Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 03:07
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Atomic Rooster – Nice N Greasy (man, I never paid attention to how perverted the alt. cover was for this one – and it’s so obvious! )

Som Nosso de Cada Dia – Snegs
And I thought the regular cover was bad LOL

Catchy band name, how's the music?

Yesterday:
Quarteto 1111 - s/t
Kari Ikonen Trio - Bright
Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba
Sounds of New Soma - Moebius
Kikagaku Moyo - s/t
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 03:41
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Atomic Rooster – Nice N Greasy (man, I never paid attention to how perverted the alt. cover was for this one – and it’s so obvious! )

Som Nosso de Cada Dia – Snegs
And I thought the regular cover was bad LOL

Catchy band name, how's the music?

Yesterday:
Quarteto 1111 - s/t
Kari Ikonen Trio - Bright
Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba
Sounds of New Soma - Moebius
Kikagaku Moyo - s/t

Yeah, if anything the `dirty' cover is far more interesting! It's not a classic Rooster album, but still plenty enjoyable, definitely a lot bluesier and groovier.

That `Snegs' album I'll get a review written up of soon, I picked up the CD reissue recently, another blind-buy. Not too far off a band like The Storm, or Casa das Maquinas (ie more of an adventurous rock band than a full blown prog band), but they use a heap of keyboards with a really dirty heavy sound! Probably the songs aren't massively memorable, but it all sounds great on the surface. Have a listen if you have the time and see what you think, mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GeW30Sdcw
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 10:20
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Eagles - Hotel California
Bubu - Resplandor
Sea Level - Sea Level
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 13:53
Eberhard Weber, Fred Braceful, Jimmy Jackson, Mal Waldron - The Call
Albert Ayler Trio - Spiritual Unity
Rayuela - Rayuela
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 22:17
Harry Belafonte - Calypso
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Hadal Sherpa - Hadal Sherpa
Zu - Jhator
Aurora - Aurora
Trace - Birds
Mad Fellaz - Mad Fellaz
Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando,...Pessoas Vivas
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Jukka Tolonen - The Hook
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 03:06
^ How does that Trace album fares compared to their debut?

What did you think of Hadal Sherpa? It's on our charts but I didn't listen to it yet.

Always glad to see one of my absolute favourites being played here Approve

Yesterday:
Som Nosso de Cada Dia – Snegs (I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, Michael. Great stuff!)
Black Mountain - In The Future
Soft Machine - Fifth
Dungen - Häxan (First listen. This was recorded last year!? It mostly sounds like an unreleased 60's Floyd soundtrack. It's too bad some songs seem undeveloped and the worst one is the longest.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 10:02

^ How does that Trace album fares compared to their debut?

What did you think of Hadal Sherpa? It's on our charts but I didn't listen to it yet.

Hard to say... I actually haven't listened to Trace's debut yet! But Birds is very strong, energetic, and mostly instrumental symphonic prog with a heavy focus on keyboards. Sort of like an uplifting take on ELP, if you will.

Hadal Sherpa is awesome! One of the better albums I've heard this year. Very energetic music with lots going on, but very light on its feet and doesn't get too heavy or bogged down. At times it actually makes me think of a post-rock take on Maneige, with plenty of exotic harmonies thrown in. There are a couple of moments where it actually sounds like surf rock, but I'm totally into that so it's a lot of fun the whole way through.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 11:17
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
Eloy - The Vision, The Sword & The Pyre: Part 1
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream

First two in the car with the Mrs. Others are my choice since I got home. Not sure about the new Eloy but the Morse album is one of his best.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 14:04

Dungen - Häxan (First listen. This was recorded last year!? It mostly sounds like an unreleased 60's Floyd soundtrack. It's too bad some songs seem undeveloped and the worst one is the longest.)

Wow, sounds like something I would really like (the unreleased 60's Floyd soundtrack, not the "undeveloped songs" part). Need to listen to it. Smile

Don Cherry - Eternal Rhytm
Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
Eberhard Schoener - Meditation
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Cabaret Voltaire - Mix-Up
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 03:13
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Hard to say... I actually haven't listened to Trace's debut yet! But Birds is very strong, energetic, and mostly instrumental symphonic prog with a heavy focus on keyboards. Sort of like an uplifting take on ELP, if you will.

Hadal Sherpa is awesome! One of the better albums I've heard this year. Very energetic music with lots going on, but very light on its feet and doesn't get too heavy or bogged down. At times it actually makes me think of a post-rock take on Maneige, with plenty of exotic harmonies thrown in. There are a couple of moments where it actually sounds like surf rock, but I'm totally into that so it's a lot of fun the whole way through.
That's pretty much how I'd describe the debut, such joyful music. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

Oh, that good? I'm very curious to hear it now.

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Wow, sounds like something I would really like (the unreleased 60's Floyd soundtrack, not the "undeveloped songs" part). Need to listen to it. Smile
Of course it's an initial opinion, I might start finding its flaws appealing Tongue Here's a live performance of it I very much enjoyed, it's a trip back in time Cool

Yesterday:
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti (I'll take this sophisticated Pop over the new SWilson.)
Snakes Alive - s/t (A very nice 70's Australian Jazz Rock obscurity, quite accessible too.)
Yuri Gagarin - At the Center of All Infinity (It just confirmed how better they sound in the studio than live, although I'd blame the sound technician that made them sound like a Metal band.)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 12:36
Focus - Hocus Pocus Box [13CD]

Working my way through the box in order. Currently playing Focus Con Proby
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 12:44
Campo Di Marte - S/T
Sloche - J'Un Oeil
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 13:04
Dungen - Häxan (It really does sound like a lost Atom Heart Mother-era Pink Floyd soundtrack. Some moments don't really resonate with me for no logical reason, but it's a great, great album nonetheless. Smile)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty
Pharoah Sanders - Deaf Dumb Blind (Summun Bukmun Umyun)
Soft Machine - Drop
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:17
Today I actually listened to... no music at all, surprisingly. Definitely a change of pace from the 8-12 albums a day I've been doing for most of the past two weeks! Ironically enough, I can blame that on my bike ride earlier today to go to a record store. The route that I would normally take was blocked off (don't get me started on the road construction around here right now...) so I took a detour, went down a few steep hills that I didn't want to bike back up again, and long story short I ended up doing a 3 hour circuit along the city's waterfront - all while never actually reaching the record store I set out to visit. LOL

Pesky "staying in shape" and "fresh air" always getting in the way of listening... Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 03:24
^ Sounds like a day well spent to me Smile

Dungen - Häxan (It really does sound like a lost Atom Heart Mother-era Pink Floyd soundtrack. Some moments don't really resonate with me for no logical reason, but it's a great, great album nonetheless. Smile)
I had More in mind when I heard it, being also a soundtrack and a mixed bag of songs. I learned to appreciate More so why not this one? I have the CD so I'll certainly keep trying. I think their previous album, Allas Sak, is more consistent though and it reminds me of Caravan sometimes Wink

Yesterday:
Pulsar - Strands of the Future
Hadal Sherpa - s/t (Fantastic album, Kevin! AOTY material right there.)
Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il-ludere
Blåkulla - s/t (The cover sure gives the wrong impression about the album, I bet some metalheads were disappointed.)
Salada de Frutas - Se Cá Nevasse...
Tangerine Dream - Exit

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 08:21

Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il-ludere
Blåkulla - s/t (The cover sure gives the wrong impression about the album, I bet some metalheads were disappointed.)
Salada de Frutas - Se Cá Nevasse...
Tangerine Dream - Exit

I'll be ordering the last Il Tempio in the next day or so, mate, looking forward to hearing it.

`Exit' is great, what a shame it's so short, though! Might give it a listen at work next!

Did you like the Blakulla album, mate? I've always enjoyed it a heap.

Last few nights:

Atomic Rooster – Nice n Greasy
Som Nosso de Cada Dia - Snegs
Ryan Adams – Cold Roses (just an amazing double album)
Ryan Adams – Prisoner
Izvir – s/t
Goblin – Roller
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Twenty Sixty-Six And Then – Reflections On the Future
Van der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts
Ozric Tentacles – Spirals in Hyperspace
The Storm – s/t
The Storm – Ei dia de la Tormenta
Eloy - Metromania

Porcupine Tree – The Incident (I swear to GOD, the chorus of `Drawing the Line’ must be the most excruciating and try-hard moment ever on a P.Tree disc, just a humiliating teen-angst emo moment from a forty-plus Wilson)

Harald Grosskopf – Synthesist (Sam or Tymon, do either of you know if Harald’s second album from 1985 `Oceanheart’ is also decent? Just noticed a reissue of it came out and wasn’t sure whether to catch up on it.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 11:17

I'll be ordering the last Il Tempio in the next day or so, mate, looking forward to hearing it.

`Exit' is great, what a shame it's so short, though! Might give it a listen at work next!  

Did you like the Blakulla album, mate? I've always enjoyed it a heap. 

Porcupine Tree – The Incident (I swear to GOD, the chorus of `Drawing the Line’ must be the most excruciating and try-hard moment ever on a P.Tree disc, just a humiliating teen-angst emo moment from a forty-plus Wilson)

Harald Grosskopf – Synthesist (Sam or Tymon, do either of you know if Harald’s second album from 1985 `Oceanheart’ is also decent? Just noticed a reissue of it came out and wasn’t sure whether to catch up on it.)
I'll have to order it as well, on CD this time. I've been enjoying it more with each listen.

I think "Exit" has a perfect lenght, they'd probably put a filler track otherwise. I don't know why I didn't notice the Prog Disco track on it before Tongue By the way, I got Force Majeure and Tangram the other day. I officially have more TD than PF in my collection Cool

I enjoyed it very much too, it has that uplifting quality, similar to the early Yes albums.

When I think about that album I first remember the line "Your unpleasant family smashed up my car" DeadLOL

I only have and know Synthesist. Maybe ask Michael B, he'll probably know it.

Just one today:
Né Ladeiras - Alhur/Sonho Azul (Her voice is becoming one of my favourites Approve)
Oh, and I heard a special program about Prog from Québec on a local radio station Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 13:40

Dungen - Häxan (It really does sound like a lost Atom Heart Mother-era Pink Floyd soundtrack. Some moments don't really resonate with me for no logical reason, but it's a great, great album nonetheless. Smile)
I had More in mind when I heard it, being also a soundtrack and a mixed bag of songs. I learned to appreciate More so why not this one? I have the CD so I'll certainly keep trying. I think their previous album, Allas Sak, is more consistent though and it reminds me of Caravan sometimes Wink
Cool! Personally, I liked More the first time I listened to it, but then again I'm a fan of almost everything Pink Floyd 1968-1970. Big smile I'll make sure to listen to Allas Sak, too, thanks! Smile

And, Michael, no, I've never heard this Harald Grosskopf record, but the reviews of it on both PA and Rateyourmusic seem quite good considering it's a Berlin school-related release from 1986! Smile

Three albums for the last day of my summer holidays:
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Egg - Egg
Soft Machine - Drop

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 31 2017 at 13:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 14:56
Hawkwind - Hawkwind LP
Sea Train - Sea Train CD
High Tide - Sea Shanties LP
Tangerine Dream - Lost in Strings Volume 1  2CD
Bow Wow - Signal Fire CD
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 12:24
The Black Wizards - What the Fuzz!
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor
Nazca Space Fox - s/t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 528>