Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:03
Originally posted by Barking Weasel Barking Weasel wrote:

Frank Zappa deserves far more credit than the Beatles...he was more influential on 20th century music as a whole not just because of the fact that his early albums directly influenced the Beatles, but because he paved the way for innovative quality and exceptional showmanship in modern music.  With a revolving cast of excellent musicians like Aynsley Dunbar, Vinnie Coliuata, Steve Vai (err..ok, maybe not all that great...), and others, his legacy is truly a foundation of rock music.  The Beatles couldn't function autonomously or even tour after awhile, because the mystique surrounding them got to be so bloated and perverse.

The Beatles were great at marketing and merchandising themselves through trinkets and television, but the quality of their actual music remains, to my ears, dismal.  Call me biased, but I can't say with full confidence that the Beatles deserve all of the credit they get in the music industry.   

The opinions here are insane especially here at a prog site. Zappa only influenced a small fraction of musicians and songwriters the Beatles did. The Beatles basically influenced all the major early players of prog like Yes, King Crimson etc. Thats only one subgenre of music. You forget the Beatles were the reason the Byrds folk/rock formed and basically influenced every early Power-Pop bands.The Beatles were the main players in changing the perception that rock and roll was simple blues influenced music and that led to prog music and experimental music being accepted in the mainstream.

Also let me give you some history lessons years before Fripp or Brian Eno the Beatles were using or recorded live loops into a recording console like DEE JAYS do today for example on "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "I Am the Walrus" and that was Paul McCartney idea not George Martin. On top of that they used it in sound collage form with a highly closed miked bass and drum sound. I wonder if you hear these concepts in todays modern pop music.

Years before Brian Eno the Beatles were using loops to create ambient sounds for example on Revolver. You say the Beatles were not innovative which is insane but remember let me give you two bands who started were the Beatles left off Chicago for example "Got To Get You Into My Life" and ELO "Strawberry Fields  Forever".  The use of sitar and Indian instruments, feedback or mellotron the Beatles ideas again not George Martin. The Beatles had to tell George Martin that the Abbey Road studios had to improve on how they recorded the bass and drum sound.

As for the Beatles not getting enough credit well it's my opinion but on Revolver they managed to fuse Asian Music, Musique Concrete, the Avant Garde with huge success in the rock/pop music world that has not been matched well until their own Sgt. Pepper came along. Yeh other bands tried it out but most of the bands that tried to put these non-rock sources into their music never reached anywhere the success the Beatles achieved well at least sales wise.

You might think their music dismal which is sbubjectiive but the facts are their music is the most covered by other musicians not Zappa or Robert Fripp which is fact. Deal with it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:23
The Beatles are gods........please lock this thread.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:24
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

.please lock this thread.

+1
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:44
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

+1

I don't think I'm done shouting at the wind yet. Ermm
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

+1

I expect a reply from BW very soon.Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:54

+1

I expect a reply from BW very soon.Wink
Sunday or Tuesday I reckon. Clown (not sure what that smiley's there for or even what it means, so I never really had a need for it before and wanted to put something)
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 19:01
^ He was online just now looking at this thread so I was trying to second guess it. He's offline now. Maybe he knows he's beaten?

I doubt it though.Nuke
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 19:05

So...it is a crime to question the Beatles now?  This comment is indicative of the unbalanced view of the subject at hand, and your ridiculous comparison of the Beatles to mythical sky beings discredits your own assertions.  Had I used profane language in my posts, you might have had a legitimate concern.  I and many others have voiced our opinions on this issue, many of which have literally contradicted what you believe to be true.  I personally think that my posts add value to this discussion, because not many people are willing to question popularly-accepted views on the Beatles contributions to music.  Without multiple perspectives, this discussion would be nothing more than a stagnant rehash of every other Beatles debate in existence.

Interestingly enough, the Beatles contributions to progressive rock as a whole may not have been as extensive as some here are pointing out.  Both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart of Rush have gone on record as stating that the Rolling Stones were more of an influence on their music than the Beatles.  In his semi-autobiographical Traveling Music book, Peart even goes so far as to say that he never listens to the Beatles, and is more of a Beach Boys fan.  Frank Zappa echoes these sentiments at the beginning of the attached interview, stating that the Beatles were a less integral band to him in comparison to the Rolling Stones during the 60's.

Do you like The Clash?  One of their most famous songs, named "London Calling," contains the lyrics "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust."  Presumably, if the Beatles were so important to the development of rock music, every rock luminary in history would line up behind them. Joe Strummer clearly thinks that the Beatles weren't very good.  Not everyone has to agree about whether or not the Beatles were important to rock music, so I think the debate is fair, and this thread should remain open.  If it does not, I can still express my views on their music through the individual album review system.

Edited by Barking Weasel - April 29 2011 at 19:43
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:22

^ He was online just now looking at this thread so I was trying to second guess it. He's offline now. Maybe he knows he's beaten?

I doubt it though.Nuke

Your logic fascinates and disturbs me.  Perhaps you are more eager to hear what I have to say than you readily admit? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:30

Do you like The Clash?  One of their most famous songs, named "London Calling," contains the lyrics "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust."  Presumably, if the Beatles were so important to the development of rock music, every rock luminary in history would line up behind them. Joe Strummer clearly thinks that the Beatles weren't very good.    
Erm. No. Strummer is referring to the situation with The Clash following the end Punk in late 76/early 77. That's not a vague interpretation, it's in the lyric: "London Calling, now don't look to us, phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust". Notice that the preceding phrase refers to "us" (ie The Clash") making the "phony-Beatlemania" also a reference to them, which means that the success that he experienced was a phony-Beatlemania, not that Beatlemania was phony. Basically he's saying don't put The Clash on a pedestal like the Beatles.

Edited by Dean - April 29 2011 at 20:33
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:45
What?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:58

Do you like The Clash?  One of their most famous songs, named "London Calling," contains the lyrics "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust."  Presumably, if the Beatles were so important to the development of rock music, every rock luminary in history would line up behind them. Joe Strummer clearly thinks that the Beatles weren't very good.    
Erm. No. Strummer is referring to the situation with The Clash following the end Punk in late 76/early 77. That's not a vague interpretation, it's in the lyric: "London Calling, now don't look to us, phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust". Notice that the preceding phrase refers to "us" (ie The Clash") making the "phony-Beatlemania" also a reference to them, which means that the success that he experienced was a phony-Beatlemania, not that Beatlemania was phony. Basically he's saying don't put The Clash on a pedestal like the Beatles.

That is an interesting interpretation.  Still, based on the lyrics I do not think that Strummer was a Beatles fan, or would have cited them as a major influence.  Here is an article about his musical roots that supports my view:

http://www.emusic.com/lists/showlist.html?lid=22445900
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:25

That is an interesting interpretation.  Still, based on the lyrics I do not think that Strummer was a Beatles fan, or would have cited them as a major influence.  Here is an article about his musical roots that supports my view:

http://www.emusic.com/lists/showlist.html?lid=22445900
Erm, again No. The lyrics do not indicate that Strummer was not a Beatles fan - how you deduce that from the lyric is beyond me. Whether he quickly discarded them for the Stones is immaterial, as is whether he was a fan or not. Siouxsie Sioux was a fan of The Beatles and that is also immaterial. Collecting famous non-fans is not a winning argument.
What?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:56
I like Siouxsie Sioux.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:59

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-entertainment/music/2009/10/30/ex-genesis-guitarist-steve-hackett-recalls-hearing-john-lennon-say-he-loved-them-100252-25047932/

Ahhh...I will fully admit, you have hit the mushiest part of my soul dead-on Embarrassed.  Perhaps you scrolled through my Genesis reviews, noting that I gave 4-5 star ratings for every album from the Peter Gabriel era, including "Trespass?"  That was a good tactic, appealing to my love of that band. Heart  Well-played; you are a cruel apologist for the Beatles, indeed. Clap

Despite this, my earlier point still stands.  Not every major progressive-rock band or composer thought highly of the Beatles, or found them to be influential to their own music.  Not every music artist was in love with them, or cited them directly.  There still remains a discrepancy between the popular view of their influence, and their actual influence on widely respected music artists in the progressive rock genre.

I have finished an earlier rebuttal to the Goodall documentary, but I hesitate to post it in this forum because I am highly critical of the documentary; also, my summary contains many tongue-in-cheek elements, and I think most people were not expecting that from this discussion.  I may reconsider later though, so it may or may not appear.  The final summary is two pages long, so the post may also be ridiculously long. 

I'll conclude this post by saying that I am not entirely sure why there was such a huge outcry to my earlier statements.  People openly trash my favorite bands relentlessly to my face and in critical circles, but I don't get in a hissy fit about it, since to me listening to music should be about the personal reward and not the external reward from society.  I say, if you need a critic or social network to validate your chosen band for you, than perhaps you are listening to that band for the wrong reasons.  Over and over, I hear Beatles fans talk about this critic, and that critic who sing praises to their favorite group.  Why not just enjoy the music for its own sake and inherent value, instead of dissecting and pontificating on each individual element like Goodall does?  To me, the Beatles catalog represents a segment of popular music that is impersonal, pretentiously analyzed, and overly-laden with cultural significance.  When I listen to the Beatles, I find that all I can really hear is the cultural behemoth of "greatest rock band in the world," and not the creative force that by all accounts, I should be hearing.  In the end, the music suffers as a result.                      
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 22:46

So...it is a crime to question the Beatles now?  This comment is indicative of the unbalanced view of the subject at hand, and your ridiculous comparison of the Beatles to mythical sky beings discredits your own assertions.  Had I used profane language in my posts, you might have had a legitimate concern.  I and many others have voiced our opinions on this issue, many of which have literally contradicted what you believe to be true.  I personally think that my posts add value to this discussion, because not many people are willing to question popularly-accepted views on the Beatles contributions to music.  Without multiple perspectives, this discussion would be nothing more than a stagnant rehash of every other Beatles debate in existence.

Interestingly enough, the Beatles contributions to progressive rock as a whole may not have been as extensive as some here are pointing out.  Both Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart of Rush have gone on record as stating that the Rolling Stones were more of an influence on their music than the Beatles.  In his semi-autobiographical Traveling Music book, Peart even goes so far as to say that he never listens to the Beatles, and is more of a Beach Boys fan.  Frank Zappa echoes these sentiments at the beginning of the attached interview, stating that the Beatles were a less integral band to him in comparison to the Rolling Stones during the 60's.

Do you like The Clash?  One of their most famous songs, named "London Calling," contains the lyrics "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust."  Presumably, if the Beatles were so important to the development of rock music, every rock luminary in history would line up behind them. Joe Strummer clearly thinks that the Beatles weren't very good.  Not everyone has to agree about whether or not the Beatles were important to rock music, so I think the debate is fair, and this thread should remain open.  If it does not, I can still express my views on their music through the individual album review system.

BW....sir, I will respectfully say that had you read this whole thread from the start, you would know that I 100% do not feel the Beatles are anywhere near godlike status.
And my answer to the OP question was YES. I too mentioned that Rush very rarely mentions the Beatles in any manner as an influence and specifically none of their early music comes close to being Beatles influenced.

Understand that my post above was me being sarcastic to this whole thread.

Although I am glad I got Dean back into it.....his posts are always enjoyable.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 00:17

BW....sir, I will respectfully say that had you read this whole thread from the start, you would know that I 100% do not feel the Beatles are anywhere near godlike status.
And my answer to the OP question was YES. I too mentioned that Rush very rarely mentions the Beatles in any manner as an influence and specifically none of their early music comes close to being Beatles influenced.

Understand that my post above was me being sarcastic to this whole thread.

Although I am glad I got Dean back into it.....his posts are always enjoyable.

Well, I'll be darned...I thought something was weird about that post.  Yes, you are absolutely right; I did not catch the sarcasm, so I apologize for haranguing you with that lengthy reply.  
Floydman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 07:11

Again are you serious? Do you expect everyone to prefer the Beatles over the Rolling Stones or the Beach Boys? It doesn't mean anything. When you are as popular as the Beatles you expect some backlash. There are people who like the Monkees more than the Velvet Underground what does it mean other than you acting like a troll. For example back in 1967 Roger Waters and Nick Mason in an interview called the Beatles as their favorite songwriters. Then again Pete Townshend said the Beatles backing tracks were flippin lousy and then went on to say "Eleanor Rigby" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" influenced his approach to songwriting. Then you have Brian Wilson saying that his goal to write an album as great as Rubber Soul. It really goes on and on.

As for Rush progressive rock was long established before they even started to recorded their own music and they were more influenced by Led Zeppelin. In the course of rock history there have been plenty of bands who have been more influenced by Led Zeppelin than the Beatles for example Rush or Pearl Jam but that does not mean you discredit what the Beatles accomplished or who they influenced. For example would there have been even a Black Sabbath without the Beatles influence on Ozzy Osbourne? Would there have been even been a Pink Floyd if Syd Barrett didn't think they were the band to change music.

You also neglect to say the Geddy Lee of Rush cites Paul McCartney as an influence on his bass playing or that members of Clash liked the Beatles. Maybe a little balance in your comments would be nice. It's fine if you don't like the Beatles but you sound like a kid who wants to create revisionist history. For example another one who said they liked the Rolling Stones more than the Beatles was John Cale of the Velvet Underground but like many were impacted greatly by the Beatles.

John Cale: When we were doing it, it was rock that really pulled me out of it. You have to kind of imagine what kind of atmosphere we were in, in the lower east side in New York when that was going on. I would wake up and have doo-wop groups in the doorway across the street. The Beatles landed and everything changed and I suddenly realized I missed out on my teenage years. I led a sheltered life. I was practicing scales instead of going out there and playing football.

As for Zappa which Zappa are talking about the one that Velvet Underground says Zappa was jealous of the Beatles or the one who was making these comments?

Paul Zollo: "If you had to name a few songs written by other people that you consider to be great, what would they be?"

Zappa: "I liked 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' by Bob Dylan, I liked 'Paperback Writer' by the Beatles and 'I Am the Walrus.' And no one may not underestimate the impact of 'Louie Louie' the original
Richard Berry version

Frank Zappa once stated, that if the Beatles never happened, everyone would still be listening to stuff like Bobby Vee.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 08:53

I'll conclude this post by saying that I am not entirely sure why there was such a huge outcry to my earlier statements.  People openly trash my favorite bands relentlessly to my face and in critical circles, but I don't get in a hissy fit about it, since to me listening to music should be about the personal reward and not the external reward from society.

Nobody would ever stop you from disliking the Beatles or any other band or artist, because it's entirely your personal choice. But people like you are not satisfied with that. You assume that because you don't like something, it can't possibly be so important and influential as it is made out to be and all the people who believe it are just idiot fanboys. That, needless to say, is an incredibly elitist position and given your lack of strong defence for your position save flaming rants that mean precious little other than to say that you dislike them strongly (which we already know, duh!), you got the responses you deserved. Big smile

Why not just enjoy the music for its own sake and inherent value, instead of dissecting and pontificating on each individual element like Goodall does?  

Er, I like analyzing music and a lot of people do. What on earth is wrong with that? I also don't understand how understanding what goes into the music will somehow take away from its 'inherent value' - which is really all that Goodall did in those video-essays - and why music listeners must always be expected to regard it as superstitious ancestors regarded rain clouds - with apprehension and bewilderment.  At the end of the day, it is my choice or Goodall's for that matter, so please do not pontificate on it, thank you kindly.

To me, the Beatles catalog represents a segment of popular music that is impersonal, pretentiously analyzed, and overly-laden with cultural significance.  When I listen to the Beatles, I find that all I can really hear is the cultural behemoth of "greatest rock band in the world," and not the creative force that by all accounts, I should be hearing.  In the end, the music suffers as a result.  

That is just your opinion and the way you experienced their music. It does not represent objective fact and therefore does not preclude us from disagreeing with you and expressing our reasons why.  Ermmm, I hope you appreciate that a debate is two way. It cannot be you, BW, pontificating on why the world is totally wrong about Beatles and all of us listening quietly in reverent silence, so let me take this opportunity to burst your bubble.  We have our reasons and have given them in extensive detail. Take it or leave it, debate on it if you wish, but don't crib.

I, for instance, got into Beatles before I knew much about their significance to rock music so I am happily immune to the "overrated prejudice" that the music of popular bands gets subjected to.  BY the same token, it would be so easy for me to suggest that you have built up some preconceived expectations of what you want the greatest rock band to sound like and that, more than anything, is what is stopping you from giving Beatles an impartial assessment.        

Edited by rogerthat - April 30 2011 at 08:55
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 09:17
The Beatles obviously have a massive influence, this thread started 8 months ago LOL

Edited by topographicbroadways - April 30 2011 at 09:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>