
Yes! Smile
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 13:06
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Pink Floyd music is generally blues-based, not classical-based or jazz-based or folk-based. 

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 13:16
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

I think this person is trying to imply that prog can't be blues based. I personally don't hear a whole lot of blues in PF. Sure there's some maybe but they went way beyond that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>