FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg and Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 07:53
A very interesting question; I love the discussion that's going on.

The only prog song about driving that really comes to mind is Khan's "Driving to Amsterdam" from "Space Shanty".
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 10:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But contrary to many other Western European countries, Netherlands is still putting billions in extending its highway networks or trying to solve permanent trafic jams (Utrecht, Leiden, Rotterdam, etc...). Traffic jams are soooo institutionalized that highways have portiques every 500m (yes, twice a km) for giving indications about safe speed because of traffic density and saturation. In general in other countries, once you get to the end of traffic jam, you see the remnants of the accident that created the jam in the first place and here you rarely/never see an accident (and this is good, of courseSmile) , because it was sheer saturation peaks that caused. 

I didn't know that. I heard Beligium is really bad too. There was a joke circulating recently about efforts to declare Belgium's traffic jams as UNESCO World Heritage Sites LOL

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Living in the Netherlands for the past 11 years, I don't get the impression that society fought back cars because of the "accident and pedestrian deaths" issues. Bikes ruled well before cars appeared and the historical city centre structures were simply not built to accomodate cars, period. 

It's true what you wrote, but that's only part of the story. It's pretty famous and well studied in urban design and planning departments, how the Netherlands was becoming over-run with cars, children were dying, people had enough of pedestrian deaths, strong unions were formed to combat the dominance of cars, and eventually these unions won. It took a monumental struggle and effort by activists to mount a challenge to cars. The history is well studied by advocates for bikable and livable cities, since it's a case study in how to achieve victory over the dominance of cars. Here's a nice overview of that history: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord . 

Edited by jude111 - November 08 2015 at 11:17
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:17
Love this topic as getting my first car get meant freedom and it went hand in hand with listening to Rock music. I live in a tourist town and in the Summer I would drive around the beaches to see and be seen while having the tunes cranked, usually AC/DC, RUSH, BLACK SABBATH, PINK FLOYD and IRON MAIDEN but certainly lots more than that. This was before I knew about Prog and I drove a '79 Trans Am with a four speed tany and Hurst shifter, wide tires on the back, jacked up with Crager rims and an upgraded stereo of course. The times of my life. I still remember the first Prog cd I listened to on my 50 minute drive to work. I didn't know what to expect as I put on "A Change Of Seasons" by DREAM THEATER but quickly was blown away to the point of laughing out loud at what I had discovered. It's rare for me to leave the house without grabbing a Prog cd for the drive. I'm now driving a five speed standard transmission Mazda3, it's a 2008 and a lot of fun.
My favourite way of listening to music will always be while driving my vehicle. That might not be so if I lived in a city but up here in Wasaga Beach it's all very chilled.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:26
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Love this topic as getting my first car get meant freedom and it went hand in hand with listening to Rock music. I live in a tourist town and in the Summer I would drive around the beaches to see and be seen while having the tunes cranked, usually AC/DC, RUSH, BLACK SABBATH, PINK FLOYD and IRON MAIDEN but certainly lots more than that. This was before I knew about Prog and I drove a '79 Trans Am with a four speed tany and Hurst shifter, wide tires on the back, jacked up with Crager rims and an upgraded stereo of course. The times of my life. I still remember the first Prog cd I listened to on my 50 minute drive to work. I didn't know what to expect as I put on "A Change Of Seasons" by DREAM THEATER but quickly was blown away to the point of laughing out loud at what I had discovered. It's rare for me to leave the house without grabbing a Prog cd for the drive. I'm now driving a five speed standard transmission Mazda3, it's a 2008 and a lot of fun.
My favourite way of listening to music will always be while driving my vehicle. That might not be so if I lived in a city but up here in Wasaga Beach it's all very chilled.

I'm really surprised how many said they like this topic. To be honest, I've been thinking about it for years, and entertained the idea of writing a book on it, since I couldn't find anything else written on the subject. (Maybe it's out there and I just haven't found it.) I've written sections here and there, whenever I get the urge...
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I suspect that the (historic) association between Rock and Cars is essentially a coming-of-age or rite-of-passage thing that reflects the youth culture of the day. This was somewhat aspirational since owning a car (or motorcycle) was a symbol of freedom from childhood that went hand-in-hand with ownership of a style of music that was specifically created for (and later by) them. Writing songs about those motor vehicles (or inspired by them) was an inevitability, no different than writing about the school hop or their sweethearts. So the Little Deuce Coup was a status symbol of being a teenager in the 1960s but, like Baby You Can Drive My Car and the car-songs by Marc Bolan, it was also a euphemism for sex (just as the phrase "rock and roll" was).

This does not exist in Progressive Rock because it wasn't a youth-culture per se, when Hawkwind wrote about a silver bicycle or driving along Damnation Alley they were not writing "Car" songs in the same vein as Little Deuce Coup or even Red Barachetta, they were just vehicles in their science fiction based lyrics.

All of that is great that you wrote, especially the sex angle Wink

Car companies really didn't have to write jingles, since so many rock songs themselves were advertisements for cars... 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:53
ApproveBig smile 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

All of that is great that you wrote, especially the sex angle Wink

Well, I thought I'd break with the norm and actually discuss your original question instead of flying off on tangents like everyone else. Wink
What?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 13:27
I was born in 1955, and so I reached legal driving age in the US by age 16, which was 1971.  

Our earlier cars only had AM band radios, and coincidentally, prog bands like ELP, Yes, and Focus began to generate huge AM radio hits in this time period.  "In the Beginning," "Roundabout" and "Hocus Pocus" all had heavy rotation.  Other bands, such as Tull and Flash, had minor AM radio hits.  

In this manner, I believe that the American automobile experience definitely helped to boost the rise of prog.  A bit later on, our cars commonly became equipped with the 8-track cassette music system, which increased access to the music while driving.  

I'm very glad to have experienced it at the age that I was, I have fantastic memories of Yes playing in the largest Chicago venues to enthusiastic crowds.  It was a golden age, the likes of which we probably will never see again.  Lady GaGa sells the biggest venues now.  Pity.

Edited by cstack3 - November 08 2015 at 13:29
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 15:21
We never owned a car when I was growing up (lived in NYC with great public transportation) so the whole romance-of-the-open-road thing for me was restricted to reading Jack Kerouac.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 16:37
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I didn't know that. I heard Beligium is really bad too. There was a joke circulating recently about efforts to declare Belgium's traffic jams as UNESCO World Heritage Sites LOL

f**king Eurocrats AngryLOL

Nothing compared to Dutch files, believe me... Alkmaar - Delft (80km) at morning rush hours: you leave at 7:30 and you're finally at U of Delft at 10AM

However Belgians always love to think all the situations (in all areas) are worse at home than anywhere on the planet, but I cross Brussels (N-S or E-W) during rush hours in 30 mins

Mmmhhh!!!!... True that Belgian highways  have a surface problems, but unlike the Dutch cpunterparts (who have smooth riding suface) their foundations are really solid

Whereas in the NL, there are numerous lengthy section that feel like Russian roller-coaster ride >> you can see on the white lines on the sides of the roads just how uneven and collapsed the foundations are... One can almost believe that they invented elastic tarmac to save face.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 16:45
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I was born in 1955, and so I reached legal driving age in the US by age 16, which was 1971.  

Our earlier cars only had AM band radios, and coincidentally, prog bands like ELP, Yes, and Focus began to generate huge AM radio hits in this time period.  "In the Beginning," "Roundabout" and "Hocus Pocus" all had heavy rotation.  Other bands, such as Tull and Flash, had minor AM radio hits.  

In this manner, I believe that the American automobile experience definitely helped to boost the rise of prog.  A bit later on, our cars commonly became equipped with the 8-track cassette music system, which increased access to the music while driving.  

I'm very glad to have experienced it at the age that I was, I have fantastic memories of Yes playing in the largest Chicago venues to enthusiastic crowds.  It was a golden age, the likes of which we probably will never see again.  Lady GaGa sells the biggest venues now.  Pity.

I have shared a few times Yes Roundabout youtube vid to fb, each time I dedicated it to the People of Milton Keynes Big smile a friend of mine lives there and they have so many roundabouts Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 17:37
Playing Red Barchetta when howling round Croft racing circuit at 150mph in an open top TVR is probably the best experience you can have fully clothed.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 18:06
My first car was a red '65 VW with a Craig Pioneer 4-track tape deck and four speakers.
Since surf music and hot rod music were closely related my memories of cars and music would be I Get Around by The Beach Boys, Dead Man's Curve, Little GTO, etc.
A little before Prog though.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 18:50
I had a '65 Lincoln with suicide doors in the back. I could fit about 10 people in there. I put in a Pioneer Supertuner 8-track (it had a round radio dial if I recall correctly) with Jensen speakers. My god, was that boat fun to drive around.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 11:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 11:21
..Yugo sometime, and sometimes you don't.

Q: Why do Yugo's have heated rear windows?
A: To keep your hands warm when pushing them.

Q: How do you double the value of a Yugo?
A: Put a litre of petrol in the tank.

Q: How do you get a speeding ticket in a Yugo
A: With a tow-truck

All Yugos come with anti-theft devices as standard - you have to pay extra to have them de-badged.

What?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 17:35
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

We never owned a car when I was growing up (lived in NYC with great public transportation) so the whole romance-of-the-open-road thing for me was restricted to reading Jack Kerouac.

Great point about Kerouac. No self-respecting rocker was without a worn-out copy of On the Road, especially in the US! Wink

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

My first car was a red '65 VW with a Craig Pioneer 4-track tape deck and four speakers.
Since surf music and hot rod music were closely related my memories of cars and music would be I Get Around by The Beach Boys, Dead Man's Curve, Little GTO, etc.
A little before Prog though.

I've often thought how funny that is. We think of the Beach Boys as surf music, yet so many of their songs are actually about driving to the beach LOL

Edited by jude111 - November 09 2015 at 17:41
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 18:08
When it comes to cars, I'm with Mark K as prog and cars don't mix.

Just ask Deep Purple.

Edited by RayRo - November 09 2015 at 18:33
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 23:32
Nacionalna klasa do 785 kubika ("National Class Category Up To 785cc") 1979 movie & soundtrack, feat. Dado Topić (ex-Time)

Edited by Svetonio - November 09 2015 at 23:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 08:32
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

This works when driving in the vastness of Wyoming under the Big Sky

Neil Young

That's a really nice tune and that first Young album is unique ....one of my favorites from him and he never did another quite like that one.

Regarding prog and cars..I never really noticed any connection.
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>