Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:36
Rick Wakeman's Live Chronology

4 stars 2010: Rick Wakeman - Classical Wakeman: Live in Lugano - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Luey1j4PeTm_oWZFaD79t7s

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2022 at 10:39
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 08:04

5 stars 2017: Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble - Live at Starmus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvH5AfvS6GFOLkOVVY25idE

Rick's final live album to date: Live at the Starmus festival of music and astronomy on the island of Tenerife with special guest Brian May (but you knew that already anyway). Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2022 at 10:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:40

5 stars 1974: Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtEQI0AHVt-bA8kiI7PzDD2
5 stars 1975: Rick Wakeman - Live at the Empire Pool, Wembley: King Arthur on Ice - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvKmTio-XAjWqR5mj5iGwID
4 stars 1976: Rick Wakeman - Live at the Maltings, Farnham - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvcL_8Yny_oJ-CcJn7BMhMe
4 stars 1980: Rick Wakeman - Live 1980: Swedish Television Special - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsdDrXK6QACUrQoFPEABHN9
4 stars 1981: Rick Wakeman - 1984 - Live at the Hammersmith Odeon - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv_KbReg0ChkRrjTwNrm90y
4 stars 1983: Rick Wakeman - Night Music: Live at Pebble Mill Studios, Birmingham -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lush*tlPxK7Fa3SjduStGr2
4 stars 1988: Rick Wakeman - The Word and the Gospels - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvRntLkqT7ztMe2PpWQ36hP
5 stars 1990: Rick Wakeman - Access All Areas: Live in Nottingham - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsjuWHjXiQZSzEQveaOSEvC
4 stars 1991: Rick Wakeman - Classical Connection Concert - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtSLpNYWTM0Ei8o2xcUl5pv
4 stars 1995: Rick Wakeman - Almost Live in Europe - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lu1-7pgOxSbweM2_S6mf12E
5 stars 2000: Rick Wakeman - The Legend: Live in Concert - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv5F2C4JuRQ_ZfJ5NLmh8JV
5 stars 2001: Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble - Out of the Blue -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvUIDQj7h_JtDONA6ii3q6h
5 stars 2003: Rick Wakeman and the New English Rock Ensemble -  Out There - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lu4u9ia3dmybR8-wrmo8Psl
3 stars 2007: Rick Wakeman - The Other Side of Rick Wakeman - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LunTqHqOPFqvJ1tKTQm9PB8
3 stars 2008: Rick Wakeman - The Grumpy Old Picture Show - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtrOtFD60vDJIriV7ImGcSN
5 stars 2009: Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII: Live at Hampton Court Palace - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvLMJHWVmnKUdWjAdkGtnh-
4 stars 2010: Rick Wakeman - Classical Wakeman: Live in Lugano - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Luey1j4PeTm_oWZFaD79t7s
5 stars 2017: Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble - Live at Starmus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvH5AfvS6GFOLkOVVY25idE

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2022 at 10:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:40
What's the score?

Having catalogued all of Rick Wakeman's 22 Live albums, it's time to have another listen to Rick's back catalogue of soundtrack albums, starting with Lisztomania (1975), but also including the score for the official film of the 1982 World Cup..... G'oooooOOOOOLE!!!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2022 at 11:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 23:57
Rick Wakeman's Soundtrack Collection

A good album, but The REAL Lisztomania (2002) is even better! Thumbs Up

Rick's verdict on the album:-

"This album stinks! At the time I was having a huge run in with A&M records and their hierarchy would do anything possible to try and disrupt what I was trying to do. It was not an easy time. I delivered the finished soundtrack album and it was immediately thrown back in my face and a deal was done directly with the film company to take the tapes and do what they wanted with them, which was a complete disaster in my eyes. The album flopped dismally and I was furious because it was my name on the front cover. Unless you're a serious collector, don't waste your money."

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 03:00
Well that's an honest opinion!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 03:16
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well that's an honest opinion!

The funny thing is, I rated Lisztomania much higher than Rick did himself. I would gladly "waste my money" on the album. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 08:26

White Rock: Rick's soundtrack for the documentary film of the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

Worth buying just for the title track alone!  I'll be for the ski jump if I don't give this album at least a 4-star rating. Thumbs Up

"In many ways another album ahead of its time, mainly due to the tremendous foresight of the late Michael Samuelson who produced the film of the Winter Olympics in 1976 and decided that he was fed up with hearing orchestral music or brass band music on sports films and that it was time for rock and roll to make an entry. By telling me this was what he wanted he gave me the opportunity to pave the way for all sports films from that day on, and all television sport, to look at music differently. The percussion on this album is outstanding. Remember there were no boxes of tricks in those days. What you hear is what was played. All credit to Tony Fernandez."

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 09 2022 at 04:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 10:58

The Burning: a controversial shock-horror slasher movie with a suitably dramatic and creepy soundtrack from Rick, where the soundtrack is better than the not-so-hot movie. Dead

Rick's lukewarm verdict on The Burning.....

"This is an album of two sides. One side is actually great analogue stuff of arrangements of music taken from the film and the other side is...well, not so hot! Always difficult to produce soundtrack albums as you're trying to please so many people and it's never possible really. It's the only album I used the Prophet 10 keyboard on and so I like it purely for that reason! One for the collectors - but not really anybody else!!"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:38
^The Burning is worth it for the "prog" side! A very good OST.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

"This album stinks! At the time I was having a huge run in with A&M records and their hierarchy would do anything possible to try and disrupt what I was trying to do. It was not an easy time. I delivered the finished soundtrack album and it was immediately thrown back in my face and a deal was done directly with the film company to take the tapes and do what they wanted with them, which was a complete disaster in my eyes. The album flopped dismally and I was furious because it was my name on the front cover. Unless you're a serious collector, don't waste your money."

The story about Rick's involvement (cameo) in the film is even funnier! Ken Russell made him play "Thor" with the Marvel Comics look. Rick was spray-painted gold daily (a real pain washing all that off in the shower). His mum was so proud Ricky was going to be IN the movie, that she told her all her friends about it.

Then came the scene where Rick, er, exposes himself. And that was that. LOL

Edited by verslibre - August 08 2022 at 15:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 13:44
^ I wish I could find the clip of Rick's cameo in Lisztomania, although on second thoughts, maybe it's a good thing I can't. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 14:54

Rick scores a winning G'ole with his soundtrack for the official film of the 1982 World Cup. Clap

Rick's verdict from the commentary box.....

"Another soundtrack album and not bad as soundtrack albums go. It's a shame DVD wasn't about at the time as it would have made a nice sporting DVD release. It was always a pleasure to work with Mike Samuelson the producer and Tony Maylam the director. It was recorded in the worst studio I have ever worked in in my life. For collector's only!"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 08 2022 at 15:10
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:50
^Own/like this, too!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:51

^ I wish I could find the clip of Rick's cameo in Lisztomania, although on second thoughts, maybe it's a good thing I can't. Tongue

That's right. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 16:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Own/like this, too!

You must be a serious collector then - according to Rick - if you're lucky enough to own a copy of the G'ole album. Thumbs Up

The only Rick Wakeman soundtrack I currently have on CD is White Rock, but I'd like to own G'ole and either The Phantom of the Opera (much better than Lloyd Webber's version!) or The Real Lisztomania too, to make it a hat trick! Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 16:13

I have an original VHS tape of Lisztomania as well as a DVD-R version that I think was ripped from laser disc.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 17:41

^Own/like this, too!

You must be a serious collector then - according to Rick - if you're lucky enough to own a copy of the G'ole album. Thumbs Up

The only Rick Wakeman soundtrack I currently have on CD is White Rock, but I'd like to own G'ole and either The Phantom of the Opera (much better than Lloyd Webber's version!) or The Real Lisztomania too, to make it a hat trick! Smile

I have the 2006 Music Fusion reissue, printed in the UK! It shouldn't be hard to find.

Rick Wakeman – G'Olé! - The Official Film Of The 1982 World Cup - The Original Film Soundtrack (2006, CD) - Discogs
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 21:53

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1rem; color: rgb33, 37, 41; font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, "Noto Sans", "Liberation Sans", sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Noto Color Emoji"; font-size: 16px;">"This album stinks! At the time I was having a huge run in with A&M records and their hierarchy would do anything possible to try and disrupt what I was trying to do. It was not an easy time. I delivered the finished soundtrack album and it was immediately thrown back in my face and a deal was done directly with the film company to take the tapes and do what they wanted with them, which was a complete disaster in my eyes. The album flopped dismally and I was furious because it was my name on the front cover. Unless you're a serious collector, don't waste your money."

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1rem; color: rgb33, 37, 41; font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, "Noto Sans", "Liberation Sans", sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Noto Color Emoji"; font-size: 16px;">The story about Rick's involvement (cameo) in the film is even funnier! Ken Russell made him play "Thor" with the Marvel Comics look. Rick was spray-painted gold daily (a real pain washing all that off in the shower). His mum was so proud Ricky was going to be IN the movie, that she told her all her friends about it.

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1rem; color: rgb33, 37, 41; font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, "Segoe UI", Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, "Noto Sans", "Liberation Sans", sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Noto Color Emoji"; font-size: 16px;">Then came the scene where Rick, er, exposes himself. And that was that. LOL

What I remember about his involvement in the movie relating to spray painted gold was that at some point after filming he went to have a drink at a bar still with the spary... and it happened to be a gay bar or something like that.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 21:56

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I managed to be on that one, thanks to a very lucky coincidence, for the concert was programmed just when I was planning some holidays to Europe... I just had to make sure I was in London at the time of the concert, and so I was. I even got my copy of the concert 30 minutes after it was done, they recorded it and burned it right there and then.

30 minutes! That has to be the fastest recording from concert to disc to purchase ever! Thumbs Up

And it really sounds great... makes me wonder why bands would take months to release a live album. I think there was a sort of trend at the time of giving recordings in the moment at the time... I remember something about some Yes tour a bit later in which they were giving (or selling, or whatever) recordings of the concert in USB memories. I sort of remember they were not the only ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>