Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEinstuerzende Neubauten?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is the best way of classifying Einstuerzede Neubauten?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
7 [31.82%]
2 [9.09%]
9 [40.91%]
4 [18.18%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 19:54
Originally posted by Publius Publius wrote:

hehe. Einsturzende are a topic of much debate in industrial/rivethead circles. Believe me I've been there. 'A bunch of crazy Germans banging on things? That's not industrial!' I have heard many a time. They might sound industrial, but you could argue that Coheed And Cambria sound emo. Doesn't make them not progressive.

I'm not saying they're typical prog rock, but they have very progressive moment. They have a lot of Neu-esque pensive moments, and their songs are really thoughtful.

Yes, it does - for some people. That's why Coheed And Cambria were removed from the archives - some styles like Emo, Punk and Industrial don't lend themselves to prog very much. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 19:55
Don't get the concepts of 'prog' and 'progressive' confused though!
I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 19:56
Industrial is one of my favorite genres, yet I have to agree that it doesn't contain many 'prog' moments...
And above all, is punk
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 19:56
but Fantomas you must be able to see how Einstuerzende can be viewed as progressive in some respects? Think about it, what other bands are quite like them?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 19:59

Great. but my German is limited I'm afraid.

Here's an english text:

Few bands have metamorphosed as dramatically over their careers as Einstürzende Neubauten. Formed in post-punk West Berlin, the band emerged as part of a Dadaist movement called Die Geniale Dillitanten (the brilliant amateurs) which aimed to break down all musical conventions. Enjoying their live debut on April 1, 1980, they quickly became known for 'unlistenable' eardrum-assaulting industrial noise and destructive, nihilistic behaviour, reportedly acted out in a haze of drugs and alcohol. Even their name aptly illustrated their destructive tendencies: 'Einstürzende' means 'collapsing' and 'Neubauten' is the German word for the ugly, box-like, concrete high-rise blocks of flats that mushroomed everywhere in Europe during the 1960s and '70s.

In those early days, Neubauten concerts often collapsed into rioting and critical uproar. In the UK, for instance, they gained notoriety in 1984 thanks to a concert at the ICA in London that featured road drills, chainsaws, a cement mixer, various raw building materials and, legend has it, a piano. During the performance, which was titled 'Concerto for Voice and Machine', glass bottles ended up in the cement mixer and the front rows were showered in sawdust and glass, leaving some with gashed faces. When the PA speakers came perilously close to the centre of destruction, ICA officials forcibly removed the protagonists from the stage, only to end up wrestling with crowd members who were into some DIY themselves. "Possibly the best gig since the crucifixion," concluded one enthusiastic reviewer.

In the context of such apparent nihilism, few would have put any money on the band making the end of the '80s. Yet nearly 25 years on, the band and its members are alive and well. What's more, EN's recent works are lyrical, pastoral, delicate things of beauty, full of melody, poetry and wonder. On their latest opus, Perpetuum Mobile (2004), for instance, power drills have made way for dried linden leaves, while its predecessor, Silence Is Sexy (2000) was an ode to silence. In recent years they've also been extensively involved in various high art projects such as dance and theatre performances. And where Neubauten once almost assaulted their audience with an uncompromising 'take it or leave it' attitude, Perpetuum Mobile came into being after intense interaction and consultation with fans, who witnessed the album's writing and recording sessions via the Internet. Einstürzende Neubauten have clearly come a long way.

Read the full article here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/einsturzende. htm

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:01

Don't get the concepts of 'prog' and 'progressive' confused though!

If you continue to claim that they are prog, I wonder if YOU know the difference.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:02
'the band emerged as part of a Dadaist movement called Die Geniale Dillitanten (the brilliant amateurs) which aimed to break down all musical conventions.' Like I said, experimental. A lot of prog is unlistenable! Captain Beefheart, The Residents...
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:03
I ain't sayin theyre prog! I'm saying they can be progressive. I'll wait for some more poll results...Then I'll decide what to do about them.
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:04
Ok, I agree. But, see my point: I can see some  progressive tendencies on the work of Einstuerzende Neubauten. Indeed, they sound like Neu! sometimes... But  if they're added to the site, someone might claim that Ministry and KMFDM should be too... And I don't think these bands come to be progressive, they're Industrial. Einstuerzende Neubauten has some prog moments? For sure yes! But they belong to other "chain", other movement. So to add 'em, we should add the whole movement. The line of what is prog, and what isn't, is rather tenuous.

This is my opinion, anyway.
And above all, is punk
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:05

I ain't sayin theyre prog! I'm saying they can be progressive. I'll wait for some more poll results...Then I'll decide what to do about them.

If they're not prog, they won't be included. At least that's the rule of thumb. If you want M@x to include them, you'll have to name one of their albums which is completely prog.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:06
Yeah, nice one Fantomas I'm glad you see my point. Industrial is my favourite genre next to prog, but Einsturzende stand out amongst KMFDM, Ministry, NIN, Wumpscut etc. But people here I suppose won't really listen to that...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:07

Originally posted by Fantômas Fantômas wrote:

Ok, I agree. But, see my point: I can see some  progressive tendencies on the work of Einstuerzende Neubauten. Indeed, they sound like Neu! sometimes... But  if they're added to the site, someone might claim that Ministry and KMFDM should be too... And I don't think these bands come to be progressive, they're Industrial. Einstuerzende Neubauten has some prog moments? For sure yes! But they belong to other "chain", other movement. So to add 'em, we should add the whole movement. The line of what is prog, and what isn't, is rather tenuous.

At the top of this thread, you'll see that I mentioned similarities to Krautrock in a post. But given the real dilletantism in their "playing", I doubt that they will be recognized by Krautrock experts ... minimalism is ok, but there has to be some basic level of musicianship ...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:08

Yeah, nice one Fantomas I'm glad you see my point. Industrial is my favourite genre next to prog, but Einsturzende stand out amongst KMFDM, Ministry, NIN, Wumpscut etc. But people here I suppose won't really listen to that...

Why don't you make a case for Front 242? They are some sort of progressive industrial band - or rather EBM.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:08
Some of them are musical. Alex Hacke is clearly a fluent bass player, and they have a lot of keyboard work. Blixa Bargeld plays guitar too, but not in EN.
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:09
Front 242 are progressive?
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

At the top of this thread, you'll see that I mentioned similarities to Krautrock in a post. But given the real dilletantism in their "playing", I doubt that they will be recognized by Krautrock experts ... minimalism is ok, but there has to be some basic level of musicianship ...

Well, I always thought that Krautrock is "Experimental-German-Rock" or influenced by such...
And above all, is punk
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:12

Well, I always thought that Krautrock is "Experimental-German-Rock" or influenced by such...

Yeah. But careful what you say...you could trigger a 'then-krautrock-isnt-prog!-why-are-they-here!?' thread!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:17

Front 242 are progressive?

Yes, but not prog. You really don't know the difference, do you?

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:18

Yes I do but you misunderstand me. I said 'Front 242 are progressive' because I haven't heard them.

Trust me, if anyone knows the difference around here, I certainly do Test me!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:20

Yes I do but you misunderstand me. I said 'Front 242 are progressive' because I haven't heard them.

Trust me, if anyone knows the difference around here, I certainly do Test me!

If you know the difference, then why were you so sure about Leftfield?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>