Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles' Influence on Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 22:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Beatles' influence on Prog? Overstated, understated or just about right?

Some believe that Prog would never have existed if not for the Beatles, while other's claim no effect on artists like early Genesis. "What does Peter Gabriel have to do with John Lennon?" I once heard someone say. So what's the deal?

I think it's underrated. I can name many early prog rock acts that weren't influenced by The Beach Boys or Frank Zappa. But how many early prog acts can you seriously say that were not influenced by one aspect of The Beatles music from any album from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road? 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 22:52
For those who are even tenuously involved with the music industry in whatever capacity and would profess to NOT being influenced by the Beatles, it might just be time for a career change?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 03:09
Let's make the distinction between "the Beatles' influence on (progressive) pop and the Beatles' influence on prog rock. Two different subjects. 

Here's another question. Did the Beatles create or merely reflect the changing social landscape of the 1960's ? Can it be argued that there was a general anti-establishment reaction by some members of the general public which had been going on since the Beat years which resulted in a change in the musical (and political) landscape ? Did the Beatles actually create this - no - or reflect it - yes ? 

In which case, the Beatles' influence on progressive pop is also minimised. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 07:23
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Here's another question. Did the Beatles create or merely reflect the changing social landscape of the 1960's ? Can it be argued that there was a general anti-establishment reaction by some members of the general public which had been going on since the Beat years which resulted in a change in the musical (and political) landscape ? Did the Beatles actually create this - no - or reflect it - yes ? 

Hmm. As Dylan remarked in song prior to the Beatle's influence on pop culture, "The times they were a-changing." And so, they were. The Beatles, especially Lennon, were heavily influenced by Dylan's introspective and observational lyrics. Dylan even turned on the Beatles to pot. Another influence with manifold results.

The Beatles were heavily influential on pop culture after that in a zeitgeist induced back and forth with their generation. One need not start up the train before opening up the throttle. And I believe that applies to the Beatles. No artists exist in a vacuum, even the Beatles.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 07:58

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Hmm. As Dylan remarked in song prior to the Beatle's influence on pop culture, "The times they were a-changing." And so, they were. The Beatles, especially Lennon, were heavily influenced by Dylan's introspective and observational lyrics. Dylan even turned on the Beatles to pot. Another influence with manifold results.

The Beatles were heavily influential on pop culture after that in a zeitgeist induced back and forth with their generation. One need not start up the train before opening up the throttle. And I believe that applies to the Beatles. No artists exist in a vacuum, even the Beatles.

Would a Dylan song released in 1964 be considered 'prior to the Beatles influence on progressive pop' if their 1963 debut album charted at No 1 in most first world countries? I agree that Lennon in particular was influenced by the hitherto unprecedented literary and 'adult' orientation of Dylan's lyrics but it's called 'dope' for a reason and anyone stuck beside a 'transcendentalist who inhales' at a party will testify that the 'manifold results' require acres of goodwill and patience
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 09:08
You've answered your own question Iain, by referring to progressive pop which was not what the album's Please Please Me, With The Beatles (or Meet The Beatles as it was called in the US), A Hard Day's Night and Help! had to offer. A No. 1 album is also not prerequisite for influencing pop culture. 

Manifold results allude to the good as well as bad aspects of drugs, depending on one's personal view. Your's has been duly noted. 

Edited by SteveG - May 20 2017 at 09:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 09:45

You've answered your own question Iain, by referring to progressive pop which was not what the album's Please Please Me, With The Beatles (or Meet The Beatles as it was called in the US), A Hard Day's Night and Help! had to offer. A No. 1 album is also not prerequisite for influencing pop culture. 

Manifold results allude to the good as well as bad aspects of drugs, depending on one's personal view. Your's has been duly noted. 

Perhaps those albums you cite would not meet our current requirements as 'progressive pop' but the inception of the self-contained rock band, writing their own hits and playing their own instruments was unprecedented and not merely progressive but revolutionary for 1963. Being popular is the only requirement for influencing pop culture.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 09:51
Progressive pop came about circa 1965. Including Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, et al. 

The Beatles being popular to hysterical pubescent girls is not what I consider to be an influence on pop culture as a whole, but who am I to say? 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 10:10
but it's called 'dope' for a reason and anyone stuck beside a 'transcendentalist who inhales' at a party will testify that the 'manifold results' require acres of goodwill and patience

You might want to read up on the evolution of the word "dope".
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 12:13
Yes, The Beatles influenced Prog. Next question, please.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 16:35
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

but it's called 'dope' for a reason and anyone stuck beside a 'transcendentalist who inhales' at a party will testify that the 'manifold results' require acres of goodwill and patience

You might want to read up on the evolution of the word "dope".

Does it lead to a memory loss thang maaanQUOTE What was I saying again....? UNQUOTE.
Why am I hungry?
 LOLLOLLOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cf6vaft-hG4/T9eEIaG0bkI/AAAAAAAAB6A/aK2D58KJnyM/s1600/ass-handed-on-platter.jpg

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 20 2017 at 16:49
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 17:40
Trolling here
Dope is : a) a brand of adhesive
               b) nick-name for marijuana
               c) colloquially, a stupid person
I've never known it to mean something that's 'cool'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 03:50
Dope in the modern vernacular does mean cool such as "Those new Ferraris are dope!"

But I've always found that those that couldn't handle weed usually had under lying psychological problems and found it was best for them to stay away from it and to just let them rant about it's evils.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 04:47

Dope in the modern vernacular does mean cool such as "Those new Ferraris are dope!"

But I've always found that those that couldn't handle weed usually had under lying psychological problems and found it was best for them to stay away from it and to just let them rant about it's evils.

That same modern vernacular that has 'bad' and 'totally sick' meaning 'good' will never stand up to even the flimsiest scrutiny it seems. I've certainly never enjoyed smoking pot but don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do unless it turns the user into a stupefied clueless imbecile, and sometimes you don't even need an external agent for that to occur. We seem to have veered off topic however, as though some of us are having difficulty concentrating? Thumbs Up
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 04:54
The Beatles were a big influence on everything, but they were not the only influence. Ian McDonald said King Crimson took their cue from Sergeant Pepper and Pet Sounds. Bill Bruford said Jon Anderson wanted Yes to be the Fifth Dimension.

There was cross-pollination, as you can hear The Beatles absorbing influences on Abbey Road, such as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, The Byrds, The Beach Boys and probably others I've missed.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 07:26
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

That same modern vernacular that has 'bad' and 'totally sick' meaning 'good' will never stand up to even the flimsiest scrutiny it seems. I've certainly never enjoyed smoking pot but don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do unless it turns the user into a stupefied clueless imbecile, and sometimes you don't even need an external agent for that to occur. We seem to have veered off topic however, as though some of us are having difficulty concentrating? Thumbs Up
Fortunately, modern slang does not hang around too long. I feel that discussing weed along with the worlds most famous psychedelic album seems related as one would not have existed without the other.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 08:14
Immense, bien sûr.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 08:18

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Fortunately, modern slang does not hang around too long. I feel that discussing weed along with the worlds most famous psychedelic album seems related as one would not have existed without the other.

Aye, there's the rub. Unlike Bill Hicks and other considerably less cherished hippies, I don't hold that drugs enhance or even facilitate the creative process. Despite its 'trippy' production facade (and let's remember Lennon didn't even consider it a 'concept' album), Sgt Pepper obeys the same time honoured aesthetic criteria that has held sway for every conceivable strand of song based popular music before or since i.e. if the old grey doorman can whistle the tune, it's gonna be popular. Many will of course point towards Within You Without You or the subsequent experimentation of something like Revolution No 9  from the White Album as evidence of mind altering substances opening hitherto closed doors, but wise up, you're now in the realm of the dilettante avant-garde a.k.a. theatre ponces pretending they can't read.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 10:02
This is quite subjective Iain, but the Beatles were trying to reproduce sounds that they claim to have experienced while high, along with creating sounds that would also enhance being high. Avant-pot, if you will.

Edited by SteveG - May 22 2017 at 10:04
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:22
I would say it's pretty significant. They certainly laid the foundation for what was to come & had an early influence on a lot of prog artists. I have head Jon Anderson & Phil Collins among others talk about The Beatles influence in them as young musicians.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>