Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 13:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm also trying to learn a bit more about the aged spirits.  Slowly moving away from beer because the carbonation bothers me. 

For a few bucks more you can get into another realm of drink, vodkas, rums, etc.  Most noticeable in the bourbon field where you can find whiskey with flavor profiles as deep and diverse as good wine.  Smoky, caramel, chocolate, spiced, sweet, peppery, even bacon I'm told, they're all there, lots of different characters. 

Perhaps someday I'll open the Prog Bartenders Unite thread. 

Bourbon, in its various forms, is a drink I have yet to try, then as I have grown older I have found that my taste for whisky has waned considerably while my predilection for rum, vodka and especially gin remains unchanged. 

This christmas I made eggnog for the first time. I originally thought this to be a Dutch invention by way of the American colonies but wikipedia suggests that it is another olde English recipe, possibly from East Anglia. However, given the close ties between that low-lying region of England and The Netherlands and their mutual love of windmills and dykes I suspect either claim could be correct, if not both. Anyway, technically I made a drink called "Tom and Jerry" (thus named after the titular characters in Pierce Egan's Life in London, or The Day and Night Scenes of Jerry Hawthorn Esq. and his Elegant Friend Corinthian Tom), since I served it hot and dusted with nutmeg. Having lived so long without tasting this rum enriched milky wonder before is a serious error on my part. I blame my parents*.

* I have this motto on a button-badge that I wear on the lapel of my jacket. When you're 58 years old and look as I do, it's good to have an excuse.
What?
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 13:45
This goes especially for Dean. Wink

In 1922, the young Army Air Force Lt. Eduardo Gomes was involved in a series of revolutionary activities being hurt exactly in his lower abdomen and (according to the legend) 'losing entirely any possibility to generate a progeny of his own', which was never officially confirmed 

Later, in 1945, then Air Brigadier (Brigadeiro) Eduardo Gomes ran for the Presidency of the Republic and was initially the favorite. At the same time, a dessert made with chocolate with no eggs on it became very popular.

The association between the dessert and the brigadier was swift: "Give me that dessert without eggs! Which one? The brigadeiro... " Nuke

Eduardo Gomes lost the election! BTW, he remained a single man for his entire life.

Guigo

~~~~~~
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 14:17
LOLLOLLOL Very funny explanation of that sweet's name (though not funny at all for the poor guy involved)! Incidentally, very similar sweets to  brigadeiros can also be found in Italy, though I am not sure they are made exactly with the same ingredients. Though I haven't had them in many, many years, I do remember they are flavoured with rum (and quite a bit of it too).
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 19:23
Tried making some new things for the season.
Over Thanksgiving we made Gruyere gougeres, pumpkin and pecarino macaroni and cheese, and chocolate mousse pie with scratch crust.
Settled on using Gruyere cheese simply because of the tongue-twister element. LOL

Also smoked a turkey and a couple of Cornish game hens over the season. So delicious. Thumbs Up

Made my sister a 3-tiered chocolate cake for her birthday on Christmas Eve. Didn't look so pretty when done, so I'm not gonna show it off. LOL But at least it tasted very good.

Then, last night we decided to throw together some pretzels for the hell of it. Didn't get to make the beer mustard I wanted, going to have to do that next time.

Edited by *frinspar* - January 03 2015 at 19:26
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 19:38
I make good sandwiches
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 21:03
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

A few years ago I bought a bread machine, which turned to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Though it is a shortcut if compared to bread made completely by hand, it is an invaluable tool when you don't have a lot of time, and it does make all kinds of wonderful bread. For New Year's Day I made a loaf of cheese bread, which smelled heavenly when baking, and tasted even better.

Love the cheesebread, we used to have a wonderful bakery that made it daily--  Raff have you ever done other breads )like mushroom, etc)?   Gots'ta get me one of them bread makers.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 21:05
 ^^^ Incredible, Frin

Edited by Atavachron - January 03 2015 at 21:06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 06:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

A few years ago I bought a bread machine, which turned to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Though it is a shortcut if compared to bread made completely by hand, it is an invaluable tool when you don't have a lot of time, and it does make all kinds of wonderful bread. For New Year's Day I made a loaf of cheese bread, which smelled heavenly when baking, and tasted even better.

Love the cheesebread, we used to have a wonderful bakery that made it daily--  Raff have you ever done other breads )like mushroom, etc)?   Gots'ta get me one of them bread makers.

I haven't yet tried making bread with cooked veggies, but I definitely will! Some of my favourite additions (besides cheese) are nuts and dried fruits, and once I tried a recipe for yeasted banana bread with walnuts. Though the loaf did not rise a lot, the result was delicious. With these machines you can make wonderful artisan bread every day, all the while saving a lot of money, and exercising your creativity.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:51
Boots the Chemist (a popular UK pharmacy chain) used to sell all-day breakfast sandwiches made with baked bean bread - basically a full English breakfast in bread that tastes like a tin of Heinz baked beans. I've  tried replicating this audacious loaf at home with limited results, substituting the water in the basic bread recipe for the juice from a tin of beans and the drained beans for an equal weight of dry ingredients (mainly the seeds and whole grains but also a little of the flour). The resulting bread looks right, and has an intense golden orange colour but the flavour is lacking the desired sweet tomato-y hit. Adding some chopped sun-dried tomatoes improves things a little but that deviates too far from the ultimate aim. I read somewhere that one of the key sweet ingredients of tinned baked beans is pineapple juice, so perhaps I should try that sometime.

Bread made with sun-dried tomatoes and a good handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano however is wondrous. As is bread made with a good strong cheddar and some sautéed red chilli. I generally used a mix of white and wholemeal flour as this produces a healthy-looking bread that retains some of the lightness of wholly white bread - I've also added other non-wheat flours such as corn, rice and potato. Recently I purchased a bag of gram flour for my foray into Indian cuisine (its made from ground chickpeas) so will have to give that a go sometime.

I've experimented a lot with replacing the water and/or milk in bread recipes with other liquids - beer works well, especially with walnuts and dates. Using a malty beverage such as Horlicks or Ovaltine produces an interesting bread.

Spiced fruit bread made with orange juice is excellent and substituting the ubiquitous mixed peel for dried apricots lifts it even further - painting the cooked loaf with a thin mix of sugar and milk while it is still hot makes a lovely sticky finger-licking glaze - great with homemade butter and marmalade.

I think I've probably mentioned this before, but using the breadmaker to make pizza dough produces a terrific elastic dough that is ideal for my favourite calzone folded pizzas - great for using up the leftovers at the back of the 'fridge - odd pieces of cured meats, thinly sliced fennel bulb, red onion, cherry tomatoes, sliced mushroom, slivers of green or red chilli, bell-peppers and the like, covered with generous spoonfuls of passata (or better still - pesto) and mozzarella before folding and sealing. Dust the top with grated parmesan and bung it in the oven. Calzone is the ultimate pizza for me as it retains its heat from beginning to end (not a fan of cold pizza).

I also use the breadmaker to make croissants - though they still require a lot of work laminating the butter once the basic dough has been made.

Some cakes are also very good when made in the machine - namely Gingerbread, Parkin and Marmalade cake, the latter made with some of my sister-in-law's excellent whiskey marmalade was rather fine. These cakes require melting a lot of butter with sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan before adding it to the machine with the flour, milk, eggs and spices.

The only complaint I have about the machine is the paddle - I wish I could remove or retract it before the bread starts baking. Sometimes I will remove the proved dough from the machine and finish the cooking in a conventional oven but most of the time that's just too much faffing about and defeats the object of using the breadmaker. [due to a teenage motorcycle accident I don't have sufficient movement in my wrist to properly knead dough so rely on the machine to do that for me].

Edited by Dean - January 04 2015 at 08:08
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm also trying to learn a bit more about the aged spirits.  Slowly moving away from beer because the carbonation bothers me. 

For a few bucks more you can get into another realm of drink, vodkas, rums, etc.  Most noticeable in the bourbon field where you can find whiskey with flavor profiles as deep and diverse as good wine.  Smoky, caramel, chocolate, spiced, sweet, peppery, even bacon I'm told, they're all there, lots of different characters. 

Perhaps someday I'll open the Prog Bartenders Unite thread. 

Bourbon, in its various forms, is a drink I have yet to try, then as I have grown older I have found that my taste for whisky has waned considerably while my predilection for rum, vodka and especially gin remains unchanged. 

This christmas I made eggnog for the first time. I originally thought this to be a Dutch invention by way of the American colonies but wikipedia suggests that it is another olde English recipe, possibly from East Anglia. However, given the close ties between that low-lying region of England and The Netherlands and their mutual love of windmills and dykes I suspect either claim could be correct, if not both. Anyway, technically I made a drink called "Tom and Jerry" (thus named after the titular characters in Pierce Egan's Life in London, or The Day and Night Scenes of Jerry Hawthorn Esq. and his Elegant Friend Corinthian Tom), since I served it hot and dusted with nutmeg. Having lived so long without tasting this rum enriched milky wonder before is a serious error on my part. I blame my parents*.

* I have this motto on a button-badge that I wear on the lapel of my jacket. When you're 58 years old and look as I do, it's good to have an excuse.

When it comes to Rum and Gin, would you have any brands you love enough to recommend by name? 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:33

When it comes to Rum and Gin, would you have any brands you love enough to recommend by name? 
Easy...

I like dark rums that are not spiced, Sailor Jerry is not for me, I prefer rums that gain their spiciness from the oak barrels they are stored in.

Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum - a mid-priced rich dark rum that just needs the slightest hint of coke and a twist of lime to make a more sophisticated Cuba Libre than the typical Barcardi and Coke. 

And Bombay Sapphire gin - a delicate hit of botanicals that also benefits from being frugal with the mixer - I prefer Fever Tree tonic for the ultimate G&T as it the quinine is not as overpowering as it is in cheaper tonics (such as Schhh... you know who).

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:37
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Tried making some new things for the season.
Over Thanksgiving we made Gruyere gougeres, pumpkin and pecarino macaroni and cheese, and chocolate mousse pie with scratch crust.
Settled on using Gruyere cheese simply because of the tongue-twister element. LOL

Mmmm - never heard of gougeres before but they look damn tempting. I presume it's some kind of savoury choux pastry?
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:01
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

This goes especially for Dean. Wink

In 1922, the young Army Air Force Lt. Eduardo Gomes was involved in a series of revolutionary activities being hurt exactly in his lower abdomen and (according to the legend) 'losing entirely any possibility to generate a progeny of his own', which was never officially confirmed 

Later, in 1945, then Air Brigadier (Brigadeiro) Eduardo Gomes ran for the Presidency of the Republic and was initially the favorite. At the same time, a dessert made with chocolate with no eggs on it became very popular.

The association between the dessert and the brigadier was swift: "Give me that dessert without eggs! Which one? The brigadeiro... " Nuke

Eduardo Gomes lost the election! BTW, he remained a single man for his entire life.

The Brazilian cookbook I pinched the recipe from gives an alternative version of the story - however since they claim they were created by his wife I suspect it is in the wrong - which is not totally surprising as the recipes in the books seem to be simple variants on European dishes rather than authentic Brazilian fare. (The book is produced by the owners of a Brazilian Restaurant in London, which coincidentally happens to be on the site of a demolished MOD office block where I worked in the 80s). 

On reflection I think I should have bought D.O.M. by Alex Atala but to be honest his skill as a chef is a little too daunting for the home-cook. 

As well as the brigadeiro's I have also cooked a bolo de banana (Banana upside-down cake) from the book and it was delicious (picture on Facebook). Waiting for the warmer weather to arrive before attempting the savoury dishes.

Continuing the Brazilian and the rum themes - I've just acquired a bottle of Cachaça and intend to make Caipirinha's ... since these are similar to rum Daiquiri's I'm curious to see what flavour the cachaça adds.

Edited by Dean - January 04 2015 at 09:04
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:03
Noted, thank you Dean. I'm going to put those on my list, though I'm a slow drinker, pretty much just weekends.  I didn't ask for a Vodka pick since I've been happy enough with Reyka, a small batch vodka from Iceland with a bit more personality than most.  But feel free to suggest one if you have a fave.

If you decide to try your hand with Bourbon ever, this is the nicest one I've found so far, though I'm still a relative novice with bourbons.  It has some spice and bite to it, but still way smooth enough to drink with just a splash of your favorite mix.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:33
Well, the chat of yesterday lit a fire under me and I dove into some scratch bread.  Best results yet.  I started with Gram's vague recipe but added just a touch of coconut flour and brown sugar, and a bit less white sugar, for a different twist on the sweetness.  Was patient enough this time to let it rise twice and the dough was just drop dead beautiful, light, very nice.  Biggest challenge for me is knowing how long to bake.  I've had times where the outside has been brown but the inside doughy.  I've had other times when it didn't brown much but was overbaked.  I tried googling for direction, and of course every baker under the sun has their own temperature and time recommendation. 

Turned out well.  A hearty white bread with much character thanks to the lard, just a tiny touch of sweetness, and a nice crust.  There is an awesome locally made butter that is so flavorful compared to store butters.  That is the crown on top of a bread like this. 

Bringing Mom and my Godmom their loaves today, despite the fact the windchill is 30 below out there.  Bread doesn't wait. 

Edited by Finnforest - January 04 2015 at 10:01

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:38
I often add honey to my bread instead of sugar (I hardly ever use white sugar anyway), and the results are excellent! My fat of choice is (not surprisingly) extra-virgin olive oil, though I occasionally use butter too. I have also tried replacing part of the water with beer, milk and eggs - the latter two with very good results, while beer has proved a bit more temperamental. Wine, on the other hand, makes for an excellent addition, and does not interfere with the rising at all.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:42
For the caipirinha I suggest to make it with lime instead of the more traditional lemon.

Guigo

~~~~~~
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:04
mmm honey, thanks Raff.  Do you think the amount of honey would equal the white sugar amount in the recipe?  Is it an even steven substitution? 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:11

mmm honey, thanks Raff.  Do you think the amount of honey would equal the white sugar amount in the recipe?  Is it an even steven substitution? 

I generally pour a smallish quantity of honey (a tablespoon or so) directly from the bottle into the water, which goes at the bottom of the bread machine. If you make bread by hand, you should remember that honey is a liquid, and that it is sweeter than sugar, so you should adjust the ingredients you use accordingly.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:24

I often add honey to my bread instead of sugar (I hardly ever use white sugar anyway), and the results are excellent! My fat of choice is (not surprisingly) extra-virgin olive oil, though I occasionally use butter too. I have also tried replacing part of the water with beer, milk and eggs - the latter two with very good results, while beer has proved a bit more temperamental. Wine, on the other hand, makes for an excellent addition, and does not interfere with the rising at all.
I tend to skimp on both the sugar and the salt when making bread - can't exclude them completely but no harm is done to the loaf by cutting back the amount of each a little. When I first started making bread I was a little shocked by the quantity of sugar and salt in the recipes - an ex-colleague of mine bakes bread (and makes ice-cream) without salt or sugar and claims it doesn't affect the taste at all - however I suspect his taste buds are probably broken.

Ah, yes - perhaps I should have said ale rather than beer - American and European beers (lagers) are too gaseous for breadmaking - I usually use Pale or Amber Ale as the more hoppy brews and stouts are too bitter for bread - if the beer is a still a bit lively I allow it to go flat before using it. Wine is something I've not considered before, I suspect too much tannin in the wine would also produce a bitter bread, though that said I've used black tea, this is common in traditional tea bread recipes (which are cakes rather than breads) and leavened fruit breads such as barmbrack or bara brith.

I was surprised by the difference in crumb switching from butter to EVOO, it seems to make the bread more chewy too, which is not a bad thing of course, in fact in all Italian breads I've tasted it's decidedly a good thing. However, I prefer my domestic sandwich bread to be short so tend to use butter just add a splash of EVOO for the flavour. Unless I'm making focaccia of course which just has to be made with EVOO (dough cycle of the breadmaker - then remove and cook in the oven with even more oil, sprigs of rosemary and far too much sea salt to be healthy - a drool-worthy bake)

Egg enriched milk is tried and tested and well suited to the long, slow "Artisan" cycle on the breadmaker I have.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 156>