FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's happening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 08:08
When the next Dream theater album gets 6 reviews in 2 weeks then you can start planning PA's funeral. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 08:42
^  :)  Using typed version of smiling emoticons as I get captcha'ed on anything with graphics...

Speaking of which, since the Waters album reviews (or lack there of) sparked this thread, I think David Gilmour has inserted the captcha virus into the PA website to prevent reviews of Waters new album!   Rattle the Waters....
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 08:53
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I blame the immigrants...

Coming over here, and not writing album reviews...

***** me Ouch

I don't know what your response means, but if you are offended I apologise. It was meant as a joke. I was sending up a running joke in the UK, that thick people tend to blame immigrants for all of societies problems.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 09:20
I'm surprised anyone takes Waters that seriously any more. Everything i heard sounds like B-sides from 70s Floyd singles and a lot of prog fans wouldn't even consider Pink Floyd prog in the first place. So no, prog is not dead. It's just that infinately more interesting groups exist and have always existed that blow Waters away. Personally i find his albums a tad boring.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 09:24
Prog is coming back in fact. When Gentle Giant released their Steven Wilson remasters last year, OCTOPUS actually hit the top 40 album charts, so good prog that didn't quite make the first time around is finally getting its just dessert. Last year was the first year that OLD music officially outsold NEW music. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 11:10
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm surprised anyone takes Waters that seriously any more. Everything i heard sounds like B-sides from 70s Floyd singles and a lot of prog fans wouldn't even consider Pink Floyd prog in the first place. So no, prog is not dead. It's just that infinately more interesting groups exist and have always existed that blow Waters away. Personally i find his albums a tad boring.

This.....Only correction for me is all his albums are boring, he is not an excitable person in general. I get the impression he feels everyone (Gilmour) is out to get him.
Maybe if he wrote music for other artists he might get some appreciation. I am sure more reviews will be posted, but I for one am not holding my breath. A lot of marketing hoopla for a pretty blahh record.

I doubt any of us would skip a beat if he never did anything again.....
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 12:10
I don't think rock is dead, but I'm sure if I listened to the new Roger Waters solo album I might think so.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 12:14
The first review was mine Big smile. I'm not prog at all.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 12:35
I purchased it last week, and listened for the first time on Saturday. I will give it a few more listens before reviewing it, but my first impression is....okay, sort of....meh.....

I think it is an album which demands a few listens before forming a definitive opinion.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 13:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A new Roger Waters album is comparable to a new Robert Plant album. Both were huge with their respective bands but on their own they never managed to pull in the same crowds...unless they cheat and do Floyd and Zep classics.

That works....Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 15:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This.....Only correction for me is all his albums are boring, he is not an excitable person in general. I get the impression he feels everyone (Gilmour) is out to get him.
Maybe if he wrote music for other artists he might get some appreciation. I am sure more reviews will be posted, but I for one am not holding my breath. A lot of marketing hoopla for a pretty blahh record.

I doubt any of us would skip a beat if he never did anything again.....

Exactly. Waters, Gilmour, Plant, Page and all the greats were great members of a team but once they have a total musical dictatorship of the production and product, they just don't have enough musical mojo to stand out on their own. Waters has been skirting on the Floyd think for all his solo albums. I would like to hear something that sounds original and that would probably require working with other musicians who have nothing to do with space rock. As a person i respect him immensely and Pink Floyd is obviously one of the best bands ever whether you deem them prog, prog lite or just art rock

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 23:50
Big smileBig smile

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 07:17
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 23:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A new Roger Waters album is comparable to a new Robert Plant album. Both were huge with their respective bands but on their own they never managed to pull in the same crowds...unless they cheat and do Floyd and Zep classics.

That works....Smile

I don't think it works at all. Plant's been quite prolific. On the other hand, Waters hasn't released an album in 25 years. And when he releases his best album since 1979, it's met with a collective yawn.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 00:36
You are starting to sound like you are not really as convinced of the album's value as you thought. Is its popularity a deal breaker? Like 3 people enjoy my favorite albums. Who cares? I don't run around acting like the world has a big character flaw because they love Steve Wilson or BigBig Train instead of my favs. 

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 00:39

As a matter of fact, just talked to a buddy of mine who saw RW a couple nights ago. Said it was 3 songs from the new album and the rest was mainly from The Wall and Animals.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 07:19
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

You are starting to sound like you are not really as convinced of the album's value as you thought. Is its popularity a deal breaker? Like 3 people enjoy my favorite albums. Who cares? I don't run around acting like the world has a big character flaw because they love Steve Wilson or BigBig Train instead of my favs. 

It's not even about that. I don't care if people love it or not. It's the apathy that I'm commenting on. At one time, even a bad Roger Waters album would have had like 50 reviews in the first two weeks. At one time, a Roger Waters album was major news, and the buzz was huge. He's a major figure from prog's most iconic and loved band (two of whom have already passed away), a founding father in the pantheon of prog. He hasn't released an album in 25 years, and at his pace, this one is likely to be his last.

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 07:26
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 10:11
Let me get this straight: The last Waters album, released, as you say, 25 years ago, got 50 reviews in the first 2 weeks on a website that is 14 years old. 

Apply some perspective. Look at the top 100 albums on PA. The first solo artist of the band's in the top 25 is Peter HammIl at number 49. Not even Peter Gabriel shows up. Really, you are completely overstating Waters relevance as a solo act. And really, any solo artist outside of their groups as far as this archive is or ever has been concerned

But if it will make you feel like we are less apathetic, I will post my 2 star review of the album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 10:44
^ good point. It very well could be that there aren't more revieiws is because no one really likes the album and out of respect for the artist at hand choose simply not to write one instead of share any negative impressions. I have friends who have also seen him and he plays more Floyd classics than his own material WHICH by the way sounds too much to his ties with the great Pinksters. Too many new relevant artists to get excited about a solo album by an artist who really hasn't done anything tremendously exciting since The Wall IMHO

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 10:47
Smile

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 11:59
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 11:51
Bottom line is this new album will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of music and really any connection to Pink Floyd.
After listening to the Floyd, I doubt anybody will then listen to Waters solo efforts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>