Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 10:35
Whether or not you currently enjoy the album has no bearing on whether it’s overrated. The album changed music. Every single artist was impacted by it in some way. Of course it’s not even close to be overrated.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Steven Wilson thought it was "slightly" overrated? Coming from a guy who is entirely overrated. No, it pretty much started it all, thank you.

Oh snap! But agree with you 100%.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 12:23
Not even a little. It's a great album.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 13:11
Compared to what?

Of course it's not overrated.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 15:10
Is it the Beatles' best album? Not necessarily, my favourite album of all time is Revolver. But overrated? Absolutely not. It's an astonishing piece of work in many respects, and it is very accomplished. "A Day in the Life" alone is one of the greatest pieces of art I can think of...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 16:10
In no way whatsoever is it overrated. Is it the best album ever? Possibly, possibly not, but it is one of the contenders. Do some people rate it highly for the wrong reasons? Of course that has happened. Have others rated it highly for the right reasons. Absolutely. Does everyone like it? No. Should anyone in particular like it? No, that is entirely up to them.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 17:35
Historically is one thing, but artistically it is hugely overrated.  Give me Pretty Things' SF Sorrow or Piper at the Gates of Dawn any day of the week.  Or Shazam by The Move.  In fact, The Beatles and the Stones in general are massively overrated.  Especially compared to The Yardbirds, The Move, Creation, The Kinks, Tomorrow, John's Children, The Who (through Sell Out), East of Eden, et al.  In fact, even historically, the The Yardbirds had a more direct influence on rock music than either The Beatles or the Stones.  The Beatles' primary influence was the short lived power pop era.  Now, I loved Big Star, The Raspberries & Dwight Twilley and the other power pop artists as much as anybody, but punk pretty much put an untimely end to that era.  An argument could also be made that The Byrds were much more influential than The Beatles.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 18:20
What does overrated anyway? Does it mean too many people rate it? Does it mean too many people like it? Too many people find it too enjoyable?

I'll express my own views on the album in a review someday but after listening to the album many, many times i don't understand why anyone doesn't find it a masterpiece.

Rating any given artwork shouldn't be about personal tastes alone. One can see the perfection of a work even if it doesn't suit one's tastes but in the case of Sgt Pepper's how can someone not find it an easy and admirable listen time and time again?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 18:57
Change the poll to the  RUSH  discography before its too late
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 19:46
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Historically is one thing, but artistically it is hugely overrated.  Give me Pretty Things' SF Sorrow or Piper at the Gates of Dawn any day of the week.  Or Shazam by The Move.  In fact, The Beatles and the Stones in general are massively overrated.  Especially compared to The Yardbirds, The Move, Creation, The Kinks, Tomorrow, John's Children, The Who (through Sell Out), East of Eden, et al.  In fact, even historically, the The Yardbirds had a more direct influence on rock music than either The Beatles or the Stones.  The Beatles' primary influence was the short lived power pop era.  Now, I loved Big Star, The Raspberries & Dwight Twilley and the other power pop artists as much as anybody, but punk pretty much put an untimely end to that era.  An argument could also be made that The Byrds were much more influential than The Beatles.

I am sorry, but that is a ponderous pile of cow pies. The Beatles were the most influential rock band of all time. It isn't even close. Not even in the same galaxy.

“I was struck by the thunderbolt that was “Please Please Me.” I immediately bought a copy in a seaside shop. It triggered a tremendous personal awakening, a leap into a new realm. In no time I knew more than a hundred Beatles songs on piano.” – Peter Gabriel

“It was terrifying; I had no idea what it was…Then it kept going. Then, there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this a colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I’d come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper’s… My life was never the same again.”  - Robert Fripp on hearing “A Day in the Life” on the radio for the first time

"If it weren't for the Beatles, there wouldn't be anyone like us around." - Jimmy Page

"I wish I'd been in the Beatles." - David Gilmour (who has played with Paul McCartney on a number of occasions) 

“I learned from Lennon, McCartney and Harrison that it was OK for us to write about our lives and express what we felt… More than any other record [Sgt. Pepper’s] gave me and my generation permission to branch out and do whatever we wanted.” – Roger Waters

If it weren't for the Beatles, I wouldn't be a musician." - Dave Grohl, Nirvana/Foo Fighters

"Everyone influenced someone. But everyone was influenced by the Beatles." - Alice Cooper

"Everyone thought the Beatles will just pass by. But to me, they had staying power." - Bob Dylan

"The Beatles are the reason I'm a musician." - Sting

"When the Beatles first played on the Ed Sullivan Show, they looked so cool. I knew something changed that night." - Joe Perry, Aerosmith

"There's no way I'd be doing what I do now if it wasn't for the Beatles. I saw them on the Ed Sullivan Show, and it blew me away how 4 guys from the middle of nowhere can make that kind of music." - Gene Simmons, KISS

"I fell in love with music through The Beatles. I still think there hasn't been a better band than them." -Adam Levine, Maroon 5

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is probably the best album I've ever heard." -Brian Wilson, Beach Boys

“The Beatles built our bible as far as musical composition, arrangement and production went. The White Album is a complete catalogue of how you should use a studio to build songs. ‘Happiness Is a Warm Gun’ and ‘Dear Prudence’ are blinding examples of how music can be like painting a picture on a canvas.”" - Brian May, Queen

"I saw the Beatles. I was able to relate to them. I'm going to play in a rock band." - Tom Petty, Heartbreakers/Traveling Wilburys 

"I watched the Ed Sullivan Show and said F*ck School! This makes it! I went to see them at Shea Stadium and screamed with those chicks." - Joe Walsh, The Eagles

"The Beatles were the first to find that path between artistic and intellectual." - Keith Richards

“The single biggest moment that I can remember being galvanized into wanting to be a musician for life was seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show.” - Billy Joel

"Without The Beatles I don’t think women would be taking their cardigans off in hallways. They were responsible for the birth of the sexual revolution for women.” - Lady Gaga

“The lightning bolt came out of the heavens and struck Ann and me the first time we saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. There’d been so much anticipation and hype about the Beatles that it was a huge event, like the lunar landing: that was the moment Ann and I heard the call to become rock musicians. I was seven or eight at the time." - Nancy Wilson, Heart

“It’s impossible for me to talk about popular music without mentioning probably my greatest mentor, John Lennon. I guess he defined for me, at any rate, how one could twist and turn the fabric of pop and imbue it with elements from other artforms, often producing something extremely beautiful, very powerful and imbued with strangeness.” – David Bowie

“If you hear something like "Man Behind The Curtain" or "Raining", you’ll see that it really is an attempt at combining the pop sensibilities of The Beatles and the Indian part of The Beatles—the George Harrison part. Speaking just about The Beatles in general though, they meant everything to me—I can’t overstate it because they changed my life.” – Adrian Belew 

“Sgt. Pepper’s was a great record. The Beatles are my favorites, you know. When I met Paul McCartney, it was the highlight of my life.” – Ozzy Osbourne

“Dear Beatles, it’s my earliest memory of music. I was three years old and in the back garden of 10 Cedarwood Road… I associate the song with the smell of freshly cut grass as I was lying on my back on the damp green patch after my Da had cut the lawn.” - Bono, writing a fan letter to the Beatles about the first time he heard “I Want to Hold Your Hand”

Jimi Hendrix, XTC, Electric Light Orchestra, Todd Rundgren and Utopia, The Squeeze, Crowded House, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Oasis, Elton John, Bryan Ferry, Kate Bush, The Flaming Lips, Kurt Cobain (who wrote 'About a Girl' after listening to 'Meet the Beatles' for three straight hours), Jeff Beck and Al Di Meola are just a few artists who directly acknowledge the Beatles influence.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 20:10
^ Very thorough.
That album was an album that everyone was listening to at the time, it influenced everyone, including people involved in genres outside of rock.

Edited by Easy Money - September 12 2020 at 20:19
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 20:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"There's no way I'd be doing what I do now if it wasn't for the Beatles. I saw them on the Ed Sullivan Show, and it blew me away how 4 guys from the middle of nowhere can make that kind of music." - Gene Simmons, KISS

We watched Ed Sullivan every week without fail.  I clearly remember guests like Steve and Edie, Senor Wences, Jose Greco, the Muppets (including one bit when Kermit gets eaten).  I have absolutely no recollection of seeing either The Beatles or The Stones on Ed Sullivan.  They did nothing for me.  On the other hand, when Buffalo Springfield played Hollywood Palace, I was electrified.  THERE was a band!

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 21:11

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

We watched Ed Sullivan every week without fail.  I clearly remember guests like Steve and Edie, Senor Wences, Jose Greco, the Muppets (including one bit when Kermit gets eaten).  I have absolutely no recollection of seeing either The Beatles or The Stones on Ed Sullivan.  They did nothing for me.  On the other hand, when Buffalo Springfield played Hollywood Palace, I was electrified.  THERE was a band!

Evidently, you missed it. Evidently, as was recorded by many high-profile rock stars across several genres, seeing The Beatles in February, 1964 was a life changing event - so much so that they decided then and there to become musicians. I remember it clearly, because even as a 4 year old it was special. I've been a Beatles fan ever since. I also remember seeing the Beatles and Stones several times on Ed Sullivan. Evidently, you had some sort of mental block.

And humorously, the Byrds adored and were heavily influenced by The Beatles:

David Crosby: 
"They (The Beatles) were our heroes. They were absolutely what we thought we wanted to do. We listened to every note they played, and savored it, and rubbed it on our foreheads, and were duly affected by it."

Chris Hillman: 
"We also saw The Beatles first movie, A Hard Days Night, which also opened our eyes quite a bit. That's where Roger McGuinn saw George Harrison playing a Rickenbacker 12-string. Roger had been playing a Gibson acoustic 12-string and when he saw Harrison, that was the guitar--and the rest, as they say, is history. So, in the literal sense, yes, we plugged our amplifiers in and by hook or crook, learned how to play to Rock and Roll. It was actually what made The Byrds unique because we didn't have a blueprint to follow."

Roger McGuinn: 
"If you listen to the very early Byrds recordings on, say, Preflyte, you can hear a pronounced Beatles sound."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 06:18

An argument could also be made that The Byrds were much more influential than The Beatles.

An argument could also be made that The Beatles invented The Byrds.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 06:34
Not imho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:13
It's actually hard to gauge the impact of Sgt Pepper unless you were around at the time (I was, but I was far too young). As The Dark Elf has shown above, it had an enormous impact on other musicians, not least it showed them what could be done in the studio.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 13:04
Being that the album's creative influence extends all the way to Radiohead's Ok Computer, I would say no.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 13:25
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

It's iconic but for a lot of people, including musicians (Steven Wilson, for example) the album is slightly overrated. What do you think?

Hi,

Saying it is overrated TODAY ... is silly and ridiculous, because you can compare to hundreds and hundreds of other albums since then ... we're talking what ... almost 55 years or something like that ... something, is likely to make it look overrated ... but using SW's opinion, is a bit ridiculous. He's not a master of history, and neither is he a musician that will stand the time for some 55 years! 

Now, if you take a time trip ... BACK TO WHEN THE ALBUM WAS RELEASED, there was nothing like it anywhere in the world, and it would not be over rated ... maybe not liked by some people that might think there were too many drug this and that and stupid things ... but no album, since then, has shown a band so intelligent and capable as to make something special stand out ... and they did ... 

THERE WAS NO OTHER then, to make the comment and idea that it is/was overrated a valid comment. It is, undoubtedly a comment made by someone that has no vision of the history of a lot of music, and how some things in the 60's took the world by storm.

It wasn't "overrated" ... and never will be!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 13:56
I received it as a birthday present when I turned 8 years old from a family friend. She was a little strange and actually played the album before giving it to me. Apparently she opened it up and put pepper on the sleeve. She asked me to smell it and I didn't understand what I was supposed to smell. "Oh, I get it now I said" after she explained. Anyway, I remember putting it on(or rather having my father put the record on since I wasn't allowed to touch his turntable). I would jump around in my bathrobe with the title track playing(and the rest of the album too probably) pretending to be in the Sgt. Pepper's band. The Beatles in general had an influence on me as a kid but especially that record. This was in the 70's also so the Beatles had already been broken up for 8 years by then but they still had a lingering impact on music.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 13 2020 at 13:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 14:29
My stock answer for most very album, it's underrated by some and overrated by others. Overall, I don't think so. It's an incredibly influential album. In such cases I prefer to look at individual claims and see if that overstates the significance of something/ makes dubious or false claims/ gives undue merit -- the more specific the better. For instance, if someone claims that without Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Pet Sounds would have never happened, then with this inaccurate statement that person is overrating the significance and impact of the Beatles' album.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>