Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 01:35
I saw already ratings for the new VDGG album and i don't believe it's out yet.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 01:44
^ OK 3 rating only reviews deleted. Official release date is 25/6/2012. If anyone gets a legit copy prior to this date they can explain why IN A WRITTEN REVIEW
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 21:48
^^ Thats what i thought when i saw VDGG reviews. I am not in high expectations for it though - but at least it deserves a legitimate review from legitimate sources. Glad you deleted them!
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 19:03
I have no problem with someone's opinion of a band, but as an album review, it's simply awful. It doesn't discuss any details of the album whatsoever.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=765750

"Nothing against Sigur Ros, but I am not sure how they made it into the Progressive Rock category. I had always thought that rock's hallmarks were rhythm, structure and texture, as a minimum.
Most of the Sigur Ros output is just loosely arranged .... er ... collection of sounds. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not too stimulating either. Too many of their songs sound as if a guy was pushing random keys on his synthesizer with his left hand, with a brick sitting on the sustain pedal, while petting a cat (or Facebookin on a smart phone ... or doing a sudoku puzzle ) with his right hand.

Bottom line: it's not really rock.

Neither can you really call it "progressive". The word "progressive" points at innovation, momentum, breaking the mold, search for new horizons, evolution and growth. The only growth Sigur Ros promotes in me is that of the mold and lichen behind my ears."
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 20:08

Doesn't show much of an understanding about post-ROCK.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 04:08
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

I have no problem with someone's opinion of a band, but as an album review, it's simply awful. It doesn't discuss any details of the album whatsoever.

"Nothing against Sigur Ros, but I am not sure how they made it into the Progressive Rock category. I had always thought that rock's hallmarks were rhythm, structure and texture, as a minimum.
Most of the Sigur Ros output is just loosely arranged .... er ... collection of sounds. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not too stimulating either. Too many of their songs sound as if a guy was pushing random keys on his synthesizer with his left hand, with a brick sitting on the sustain pedal, while petting a cat (or Facebookin on a smart phone ... or doing a sudoku puzzle ) with his right hand.

Neither can you really call it "progressive". The word "progressive" points at innovation, momentum, breaking the mold, search for new horizons, evolution and growth. The only growth Sigur Ros promotes in me is that of the mold and lichen behind my ears."

Yep agreed. I've sent a PM reiterating that reviews are not to be used to discuss a band's appropriateness for PA.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 21:08
Is this Squacket review  OK?

Quote boe_a

4 stars An excellent album from start to finish. I am impressed with Chris Squires "rehabilitation" as of late, with the Syn, the new Yes album and now this. It is like he is trying again. Hackett does what he does best, which is add nuances to all the corners of the track that are not dominated by other sounds or textures. In a world of crap music, it is nice to hear well-crafted music being made. At times the tracks could be off of "Cured", of "Defector" and I love the Beatles touches. The harmonies are to die for, and I am surprised to hear Chris singing in a lower register, sort of the way Geddy has for the last 20 years. He still does his high bits, but it is still kind of weird to realize it's Chris. There are also some neat, almost avant-garde touches which I appreciate very much. Sadly, I fully expect a bunch of old drama queens to rip this record a new one because it doesn't sound "classic" enough. Screw that. Those days are gone, and I fully expect the artists I love to grow old gracefully and make music that is more akin to what is being produced now. What is REALLY FUNNY is to hear "Aliens Are Only Us From the Future", as it sounds nothing like the live bootleg versions that Yes performed with Benoit David and the unused studio version that was supposed to be on "Fly From Here" (also with Benoit). This is a classic, understated, beautiful record from masters of the craft of songwriting.

So....If you don't like the album (I like it, but don't consider it remotely a masterpiece), you have to avoid reviewing it and be called an "old Drama Queen"?

BTW: Not the first one

Quote 4 stars Yikes! I was bothered by reviews of this album by other commenters, so I decided to check it out. They, of course are nobheads for slamming this album. It is great! Do not listen to it if you don't like middle period Genesis, but for those of us who do, it is truly awesome! Sometimes it is reminiscent of early Genesis, but it is more like a cross between "...And then there were three", and "Duke", without the crap tunes. Good stuff, and worth every one of the 4 stars I gave it! PS- I am also blown away by Nad Sylvan's multi-instrumental capabilities. I am jealous!

Nobheads is badly written, but it's obvious what he means

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 07 2012 at 21:15

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 22:50
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Yep agreed. I've sent a PM reiterating that reviews are not to be used to discuss a band's appropriateness for PA.

While you were at it did you tell him to look up the term "post rock"?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 03:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Quote 4 stars Yikes! I was bothered by reviews of this album by other commenters, so I decided to check it out. They, of course are nobheads for slamming this album. It is great! Do not listen to it if you don't like middle period Genesis, but for those of us who do, it is truly awesome! Sometimes it is reminiscent of early Genesis, but it is more like a cross between "...And then there were three", and "Duke", without the crap tunes. Good stuff, and worth every one of the 4 stars I gave it! PS- I am also blown away by Nad Sylvan's multi-instrumental capabilities. I am jealous!

Nobheads is badly written, but it's obvious what he means

Iván

OK, the nobheads (sic) jibe is well over the line (though it can't be slander if it's trueWink).
I've edited the review and sent him a PM

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 08 2012 at 04:04
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 09:21
This guy must really hate a lot of music
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=37464&listreviews=rate&showall=true#reviews

Sorry for no link, I'm on my tablet.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 09:34
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=37464&listreviews=rate&showall=true#reviews  
That's something we just have to live with on a site that allows instant ratings I fear. I think we either need a more selective bulk-delete tool or an automatic mechanism that doesn't allow people to give low ratings to every album in a discography....

...I'm going to have to think about this for a bit (then probably delete all his ratings)

Sorry to hear that - not for anything too serious I hope Wink
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 09:36
I always spelt it nob and nobheads. Quite acceptable.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 09:42
...except it's a completely different word with a completely different meaning. But it doesn't matter, it's still not acceptable in a review.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 09:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...except it's a completely different word with a completely different meaning. But it doesn't matter, it's still not acceptable in a review.

No of course not.. But I know of no other meaning. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:05
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

No of course not.. But I know of no other meaning. 
of nob, not nobhead:

nob/näb/
Noun:
  1. A person of wealth or high social position.
  2. A person's head.
Synonyms:
noddle - pate - head

so with that spelling a nobhead would either be the head of a toff, or a head-head.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:06
I've never liked the knobhead spelling so I'll not start now.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:38

I believe we forgot the Squackett review by Boe_a

"Sadly, I fully expect a bunch of old drama queens to rip this record a new one because it doesn't sound "classic" enough. Screw that."

The guy is a bit too aggressive.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 08 2012 at 10:38

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 13:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I believe we forgot the Squackett review by Boe_a

"Sadly, I fully expect a bunch of old drama queens to rip this record a new one because it doesn't sound "classic" enough. Screw that."

The guy is a bit too aggressive.

Iván

Yes, it's aggressive but I don't have a problem with 'old drama queens' re critical reception in general, whereas I do object to nobheads (but that's just me I guess)
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 15:39

That's something we just have to live with on a site that allows instant ratings I fear. I think we either need a more selective bulk-delete tool or an automatic mechanism that doesn't allow people to give low ratings to every album in a discography....

...I'm going to have to think about this for a bit (then probably delete all his ratings)

Sorry to hear that - not for anything too serious I hope Wink

Only to treat my electronics addiction LOLTongue
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 17:18
So, I was checking out Ange's discogrophy, ya know, to find an album to check out, and I meant to click on the newest one of thier's when I accediently rated it. So, now I need an admin to delete said rating.
I'm so sorry, please don't hate me Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 282>