Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [71.64%]
19 [28.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:26
The spinning keyboardist, the killer bassist, and the crazed leaping drummer. From Strawbs only the beautiful Hero and Heroine engenders love, but Keith, Greg, and Carl had a string of five great albums that helped me get into prog.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:27
Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:33
ELP.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:40
From the Witchwood is a pretty decent album so Strawbs obviously 
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 11:57
Strawbs
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 12:39
ELP especially for Tarkus.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 13:09
No contest. ELP.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 13:25
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

The spinning keyboardist, the killer bassist, and the crazed leaping drummer. From Strawbs only the beautiful Hero and Heroine engenders love, but Keith, Greg, and Carl had a string of five great albums that helped me get into prog.

I do enjoy 'Hero and Heroine', btw an actually beautiful brief organ passage in the title track and in Sad Young Man, is RW playing there too? The other one that I know is 'Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios' but didn't get to like it, maybe for being even more in the folk music. Which were the bands influenced by Strawbs?

Now, talking about the fan-tas-tic ELP - let me make a reverence here: ClapClapClap (goddamned! where is that  reverence icon?)

Please have the wise words Dickie Micky:
_Well..  "I would rank ELP as #1 not for inspiring copy cats, but for being the primary influence on some of the most defining aspects of what prog became. Ensemble virtuosity, emphasis on classical/rock merging, and of course taking keyboards out of a supporting role and making them on par with the lead guitar in driving the music."    http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100043&KW=classical%2Frock&PID=5068147#5068147

ClapThumbs Up

What a helluva distinguishable character I found in their music! What a damn genuinely original band! And my goodness how long will it take till I find yet another one to amaze me with that sheer power so characteristic of the fan-tas-tic ELP?  (these are just my words hahah)

Edited by Rick Robson - November 30 2014 at 14:29

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 14:06
For micky, as I promised:

I like to extend an olive branch to ELP fans and give ELP albums an extra star for its place in music history on top of its intrinsic value. For Tarkus, that makes two stars total.

But really I applaud ELP fans for their iron stomachs.

I was an ELP fan once. Then I listened to them.

How is Carl Palmer like woman's pants? His pocket is too shallow to hold anything of worth and everybody wants to him out of the picture.

Thus, I vote for the lesser of the two evils, the bland but occasionally delightful Strawbs. Wink

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 14:22
From the Witchwood, Grave New World and Hero and Heroine are so much better than even ELP's best (Trilogy) that it's an easy pick - Strawbs.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 14:51
I don't like The Strawbs.
ELP is one of the very best prog bands.
Their eponymous debut is probably in my top 5 of all favorite albums.
The Tarkus suite is in my top 5 of all favorite songs.
A killer band! 
Landslide, no-brainer, no contest, walkover... ELP!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

I do enjoy 'Hero and Heroine', btw an actually beautiful brief organ passage in the title track and in Sad Young Man, is RW playing there too? The other one that I know is 'Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios' but didn't get to like it, maybe for being even more in the folk music. Which were the bands influenced by Strawbs?

John Hawken did all the keys on Hero and Heroine, Wakeman was in the band '70-'71, while the album was recorded late in '73 and dropped the next year. Hawken was fantastic on that album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 16:43
That's a tough one for me since I really like the earlier albums by both bands....went with ELP only because of the debut which is a sentimental favorite of mine.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 17:18
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I like to extend an olive branch to ELP fans and give ELP albums an extra star for its place in music history on top of its intrinsic value. For Tarkus, that makes two stars total.

How is Carl Palmer like woman's pants? His pocket is too shallow to hold anything of worth and everybody wants to him out of the picture.

Thus, I vote for the lesser of the two evils, the bland but occasionally delightful Strawbs. Wink

Clap  let me get the clappie out of the way.  Love the picture.  Is  that supposed to be someone. If so I don't recoginize them.

Now.  Arguing personal tastes is as pointless as is stupid. However if I can be honest, anyone giving Tarkus 2 stars in a review is a blaring red light that one has ZERO objectivity in their reviewing skill set and is a reviewer to be ignored with extreme prejudice.  One thing I've noticed is good reviewers can differentiate between their tastes and the subject being reviewed.  One does not have to like the art... however if one really wants to be taken seriously you have to at least appreciate the attempt.  Tarkus is hailed as a landmark album in prog and the side one epic is consistently tagged as one of the greatest expression of the side long epic ever in prog.  One doesn't have to like it, however one has to realize there is something there, even if one does not see it themselves.  A great warning sign that .. hey.. perhaps I am missing something. Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely DETESTED a modern classic prog album but still rated it highly. I just made it clear I didn't like it but there was no ignoring its import or influence and WAS an album that any well rounded prog fan should have and know.  My review and the venom in it was just a warning that listeners of simiilar tastes to me might find it as revolting and sickening to the senses as I did hahah.

Oh.. what is the deal with Carl Palmer. You completely lost me there. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 18:47
i think ELP gets my vote here.
Progrockdude
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 18:56
ELP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 19:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Clap  let me get the clappie out of the way.  Love the picture.  Is  that supposed to be someone. If so I don't recoginize them.

Now.  Arguing personal tastes is as pointless as is stupid. However if I can be honest, anyone giving Tarkus 2 stars in a review is a blaring red light that one has ZERO objectivity in their reviewing skill set and is a reviewer to be ignored with extreme prejudice.  One thing I've noticed is good reviewers can differentiate between their tastes and the subject being reviewed.  One does not have to like the art... however if one really wants to be taken seriously you have to at least appreciate the attempt.  Tarkus is hailed as a landmark album in prog and the side one epic is consistently tagged as one of the greatest expression of the side long epic ever in prog.  One doesn't have to like it, however one has to realize there is something there, even if one does not see it themselves.  A great warning sign that .. hey.. perhaps I am missing something. Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely DETESTED a modern classic prog album but still rated it highly. I just made it clear I didn't like it but there was no ignoring its import or influence and WAS an album that any well rounded prog fan should have and know.  My review and the venom in it was just a warning that listeners of simiilar tastes to me might find it as revolting and sickening to the senses as I did hahah.

Oh.. what is the deal with Carl Palmer. You completely lost me there. LOL
It was supposed to be Dave Cousins but the image editor burred the image beyond recognition. Embarrassed

Now I did give Tarkus two stars but it was an honest two stars (no extra stars for the history kind of thing). Far from objective, but what does a listener have without his own subjective opinion?

And that reasoning is why I don't do much reviewing. LOL

Here's the thing: The reason you gave that "modern classic" prog album was simply because of its place within prog. That's understandable, especially if you were writing for a prog magazine (I would see no reason to hold back if I were writing for another genre). But, on a user-based site like PA, if it is really a modern classic, there are going to be enough people giving it high ratings. People need to hear a variety of opinions on the album if those opinions exist and can be stated well. Otherwise, the algorithmic results on the site will be far from an objective representation of the subjective opinions and the sum of subjective opinions are the only thing that make it a classic. I don't think the script attributed to the stars should be read into that much. If a classic isn't a classic to you, the rest of the lemmings oughtta be enough to outweigh you.

Anyway, I like to see blood and guts sometimes in reviewing. One of my favorite reviews is Guldbamsen's 2-star review of Deafheaven's Sunbather which made me think a little harder about the points I was making even though I gave it 5-stars.

Edited by Polymorphia - November 30 2014 at 19:19
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 20:19
Strawbs
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 20:29
strawbs
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 23:35
ELP. BSS  trumps everything I've heard from Strawbs.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - November 30 2014 at 23:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>