Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Songs With Great Lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

John Lennon - Imagine. Lyrics are outstanding. Also, Bob Dylan penned many great lyrics.

Bob Dylan I agree, but Imagine Confused I disagree...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 08:24

John Lennon - Imagine. Lyrics are outstanding. Also, Bob Dylan penned many great lyrics.

From a non-prog standpoint, I think you would also have to add Paul Simon to that trio. Lennon, Dylan and Simon were all outstanding.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 08:47
Since you've mentioned Bob Dylan, in the USSR the singers of that kind who wrote and sang what they wrote and played the acoustic guitar or so, were called bards - a pretty familiar word for us all, right? 

Soviet bards created many great lyrics. Sometimes even the melodies were memorable (though usually not). 

The most popular Soviet bard was Vladimir Vysotsky - there's a whole site of translations of his songs to various languages: https://wysotsky.com/ 

His notable tunes include: 

and like a hundred more ones. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 09:21
... the Soviet songs practically always had meaningful to highly meaningful lyrics. 

There was, for example, sort of Soviet "My Way" - the song Nadezhda (Hope) prominently performed by Muslim Magomayev: 

Here's the English translation: 

Btw, Mr. Magomayev performed My Way, too. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - September 15 2020 at 09:26
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
beholdtheman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beholdtheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 11:29

..This became a really great discussion; very diverse. And some of your examples caused me to think of even more.....

JD...

Cold and misty morning, I heard a warning borne in the air
About an age of power no one had an hour to spare
Where the seeds have withered, silent children shivered, in the cold

Now their faces captured in the lenses of the jackals for gold

ELP

..I like how the first and fourth lines have internal rhymes. Then the end of those lines, rhyme with the end of the following line. Is there a name for that type of rhyme pattern?

Sacro_Porgo...

Too many things, to respond to all of them. But now I want to go back and revisit some of the classic Genesis. And I also agree with "Wayward Son". That definitely deserves a mention.

cstack3...

You reminded me of a couple things, that I've always liked.

Long Distance Runaround..... Hot colour melting the anger to stone

The Teacher The Preacher..... Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time

I don't really have a specific interpretation for these. But I just like the beauty and the flow of the words. Do you have any specific interpretation for any of the verses you presented?

A Crimson Mellotron...

I also like Steve Wilson. I nearly referred to "Heart Attack In A Lay By" for the original post. That song always gets me. From there I would say anything from "In Absentia". All those songs are really well crafted.

Frenetic Zetetic...

It seems that you have a stronger than average appreciation for words and word craft. I saw "verslibre" in your post, and I had to find it in a dictionary. That opened me up to a new concept for writing lyrics. Also saw the word "amigious" in your post, but couldn't find that anywhere. Did you mean to say "ambiguous"? I have a lot of curiosity and interest in words and word craft. I have about 20 different dictionaries of varying complexity, to help me in that pursuit. If this is also an interest of yours, then maybe you could tell me more about it. If you want to.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 11:34
Hi,

Strange not to see Roy Harper here ... he has a lot of great things in his many albums. I specially like his late 70's and 80's period.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 13:54
Toy Matinee's Last Plane Out. Perhaps only bordering on great, it's both
cheeky but pleasantly amusing.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 14:45
Al Stewart-Roads to Moscow. Incredible and moving. In fact Al over the years has painted many historical pictures through his lyrics and music.
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 16:27

Marillion, Hawkwind, Gnidrolog - I Could Never Be A Soldier, Pentacle, Alain Markusfeld ‎– Dors! Madère      & Les Têtes Molles.

I find Jethro Tull and Yes rather pretentious in their lyrics.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:21
Originally posted by beholdtheman beholdtheman wrote:

Frenetic Zetetic...

It seems that you have a stronger than average appreciation for words and word craft. I saw "verslibre" in your post, and I had to find it in a dictionary. That opened me up to a new concept for writing lyrics. Also saw the word "amigious" in your post, but couldn't find that anywhere. Did you mean to say "ambiguous"? I have a lot of curiosity and interest in words and word craft. I have about 20 different dictionaries of varying complexity, to help me in that pursuit. If this is also an interest of yours, then maybe you could tell me more about it. If you want to.

Yes I meant "ambiguous"; I despise touch screen keyboards but I'm stuck with it when on iPad or iPhone! Thank you for the kind compliment. I write both articles and music regularly.

Just one crazy moment while the dice are cast,
He looks into the future and remembers what is past,
Wonders what he's doing on this battlefield,
Shrugs to his shadow, impatient, too proud yet to kneel.
In his wake he leaves scorched earth and work in vain;
Smoke drifts up behind him, he is free again,
Free to run before the onslaught of a deadly foe,
Leaving nothing fit for pillage, hardly leaving home.
It's far too late to turn, unless it's to stone.
Charging madly forward, tracks across the snow,
Wind screams madness to him, ever on he goes
Leaving spoor to mark his passage, trace his weary climb.
Cross the moor and make the headland 
Stumbling, wayward, blind.
In the end his footprints extend as one single line.
This latest exponent of heresy is goaded into an attack,
Persuaded to charge at his enemy.
Too late, he knows it is, too late now to turn back,
Too soon by far to falter.
The past sits uneasily at his rear,
He's walking right into the trap,
Surrounded, but striving through will and fear.
Ahead of him he knows there waits an ambuscade
But the dice slip through his fingers
And he's living from day to day,
Carrying his world around upon his back,
Leaving nothing behind but the tell-tale of his track.
He will not be hostage, he will not be slave,
No snare of past can trap him, though the future may.
Still he runs and burns behind him in advanced retreat;
Still his life remains unfettered, he denies defeat.
It's far too late to turn, unless it's to stone.
Leave the past to burn, at least that's been his own.
Scorched earth, that's all that's left when he's done;
Holding nothing but beholden to no-one,
Claiming nothing, out of no false pride, he survives.
Snow tracks are all that's left to be seen
Of a man who entered the course of a dream,
Claiming nothing but the life he's known
This, at least, has been his own.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
beholdtheman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beholdtheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:19

I also like Steve Wilson. I nearly referred to "Heart Attack In A Lay By" for the original post. That song always gets me. From there I would say anything from "In Absentia". All those songs are really well crafted.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 09:22

..This became a really great discussion; very diverse. And some of your examples caused me to think of even more.....

JD...

ELP

..I like how the first and fourth lines have internal rhymes. Then the end of those lines, rhyme with the end of the following line. Is there a name for that type of rhyme pattern?

I'm not aware of a 'Name' for the pattern you refer to. As a bit of a lyricist myself I sometimes lean to rhythms in the words and sometime I lean to the content of the words themselves. If I am constructing lyrics to already created music I have to use that rhythm as my guide. If I'm writing without music anything goes.

For example here are the lyrics I wrote for a song called 'Aqua Terra Electrique' before I heard any of the music.

In churning wakes as light recedes
Guiding lights of emerald green
And red that seems to bleed

Pulled away in strange effect
By force of nature, disconnect
No Warning left to heed

Slipped so quickly from my gaze
Engulfed and swallowed by the haze
Our life became unfurled

Across the flats with careful haste
We broke to land and then we faced
Electric Water World

© JD Dinsdale

Edited by JD - September 18 2020 at 04:58
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 10:01
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

JD...

ELP

I'm not aware of a 'Name' for the pattern you refer to. As a bit of a lyricist myself I sometimes lean to rhythms in the words and sometime I lean to the content of the words themselves. If I am constructing lyrics to already created music I have to use that rhythm as my guide. If I'm writing without music anything goes.

For example here are the lyrics I wrote for a song called 'Aqua Terra Electrique' before I heard any of the music.

In churning wakes as light recedes
Guiding lights of emerald green
And red that seems to bleed

Pulled away in strange effect
By force of nature, disconnect
No Warning left to heed

Slipped so quickly from my glaze
Engulfed and swallowed by the haze
Our life became unfurled

Across the flats with careful haste
We broke to land and then we faced
Electric Water World

© JD Dinsdale

They are referred to as "rhyme schemes".

The Karn Evil example is AABB, in that the line 1 and 2 rhyme, and 3 and 4 rhyme.
JD's example is AAB CCB, in which the first 2 lines rhyme (as do the 4th and 5th line), followed by 3 line that rhymes with the 6th line.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 16:13

Dylan is almost unanimously considered the greatest ever lyricist, so that's obvious. "Imagine" is pretty terrible though. 

Leonard Cohen I feel is up there among the best. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:03
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

"Imagine" is pretty terrible though. 
Care to explain why?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:26

Care to explain why?
He has no idea. "Imagine" is one of the few songs that a conservative fundamentalist Republican will absently sing along with and not realize they're espousing anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional and anti-capitalistic themes. That in itself is worth the price of admission.

Lennon knew what he had accomplished, and in a letter to Paul McCartney stated, ' "Imagine" was "Working Class Hero" with sugar on it for conservatives like yourself.'

Oh, and "Working Class Hero"...another set of superb lyrics.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 20:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Care to explain why?
He has no idea. "Imagine" is one of the few songs that a conservative fundamentalist Republican will absently sing along with and not realize they're espousing anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional and anti-capitalistic themes. That in itself is worth the price of admission.

Lennon knew what he had accomplished, and in a letter to Paul McCartney stated, ' "Imagine" was "Working Class Hero" with sugar on it for conservatives like yourself.'

Yes, your fabricated generalization of what neo-Cons do with this song really shows you have an idea, lol.

Anyway, it isn’t bad because of its message. And I’m aware it’s considered one of the greats as far as lyrics go, but that’s only because of its social impact. It’s bad because its cheese level is on par with “We Are the World.” It has no wit or clever artistic expression. It’s just straightforward and on the head and ironically unimaginative. It sounds like a kid wrote it for a homework poetry assignment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 00:31

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Care to explain why?

Yes, your fabricated generalization of what neo-Cons do with this song really shows you have an idea, lol.
Because I've actually heard people of that ilk singing, humming, swaying back and forth "Kumbayah"-style, and tapping their feet as if it was their favorite song of all time, dolt. 

It is the same lack of context and intellectual grasp that would have Donald Trump, with his five medical draft deferments fabricated by his wealthy father, playing CCR's "Fortunate Son" at a campaign rally. And that total blunder is not the first time his campaign was completely clueless to a song's message, they also played Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World", a savage indictment of George H.W. Bush's Republican administration and American throw-away capitalism, at several venues.

This utter lack of context and historical place is evident in your statement below, and indicates to me that you were perhaps not even born when these lyrics were penned.

Anyway, it isn’t bad because of its message. And I’m aware it’s considered one of the greats as far as lyrics go, but that’s only because of its social impact. It’s bad because its cheese level is on par with “We Are the World.” It has no wit or clever artistic expression. It’s just straightforward and on the head and ironically unimaginative. It sounds like a kid wrote it for a homework poetry assignment.

It is considered one of the great lyrics because of its social impact, and that is precisely due to its straightforward and seemingly simple message. I said "seemingly" because Lennon purposely crafted the song without allegorization or extraneous literary embellishment - the message mattered more than whatever inane "clever artistic expression" you think is missing.  

It was written in 1971 during the neverending Vietnam War and the UK's involvement in the Nigerian-Biafran civil war. Lennon was a very vocal proponent of the peace movement and associated with radical anti-war activists, so much so that the FBI had him under surveillance and the INS actually tried to deport him from New York. Lennon wrote "Imagine" in such a way that it would be accepted as a manifesto for peace and hope (which is why it is played so often after major tragedies). The political rhetoric is there, but it is not a rant or diatribe or call to arms, but rather a call to dream, to imagine the world as a better place -- a positive starting point for change. This is why it is one of the most covered songs of all time.

In the same vein, Bob Dylan had hundreds of songs that were heavy on allegory and allusion, but the straightforward "Blowing in the Wind" was taken up as a peace anthem at the start of the anti-war movement ten years earlier, and the song will long outlive most of Dylan's other important songs.

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 09:24
The line, "Such a long, long time to be gone, but a short time to be there." by Grateful Dead in the song 'Box of Rain' always got me a bit teary-eyed. Beautiful song.
I could name a lot of Dead songs to be honest, also, Starry Starry Night by Don Mclean and most songs written by Paul Simon.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Just one crazy moment while the dice are cast,

And one from his solo career:

The current affair gets to be my business,
I heard the news on the radio:
the sun on earth... what is this?
Is that the way that the crazy goes?

Attention tuned to the satellites,
looking down for an overview.
In the chapel of space we are acolytes.
In the battle of time we're all soldiers too
and the relative choir push the energy higher
Under fire.

The sliding show in the macroscopic,
finger on the button pointing to progress.
The apparatus roll, no-one here can stop it,
too busy learning more - always knowing less.
Soon turkey-wrapped in the spaceman blanket
we'll offer up lame duck apologies
and settle down for the final banquet,
the gourmet dish of technology...
cryogenic device catches all human life
under ice.

The current affair gets to be all our business,
it's filtered in through the T.V. screen.
The norm, the average...what is this,
when it goes blank what does that all mean?
And what's the drive of each individual?
And what's the way that the story ends?
Is it Mr. X, left as the last residual
holder of the flame, conscience of all men?
But he's so tense to expire
he throws himself on the wire
under fire.

Is this the way the world ends?
Under ice, under fire?
Has there been some mistaken design?
Under ice
got to find the human voice.
Lord, deliver us from Babel.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>