Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 14:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Please, Gerinski, refine your ideas, because yesterday and today is not a good comparison at all ... think of it like this ... it rained yesterday ... it's sunny today ... but the carpentry is still there!
Yesterday vs Today is as valid a comparison as it can be Confused  it rained 1000 years ago and it rains today, don't tell me that we may not compare today with 1000 years ago because of that.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:41
I tend to go with Pedro on that point.  It's like how ageists compare the daring approach of serve and volleyers in the 60s.  Yeah, sure, and nobody could make backhand returns of the quality of Murray or Djokovic with those tiny wooden racquets back then.  It is generally very difficult to compare different eras, more so as they get further and further apart.  
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 00:01
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I tend to go with Pedro on that point.  It's like how ageists compare the daring approach of serve and volleyers in the 60s.  Yeah, sure, and nobody could make backhand returns of the quality of Murray or Djokovic with those tiny wooden racquets back then.  It is generally very difficult to compare different eras, more so as they get further and further apart.  
Martina Navratilova said in an interview that "it's not tennis anymore" and that it should adopt a rule that the major tournaments ought to be played with wooden rackets that are made in the same way as before, and delivered together with that old kind of the wires made of the cat's guts, which are actually done a way slower play than it is the case today when the rackets are, say, "slingshots" made of carbon fiber.

But Martina Navratilova is an old woman nowDo you think it would be a new audience liked to watch a slow-motion? I think that they would get bored quickly in that case.
That debate over the retro-prog made by contemporary prog bands really has some similarities with the above storyAs far as I know, some new prog albums in retro style are experienced a standing ovation, but if a new prog band goes "too far" in their retro style, especially when production that really run contrary of modern loudness made by contemporary mastering techniques, so you have to crank up the volume while listening to some "overly retro" prog stuff by a modern band, it does not cause the majority of the audience's delight. Eveything is changed, so the prog fans' ears also.

Edited by Svetonio - February 03 2015 at 02:31
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 06:44
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Martina Navratilova said in an interview that "it's not tennis anymore" and that it should adopt a rule that the major tournaments ought to be played with wooden rackets that are made in the same way as before, and delivered together with that old kind of the wires made of the cat's guts, which are actually done a way slower play than it is the case today when the rackets are, say, "slingshots" made of carbon fiber.

But Martina Navratilova is an old woman nowDo you think it would be a new audience liked to watch a slow-motion? I think that they would get bored quickly in that case.
That debate over the retro-prog made by contemporary prog bands really has some similarities with the above storyAs far as I know, some new prog albums in retro style are experienced a standing ovation, but if a new prog band goes "too far" in their retro style, especially when production that really run contrary of modern loudness made by contemporary mastering techniques, so you have to crank up the volume while listening to some "overly retro" prog stuff by a modern band, it does not cause the majority of the audience's delight. Eveything is changed, so the prog fans' ears also.

"It's not ____ anymore" are basically the most dangerous words, especially when uttered by a legend like Navratilova herself because it only fuels the confirmation bias that ageists rely on.  All it probably means is it's not what such people originally fell in love with, it has evolved into something else.  Now who's to say that evolution itself is bad?  And even if we assume it is for the sake of argument, it's kind of inevitable as a reponse to a variety of cultural or even technological changes.

I have noticed that aspect (which I highlighted in the second para of your comment) about an album I heard recently (though it was not retro) and yes my first reaction was adverse until I realised that it's just been produced in a more old school, subtle way.     

Edited by rogerthat - February 03 2015 at 06:44
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:54
How could you possibly be a skilled musician for 40 years and not question something being deadly wrong? Specifically the way formulas in music are used today! For me personally, the original "down to earth", British and American Rock music died years before the "Stadium Rock" scene developed. Any artistic style to improvisation with Rock guitar from the late 60's and early 70's was still being applied to sections of "Stadium Rock". The only problem existing under my telescope observation was that the artistic style to Rock guitar playing was now being muddled with devices. In the late 60's, Jimi Hendrix was experimenting with modern devices, but relied more on his creative abilities by producing sounds at high volumes in front of a "Marshall" stack. Everything was about what HE could create on his own due to the lack of advanced technology and unlike the "Stadium Rock" era which presented guitar players with new stomp boxes. The problem existing within that marketing aspect was the reality that you could now cover up your mistakes with distortion, unlike Hendrix' original intention, based on his surroundings...and his brilliant exploitation into changing the sound of the guitar and the way in which guitar players of the world could actually attack the guitar,,,which was quite unknown to most people until he finally toward England and America with The Jimi Hendrix Experience. The fact that he had played with many "Soul" bands in the 60's and was influenced by Buddy Guy's guitar playing to a degree had little to do with his right hand attack and overall sound technically.

In 1974 when Robin Trower released Bridge Of Sighs it had a huge impact on the Rock scene with it's (slight return) of Jimi Hendrix style. It was often claimed by professional traveling musicians that this album came close to what Jimi Hendrix would have produced if he had lived longer. I disagree and feel that "Bridge Of Sighs was the damnation of guitar players who now wanted to turn their volume up and truly coming across as dull with no real melodic substance unlike  Peter Green, Mick Taylor, or even Ritchie Blackmore who understood dynamics. This album attracted a lot of guitar players who were serious about their career, but not too serious about sounding clean. Most British guitarists from the British Blues era were very skilled beyond just playing Blues music alone and several of them were jazzy players. Where did we go wrong with Stadium Rock regarding existing dimensions like that?

Progressive Rock, in the mid and late 70's..developed a different sound with newly developed synths. The intro to "Alaska" by U.K. was an obvious indication that the sound had changed. It was hard to digest a few of the groundbreaking Progressive Rock bands selling out at this point in time. Progressive Rock bands remained on the underground scene all through the 70's while ELP and YES were performing in arenas profiting for the record companies. That scene was so extreme and just like Americans reaction to the British Invasion, many American Progressive Rock musicians I worked with...secretly desired to be British. Mainly because the most innovative Progressive Rock was invented by the British...and that being the reason why various American musicians who were serious about music couldn't wait to travel to England and meet these innovators face to face. It's so bewildering how many British musicians I have met truly don't realize the impact they had on American kids and how their music influenced them to take up an instrument. American kids sitting in their rooms trying to learn how to play like Alvin Lee or Steve Howe. Musicians everywhere running to the music stores to purchase bass pedals like Michael Rutherford's. It's a shame that we don't have that abundance of interest in Prog today...where upon most people not interested in it could somehow GAIN some interest by having a reason to be curious.   

Edited by TODDLER - February 03 2015 at 10:06
benbell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 04:46
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Sigh, nostalgia is the bane of the modern world.

Things were so much better back when we didn't have nostalgia.
Jake Night View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:51
In the 60's and 70's, there was no such thing a progressive rock.  Prog bands as defined today were simply good, interesting, creative or great rock bands.  ROCK BANDS.  It was imperative to be different and unique.  Copy cat bands were looked down upon. 

Good or great rock bands had audiences.  They had the ear of the general public unlike today.
Today's sophisticated youth scene has little interest in rock and about zero interest in what we all call progrock. 

The new prog bands are trying to figure out a way to gain the attention of the general public by exploring things similar to what they are listening too.  The biggest influence on society and music has been computer technology. 

Music is being composed on computers, recorded on computers, processed, mixed and mastered on computers and finally being distributed on computers. 

The old way was about learning the craft of becoming a musician and earning your way into a quality band that then paid their dues through intensive practicing, performing, gigging and touring.

The new way is everyone that has a computer is a musician and a composer if they want to.
There are now 1000's of times more people making and distributing music across the internet.
There are more people making music than there are fans buying and supporting it.

I would guess that on a site like this 80% of the forum members are either musicians or are toying with making music.  The lure of the computer is that now anyone can have access to making "complex" music with all the tools and technology available to everyone.

This generation supports this generation because it's their generation and every generation thinks they are the greatest generation of all generations.

The vast majority of people who support older prog are older people.  The younger people support the newer prog.

The newer generation rationalize their love of newer prog based upon the overall consensus that computers are amazing and wonderful and give everyone a chance to make music and this is good.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 03:15

No band nowadays would go through something like Chicago did when they started out.  Why? Because to be successful, today, you don't have to. 

This is a very telling documentary and it shows how completely different the ideals where back then compared to now. 

Imagine a band practicing 8 to 10 hours a day for nearly two years before making their first record.  That would be very inconvenient for a band to do today.  More convenient to not even have a band and just be your own computer based band with 10,000 fans on facebook and 5 million youtube views.

Edited by Jake Night - February 05 2015 at 03:18
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:57
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I understand Martina's point in some extent but absolutely  in different sports:

For example archery

This is archery

Doesn't matter if the materials are lighter, easier to manipulate, etc, the mechanism is the same.

This is not archery

This is not archery, the laser sight makes all the job.

Now in Prog, there are guys who use the computer to enhance the sound, that's OK, not so different from using a Mellotron , but people who rely almost exclusively in the computer to create, sample, etc, that's not acceptable for me.

No matter how fast or how precise, the human touch is getting lost

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 05 2015 at 10:58

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 11:49
Originally posted by Jake Night Jake Night wrote:

In the 60's and 70's, there was no such thing a progressive rock.  Prog bands as defined today were simply good, interesting, creative or great rock bands.  ROCK BANDS.  It was imperative to be different and unique.  Copy cat bands were looked down upon. 

Good or great rock bands had audiences.  They had the ear of the general public unlike today.
Today's sophisticated youth scene has little interest in rock and about zero interest in what we all call progrock. 

The new prog bands are trying to figure out a way to gain the attention of the general public by exploring things similar to what they are listening too.  The biggest influence on society and music has been computer technology. 

Music is being composed on computers, recorded on computers, processed, mixed and mastered on computers and finally being distributed on computers. 

The old way was about learning the craft of becoming a musician and earning your way into a quality band that then paid their dues through intensive practicing, performing, gigging and touring.

The new way is everyone that has a computer is a musician and a composer if they want to.
There are now 1000's of times more people making and distributing music across the internet.
There are more people making music than there are fans buying and supporting it.

I would guess that on a site like this 80% of the forum members are either musicians or are toying with making music.  The lure of the computer is that now anyone can have access to making "complex" music with all the tools and technology available to everyone.

This generation supports this generation because it's their generation and every generation thinks they are the greatest generation of all generations.

The vast majority of people who support older prog are older people.  The younger people support the newer prog.

The newer generation rationalize their love of newer prog based upon the overall consensus that computers are amazing and wonderful and give everyone a chance to make music and this is good.

LOLLOLLOL   Do you mind if I make a copy of your post and hang it on my kitchen wall? Great post!
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 12:47
What's been lost is expertise. The authority, dimension and authenticity that's created when each member of a band knows his job and does it well - that is sorely lacking in this do it yourself musical culture. Don't know how to play drums? Just program a beat. Who cares if you don't know what you're doing and it shows? It's in perfect time, right? I'm 30 and have witnessed my generation blowing it musically since I was a teenager. I blame it on the superficiality of the 80's and the age of the iconic amateur, the 90's Grunge era. Not a great couple of influences. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:21
All the great rock bands that most anyone has heard of or cares about that has legacy status (which everyone wants at some level both musicians and fans) .... all of those bands were a team effort.  A huge team effort.  Not just the 4 or 5 people in the band, but the record company, managers, promoters, distribution teams, roadies and tour support etc.  Watch the credits of a big budget Hollywood movie.  There are often over a 1000 people credited. 

We stand in awe of the Great Pyramids of Giza.  Think how many people were involved in making that happen.
Now you go out and try to make a Pyramid in your backyard sandbox and see how far you get.  Sure, you might enjoy it and like your little pile you made.  You might even get 15 likes on your facebook page from your biggest supporters.  A lot of good things might happen.  If it's big enough, it might make the news or even go viral on youtube.  But is it going to be there 3000 years from now?  Will anyone even care next year? next month, next week or tomorrow?  Only you.

The young musicians, serious ones, are going to either play classical music or jazz.  They are more likely to play jazz because there is still a small audience of their peers there.  Classical music not so much.  Too expensive and stuffy.  But the youth culture might find a friend down at a local cool spot playing jazz.

Jazz musicians are very protective of their area.  They don't want any nonsense going on.  It's keep it real or get the f*$K out of here.  No computers, no silly DJ's, no rock posers. 

But they are the future of music.  For prog to get the ear of the public again, it's these players that need to get back interested in prog.  Every great rock band and that includes what we now call prog had significant if not HUGE influence from Jazz.  Some more than others, but EVERY great rock band had that element either in their drummer (Bruford, Collins, Palmer, Barlow, Weathers, Ward, Moon, Bonham, Baker, Mason etc) some more than others, or they had lead players who could really improvise like a jazz musician in a live situation. 

Now if you bring in some classical kids into the mix, into the band, then they can really bring something as well.  A sophistication of structural composition and usually great chops if they can learn to leave their sheet music on the bedroom music stand.

I believe that a great young progressive jazz band (prog) could sway an audience's ear for attention away from the techno and hip hop scene.  If enough people listen, the big labels will take notice, a proper team could then be assembled and things could change.

Otherwise, enjoy Apple "Garage Band" music for the next thousand years or until the big day happens.

Edited by Jake Night - February 05 2015 at 13:24
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:27
Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

What's been lost is expertise. The authority, dimension and authenticity that's created when each member of a band knows his job and does it well - that is sorely lacking in this do it yourself musical culture. Don't know how to play drums? Just program a beat. Who cares if you don't know what you're doing and it shows? It's in perfect time, right? I'm 30 and have witnessed my generation blowing it musically since I was a teenager. I blame it on the superficiality of the 80's and the age of the iconic amateur, the 90's Grunge era. Not a great couple of influences. 

The jazz has been lost.  It really has, it's the jazz.  But you are correct in all your points also.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:41
I think this is becoming a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Aside from being a talented musician himself, Steven Wilson has surrounded himself with crack musos like Gavin Harrison, Guthrie Govin, Marco Minneman, John Wesley, Colin Wilson and and Nick Beggs.

Various Metal subgenre groups like Gojira have incredible chops, along with Prog groups like POS and Opeth.

Where is all this music programming and lack of musicainship that members are talking about?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:47
And what's wrong with programmed drums? Tongue

Edited by Polymorphia - February 05 2015 at 13:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:54
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Nothing, you only have to punch the information into a drum machine once. 
They can also keep a steady beat and won't steal your beer.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:55
^Or pass out on stage! Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 14:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Or pass out on stage! Tongue
I have seen that more than once, the one thing you can rely on technology is for it to be unreliable.
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 14:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Nothing, you only have to punch the information into a drum machine once. 
They can also keep a steady beat and won't steal your beer.
Yes, but a steady beat is not what you always want, the musician(s) need to know what they want and make it happen, with real instrumentalists or with rendered playing. 'Steady beat' is one of the things which often cause complaints from some listeners. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 14:47
^I think Dean might have been making an ironic but true statement. If your main concern is a steady beat as is used in today's Pop, Hip Hop or whatever, then programmed percussion will work just fine.

It just doesn't cut it for most Prog music, however. (Thank the gods!)

Edited by SteveG - February 05 2015 at 14:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>