Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 09:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Best album I found in the 1€ bin ;) I definitely should get more from them. Made in Japan is amazing too!

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How are you getting on with jazz bar the rock part of the equation Samuel? I spot two albums there that fit the description. 
I have those two for almost three years and I very much enjoy them. The reissues are not very good though so I listened to them as background music while reading

Yesterday:
Franz Ferdinand - Live in Paris 2017
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
Steve Hauschildt - Strands (Very good indeed!)
Agusa - s/t (It's lovely but I liked the live album more, it's more dynamic.)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (Awesome as always.)
Peter Baumann - Repeat Repeat (Numan meets Moroder meets Schlager :P)
Hawkwind - Levitation

I have heard quite a few mention how they favour the old releases over the reissues especially in jazz. Then again there are thousands of 50s-60s-70s jazz recordings on which there is nothing to improve on imo. Crystal clear, warm, earthy almost wood-like in texture. I don't know those two albums of yours though but should be right down my alley.

Strands is my recent go-to album before I turn in. Helps me relax.
How about those Gizzards btw? Youlikey?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 12:56
Slim Twig - A Hound at the Hem
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 19:08
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
David Sylvian - Briliiant Trees
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 20:28
Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
Jeff Beck - Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop
Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 22:02
Moe! Staiano - The Absolute Tradition of No Traditions
Dekoboko Hajime and Yamataka Eye - Nani Nani
Yasunao Tone - Yasunao Tone (Asphodel)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 03:16

I have heard quite a few mention how they favour the old releases over the reissues especially in jazz. Then again there are thousands of 50s-60s-70s jazz recordings on which there is nothing to improve on imo. Crystal clear, warm, earthy almost wood-like in texture. I don't know those two albums of yours though but should be right down my alley.

Most classic Jazz vinyl reissues in the European market are crap, just a small percentage uses the original master tapes or other similar sources. The good ones are expensive as hell, since they come from the US.

I heard Girón's debut for that purpose last night :)

I liked it, it still doesn't convince me for Psych though. I like the fact there's not a single annoying "woooooooooo" in the whole album :P

Einseinseins - ĬİĨ
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-ludere
Girón - Forest
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 21:25
Strunz & Farah - Heat of the Sun
Bruce Cockburn - Speechless
Anthony Phillips - Private Parts and Pieces
Andy Bole - Rainbow Crow
Vespero - Shum-Shir 
Allman Brothers Band - Live At Ludlow Garage
Senogul - Senogul

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 00:05
Yesterday:
King Krule - The Ooz (wow, it's excellent)
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 02:51
Alphonze Mouzon - The Essence Of Mystery
Tantra - Holocausto
Griot - Gerald
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 03:21
Hey I just got that album myself Tymon. Tis a very nice modern take on trip hop with added bits of jazz and whatnot. One of those Kool albums
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 05:00

Most classic Jazz vinyl reissues in the European market are crap, just a small percentage uses the original master tapes or other similar sources. The good ones are expensive as hell, since they come from the US.

I heard Girón's debut for that purpose last night :)

I liked it, it still doesn't convince me for Psych though. I like the fact there's not a single annoying "woooooooooo" in the whole album :P

Einseinseins - ĬİĨ
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-ludere
Girón - Forest

I don't think I've ever bought a reissued jazz album nor an LP from new. I own a lot of newer stuff though but all my old jazz LPs are stuff I've picked up second-hand. Some of the sleeves fx are in complete tatters yet the sound is great. As it should be imo although I would prefer covers in mint condition sure.

I kinda missed the woooooos - where's your sense of adventure? The woooooo is the singer's ode to rollercoasters y'know Oh well maybe their next 2017 album will be the space rock album that gets them in. I don't really care either way - I dig em just the same.

I seem to remember you mentioning how slow the year is for RPI releases, which I very much agree with, but is that ITdC album the one that changes your mind?
I've still to hear anything that even remotely approaches last year's smorgasbord.

Last night:
The Horrors - Luminous
Global Communication - 76:14
Embryo - Wiesbaden
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Bennie Maupin - Jewel In The Lotus
GAM - Eiszeit

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 08:14
Original classic Jazz editions are impossible to find here, I bet it was illegal back then Ermm

Well, I don't like rollercoasters Tongue

Not really, it won't be on my top 10 which is sad since I'm a big fan of the previous albums. I'm affraid modern Prog has a tendency to simplify, it's the 80's all over again.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 09:50

Hey I just got that album myself Tymon. Tis a very nice modern take on trip hop with added bits of jazz and whatnot. One of those Kool albums

Oh cool! Kool kids here in Lublin are loving it. My friend, who is big into post-punk and all that jazz said this might very well have become his favorite album of all time during those two months since it came out. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 11:32
Zygoat - s/t
Mort Garson - Plantasia
Ash is a Robot - Return of the Pariah
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 12:31
Zacht Automaat - As It Is Spoken, It Shall Be Done
Duster - Stratosphere
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 15:57
A very fine day.

Fishmans - 98.12.28
Walter Wanderley - Rain Forest
Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson
Jorge Ben - A Tabua De Esmeralda
Tom Ze - Estudando O Samba
Erkin Koray - Elektronik Turkuler
Ewa Demarczyk - Ewa Demarczyk Spiewa Piosenki Zygmunta Koniecznego
Mort Garson - Plantasia (hey I'm not alone)
Fabrizio de Andre - Creuza de Ma
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 17:03
The Bride Said No - Nad Sylvan
The Ravages of Time - Threshold
Red - King Crimson
Brain Salad Surgery - ELP
Live - Barclay James Harvest
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 19:10
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Zacht Automaat - As It Is Spoken, It Shall Be Done
Duster - Stratosphere

How's that Duster album? It's been sitting on my wishlist for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to acquiring it yet.

Sparrows Swarm and Sing - O'Shenandoah, Mighty Death Will Find Me
Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (studio side)
Long Fin Killie - Houdini
Morton Feldman - Piano and String Quartet

Edited by mechanicalflattery - November 30 2017 at 19:21
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 01:23
^It is phe-no-me-nal. I was blown away by it yesterday, to be honest. Love the atmosphere, the recording, the compositions, the overall warmth. Really 9/10 for me at the moment. I might give it to myself for Christmas. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2017 at 04:07

Original classic Jazz editions are impossible to find here, I bet it was illegal back then Ermm

Well, I don't like rollercoasters Tongue

Not really, it won't be on my top 10 which is sad since I'm a big fan of the previous albums. I'm affraid modern Prog has a tendency to simplify, it's the 80's all over again.

Truth be told most of my jazz collection consists of cd's. It's only recently the vinyl bug bit me in the derriere. I would love to own some newly restored old school jazz recordings on LP...but I am most definitely not dishing out 40€ a piece.

You don't like rollercoasters? I'm not entirely sure what to respond My sis is the same way although it used to be the other way around....I think I have changed the other way as I used to be a scared little kid. Nowadays I'll gladly bungeejump onto a rollercoaster. Go figure.

Modern prog eh? I share your sentiment my friend...although I find a lot of new exciting stuff, but wouldn't call it prog. Funny but I actually dig the recent 80s infatuation that seems to have seeped into every nook and cranny in the music world. I do prefer it mixed in with electronic, pop, avant or more straight ahead rock music. In prog it sounds less convincing to these ears although Kayo Dot's Coffin On Io and Plastic Base On House Of Sky both are examples of the experiment working beautifully imo.

What I don't get with A LOT of modern prog is the verse and chorus structures. Pretty much 75% of all new prog sounds like generic European Song Contest material...only in prog it is spiced up with the usual suspects: solos, synthesisers and odd time sigs. So you effectively get one part mundane radio fluff and another one that vehemently tries to pull you back into the 70s. Well at least back in those days verse and chorus didn't sound this predictable and castrated.

This scenario actually reminds me of modern action movies in that it genuinely feels as if a couple of guys came up with 50 cool solos and fun bridges....and then afterwards suddenly needed a few verses and choruses in order to bind the whole batter together...just like coming up with 50 cool action scenes and explosions without having thought of a story beforehand. It just ends up fragmented and utterly mundane imho.

Today up until now:
King Crimson - Discipline (The Sheltering Sky is one of my fave KC tunes ever. Serene and calm yet with a weird unmelodious undercurrent of guitar treatments that end up sounding otherworldly like no other in their oevre.).
The Horrors - Skying (really digging this band recently. They're not reinventing the wheel or anything of that nature, yet I couldn't care less. Great neo-psych with post-punk and electronica elements.)
Ol Dirty b*****d - N***a Please (Perhaps his druggiest and most experimental release mixing in some Motown, funk, rock and avantguarde like Demetrio Stratos behaviour only done with moans and strange breathing techniques. Title track is awesome! Love those horns.)
Now spinning Eloy's Ocean. Quite a departure from ODB (even if Klaus Peter Matziol wouldn't have sounded out of place on some of the songs)

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 01 2017 at 06:53

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 527>