Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello everybody!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 12:45
Originally posted by KimberlyPierre KimberlyPierre wrote:

Ayreon is really good! What genre of music do you mostly listen too? What's your favorite band?
Normally my problem with Prog Metal is the lenght of the albums but despite Ayreon also doing long albums I find them surprisingly easy to listen to.
I listen to a lot of different genres, even not Prog but I'd say I listen mostly to Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Electronic and Symphonic Prog.
If I can only choose one band it has to be Pink Floyd. Even though I already knew a few tracks before (mainly from The Wall which I still don't like much), when I heard "Echoes" I fell in love with their music and began my Prog pilgrimage.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 15:06
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

^Nobody has ever gotten so many comments on just a welcome thread! LOL
Must be a warm welcome Wink
No, it's the grandparent in all most of us. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 15:31

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahaha.. don't worry about it darling.. all it takes these days is a good look in the mirror to feel old. Just teasing you.  Hope you enjoy the site. I've been here a long time, met a lot of great people, and more than that. Discovered a lot of great music.  Get involved.. jump into discussions. You'll find everyone quite welcoming and tripping over themselves to make you feel welcome.. and also turn you on to some great music.
Thank you Embarrassed.
I'm enjoying this site already! <3
I'm just kind of nervous, you know? Would anyone even want to talk to me? (You and Atavachron are an exception Wink)
I mean, it's really scary meeting new people, though it's kinda preposterous, seeing as this is an online site, but, it was real nice of you to tell me these things. Thank you!

as you can see... plenty of people.  David and I are the unofficial 'good cop/bad cop' welcoming committee here so we generally welcome everyone even neo-prog fans LOL

It is quite scary to meet new people... you ain't kidding sista.. but the internet is liberating.. in real life I am an extremely shy person whose extroverted side only comes out when pumped full of alcohol as i was prone to do 7 days a week when younger or when I log onto the internet as I do now as I'm older and my ass has started to sag and I'm not the hot number I used to be. LOL 

Seriously though I meant what I said, there are a lot of good people here.  There are a few a****les, like me at times (just wait till you find my DT review LOL) but even then they are harmless.. you can ignore them easily.

Edited by micky - April 13 2016 at 15:32
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
KimberlyPierre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 17:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Normally my problem with Prog Metal is the lenght of the albums but despite Ayreon also doing long albums I find them surprisingly easy to listen to.
I listen to a lot of different genres, even not Prog but I'd say I listen mostly to Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Electronic and Symphonic Prog.
If I can only choose one band it has to be Pink Floyd. Even though I already knew a few tracks before (mainly from The Wall which I still don't like much), when I heard "Echoes" I fell in love with their music and began my Prog pilgrimage.

That's awesome! And yeah, I can see why length is a problem. Honestly, I prefer lengthy songs over short songs, that is why I love Dream Theater, Haken, Opeth, etc.

Oh wow, first time I've heard of Psychedelic Rock. Is it good? And Pink Floyd huh? Never heard of them, but are they good?

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

as you can see... plenty of people.  David and I are the unofficial 'good cop/bad cop' welcoming committee here so we generally welcome everyone even neo-prog fans LOL

It is quite scary to meet new people... you ain't kidding sista.. but the internet is liberating.. in real life I am an extremely shy person whose extroverted side only comes out when pumped full of alcohol as i was prone to do 7 days a week when younger or when I log onto the internet as I do now as I'm older and my ass has started to sag and I'm not the hot number I used to be. LOL 

Seriously though I meant what I said, there are a lot of good people here.  There are a few a****les, like me at times (just wait till you find my DT review LOL) but even then they are harmless.. you can ignore them easily.

I'm assuming JD is David? What's up with neo prog?
And I agree, the Internet is the only place in where I'm remotely comfortable in exposing myself to everyone. I don't care about those kind of people actually, I think everyone is really nice...so far (XD)
"There is a sacredness in tears. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."
-Washington Irving
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 17:55
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

What do you exactly mean? Sorry, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
"There is a sacredness in tears. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."
-Washington Irving
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 20:57

I'm assuming JD is David?
Like Rocket says in Guardians of the galaxy "Ain't no thing like me, except me." JD is me and David is he, fear not padawan, you'll get to know us as time marches on.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 21:01

What do you exactly mean? Sorry, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
I mean as a Quinquagenarian, if I had grand kids (I don't, my son is 24 and still in university) I would always look out for them and make them feel welcome, something Micky eluded to...sort of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 23:52
Thanks JD. Greatly appreciate it!! 😙
-Washington Irving
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 00:35

I'm assuming JD is David? What's up with neo prog?
And I agree, the Internet is the only place in where I'm remotely comfortable in exposing myself to everyone. I don't care about those kind of people actually, I think everyone is really nice...so far (XD)

Oh some people are so annoying- using other names than their username. Only the die hard regs here know everyone's real name... (Me I'm just Pascal btw)

And yeah, neo-prog is always the genre everyone kinda hates. It's because it's as good as 70's prog, only a better sound; but it's not made in the 70's so it's not progressive.

You'll get used to the forum in no time!
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 10:14

And I looked up Rodney Dangerfield. Is he the standup comedian guy?

That's the comment that made me feel old, that you had to look up Rodney Dangerfield.

Prog fans (and this website) tend to be predominately male but there are other girls/women who love prog. I started listening to Yes, etc. when I was 15 (many, many, many years ago).  Welcome to the site!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:28
*spits beer on monitor* I missed that.  That would have made me feel old.

Well..take that..  CLASSIC!!!!

women prog fans? There are quite a few actually.. we see more than one might think at many of the shows we go to. 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:50
or this...classic!!!! LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:50
Im happy to be a prog fan. I broke free from the bondages of pop hell. :))
-Washington Irving
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:53
pop hell?  oh no... don't fall into that trap.

There is as much sh*tty prog out there as good prog. Same with pop...

what sets prog apart is the best of prog rock is probably the best you will find in music.. but as David once wisely noted. There is nothing... NOTHING as bad as bad prog.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:57

Oh wow, first time I've heard of Psychedelic Rock. Is it good? And Pink Floyd huh? Never heard of them, but are they good?

Heck yeah they are. If you like concept albums you should check them out. They were the band that got me into prog back in high school (now I'm feeling old LOL).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:59
Oh :(
I didn't know that. Sorry.
Care to tell me some bad prog?
-Washington Irving
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 17:00
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

That's the comment that made me feel old, that you had to look up Rodney Dangerfield.

Prog fans (and this website) tend to be predominately male but there are other girls/women who love prog. I started listening to Yes, etc. when I was 15 (many, many, many years ago).  Welcome to the site!
Ah Terri...you missed a few many's. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 17:01
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

<span style="line-height: 18.2px;">Oh wow, first time I've heard of Psychedelic Rock. Is it good? And Pink Floyd huh? Never heard of them, but are they good?</span>

Heck yeah they are. If you like concept albums you should check them out. They were the band that got me into prog back in high school (now I'm feeling old LOL).

Your only 12 Years older than me!
Oh.
-Washington Irving
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 17:03

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Ah Terri...you missed a few many's. Wink

:)
Thank you!
When I have kids, I'll make sure they get full exposure to prog :)
-Washington Irving
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 17:03

Oh :(
I didn't know that. Sorry.
Care to tell me some bad prog?
Love Beach by ELP. Someone had to get it out first. BTW they are my favourite band. Some great bands have made some stinker albums and some stinker bands have made some awesome albums. The music world is weird. Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>