42 [47.73%]
9 [10.23%]
14 [15.91%]
18 [20.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 09:31
Focus

just beats out

Triumvirat

followed by

Camel

for me
Prog On!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:28
Any other band than Camel.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:29
In this group? Camel!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:32
I like all 5, but I love Greenslade - my vote
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:51
Normally, I would vote for either Camel or Renaissance, but I am currently listening to Best of Focus: Hocus Pocus and am totally digging it, so why not?  You got to live in the moment sometimes.  The only one here I don't get much into is Greenslade.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 12:19
Focus
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 15:58
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Any other band than Camel is a waste of listening time.

I heartily agree. I'm sure that's what you really meant.

Edited by Hercules - November 10 2015 at 15:59
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
MusicFreak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 16:15
Polls are always good for synthetic replies:

Camel - with few exceptions it's mostly boring music.
Triumvirat, Renaissance and something of Focus are the only music I care for here, the rest is a mere waste of listening time.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 16:27
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Nice way of altering Baldfried's comment!

Oh, and complete and utter effing nonsense!

Three other superb symphonic groups each with plenty of amazing albums in their collection....and one (Greenslade) with some cool moments here and there, and one or two decent albums.

My vote would probably go to Renaissance here, as they have the most consistent run of very strong albums - seven studio and one live. The poorest stuff off `Azure D'Or' is still far superior to garbage like `Neon Magic' and `Remote Romance' from Camel's `I Can See Your House...'

(mind you, those first five Camel albums are pretty much unbeatable).
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 16:58
Camel has always been my favorite of the "classic" prog bands. Easy vote.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 17:37
Camel
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 18:15
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nice way of altering Baldfried's comment!

Oh, and complete and utter effing nonsense!

Three other superb symphonic groups each with plenty of amazing albums in their collection....and one (Greenslade) with some cool moments here and there, and one or two decent albums.

My vote would probably go to Renaissance here, as they have the most consistent run of very strong albums - seven studio and one live. The poorest stuff off `Azure D'Or' is still far superior to garbage like `Neon Magic' and `Remote Romance' from Camel's `I Can See Your House...'

(mind you, those first five Camel albums are pretty much unbeatable).

Please don't remind me of those abominations. Or The Single Factor.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 18:20

Please don't remind me of those abominations. Or The Single Factor.

I've actually found `The Single Factor' has kind of improved over the years, have you not? I know you're a massive Camel obsessive, so I wondered if you especially might have been a bit more forgiving of it! Tracks like `Sasquatch', `Selva' are rather decent to my ears!

Make no mistake, it's still far and away their weakest album, but I don't find it completely without merit!

Actually, I'll be honest, I have NEVER heard `Dust and Dreams'. It's the only Camel album in all my years of collecting, of attending record fairs, etc, that I have simply never come across on either LP or CD, never even heard it at all. I really should just get it from an online vendor and have it shipped over.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Camel, with Renaissance a very close second.
This
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 13:37
The single factor is poor and I think that also Pressure Point (the live) is quite bad. Anyway Every band had poor outputs in the 80s. Magma have Merci, Renaissance have Camera Camera, ELP have Love Beach...but Camel resurrected quickly with Stationary Traveller that even if dated in terms of sound, is a great album. The others took more and some didn't resurrect at all. 
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 14:18
Camel, just over Renaissance.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 15:45
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The single factor is poor and I think that also Pressure Point (the live) is quite bad. Anyway Every band had poor outputs in the 80s. Magma have Merci, Renaissance have Camera Camera, ELP have Love Beach...but Camel resurrected quickly with Stationary Traveller that even if dated in terms of sound, is a great album. The others took more and some didn't resurrect at all. 

I actually love Pressure Points.  For years it was the only way to hear the title cut the way it was meant to be heard.  It also covers a lot of career highpoints, with great versions of "Wait", "Sasquatch", "Rhayader", etc, not to mention "West Berlin" and "Fingertips".  Stationary Traveller is an awesome album with not a bum note
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 15:53

Any other band than Camel.

amen sister.. nice to see you back around here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 15:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I actually love Pressure Points.  For years it was the only way to hear the title cut the way it was meant to be heard.  It also covers a lot of career highpoints, with great versions of "Wait", "Sasquatch", "Rhayader", etc, not to mention "West Berlin" and "Fingertips".  Stationary Traveller is an awesome album with not a bum note
What I don't like on Pressure point is first of all the fretless bass solo on the title track. It was probably, as you say, how it was originally intended but to me it sounds "forced". Fretless bass was fashionable in the 80s. I don't like the vocals on fingertips. The studio version is really better. Of course the excerpt from Snow Goose is great, also because is the last appearance of Peter Bardens with Camel, but it doesn't add anything to the studio version or even to A Live Record. I should have written in my review years ago, that this is absolutely not the right album to approach Camel for the first time. Even if it contains some of their highpoints, imagine the impression that it could give to somebody who has never listened to Camel before. 
The best track on it is for me "Drafted" with Latimer playing the part reserved to Mel Collins' sax on the studio version on his guitar.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 15:56
^^ Nice to see you too Thumbs Up

Never heard Greenslade so no vote.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>