Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 92>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 14:36
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Sad to this thread so far down, I shall revive it!
LOL

Is that a subtle hint? Wink

Thanks. Smile
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 15:08
Perhaps.....Tongue
I do believe in fair and balanced so you know we can't have the atheist thread running this show alone!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 15:14

Perhaps.....Tongue
I do believe in fair and balanced so you know we can't have the atheist thread running this show alone!

Like Fox News? Right?

Right?

Wink
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 15:25
Back in business, I see. Wink
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 16:00
Now let's discuss atheism...Tongue
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 16:04
LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Now let's discuss atheism...Tongue

Hey...be my guest.  I suppose it's due.  Embarrassed

LOL
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:13
A question I hope some scholarly folk maybe able to answer:

We all know that the Romans documented their history pretty well at the time of the life of Jesus Christ.  It is also said that most historians believe Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist.

However, is there any mention of Christianity and Jesus in any of their primary sources from around the time?

I realise this was going on in a different area but the Romans occupied the Hellenes and Turkey.  I would have thought they would have mentioned this supposedly divine guy named Jesus in their writings?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:15
Originally posted by James James wrote:

We all know that the Romans documented their history pretty well at the time of the life of Jesus Christ.  It is also said that most historians believe Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist.

However, is there any mention of Christianity and Jesus in any of their primary sources from around the time?

I realise this was going on in a different area but the Romans occupied the Hellenes and Turkey.  I would have thought they would have mentioned this supposedly divine guy named Jesus in their writings?

I may be wrong, I'm no expert...
But I thought the Roman Empire DID have a listing for Jesus Christ, and all it said was he was executed at age 33 for being an enemy of the state.
Though that does prove the man Jesus Christ DID exist

Edited by JJLehto - June 20 2009 at 17:16
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:16

I may be wrong, I'm no expert...
But I thought the Roman Empire DID have a listing for Jesus Christ, and all it said was he was executed at age 33 for being an enemy of the state.

Oh, that's interesting.  Could you mayhaps find a source for this?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:17
Sadly, I learned that from school, but I will try to find a source for sure, since I am interested.
However, this prof WAS pretty legit so I trusted him.
But yea, I'll look into it

Edited by JJLehto - June 20 2009 at 17:18
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:19

Realize that to the Romans, Jesus was relatively unimportant.  Also, to most Romans (there were a few exceptions early on), Jesus wasn't a "divine guy."  Pilate only had him crucified to appease the local population.

We do, however, have the insightful writings of Josephus, a Roman citizen, who not only made several mentions of Jesus, but also is a reliable source regarding the destruction of Jerusalem and Judaic culture at the time.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:22

Josephus (a Romanised Jewish historian... I need to read some of his work in the original sometime) mentioned him more than once, I'm pretty sure.

Ah right, Rob2 has it covered.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:24
Since some of you are more educated on the matter, can someone tell me if this is correct.

My freshman year history teacher told us the Roman Empire did have a file, (I guess is the word) on Jesus Christ that said he was executed at the age of 33, for being an enemy of the state.

Anyone verify if this is true?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:25
Ah but surely some guy who called walk on water, convert water into wine and other such "miracles" would be noticed by Romans, whether he was favoured or not?

So a guy who could do all that was relatively unimportant? LOL

Sings Shania Twain's "You Don't Impress Me Much" Wink

Henceforth, I think he was just some dude.  Nothing divine about him.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:33

Ah but surely some guy who called walk on water, convert water into wine and other such "miracles" would be noticed by Romans, whether he was favoured or not?

You forget that in the ancient world, such acts were not seen as so...out of the ordinary.  I mean come on- you're telling me the ancient Romans were geniuses in matters of modern science?  They had their own mythologies and legends with just as much bizarre occurrences taking place.  Also, the Old Testament is full of people raising the dead, healing the sick, and so forth.  Jesus wasn't the only one.

Remember- to the ancient people, a "miracle" wasn't so great because of what happened, but because of why it happened (Read Matthew chapter 9 in this context).
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:34

I find it completely irrelevant.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:46
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

You forget that in the ancient world, such acts were not seen as so...out of the ordinary.  I mean come on- you're telling me the ancient Romans were geniuses in matters of modern science?  They had their own mythologies and legends with just as much bizarre occurrences taking place.  Also, the Old Testament is full of people raising the dead, healing the sick, and so forth.  Jesus wasn't the only one.

Remember- to the ancient people, a "miracle" wasn't so great because of what happened, but because of why it happened (Read Matthew chapter 9 in this context).

But those Roman myths and legends were just that.  They were also ancient and much like the Bible has done, everything has been twisted from reality.

So for someone in their current time to perform such "miracles" is just silly.  Sure, he may well have been a healer of some kind (raising the immediate dead could be possible; it is now, for instance).

We don't see these miracles by anyone now (and yes, I realise they're not this divine guy named Jesus either) and nobody saw them back then either.  People have just written fictions based on him and some of the aspects of his life, just as the Romans and the Egyptians also did (although their own Deities are probably even more fictional and less likely based on real people -- in my opinion).
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:52

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

But those Roman myths and legends were just that.  They were also ancient and much like the Bible has done, everything has been twisted from reality.

So for someone in their current time to perform such "miracles" is just silly.  Sure, he may well have been a healer of some kind (raising the immediate dead could be possible; it is now, for instance).

We don't see these miracles by anyone now (and yes, I realise they're not this divine guy named Jesus either) and nobody saw them back then either.  People have just written fictions based on him and some of the aspects of his life, just as the Romans and the Egyptians also did (although their own Deities are probably even more fictional and less likely based on real people -- in my opinion).

So you speculate.

Remember I said that most miracles can be accounted for scientifically (admittedly, I cannot account for all of them, at least not now).  That doesn't make it any less of a miracle (I've said this many times). 

Jesus also called them "signs;" a sign points to something more important.

He also said that people in his own day would witness the signs and wouldn't believe in him.  So why would I expect you (or anyone) to believe 2000 years later?

Now a question from me: Why do most people tend to focus on Jesus' miracles and not on what he said (which I think for our discussion is more important since he himself did not consider them that important).  Suppose for the sake of argument we ignore miracles and talk about his teachings.  What of Jesus then?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 17:56
I don't think he wrote anything, personally.  Therefore what he told us was never put into writing.  What you read as his, was not his words at all.

That's how I see it anyhow.

And no, I have no proof and neither do you. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 92>