FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmerican Politics the 2016 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 146>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 13:31
I do not forfeit my right to complain

And so I say to you Goldman Sachs, I am on your side. Do not pay attention to the noise of the political season, I will always remember your support and put your priorities first, above all else. Thank you.’ Hillary Clinton

Seems to me the nation and its people should be put first above all else. 

Edited by timothy leary - May 05 2016 at 15:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 13:50
^LOL

Well.....Hiliary is first and foremost a politician like her husband was and I don't expect her to do anything to upset the apple cart should she get elected. It will be more of the same. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 14:03
^A "more of the same" every adult should prefer to "possible and very likely complete apocalyptic cataclysm" with Donald Trump 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 14:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^A "more of the same" every adult should prefer to "possible and very likely complete apocalyptic cataclysm" with Donald Trump 

It strikes me that it is the "more of the same" that is turning people towards the likes of Trump.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 14:21
Coincidentally on that matter I just finished reading a short little article which basically says everything I think on the subject of Sanders voters and the new situation right now.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I am a Clinton fan and will vote for her with great enthusiasm.  If you vote for no one, you forfeit all right to complain if you don't like anything that happens during the next four years. That includes any distressing musician deaths and disappointing concerts.  Just so you are warned.

On the contrary, non-voters should blame voters for bringing about such things! After all, they are the ones who chose to impose upon everyone else the next 4 years. As for musicians they should just stop getting old.

PS today is Karl Marx's birthday!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 07:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It strikes me that it is the "more of the same" that is turning people towards the likes of Trump.

perhaps.. but perhaps not the way you see it.

don't mistake a few here that really seem to care about where Hillary gets her money from...for the gen pop.. most of us know and accept that money and wall street drive business, drive politics. It is not going to change. Not short of blood and political revolution. When the people that benefit make the rules, the voter has NO say in breaking the cycle of money and influence in politics. No term limits, no campaign finance reform. Never going to happen. So either you accept it or forfeit your right (and responsibility) to vote in protest when candidates like Hillary.. don't meet one's approval due to her ties to Wall Street.

The simple truth as I see it. We as Americans don't care if our politictians are paupers or piss in gold plated urinals.  For 30 plus years the American voter has cared about one thing.. even over their own financial well beings..

do you really think THAT drives Trump and his supporters.. no this does..

to quote from Teo's article...

the Republican party's relentless pandering to bigots and resentful regressives who see their country changing and can't handle it created the Frankenstein monster that is Donald Trump.

More and the same is the victory of social liberization in this country over the social conservatism.  Since Reagan elections have not been about your checkbook they have been about the culture war that has waged in the country.

more of the same. It is the path they fight a losing battle against.  You got that right... equality for all Americans. Regardles if you are a f**king Muslim, Hispanic, gay, women or whatever. This country is no longer an Ozzie and Harriet male dominated WASP dominated society. Why do you think there is so much hatred against Hillary. A 20 year war against her (and Bill) by the right.

They scare the regressive elements of this country. A large aspect of this country has never accepted the changes in this country.. and still fight against it.

Edited by micky - May 06 2016 at 07:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 10:43
Baloney sandwich, picking the lesser of two clowns is not being true to yourself. You say it is not going to change. The reality is everything changes.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:09
"Being true to yourself" so that's what matters. Not that the whole country can go down in flames. Purely narcissistic reasons of voting in one or another way (something I have already said about some Bernie voters).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:15
and I'll believe it when I see it... which well...perhaps this election is the heralding of a new age of us in politics.

It is not unheard of. Parties shift and realign. We saw the destruction of the old Democratic party and the rise of the GOP...  I think it has been the back of all our minds that this election could be the straw that broke the back of the bigotted, out of touch, behind the times, and obstructionist GOP. The way the rats appear to jumping the sinking ship is sure a large sign that moderates.. yes they still exist in the party.. no longer see this party as theirs and yes.. find that today's Democratic party is more more aligned to their notions of moderate stands on social issues and yet economic consevatism.  Today's GOP has given up any pretext of caring about governing.. on the eocnomy and is all about ruling.. dictating.. their base of bigots and regressives on social issues.

change? It wasn't going to be Bernie who was the vehicle for change. He was too old, too eastern, not even a Democrat, and thus unelectable and I think most Democrats knew that in their hearts. But waiting in the wings... perhaps the one who will... who can bring together moderate (pragmatic) Democrats and liberal (idealistic) Democrats.

we shall see..

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/2016-elizabeth-warren-trump-us-senate-elections-democrats-politics-progressives-213874

Edited by micky - May 06 2016 at 11:16
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:43

"Being true to yourself" so that's what matters. Not that the whole country can go down in flames. Purely narcissistic reasons of voting in one or another way (something I have already said about some Bernie voters).
Okay, fair enough, you pick your clown from a standpoint of fear. I will sit this one out.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:57
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Okay, fair enough, you pick your clown from a standpoint of fear. I will sit this one out.

And from all of us - women, minorities, the LGBTQ community, Muslims and immigrants - who will be so much worse off if the "purists" sit it out and Trump gets elected: a great big thank you in advance. Your selfishness will mean that many will suffer. If you can live with that you must have a stone for a heart.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:05
well said. ClapHeart
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:17
It is bad enough that there really are people who claim that there is no difference between Trump and Clinton (no difference, really?  what planet do you live on?), but what makes it even worse is the insufferable air of self-congratulation with which they pat themselves on the back for the purity of their motives.  A child of two has more justification for throwing a tantrum over not being able to reach a toy than someone has for pouting because Clinton hasn't pandered sufficiently to their delicate egos.

I am tired of couching my feelings in tactful language. From now on, anyone that takes this line will hear from me, at great length and without restraint.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:20
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

And from all of us - women, minorities, the LGBTQ community, Muslims and immigrants - who will be so much worse off if the "purists" sit it out and Trump gets elected: a great big thank you in advance. Your selfishness will mean that many will suffer. If you can live with that you must have a stone for a heart.

indeed "sitting this one out" can only help the Elephant's Trump to win it.... if thousands like Leary do that, it's really not a favour to our planet

We've got enough idiots like the North korean clown, Putin, Bachar, the Saudis, the Ayatollah and that Erdogan turkey as it is (not to mention the Polish and Hungarians idiots in office)... One more of them will unsettle this dangerously the already too-endangered equilibrium we're in. This toupéed idiot will drive a global war, if he gets in the oval office  (then I will only have to support a US military coup to remove him)

Fortunately I think common sense will prevail, and most Unitedstatians will not agree with this buffoon representing them (and actually I believe the Democrat donkeys are laughing all the way to the oval office)

If common sense prevails (and everyone goes voting), this could be THE most lopsided victory (a bit like Chirac won against LePen in 2002 in France with over 80% - when it usually is between 47 and 53%). I can't believe no one in the GOP has realized this, yet

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:24
^ I think they have realized it, but are busy trying to look calm in public.  The GOP is about to go down in flames, but no one wants to be the one to point out that the emperor is in fact stark naked, with very bad hair.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:26
I hate both candidates but will vote Clinton if only for the Supreme Court, it's too important, between elections I'll still push my left leaning agenda until those candidates are no longer available.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I hate both candidates but will vote Clinton if only for the Supreme Court, it's too important, between elections I'll still push my left leaning agenda until those candidates are no longer available.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your rationality.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:32
One thing is sure: Americans have lost the right to criticize and/or make fun of Italy for electing Berlusconi. As bad as Berlusconi was for my country's image, finances and general political and social climate, he did not wield the power or influence the president of the US does. I can tell you that, when I was in Rome last month, people were seriously worried about a possible Trump presidency.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:35
^ The rest of the world should be worried.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 146>