Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 119>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 13:59
This is one of those days, and items of news, which genuinely speaks to an entire generation, be they rock, pop, or culture aficionados, or merely "there at the time".

For those of us over 50, certainly, Bowie was huge. He shaped, and influenced, so many it is impossible to merely name them here. Even more than Squire, Bowie was a cultural icon, because his appeal leapt across genres in a way Chris did not.

Naturally, his musical legacy will last for many years. In years to come, I truly believe he will be regarded and spoken about in the same breath as Sinatra or Presley, his impact was that big.

I pray for his family, I recognise very clearly the fragility and tragedy of our short time on this earth, but celebrate the talent and joy he gave to so many people.

The loss on earth is absolutely a massive gain in heaven today.

RIP.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 10:32
Grizzly Adams actor Dan Haggerty has passed on.  Another one lost to cancer...good grief.
RIP big guy.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/01/15/dan-haggerty-dead-cancer-grizzly-adams-actor-dies/

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 03:18
Glenn Frey (Eagles, 06.11.1948-18.01.2016). RIP.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 18:07
RIP Dale Griffin (Mott the Hoople)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 08:07
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

RIP Dale Griffin (Mott the Hoople)

Mott the Hoople were one of my favorites in the 70s.  RIP Dale!

Man, they are dropping like flies this year....
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 10:23
Jimmy Bain - bassist for Rainbow & Dio

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 13:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Jimmy Bain - bassist for Rainbow & Dio

That's a real shame. I have extremely fond memories of discovering his work on Rising.

RIP
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 13:18
Rest in Peace, he contributed to many amazing albums.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 13:21
Colin Vearncombe (Black) died yesterday a week after a car accident. He was 53. R.I.P.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 13:39
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Colin Vearncombe (Black) died yesterday a week after a car accident. He was 53. R.I.P.

Wonderful Life and Coming Up Roses were great songs, he had a beautiful voice . RIP 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 21:21
Though not prog, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane/Starship has passed away. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 21:36
Aw jeez, Paul.   A San Francisco cultural fixture.   Rest well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 07:24
Never known a time like this.  It seems like every day one of our favourites (musicians, actors etc etc) passes on.

My own father passed away over Christmas and since then it's just been unbelievable.  I guess we have to expect more of the same too.  The members of those bands that started late 60s/early 70s will now be getting fairly old, so I think this is will be commonplace from now.  It's very sad of course, but we have to try and celebrate just how much they have done.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 07:59
^ Yes I agree, strange how they all seem to be occurring together.  Condolences on your father.

Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Grateful Dead and others where in that psych/folk/rock era that had an influential impact going forward.  RIP Paul.  
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:27
Stop....stop....stop - too much, too many.  RIP all - too much, too many.  I'm afraid to turn on the computer these days 'cause there's just too much, too many. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 16:50
Sorry to hear about your father, Roj.

Paul Kantner is a big personal loss for me, Jefferson Airplane have always meant a great deal to me. After the initial excitement of landmark 1967 album `Surrealistic Pillow’ with their two big hits `Somebody to Love’ and the mind-bending `White Rabbit’, I discovered their third album `After Bathing at Baxters’, such a tour-de-force acid-rock album bursting with experimental ideas and challenging song-structures a world away from their easier early works (it’s staggering to think they both came in the same year). It still sounds like nothing else, a band more or less committing commercial suicide to challenge their listeners and themselves (and it STILL has its critics that dismiss it as a tuneless jamming mess), and it remains a benchmark of psychedelic/acid music to this day.

I also have a great personal fondness for Jefferson Airplane's charming folkier/acoustic/pop-rock debut album `Takes Off’, and Paul gets a great lead-vocal on `Let Me In’, love the cheeky and not so subtle sexually suggestive lyrics too!

R.I.P, Paul, thanks for some great music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 16:54
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

It's very sad of course, but we have to try and celebrate just how much they have done.

Absolutely--  let us appreciate those that have given us, and themselves, so much joy.   You don't know what you have until it's gone.   No more true than right now.   In fact in celebration of the now, let's recognize the beauty all musicians bring to the world in our time as well as in the past.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 20:35
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/entertainment/maurice-white-earth-wind-fire-dies-feat/index.html

This year is getting worse and worse for musicians we have lost. For me this one hurts a lot! Cry. I grew up with EW&F, they were my entrance in a way to progressive rock. Their music, musicianship, production everything was brilliant.
Maurice had been suffering with Parkinsons for many years, prevented him from touring the past 10-15yrs.

RIP Mr White and thank you for such magical music.. 

Edited by Catcher10 - February 04 2016 at 20:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 21:48
Maurice Clap -   Rest well my brother.   EW&F were the best.

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:21

EWF were the proggiest of soulsters.....RIP Mo.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 119>