Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most underrated studio Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which do you feel is the most underrated studio Yes album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.89%]
9 [11.84%]
15 [19.74%]
10 [13.16%]
7 [9.21%]
4 [5.26%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
2 [2.63%]
2 [2.63%]
3 [3.95%]
5 [6.58%]
1 [1.32%]
3 [3.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 05:30
Their debut
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 07:48
guess Tormato ---always liked it---even if the keyboard sounds Rick was using at the time are somewhat corny---Tales is prog brillience (and not just Steve Wilson said its his fav Yes album) ---also think Magnification and Fly from here are pretty good coming so late in their career with a lot of crap coming before it.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 08:57
I'm sort of torn between time and a word, Tormato, Big Generator and Talk(which interestingly hasn't received any votes yet). I really don't think TFTO and Drama are very underrated especially compared to the others on the list but I included them because they aren't nearly as lauded as TYA, F, R, or CTTE.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 24 2019 at 08:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Never quite sure about the u- and o-word. So I don't only have to assess how I rate these albums but also how others rate them in order to tick the "underrated"-box?
Anyway, from my observation of Yes discussions in this forum I rate Going For The One higher than most others (in terms of within-Yes rankings; in terms of stars I'd probably not go up to 5, not the biggest Yes-fan here), so my vote goes to "other".
All the really low rated Yes albums don't do much for me, so I'm fine with their ratings.

So your other was GFTO? Compared to their other seventies albums(aside from T&AW and Tormato) it is indeed pretty underrated and to be honest the only reason I didn't include it here is because it had an over 4.0(4.04 to be exact)rating on here.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:25
I think it's "The Ladder". This is mostly based on personal taste, and it's an album I really like, Specially because the keyboard work of Igor Khoroshev. All the music is really good and quite entertaining, at lest to my ears and those of many people that I know. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:37
I sometimes forget that it's Igor on the Ladder and not Wakeman. I like it quite a bit but for me personally I'm not sure it gets the prize as most underrated Yes album. It's certainly a contender(more than others)which is why it is on the list.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 10:29
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe.

There's some great material on there. It's almost Yes (Squire has to be there for it to be Yes).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 12:39
I see two "other" votes but only one mentioned in here which was GFTO. Please mention the other one if you voted "other."
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 13:09
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe.

There's some great material on there. It's almost Yes (Squire has to be there for it to be Yes).

They should've called the band Yeah! or if that was too close Affirmative, Captain :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 13:42
I voted other because I consider the Yes album to be underrated sometimes in comparison to Fragile and CTTE.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 13:50
Tales From Topographic Oceans!!! It needs to be rated higher than it is.Embarrassed
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 14:26
Tales 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 15:22
I voted for 90125; mostly considering how the prog community and 70's Yes fans treat it. Personally, I think it's got a lot of solid songs, and it's not some straight forward pop album like some people think it is.

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think it's "The Ladder". This is mostly based on personal taste, and it's an album I really like, Specially because the keyboard work of Igor Khoroshev. All the music is really good and quite entertaining, at lest to my ears and those of many people that I know. 

I've always felt the opposite of The Ladder... A lot of Yes fans seem to treat it as some piece of genius, but I can't stand half the songs (It Will Be A Good Day gets my vote for worst Yes song ever). Sure, it shows promise the second you turn it on because they've got a Starcastle-esque imitation of 70's Yes to start the album, but it just goes downhill from there. I have no issues with pop music or prog bands making good pop songs... But none of these tracks are good pop songs to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 15:41
^Imo, Yes were going for something different on the Ladder. I don't think it was trying to be pure prog all of the time or pure pop but instead a combination of the two with a strong world music influence thrown in as well. Even if you don't like it you have to admit there's nothing else in the Yes canon quite like it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 15:46
I admit I'm a bit biased here. I voted for Big Generator because when it came out it was highly anticipated among Yes fans and while I had been a fan for at least a couple of years by then it was the first tour I saw for them. I'll always remember the anticipation, the energy, the eagerness of the Yes fans and even(god forbid)the hype surrounding it. It even sold pretty well. I don't consider it a copycat of 90125 like some do but admit it's cut from more or less the same cloth. So I voted for it not just for the above reasons but because of the way it seems to be panned these days by practically everyone. It definitely doesn't deserve the hisses and boos by those who insist what a crappy album it is. So in some ways it's a lot like Tormato except that many older fans accept Tormato but not BG. It's a very special album to me and there's not one thing anyone on here can say that will make me feel differently. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 24 2019 at 15:47
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 17:25
BG holding its own nicely.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 20:11
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Yes, Time And A Word, Tormato, Drama and 90125 are all excellent albums IMHO

I definately think they are underappreciated most likely because they are compared to the classics in between but taken into consideration under their own merits, wow!
I voted for Time and a Word, and I agree with you on the others you mention except for Tormato, which, while having its moments, deserves its reputation for mediocrity. IMvHO, of course!

Edited by patrickq - August 24 2019 at 20:12
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 20:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yeah - - Big Generator would be rated higher if it were by some no-name band and listed as a crossover album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 20:38
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yeah - - Big Generator would be rated higher if it were by some no-name band and listed as a crossover album.

Probably. I'm not sure what people expect from a 70's band trying to survive in the eighties though. If you compare 80's Yes to 80's Genesis I feel Yes holds their own.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 23:33
Magnification.

Time And A Word.

Big Generator.

...are all solid choices.

Tormato, too.

Tales has come to receive more love in these latter days, so it is harder to call it underrated.

I've come to believe most of their work is still underrated, but hey. That's just me.

Regarding the panning of It Will Be A Good Day (The River), above:

The studio version on The Ladder (yet another of the underrated) does verge on over toward the insipid just a touch, but the live version on The House Of Yes (underrated) video/VHS - I don't think they ever sent a DVD version to the market that worked - is stunningly, achingly lovely. Whether dressed up in post production or no, it's a beautiful song and thoroughly vindicates the failure of the more antiseptic studio work.

Yes were like this.

You would never believe it. At their best, they would execute live beyond what they were able to achieve in the studio.

I remember as a young person hearing Close To The Edge and thinking there is no way these guys can do this in concert. Live.

Even when subsequently faced with Yessongs, I doubted. Had to see and hear with my own eyes and ears. Which, in the fullness of time I did.

At their best, they were better live.

Made me really, really happy.

Edited by Frankh - August 25 2019 at 22:37
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>