Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat does it take to make a prog band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 09:46
Well said moshkito: "A question like the one on the OP is a bit scary, because all it shows is a lack of consideration, and appreciation for all the music that has been for hundreds and hundreds of years, and how in and of itself, it was all a "progression" on what was there before, just as the jazz thing in the late 60's and rock at the same time, helped define new music ... and something that we are having a hard time defining, without trying to plunk it into a definition ... so a few folks can find it ... and they will never buy it anyway! Maybe when they are 55 or later, they will "discover" some new old music, and realize that it's history is literally insane ... and beautiful altogether!"

There is a whole appreciation and development that occurs simply in listening to music. That's the part where one does listen to what others have done, and either enjoys the music on a purely sensory level (taking in the moods of the music and the emotions that can come out of it on the receiving end), or actively notes the unusual and innovative approaches that others have taken. You can see where others struck new ground and viewed/approached music in a pioneering way, and be open to finding your own new and unique ways to contribute, without specifically copying others.

And as a musician, as mentioned previously by SteveG, just jamming with others and not focusing on any particular sound, is a great starting point. If the members are open and using a blank slate approach, the music that comes out will be truly from the musicians, and the most genuine "stew" mixture of the band members. Oftentimes that can provide the basic "platform" for what the band might sound like. And if the members continue that approach, as they grow individually and collectively, the sound will likely grow and change too, but it will still be real and close to the heart of the band members and group overall.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 27 2017 at 09:50
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 00:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Prodigious musicianship, frankly.

THIS!
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 03:31
The passion to play music.

Without that, you could have everything it takes, and sound like "10,000 Days" by Tool.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Prodigious musicianship, frankly.

THIS!

Roger Waters
Nick Mason
Mick Pointer
Frank Bornemann (vocals)
The list goes on.

I'd say a prodigious imagination and the mindset and capability to transform such into music. Can certainly be done by less than prodigious musicians. Some of the most boring and inane musicians out there are technical deities...yet they have zero imagination outside of the technical aspects of their instrument. Practice is of course the backbone of any musician but it can also lead to a stifling box, where everything has to be 'perfect' and metronomically correct. Sorta like a sonic version of the ingeneer's wet dream. Great on paper and fantastic to the few other such technical players out there...but excrutiatingly boring to people that don't care about the level of difficulty and why it should matter.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 28 2017 at 06:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 15:42
Going beyond just making 3 minutes songs for radio airplay. That's what motivated Fripp and co.
To some extent it's just being rebellious otherwise you are just copying or treading familiar territory.
I always think that a combination of talent and arrogance also goes a long way. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 15:57
Essential:
Four+ guys with musical chops and a high opinion of same
Dubious dress sense
At least one of: double-neck guitar, mellotron, mellotron patch on iPad, proper analogue synth, big red Nord keyboard
Collection of well-thumbed inspirational paperbacks (e.g. Tolkien, Michael Moorcock, Robert M. Pirsig, Erich von Daniken, Buddhism for Dummies, Ayn Rand)

Nice to have:
Beards
No access to hairstyling services
Flute / bassoon / crumhorn 
Thesaurus

Edited by Mascodagama - September 28 2017 at 16:02
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 16:51
You can check out my one-man prog-band with a free album that took about a year to make (in my signature)
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 19:45
ideas. and ideas. oh, and did I mention ideas? and by "ideas" I mean OWN ideas, not something that has been done a thousand times before

Edited by BaldJean - September 29 2017 at 01:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 21:39
At least a good grounding in music theory. Just to be able to break out of the pop structures. 
-John
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 21:54
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

At least a good grounding in music theory. Just to be able to break out of the pop structures. 

On the other hand, an absolute lack of music theory knowledge can result in quite unconventional and unique tonalities/harmonies.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 15:08
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

You can check out my one-man prog-band with a free album that took about a year to make (in my signature)

I totally agree. I've created plenty of one-man and two-man band stuff that's progressive and sounds like any other "full" band. You'd never know the difference. I even have one album with imaginary band members as the other 4 guys, to make it look more typical, just for fun and in jest.

The magic and majesty of multitrack recording, in action.

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

On the other hand, an absolute lack of music theory knowledge can result in quite unconventional and unique tonalities/harmonies.

Absolutely. Fripp has a lot to say about that. The free and open musician should seek to be "innocent" and free of expectations, etc. For example, that "improperly" tuned guitar, could be "wrong" or ready to find new territory. That's just one tiny example.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 29 2017 at 15:17
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 15:46
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Essential:

I completely DISAGREE. None of us, for the most part, had enough, if any musical learning BEFORE we became full fledged adults, and this gave rise to a lot of rock music, although some historians prefer to consider this "popular music", not necessarily a proponent of the culture and music history. However, jazz and other forms have blown that theory out the window in my estimation.

You could say, at that moment that we're putting aside "history", and having a go at creating something that is not considered "musical" (ie. created via staff and notes!), but its inclusion becomes musical and enjoyable. I think we need to go look for chops in FAUST! That would be a lot of fun!

It's not the "chops" that make it ... since some folks may have had a disability they went around, and that became a "chop", and others were simply experimenting when something clicked ... so you think Syd Barrett was all about chops? NO ... it's not the chops ... its the artistic view and desire to do something, that they SEE and you don't. This, becomes a "chop" (to use your term) but is not what music is really about ... it's about how it was integrated into the music. So now, the plink, plunk, plonk he did in a famous "space rock" piece of music, is now considered something that it isn't ... it was a mere experimentation that FIT the music working by his mates, and it became famous because of it.

That is, in musical terms, the idea of folks merely putting aside the "definition of music" (or in this case the definition of prog/progressive) because what was being created sounded better and felt way better than "regular music".

If all music is "chops", then go and get your degree at the University of Hard Knocks, and see where it will get your education real quick!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 17:05
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

I totally agree. I've created plenty of one-man and two-man band stuff that's progressive and sounds like any other "full" band. You'd never know the difference. I even have one album with imaginary band members as the other 4 guys, to make it look more typical, just for fun and in jest.

The magic and majesty of multitrack recording, in action.

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Absolutely. Fripp has a lot to say about that. The free and open musician should seek to be "innocent" and free of expectations, etc. For example, that "improperly" tuned guitar, could be "wrong" or ready to find new territory. That's just one tiny example.

Yeah, I'm so happy to live in this day and age where music production and multi tracking can completely take place in your home, where you aren't spending thousands on equipment.. it's truly something amazing, and honestly inspiring when there's literally no limitations. And yet still so many bands today still make music that doesn't feel honest, when it's easier than ever. Perhaps it's the obstacles that make truly ambitious music (Brazil in the 70's).

Your music projects sound very interesting, I think of Residents with you having jest band members. I never liked playing guitar as a kid because it was one instrument, and now it's possible to play a thousand through modern technology for cheap. I never wanted to make music till i saw the possibilities, it's truly something to marvel over, and I'm proud to live in this century mostly for that fact :P
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 17:07
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

you don't need that at all to break out of the pop structures

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 17:47

Essential:
Dubious dress sense
At least one of: double-neck guitar, mellotron, mellotron patch on iPad, proper analogue synth, big red Nord keyboard
Collection of well-thumbed inspirational paperbacks (e.g. Tolkien, Michael Moorcock, Robert M. Pirsig, Erich von Daniken, Buddhism for Dummies, Ayn Rand)

Nice to have:
Beards
No access to hairstyling services
Flute / bassoon / crumhorn 
Thesaurus

LOLThumbs Up
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 19:28
Denouncing sex
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 02:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Essential:

I completely DISAGREE. None of us, for the most part, had enough, if any musical learning BEFORE we became full fledged adults, and this gave rise to a lot of rock music, although some historians prefer to consider this "popular music", not necessarily a proponent of the culture and music history. However, jazz and other forms have blown that theory out the window in my estimation.

You could say, at that moment that we're putting aside "history", and having a go at creating something that is not considered "musical" (ie. created via staff and notes!), but its inclusion becomes musical and enjoyable. I think we need to go look for chops in FAUST! That would be a lot of fun!

It's not the "chops" that make it ... since some folks may have had a disability they went around, and that became a "chop", and others were simply experimenting when something clicked ... so you think Syd Barrett was all about chops? NO ... it's not the chops ... its the artistic view and desire to do something, that they SEE and you don't. This, becomes a "chop" (to use your term) but is not what music is really about ... it's about how it was integrated into the music. So now, the plink, plunk, plonk he did in a famous "space rock" piece of music, is now considered something that it isn't ... it was a mere experimentation that FIT the music working by his mates, and it became famous because of it.

That is, in musical terms, the idea of folks merely putting aside the "definition of music" (or in this case the definition of prog/progressive) because what was being created sounded better and felt way better than "regular music".

If all music is "chops", then go and get your degree at the University of Hard Knocks, and see where it will get your education real quick!

The post you're replying to was just intended to raise a smile - a joke. Apparently not a very good one though.

Edited by Mascodagama - September 30 2017 at 02:39
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12