Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAs gun control is not possible...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Is it time to fortify schools in the US?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.00%]
5 [25.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:14
Just dismantle the NRA and take away the toys. Easier said than done sure but the only way I see taking care of the problem.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:15
As another user mentions, priorities and values have to shift.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:16
After the Sandy Hook shooting it became obvious America wasn't going to do anything about the gun problem. If 20 first graders getting murdered didn't change anything I don't think anything ever will. Unfortunately the gun lobby here is much too powerful.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:56
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

After the Sandy Hook shooting it became obvious America wasn't going to do anything about the gun problem. If 20 first graders getting murdered didn't change anything I don't think anything ever will. Unfortunately the gun lobby here is much too powerful.

They're not going to care about a bunch of working class kids. I'm wondering if a mass killing of politicans or high ranking bankers would change their minds.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:57
As long as half the US citizens worship God and guns (equally), there is no solution to this problem.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 09:59
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'm wondering if a mass killing of politicans or high ranking bankers would change their minds.
It has already happened, so no.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 10:46
One would think that after years of "thoughts and prayers" as a solution, some Americans would start realizing that something ain't right. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:22
Even if guns were made "illegal" there's no viable way to retrieve the gazillions of them already on the US streets.  As others have said, the toothpaste is out of the tube.  That said, if the US continually refuses to address what are likely the underlying causes of these types of violence (mental health issues, violent video games/movies/TV, serious consequences for adult gun owners who do not secure weapon access from their children, 24/7 media coverage that makes the shooter into a celebrity, gaping loopholes in gun control laws, etc) the only thing left is to protect the innocent children at all costs.  To me that means it is time to fortify our schools.

I think requiring teachers or administrators to carry firearms and essentially become part-time security guards is reckless, but I think schools and the children attending them should be afforded the same protection as a Federal courthouse.  Everyone passes through a metal detector at the door (which some schools already do) and armed officers are stationed at exit and entry points.  Schools can no longer be open campuses that people can just wander in and out of, there needs to be controlled points of entry.  Does it suck to be a kid and grow up in that type of school environment?  Absolutely.  Does it suck worse to have your child killed on the way to algebra class because some maniac knows that schools are "gun free zones" and all he has to do is walk in and start shooting? 

The choices that we need to make come down to, freedom vs safety and how to balance them.  With every school shooting or terrorist attack we get one step closer to Marshall law.  There are simply too many crazies in this country with access to deadly weapons to keep track of.  Too many ticking-time-bombs just waiting to be set off by being fired from their job, dumped by the girl/boy friend or disciplined by a teacher/parent.  I know in this case the shooter survived and was captured, but it seems in most cases the shooter is happy to "suicide by police".  So how do you deter someone from committing violence who is prepared (or in some cases actually wants) to die during the attack taking as many innocents with him as possible? 

I don't know the answer to this whole mess, but if we don't figure it out as a nation pretty damn quick, the question won't be, "was there a school shooting this week", but "where was this weeks school shooting".

"Living in a cage in the USA...
  All around us the rules are changing...
    Taller walls and stronger cages..." - Adrian Belew   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Even if guns were made "illegal" there's no viable way to retrieve the gazillions of them already on the US streets.  As others have said, the toothpaste is out of the tube.

No because eventually all those guns that are still out there would begin to deteriorate and become unusable (or dangerous to the owner) without continuous care.   Which would be fine with me.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 13:50
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Wasn't it Kevin Hart or someone equally random who said that they should just restrict the sales of ammo to the small amount you need to protect yourself in case of emergency? I can't say much against that...

He may have said this, but I believe it was Chris Rock who said they should sell ammo for something like $5000 a bullet to make people think real hard about firing off 6+ rounds.

While this was obviously a comedy bit, it does make me think...the 2nd amendment only accounts for the right to bear arms. While it may be inferred that that means all the accoutrements that go with it, I don't think it's crazy to go after things like bullets and bump stocks and stuff like that interms of making it harder to get (or impossible depending on that gadget) and not have it really be a constitutional thing. Now perhaps there is some court decision that stipulates this and renders my thinking moot, but...   
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 13:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hah that sounds like something off a Monty Python sketch.

There is of course also the whole trust debacle. Do most Americans, or indeed most westeners, trust their governments these days? The amount of misinformation and media nonsense dressed up as "news" often sway people to distrust.
I remember when Japan was hit by that tsunami a couple of years back. Thousands of people were saved because they trusted the Japanese governments's instructions. Now I don't for one second believe that Japan is any less susceptible to dirty politicians and being lied to in general, yet there seems to be an underlying belief in the powers that be, at the end of the day, wants the best for its people and generally knows what it's doing.
I shudder to think if this catastrophe happens in societies where such trust is lost.

So what happens if the US government decides to change the second amendment?

Amending the constitution is truly difficult. Hell, it's only been 27 times in the whole of american history (and one of them is a repealed law that took another amendment to repeal it!). It was would be even more difficult in these very partisan times, especially with something has tension filled as gun control. The 2nd amendment is also apart of the Bill Of Rights and not being a constitutional lawyer I'm unsure, but I would imainge it would be even more difficult to change anything from the first 10 amendments due to this. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A bit of a daft analogy here but nevertheless here goes: one of my old friends from Senegal is muslim. He has been one all of his life yet was complerely ostrasized by his community, when he stopped obeying one "law". He eats pork. No real revolution or grand scheme behind this other than he likes the taste of it. Anyway he said to me, that this law surely made sense back in a time, when there were no refridgerators. In such a warm climate pork quickly turns and can become poisenous. Ergo make a public health announcement diguised as divine "law".

My point though, however conveluted it may appear, is that laws in general have to be looked at again and again and measured up against society and how they indeed govern the very same. If the opposite seems to be the case, then it either needs to be abolished or indeed amended.
The whole thing about overthrowing an evil government is by today's standards ridiculus to say the least. Today the US government owns remote controlled missile launching fighter planes, tanks, helicopters and just about everything else you care to think of in terms of weaponry. Back then things were a little more even.

Several people have said this already, and I agree that it would take a tremendous shift in culture to change something like this so radically. The masses in America love the constitution (even though they hate taxes which the constitution deals with). Or, perhaps more adequately, the masses love the part of the constitution they love and dismiss the parts they dislike. Not to make this a left/right issue, as both sides are guilty of this, but I would even go further and say this tendency goes past American nature into human nature. But that goes a bit beyond the scope of this thread...

I guess my point is, I agree. We should work on the constitution periodically to ensure it keeps up with modern standards or at least come at it with modern viewpoints. OF course, being the hyper partisan nature of current American politics, I'm not sure anything will be able to get done, but again, that's a different issue. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 14:04
As for the question at hand...idk. It may be illogical or purely emotional response, but it just distresses me to even conceive normalizing a world where guns/armed guards/armymen/etc are readily positioned around towns and in the normal corners of life. Clearly I can't speak for everyone (and there are many that feel being surrounded by guns is very safe feelin), but for me personally, is would just keep me on edge all the time. And it moves a little too close to military rule for my liking. But I really can't expound of this further, as it's just a gut feeling of unease and nothing that I can parse out logically/verbally. 
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 15:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Wasn't it Kevin Hart or someone equally random who said that they should just restrict the sales of ammo to the small amount you need to protect yourself in case of emergency? I can't say much against that...

He may have said this, but I believe it was Chris Rock who said they should sell ammo for something like $5000 a bullet to make people think real hard about firing off 6+ rounds.

While this was obviously a comedy bit, it does make me think...the 2nd amendment only accounts for the right to bear arms. While it may be inferred that that means all the accoutrements that go with it, I don't think it's crazy to go after things like bullets and bump stocks and stuff like that interms of making it harder to get (or impossible depending on that gadget) and not have it really be a constitutional thing. Now perhaps there is some court decision that stipulates this and renders my thinking moot, but...   
Oops yeah that's it. I do get those two confused...

But why wouldn't it be possibe? Even the pro-gun people could likely agree that you're not normally supposed to use for more than a rare emergency, and if they want to use it for sports they can get a special license for cheaper bullets or something?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:33

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Oops yeah that's it. I do get those two confused...

But why wouldn't it be possibe? Even the pro-gun people could likely agree that you're not normally supposed to use for more than a rare emergency, and if they want to use it for sports they can get a special license for cheaper bullets or something?

Understandable. They look very similar and have similar comedic styles. 

First off, I think this is the route you have to take to get these things under control. Take the bump stock for example...I have a hard time considering that an arm to bear. (Really the same can be said for bullets but one step at a time here) Now, as I said, I'm not sure if there is legal precedent one way or another in this regard (any type of gun accessory being covered by the second amendment) but I don't often hear this being discussed in serious conversation. 

Secondly, I think you underestimate the love of guns in America. There are a lot (and certainly incredibly vocal) of people that think even the slightest hoop to jump through to get guns is worse than defecating in the bible. Now sure, most people are for background checks and other sensible things like that, but I don't think any change in the current method will be easy to make without much pushback from the NRA and various other organizations and individuals on the right. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 16:42
I'd think that would indeed be popular or at least workable, a strong limit on bullet numbers sold (not $5,000 per bullet which is ridiculous and therefore unhelpful).   And though I also see gun-righters opposing it, it could be something doable as there are a lot of gun owners appalled at these events and would prefer stronger laws, including a majority of the Law Enforcement community.

One other sad reality to understand, I believe, is that the support the NRA gets from conservative politicians is not just because of money or social backing, but because those politicians still believe in what the NRA stands for.   And that's what I would call a problem of 'deep politics', which is to say the private, deeply held beliefs people have that are not publicly expressed.

Edited by Atavachron - February 15 2018 at 16:42
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 17:06
When I was a kid, we used to settle scores with our fists in an empty lot after school.  Seemed adequate enough back in the 1970's.  Life was valued, and shooting someone was absolutely unheard of.

I just don't get it.  There is some kind of weird mental disconnect these days.  I see it in a lot of people.  Like there is a psychotic severance between cause and effect... I tend to agree with those who say it is some kind of mental health issue - and the issue seems (to me) to be pretty widespread.  I have no idea what the solution is.  I can only speculate on the cause(s) of it - and I think there are several, it's not one single thing.  One thing is for sure, life is no longer valued the way it was in decades past.  We live in a throw-away culture, and that includes each other.  It's sad.  
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 17:46
Those of us who live in this country are completely numb to all of this nonsense. Those of us who want to retain a lick of sanity finds ways to escape. The whole gun thing goes back to the days of forced Native American removal from lands and slavery patrols. This country does not want to revisit the evil of the past and as a result perpetually exists in a loop played out over and over again. Personally the only thing that will stop this is a complete collapse of the nation state itself and with debt increasing every millisecond as well as a civil war taking place in the covert deep state, it's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down. Until then, boom boom boom. This is what a collapsing empire looks like

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 18:32
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This is what a collapsing empire looks like

I've spent a lot of time today pondering this thread and the tragic event that lead to it's creation.  Columbine was shocking, Sandy Hook was horrific, and now another one.  In fact, there's been so many school mass shootings now that I can't even remember them all.  Consider that.  Children have been murdered in their classrooms so frequently that it now turns into one big blur.  I've written several posts today, but each time have ended up deleting it in despair and disgust at what our country has become.  Who's going to fix this?  Our elected officials?  They can't even agree on what color the sky is.  Meanwhile, I've not read nor can come up with even a single workable solution that isn't filled with giant holes that make it futile.

I'm afraid siLLy puPPy's quote hit the nail on the head of what I've been trying to say all day Unhappy 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 18:35
^ And yet many, many people would still rather be here than in other countries with almost zero gun problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>