Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 10:20
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I met Julie Benz on a press junket for Rambo ... she was the first person in the profession I ever photographed.
I was nervous and did a crap job :)

Within days I bought proper pro gear and learned how to use it ...as a direct result of that experience
I'm not too familiar with her work but it was very cool that you met her.
In my construction career I worked many times at various studios but never met anyone.
[/QUOTE]

she was more famous for being on Dexter than anything else
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 10:55
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I met Julie Benz on a press junket for Rambo ... she was the first person in the profession I ever photographed.
I was nervous and did a crap job :)

Within days I bought proper pro gear and learned how to use it ...as a direct result of that experience
I'm not too familiar with her work but it was very cool that you met her.
In my construction career I worked many times at various studios but never met anyone.

she was more famous for being on Dexter than anything else
[/QUOTE]
I honestly never made that connection until your reply.
I have over a hundred seasons of TV shows on DVD, including all of the seasons of Dexter, but I didn't start collecting shows until about five years ago. By then the Rambo movie (2008) was not fresh in my mind.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 17:26
John Wick

Fast moving revenge flick with non stop action (once it starts)
The fight scenes were well done - Keanu knows his stuff.

no deep thinking here - just pure escapism.

not a spoiler .. there is quick flash of a guy reading a book at one point. The Book is Shibumi (by the same author of The Eiger Sanction)
I could see this being a Keanu Reeves vehicle in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Walton Street - February 07 2015 at 17:29

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 08:38
Without Love ..

A Hepburn/Tracy vehicle that was supposed to be a comedy - it didn't have a lot of laughs but was still entertaining.
Had a beautiful young Lucille Ball and a very young Keenan Wynn as well.

- SpongeBob Socrates
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 09:35
Speaking about Julie Benz , she's been on a  tv show called Defiance for the last 2 years or so....decent sci-fi set on earth in a future time.
Defiance (2013) Poster

Edited by dr wu23 - February 08 2015 at 09:37
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Speaking about Julie Benz , she's been on a  tv show called Defiance for the last 2 years or so....decent sci-fi set on earth in a future time.
Defiance (2013) Poster

i think that's done up here in Canada..
She was also in another short lived series - something to do with a super family .

Didn't care for either series very much.
She's done far more in TV than in films - and Dexter was surely her strongest work so far that i've seen

- SpongeBob Socrates
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 23:31
The Guest - love it man! over the top homage flick:  7.5/10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 01:10
A Five Star Life

Italian production following a woman whose job it is to sample Europe's luxury hotels and report back to her employer; an aspect they should've played up, but instead we mostly get her personal problems rather than the much more interesting world of high-end lodgings and the life of a professional "mystery guest".

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 06:55
Cowboys and Aliens

First time since the theatrical release - this time I watched the extended version.

I cant put my finger on what was added but I definitely was left with the impression that the pace was slower - which is a good thing. The first time I saw it - I found it to be fun but forgettable - this time it felt like there was a little more substance. 

Great cast, hokey, fun, lots of action. A good Saturday afternoon oater, with that extra-terrestrial twist.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 03:57
Annabelle

Marginally effective prequel to The Conjuring builds in suspense but only after a lot of ground is covered in the mundane life of a doll-collecting woman whose husband buys her the vintage figure of a little girl.   Annabelle does make an effort with a quality production and some decent chills but it shows how hard it is to make a really good horror picture.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 10:09
The Negotiator

By the numbers - corruption in the police force -  'thriller' made barely palatable by a few watchable actors.
No surprises ... flaccid reveals ..

Brutally unoriginal and marginally interesting.

Edited by Walton Street - February 10 2015 at 10:10

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 06:56
For Your Eyes Only

Back to Bond ..  I skipped over Moonraker - just wasn't in the mood for the worst.
I'm not enjoying the Roger Moore Bonds this go around.
I don't put the blame on him - I blame whoever thought slapstick humor would be a good idea.

Eyes Only is a love hate experience for me. There is a good film in there somewhere but i's marred by the worst score in the history of Bond (god awful no-name disco) and some pathetic attempts at humor in the opening and closing sequences.

It had it's good points .. I love the acknowledgement of Bond's departed wife at the beginning - before it devolved into an idiotic sequence with Blofeld. I thought it was interesting that - for the first time - the singer of the opening theme was seen in the title sequences (Sheena Easton).
Locque was an interesting villain, although they could have done a lot more with him..
I love Lynn-Holly Johnston's energy - cute as hell ... 
And there is an oddly haunting keyboard music during the ski jump sequence that weirds me out every time.

But that disco score - it makes most of the film unbearable and the attempts at humor were juvenile.

I think I liked it more when it came out but it aged horribly.

Bond has always been closely linked with Playboy - and both made a business of reflecting the 'hip culture' of the times.  Depending when the films were made really do dictate if they are still watchable or not.
Some of our pop culture eras weathered better than others.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:21
I actually think part of the fault does lie with Moore - he was not a natural comedic actor. All the quips, ad-libs and other comic touches that Connery added to the character (such as the off-the-cuff puns and fiddling with Qs toys) were often unscripted, so now had to be written into the script for him. I think the slap-stick elements were a direct result of the script-writers having to add comedy into the script to make up for Moore's lack of natural comedy.

Edited by Dean - February 11 2015 at 07:22
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:48
Like I said previously in this thread: Except for the more (relatively speaking) realistic entries in the series like From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Daniel Craig's tenure as the character, I don't "get" James Bond. There's some kind of generational gap or cultural clash I'm on the wrong side of.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I actually think part of the fault does lie with Moore - he was not a natural comedic actor. All the quips, ad-libs and other comic touches that Connery added to the character (such as the off-the-cuff puns and fiddling with Qs toys) were often unscripted, so now had to be written into the script for him. I think the slap-stick elements were a direct result of the script-writers having to add comedy into the script to make up for Moore's lack of natural comedy.

The lines he had were horrid ... but he did do a great eyebrow raise, and some funny expressions..

There wasn't a great deal of comedy in the Connery films
I just watched all of them and Connery showed more of a sardonic wit than anything - mostly played it serious.

I'm a little protective of Moore - he was my first Bond ... but I agree that he was more suave than blunt instrument as Bond should have been.

Craig is making them all look bad .. but I have to admit - I really liked Lazenby .. I wish he'd done more. He was an interesting cat.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 07:58
I'd definitely have preferred him stay in the character than Roger Moore to take over.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 12:33
The Tarzan yell in "Ocotpussy" is what made me finally understand, even at my young age, that that was not the James Bond my dad wanted to share with me, even though he made sure to take me to every Bond release. Guess he knew that someday I'd pick up on what was missing with Moore. Dad was so excited to take me to see "Never Say Never Again" later that year with his original favorite in the lead again. Boy, he sure didn't expect to be bitten twice by the same crappy character twice in one year. LOL

But, it all worked out in the end. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 12:38
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

The Tarzan yell in "Ocotpussy" is what made me finally understand, even at my young age, that that was not the James Bond my dad wanted to share with me, even though he made sure to take me to every Bond release. Guess he knew that someday I'd pick up on what was missing with Moore. Dad was so excited to take me to see "Never Say Never Again" later that year with his original favorite in the lead again. Boy, he sure didn't expect to be bitten twice by the same crappy character twice in one year. LOL

But, it all worked out in the end. Smile

I thought Never Say Never Again was great fun,
I just don't understand why they remade a film Connery was just in ...
Brandauer was one of the finest Bond villains of all time, and Kim Basinger was delicious.

and - yes - absolutely - re that stupid Tarzan yell.

Edited by Walton Street - February 11 2015 at 12:38

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 12:41
Best thing to come out of Roger Moore's tenure as 007 was his role in The Cannonball Run. I watched that one and Smokey and the Bandit over and over on VHS as a kid. It probably says a lot about me that I like Burt Reynolds car chase movies more than James Bond...
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Best thing to come out of Roger Moore's tenure as 007 was his role in The Cannonball Run. I watched that one and Smokey and the Bandit over and over on VHS as a kid. It probably says a lot about me that I like Burt Reynolds car chase movies more than James Bond...

When I got an iPod Touch several years back, I debated about which of my favorite cheesy movies to permanently keep on it. It came down to Gremlins 2 and Cannonball Run. Cannonball Run won out. Moore's style translated perfectly to that genre. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 216>