Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 23:34
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^The Burning is worth it for the "prog" side! A very good OST.

My burning ambition is to eventually double the size of my Rick Wakeman CD collection, which shouldn't be too difficult as I currently only have this 5-CD box set of Rick's classic albums from the 1970's - bought from Morrisons supermarket of all places for just Ģ8. Thumbs Up

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 23:58
Rick Wakeman's Soundtrack Collection

Crimes of Passion: a Ken Russell film starring Kathleen Turner & Anthony Perkins and in which Rick has a cameo role as the wedding photographer. Smile

Rick's verdict on the soundtrack and film:-

"A very messy soundtrack is all I can really say. Certainly there is some good playing and one or two really classy tracks, but once again, like all soundtracks it suffers from cohesion in order to satisfy all the parties concerned with the film. If you like a bit of naughtiness in your films then get the DVD or video and if you don't then don't bother with the album either....unless of course you are a collector!"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 04:50

This powerful soundtrack album has No Earthly Connection with Andrew Lloyd Webber, as it was specially written for the re-release of the 1925 silent movie: The Phantom of the Opera. The album features several of the talented stalwarts from the Rick Wakeman touring ensemble, including Ashley Holt and the heavenly voice of Chrissie Hammond and with Tony Fernandez on drums. The album also features operatic tenor Ramon Remedios, making this superb soundtrack well-worth a tenner of anyone's money, but stay tuned for Rick's ultimate 5-star version of The Phantom of the Opera, released in 2017. Clap Thumbs Up Heart

Rick's verdict on the film and soundtrack:-

"This is the strangest soundtrack album ever and in many ways I think it is the best. I would certainly love to get my hands on the original film that the music was used for and do a joint package. The owners actually approached me about the idea and I said I was well up for it - and that was the last I heard from them! Try and find the film on DVD or even video. It's quite brilliant."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 07:58

Not a soundtrack album as such, but Rick's belated sequel to the original score for the 1976 Winter Olympics in The Great White North of Montreal, where it's cold enough to chip a tooth on your soup! Clown

Rick's verdict on the album:-

"When asked to write new scores for all the early Winter Olympic sports films I pieced together the best of all the music and made this album, which I personally think is a nice and genuine follow up to the original. One day I would like to enhance the original and put these two out together but the current owners of White Rock are uncommunicative and so it has about as much chance as happening as I have of ever getting married again! I think it's worth having, but that's just my opinion!!!"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 09 2022 at 08:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 08:39

This is the "Real" Lisztomania soundtrack (complete with dialogue), as it was originally intended by Rick, but rejected by A & M Records, although in all honesty, I prefer the released version from 1975 with Roger Daltrey.  Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 09 2022 at 10:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 11:53

5 stars 2017: Rick Wakeman - The Phantom of the Opera - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lt8uOgwGQazOgvPCEZ5fHIi

Can you Handel some baroque & roll, because this is the ultimate (in both senses of the word) Rick Wakeman soundtrack album! The Phantom of the Opera is Bach in this complete, unexpurgated version of Phantom Power (1990). Running at over 80 minutes long, and combining the romance of classical baroque with hard rock, this symphonic masterpiece features the gorgeous, angelic voice of Chrissie Hammond and operatic tenor Ramon Remedios. This album is simply sublime and definitely one to add to your Chopin Liszt! Clap Thumbs Up

Chrissie Hammond Heart 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 09 2022 at 11:54
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 12:14
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

3 stars 2002: Rick Wakeman - The Real Lisztomania 

This is the "Real" Lisztomania soundtrack (complete with dialogue), as it was originally intended by Rick, but rejected by A & M Records, although in all honesty, I prefer the released version from 1975 with Roger Daltrey.  Confused

I don't know the new version but I like the old one, or at least I did it the last time I listened to it quite a lot of years ago.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 12:17
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

3 stars 2002: Rick Wakeman - The Real Lisztomania 

I don't know the new version but I like the old one, or at least I did it the last time I listened to it quite a lot of years ago.

I liked the 2002 version even less when I listened to it again today, so I should stick with the original 1975 version if I were you. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2022 at 00:10

5 stars 2017: Rick Wakeman - The Phantom of the Opera - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lt8uOgwGQazOgvPCEZ5fHIi

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2022 at 00:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2022 at 03:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 07:21
Inspired by Mind_Drive's spiritual Epica tribute, I have to say I'm not a religious person, but I can appreciate spiritual music, especially when it's by Rick Wakeman. Smile

4 stars 1988: A Suite of Gods (with Ramon Remedios) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtgiI7SPaX18D2MaLYdrXcw
2 stars 1996: Orisons (with Nina Carter Wakeman) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LuqUmhMcO7v7N8RtdbD7aKS
2 stars 1996: The Word and Music (with Nina Carter Wakeman) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Ls2TTrV8MY6CTpnQzgISTKo
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 09:53
^ I enjoyed The Gospels (and have the album), but it has been ages that I have listened to it. Maybe I'm afraid to start believing again... Embarrassed

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2023 at 10:11
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ I enjoyed The Gospels (and have the album), but it has been ages that I have listened to it. Maybe I'm afraid to start believing again... Embarrassed

I've never stopped believing in Rick Wakeman, but I should give Rick's two albums with his ex-wife (Nina Carter) a miss if I were you. Wink
Gentlecamel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentlecamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 23:27
Rick Wakeman has been quite prolific and I think have not listened to all works released by him... Sure, Joueny to the centre of the earth, The Six wives... are masterpieces but Romance of the victorian age is a delciious gift for the ears.. The Swans , is for me one of the best pieces composed , even though I donīt know if maybe this albums was composed by his son Wink
Long live the Wakemans
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 11:02
I rather enjoyed 'The Red Planet', and his latest album is OK. Smile
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 11:13
Rick's "over the topness" needs to controlled. As does Jon's and maybe Chris's. That's why Yes was bigger than the parts.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 11:13
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I rather enjoyed 'The Red Planet', and his latest album is OK. Smile

I like Gallery, too. It appears to have sustained a bit of unfairly harsh criticism.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 02:04
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

Rick's "over the topness" needs to controlled. .

I would beg to differ and actually the reason I don't like The Red Planet is exactly that it doesn't have enough 'flourish' . Six Wives was a work of total bravado/bravura . It hit me hard as a fan of Keith Emerson because I didn't think anyone could out do Emerson on that level!! King Arthur is also full of synth solos ''look at me I'm brilliant'' and that's why I love Wakey!
In Yes he did learn to take a back seat and that probably rankled with him. By TFTO he was almost shunted into the sidings and it really shows. I would much rather hear Wakeman playing keys than endless Steve Howe noodling but there it is...
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 11:44
Haha, Love your reply and respect it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 14:01
We've all heard of ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition, and now, Rick Wakeman invites us all to paint a picture whilst listening to the music on his brand new album, "A Gallery of the Imagination", which is available at all good art shops (probably), so paint brushes at the ready. Smile

Wakey's honest verdict on the album over at Rick's Plaice - http://www.rwcc.com/notices/agoti.php

4 stars 2022: Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble - A Gallery of the Imagination - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsFV6cfnk0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>