Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 11:45
Rick Wakeman's Live Chronology

4 stars 1991: Rick Wakeman - Classical Connection Concert - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtSLpNYWTM0Ei8o2xcUl5pv

It's Bach to basics for The Classical Connection in 1991. Can you Handel it? This is the first of Rick Wakeman's classical concerts to coincide with the release of the album of the same name. The 1990's were an incredibly Bizet time for Rick with the release of over thirty albums and Wakey's classical albums are well-worth adding to my CD Chopin Liszt the next time I head Orff into Nottingham. Smile

00:29 - Merlin the Magician 05:58 - Anecdote Time! 08:58 - After the Ball 12:14 - Summertime 18:20 - Sea Horses 24:31 - Anecdote Time 2! 27:06 - Eleanor Rigby 35:28 - 1984

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 09:09
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 14:16

4 stars1995: Rick Wakeman - Almost Live in Europe - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lu1-7pgOxSbweM2_S6mf12E

A few words from Rick about the recording of the album:-

"This was recorded in Italy with a very strange line-up of the English Rock Ensemble with no guitar players. The tour was a disaster and badly organised and I had the crew from hell out with me as well which just about took the biscuit!! When I finally got to hear the tapes they were really not acceptable so I dragged some of the guys back in and we re-did quite a lot and added guitar as well, hence the title: "Almost Live in Europe"".

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 09:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 15:18

5 stars 2000: Rick Wakeman - The Legend: Live in Concert - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv5F2C4JuRQ_ZfJ5NLmh8JV

The title says it all really. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 08:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 00:40

5 stars 2001: Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble - Out of the Blue -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvUIDQj7h_JtDONA6ii3q6h

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 08:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 09:14

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 10:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 23:14

5 stars 2003: Rick Wakeman and the New English Rock Ensemble -  Out There - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lu4u9ia3dmybR8-wrmo8Psl

Out There: a spectacular sci-fi concept album dedicated to the ill-fated crew aboard the Space Shuttle Colombia "who slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God." Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 01 2022 at 23:15
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2022 at 07:43
I wonder who I have in the #1 spot?

The Prog Corner
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2022 at 10:31
^ Thanks for your entertaining keyboard countdown. I wouldn't change any of the names on your list, except perhaps  a worthy mention for Robert John Godfrey of The Enid. Thumbs Up

These are the big names I already knew of in your Top 25 of keyboard maestros:-

24. Patrick Moraz (of YES and The Moody Blues and the music trial of the century!)
21. Dave Greenslade (of Greenslade, obviously)
20. Peter Bardens (of Camel)
19. Dave Stewart (not the Eurythmics guy)
17. Gary Brooker (of Procol Harum)
14. Ton Scherpenzeel (surprisingly!)
13. Jordan Rudess (of Dream Theater)
12. Ken Hensley (of Uriah Heep)
11. Neal Morse (of Spock's Beard)
09. Eddie Jobson (of Roxy Music)
08. Vangelis (of Aphrodites Child a long long time ago)
06. Richard Wright (of Pink Floyd)
04. Jon Lord (of Deep Purple)
03. Tony Banks (of Genesis)
02. Keith Emerson (of ELP)
01. Rick Wakeman (a worthy win for the grumpy old rock star!) Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 02 2022 at 10:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 00:16

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 12:17

5 stars 2005: Rick Wakeman - Made in Cuba - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvBJxpsC0TS5M5hjGwDQ77s

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 04 2022 at 09:10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 14:20
The full list from above , I've added a few comments

25. Billy Ritchie (Clouds I think, early pioneering keyboard lead band?)
24. Patrick Moraz (of YES and The Moody Blues)
23. Mike Ratledge (Soft Machine)
22. Andy Tillison (The Tangent , great shout!)
21. Dave Greenslade (of Greenslade, and Colosseum)
20. Peter Bardens (of Camel)
19. Dave Stewart (not the Eurythmics guy but Egg)
18. Hugh Banton - (VDGG)
17. Gary Brooker (of Procol Harum)
16. Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree)
15. Mark Kelly (Marillion)
14. Ton Scherpenzeel (Kayak and Camel briefly)
13. Jordan Rudess (of Dream Theater)
12. Ken Hensley (of Uriah Heep)
11. Neal Morse (of Spock's Beard)
10. Kit Watkins (that one's got me stumped , looked it up and he was in Happy The Man)
09. Eddie Jobson (of Roxy Music, UK and Curved Air briefly)
08. Vangelis (of Aphrodites Child a long long time ago.. and Socrates)
07. Kerry Livgren (Kansas)
06. Richard Wright (of Pink Floyd)
05. Kerry Minnear (Gentle Giant)
04. Jon Lord (of Deep Purple)
03. Tony Banks (of Genesis)
02. Keith Emerson (of ELP and The Nice)
01. Rick Wakeman (will never be ahead of Keith Emerson anytime anywhere in my book)

but actually a really good list although Jurgen Fritz, Fred Schendel, Tony Kaye et al may disagree

Edited by richardh - August 07 2022 at 00:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 14:53
^ Thanks for completing MiamiScot's Top 25 line-up of keyboard players. The only name I know from the three you mentioned at the bottom of the list is Tony Kaye of YES, who I remember from the amazing Union tour in 1991 when Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye were together on stage in an 8-piece YES line-up for the first and last time. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 03 2022 at 14:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:08

3 stars 2007: Rick Wakeman - The Other Side of Rick Wakeman - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LunTqHqOPFqvJ1tKTQm9PB8

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 04 2022 at 09:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 01:01

3 stars 2008: Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Picture Show - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtrOtFD60vDJIriV7ImGcSN

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 05 2022 at 01:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 13:21

What better venue could there possibly be for the performance of the majestic Six Wives of Henry VIII than the opulent splendour of Hampton Court Palace where the 16th century court of Henry VIII meets the 21st century world of Prog-Rock and The Four Wives of Rick Wakeman! Approve

5 stars 2009: Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII: Live at Hampton Court Palace - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvLMJHWVmnKUdWjAdkGtnh-

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2022 at 10:38
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 23:42
^ I managed to be on that one, thanks to a very lucky coincidence, for the concert was programmed just when I was planning some holidays to Europe... I just had to make sure I was in London at the time of the concert, and so I was. I even got my copy of the concert 30 minutes after it was done, they recorded it and burned it right there and then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 23:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I managed to be on that one, thanks to a very lucky coincidence, for the concert was programmed just when I was planning some holidays to Europe... I just had to make sure I was in London at the time of the concert, and so I was. I even got my copy of the concert 30 minutes after it was done, they recorded it and burned it right there and then.

30 minutes! That has to be the fastest recording from concert to disc to purchase ever! Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 00:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Thanks for completing MiamiScot's Top 25 line-up of keyboard players. The only name I know from the three you mentioned at the bottom of the list is Tony Kaye of YES, who I remember from the amazing Union tour in 1991 when Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye were together on stage in an 8-piece YES line-up for the first and last time. Thumbs Up

I've never seen Tony Kaye pay live although I've seen Yes about 6 times.

Jurgen Fritz was in German trio Triumvirat. Their Illusions On Double Dimple album rivals the best of Rick Wakeman and ELP. I think you would like them but probably Spartacus is the one that may appeal to you. It includes vocals from Barry Palmer who later worked with Mike Oldfield on the Discovery album. 
Fred Schendel is in the US band Glass Hammer. I like them a lot and he is one of the best modern players. I think you would enjoy some of their music but maybe not everything. If is the highest rated on this site and has Jon Davison on vocals (now of Yes).  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 00:43
Just realised that I somehow got Mike Ratledge mixed up with Mike Pinder . Now fixed!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 05:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just realised that I somehow got Mike Ratledge mixed up with Mike Pinder . Now fixed!
At least I know who Mike Ratledge is now. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>