Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Big Six Prog Favorite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Which Non Big Six Prog Band for you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [11.56%]
7 [4.76%]
24 [16.33%]
5 [3.40%]
4 [2.72%]
7 [4.76%]
21 [14.29%]
7 [4.76%]
33 [22.45%]
1 [0.68%]
11 [7.48%]
4 [2.72%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.68%]
5 [3.40%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 19:41
Voted Camel but Strawbs should be on this list (and would get my vote accordingly)
PROGMATIC
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 19:43
VDGG > Soft Machine > Caravan > Magma > Gentle Giant

This

PS : I could live easily without the Big six.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 20:12
Where is Frank? Anyway, been getting back into Magma this evening. I already love MDK so listened to their debut and loved it, and now listening to Felicite Thosz and it is really beautiful. I think this might really be a band to be reckoned with but still so much to discover from them. I love Camel and VdGG, also Renaissance.. but this one is coming down to Caravan or Gentle Giant. And it's a tough one because I like both bands A LOT. So ok I'll pick Gentle Giant but just by the slimmest of margins.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 21:01
Rush. Very easy choice
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 22:19
I really can't choose on this list, too many of my favourites.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 22:41
Between Camel and Rush. Supertramp is up there too, and I also love a lot of Moody Blues stuff.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 23:56
I know it's impossible to be all-inclusive in these polls, but why no place for Gong, Hawkwind, Can, Tangerine Dream, or (insert name here)

From the poll, I found it hard to decide between VDGG, Caravan, Focus, and PFM. Went with Caravan

Edited by Stool Man - August 12 2018 at 23:57
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 04:01
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Voted Camel but Strawbs should be on this list (and would get my vote accordingly)

Strawbs should indeed be on this list and would come second to Camel for me.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:06
Have albums by them all and enjoy every band on the list. Voted for Soft Machine today but tomorrow it might have been VdGG or Camel.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:09
Rush but I also like some Gentle Giant, PFM, and Soft Machine. Haven't heard enough from the others.

Edited by Jeffro - August 13 2018 at 06:10
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:19
Neat poll.

Rush!

Followed by Camel, Renaissance, and Supertramp . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:35
Gosh that's tough!

I have a big soft spot for Gentle Giant - just their musicianship and range of musical influences, so I'd probably go for them

However VdGG are superb and it's hard to relegate them into second place
Songs cast a light on you
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 08:34
hmm, from this list it's pretty close to a tie between Camel, Moodys and Renaissance.  Le Orme is not far behind though.  I'm going with Renaissance because they are the group I'm most likely to listen to these days

Edited by kenethlevine - August 13 2018 at 08:34
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 08:35
The thing is that already the "big 6" are not personal favourites but nominated due to some kind of consensus among some kind of insider group, although opposition against that list seems rather weak and I'm probably just about OK with it.

But it is then a tough question to nominate no. 7 because obviously the question here is not what my personal number 7 band is assuming that the first 6 are the big ones. I have a personal top 5 and there's only one overlap to the "big 6" and actually no overlap to the list posted here.
VDGG may just make my personal top 10 on a good day and they are high enough in general esteem that they'd probably make a worthy number 7 of prog so I will vote for them here.

But then some of the selection here is really odd in that Grobschnitt would probably have a hard time to get into the top 10 German prog bands alone whereas some real biggies such as Zappa and Can (yes I ought to say that) are missing.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 08:39
Rush, then Renaissance. You could put Zappa in there too. 
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 09:07
Gentle Giant +1
Banco
VdGG

All three are in my personal top ten, above most of the so called big six. 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:23
excellent poll

love albums from all of these bands

Rush gets my vote

Gentle Giant would be next
Prog On!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:56
VDGG.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 13:55
Gentle Giant
Banco
Le Orme
PFM
Van Der Graaf Generator
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 14:00
I know there are mixed opinions about them on here but Rush gets my vote. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>