Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 01:16
Nothing is overrated, just one thing being more popular than the other
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^It's ok ....he's just  sore because The Graf have lost so many polls lately.
LOL

What'd VDGG get, like 1 victory out of 6 polls?
As far as I know he has done his Crimson terror for years here (I think he quite recently said he has written very negative review from in the court of, really haven´t read it and I will not). But not really my problem, if he like to be the idiot of this place, just keep going on.

there's no need for name calling, no matter how much you dislike his comments. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 05:44
^I don´t think he´s idiot, it´s just that Crimson obsession of his that´s idiot behavior.
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 06:57
I love Jethro Tull but still I think they are a bit overrated. ELP I don't really listen to that much other than 4-5 tracks. So if I had to vote I'd vote for ELP but realistically I believe that JT should get half the point I'd give to ELP.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 11:23
^why you think JT is overrated? I don´t think it is at all.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 13:29
As I've said numerous times before. I don't think overrated is an actual thing. Thee argument is usually like this: "my opinion as a prog guy matters more than the majority so the subject's overrated". I don't get it. Over...rated? Like... the rating is too high? By what kinda standard? Is there a factually provable standard that says something's overrated? Is it judged by the IQ of the raters?
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 11:10
I don't like x. So if lots of other peeps like x then x is overrated compared to y whom I like a lot.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 12:32
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Never understood what was so great about JT, nor why they should be included as a Tier 1 prog band.

Same here. I mean I respect the musicianship, but they just remain an enigma for me.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 13:44
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

As I've said numerous times before. I don't think overrated is an actual thing. Thee argument is usually like this: "my opinion as a prog guy matters more than the majority so the subject's overrated". I don't get it. Over...rated? Like... the rating is too high? By what kinda standard? Is there a factually provable standard that says something's overrated? Is it judged by the IQ of the raters?

Bear in mind that listeners of progressive rock do not consider popularity to be a criterion for the quality of music. Otherwise, they would be listening to artists such as Taylor Swift rather than progressive rock. And if popularity isn't a criterion for the quality of music in general, why would it be a criterion for the quality of progressive rock itself? Without this objective metric, what else is there apart from subjective opinion for assessing the quality of a piece of music? Of course, we all have our opinions about what we like and what we don't like, and what is wrong with that? And if that opinion doesn't match the popular view, then we are entitled to the view that the music is overrated or underrated, because as progressive rock listeners, we do not respect the popular view.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 14:11
Here's my order from most over rated to least:

Pink Floyd
Rush (not listed)
Genesis (mainly for the pop era)
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
ELP
Yes

I put ELP near the bottom because I feel they are unfairly maligned by most prog fans these days. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 01 2018 at 14:13
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 16:25
Rush gets slammed a lot, too. Definitely not overrated.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 17:09
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush gets slammed a lot, too. Definitely not overrated.

I suppose it depends on what we mean by over rated or under rated. Rush has tons of fans outside of prog circles especially compared to other bands which is why I rank them just under PF. They are one of my favorite bands but I don't think they are over rated in the grand scheme of things just compared to other prog bands.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 18:14
All of them
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 20:39
I can't understand the hatred for ELP

1. They release  a very good debut, better than Yes, Genesis, JT.
  2. They dared to play Pictures at an Exhibition in front of guys who didn't even knew who Mussorgsky was and succeeded.
  3. Their next two albums are top for any Prog listener,
That's enough for a great career.

They split for some years and never were the same, but that's a common problem

genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:37
KING CRIMSON I have no doubts, with the exception of their first album, a masterpiece, then they were a sort of prog cliche, with some good or excelent things but not enough to be a prog gods. I know many will desagree with my opinion, but just my taste. King Crimson is just Fripp, and Fripp music (IMO) has not feeling, is cold and technical (with some exceptions as Starless for example).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:50
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

KING CRIMSON I have no doubts, with the exception of their first album, a masterpiece, then they were a sort of prog cliche, with some good or excelent things but not enough to be a prog gods. I know many will desagree with my opinion, but just my taste. King Crimson is just Fripp, and Fripp music (IMO) has not feeling, is cold and technical (with some exceptions as Starless for example).

I completely disagree! What an absurd thing to say that Fripp is ‘unfeeling, cold, and technical’. I guess Fripp's solo in The Night Watch, for example, from Starless and Bible Black is straight from the refrigerator? Disapprove Also, the comment about them being a ‘prog cliche’ is laughable. It’s like you’ve never even heard a King Crimson past In the Court of the Crimson King. King Crimson are more than ‘just Fripp’. They’re whoever is in the band at the time as they’re a collective of musicians who listen to each other not just follow Fripp who actually, in many cases, takes a backseat and lets Wetton, Cross, Belew, Bruford, et. al. do their thing.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 01 2018 at 23:56
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 22:15
I said...it is just my opinion...nobody needs to agree. I dont think my comment about the coldness of Fripp music is absurd. I have several albums of KC and i know what i was saying. They have good things but for me they are overrated. You are right about Wetton Brufford etc musicianship...Fripp LETS them to improvise..you said the word...First album was different maybe because McDonald i dont really know but i can feel a deep thing there that i cant find after it (with some exceptions of course). Anyway it is just my opinion..a subjective one not a truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 23:15
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

I said...it is just my opinion...nobody needs to agree. I dont think my comment about the coldness of Fripp music is absurd. I have several albums of KC and i know what i was saying. They have good things but for me they are overrated. You are right about Wetton Brufford etc musicianship...Fripp LETS them to improvise..you said the word...First album was different maybe because McDonald i dont really know but i can feel a deep thing there that i cant find after it (with some exceptions of course). Anyway it is just my opinion..a subjective one not a truth.

Well, I understand it was your opinion and you need to understand that I disagreed with it. There is no way any of us can offer an objective opinion here as our personal preferences will permeate our thoughts regardless. The thing about King Crimson is they changed styles often and what was heard on In the Court of the Crimson King is something that they weren’t preoccupied with capturing again, because they’ve already done that kind of album, so any band worth their salt will continue to grow and expand. As to whether we’ll like it, is a different matter completely.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 23:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I can't understand the hatred for ELP

1. They release  a very good debut, better than Yes, Genesis, JT.
  2. They dared to play Pictures at an Exhibition in front of guys who didn't even knew who Mussorgsky was and succeeded.
  3. Their next two albums are top for any Prog listener,
That's enough for a great career.

They split for some years and never were the same, but that's a common problem
I don´t hate ELP, as I don´t hate any music (well maybe some of today´s electro) but here´s my opinions about your three sentences:

1. I think first Yes & Jethro albums are better than first ELP. Like also more first Genesis, but can´t said it better than first ELP

2. I was really disappointed, when understood they really left much out from the original, great Pictures at an Exhibition. I don´t believe Tuiluries, Bydlo, Ballet of Unhatched Chicks, Samuel Goldenberg & Scmuyle, the Market Place at Limoges & the Catacombs are so compilicated, that they couldn´t have played them also, if they just wanted. But what they did they did great way, it´s my favourite ELP-album, I think they should have named it "Excerpts from Pictures at Exhibition".

4. Their next two albums are really not top of mine, Trilogy is ok, also Brain Salad has some great moments, but also really lot quite awful music.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 23:30
^^Those King Crimson opinions is sounding to made from a guy who hasn´t really listened Crimson. Sounding more of that there is something in Fripp as a person that irritates. Have to say I am not interested any band that someone is thinking they´re "Gods of it". I could think Dream Theater guys would think themselves prog gods.

Again, I am not saying everybody has to like King Crimson, but it´s sad when these "Overrated"-threads people are saying their opinions just their subjective views, not even trying to make some objectivity in them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 23>