Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll # -45 (or something)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Which three are your favorites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 16:26
Right, so I will go with C.V. Jørgensen (Carsten Valentin Jørgensen, born 1949). He is one of the most acclaimed rock artists in Denmark, especially due to his lyrics which are sometimes rather harsh, but generally very poetic. His early work has inspiration from westcoast rock, J.J. Cale, and things like that, but he became more minimalistic during the 80's, and on his two most recent albums from 1994 and 2002 he moved towards electronica and jazz. Many of his songs are evergreens in Denmark, but he is guaranteed unknown elsewhere. He has released 11 albums between 1974 and 2002 with different musicians and band constellations.

The first song is "Bellevue" from his breakthrough album Storbyens små oaser (The small oases of the big city, 1977).

Lyrics:
Summer Sunday, the nation is taking time off
Some are listening to Arne Myggen
I'm listening to David Bowie
The sun is shining, and the neighbour wife has raised the flag
with Dannebrog on a coffee table
with liqueur and dry cakes
Everything is so simple and so good
Roll her a joint, hand me some pot

Chorus:
The girls at Bellevue
are demonstrating for more equality
somewhat cautious and shy
The sun is always shining at Bellevue

Summer Sunday, the nation is taking time off
On my hi-fi grammo lies Space Oddity
Myggen says thank you and ends his program
What would we have done on this Sunday without him
Roll him a joint, hand me some pot

Chorus

Summer Sunday, the nation is lying as dead
I myself was lying down when the family came to visit
Hi hi, by by, is the anything new?
Well the sun is shining, the music is playing
have a listen
Roll them a joint, hand me some pot

Notes: Bellevue is a beach north of Copenhagen. Arne Myggen was a radio host. Dannebrog is the name of the Danish flag.

Song 2 is "Balladen om Mickey Lama" (The ballad of Mickey Lama) from the 1979 album Solgt til stanglakrids (Done for).

Lyrics:
I don't really know where
but I've got a feeling you are here somewhere
Well hidden in the setting
you may be listening along
And it is practically impossible not to hear what I say
For the walls in this house are thinner than pergament paper

You exist on roulades
And when for once the sea runs high
You're having canned chops
flushed down with some poison-green plonk
And you're so incredibly unhealthy without knowing it yourself
and totally down and out, but human anyway, after all

Chorus:
You're the loneliest being the world has ever seen
and as monk-like sad as Dalai Lama from Tibet
And you have a more awkward sex life than Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse
And you only contact the opposite sex via Penthouse

Guitar solo (!)

I can hear a Super 8 narrow-gauge film projector ticking
And at any time I expect the dull sound of a loaded gun clicking
They are showing one X-ray movie after another
of a type that could easily create more than just panic in Cannes

Your everyday is a non stop live show
where the same scene is played over and over again
You know your role by heart
plus every cue word specifically to this one
But you have been tackling your talent with meaningless repetition
And for the same reason you're no longer able to be anything for anyone

Chorus

Song 3 is "Sæsonen er slut" (The season is over) from the 1980 album Tidens tern (The check patterns of our time).

Lyrics:
Another party, another fest
Another glass has been emptied by you
Another summer is gone
but was once again neglected
Another caress, another kiss
Another dance is over
You're still dizzy
but unredeemed on the inside

Chorus
The summer is gone now
And it almost flew away
You stand back empty-handed and cannot follow
Things blacken before your eyes
while you are staring and watching
as another dead heat is running away with you as a blind passenger
Once more, but then never again

Guitar solo

Chorus

Another downturn, another joke
Another lie is told
And you have reached the point
where you believe everything
Another star, another sun
Another light is fading out
But the darkness feels like velvet
on your silk skin

Chorus

Song 4 is "Indian Summer" from the 1988 album of the same name.

Lyrics:
We are life and light
We are shadows and magic
We are each other's alibi
We are life and light

We are flesh and blood
We are senses, we are power
We are ourselves with contempt for death
We are flesh and blood

Life and light
Life and light
Life and light

We are skin and bones
We are dreams laid on ice
We are the lost paradise
We are skin and bones

We are body and soul
We are nerves, we are steel
We are dust in meters
We are body and soul

Life and light
Life and light
Life and light

Chorus:
All of us are going round, searching obsessively
Some find something, and others find themselves
Everyone is losing something that no one can replace
Some are going around killing time

We are life and light
We are enigmas without words
We are beads on a string
We are life and light

We are everything
We are naked, we are small
We are the ones that no one is thinking of
We are everything

Life and light
Life and light
Life and light

Chorus

Edited by The Anders - December 09 2020 at 14:36
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 08:34
Wonderful idea, Mike.

Is possible to select a singer who sings covers?
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Wonderful idea, Mike.

Is possible to select a singer who sings covers?

Of course. 

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 12:55
My Morning Jacket

I don't think I have heard this band before, but I might have stumbled across the band name some time. The first song, "One Big Holiday", left me a bit indifferent, but "Smokin' and Shootin'" is really great, especially the way it builds up. And we even get one of the ultimate "cult chords" towards the end, namely the minor subdominant.

"Higly Suspicious" is quite a departure from the above. I have to say, I find the singing here quite annoying, but I guess there is some irony present in the song? I like the way the song evolves. But I wouldn't have guessed it is the same band if I didn't know in advance.

"It Beats 4 U". It seems to be the ultimate pop-smartness to write "4 U" instead of "for you", but fortunately there is no pop-smartness about the song. We're more in indie-land here with quite a gloomy feeling. The band really has a wide spand in terms of musical style. I like it a lot better than "Highly Suspicious".

And then finally there is a piano ballad. Ever since Adele the have been a lot of piano ballads that sound pretty much the same, but thankfully this one is a different type, and I guess it is a lot older. It's very laid back and melancholic, and I really like the pedal steel coming in at times. Very beautiful song. Especially the outro!

My favourites: "Smokin' and Shootin'", "It Beats 4 U" and "Moving Away".
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 13:30
I'm getting a strange error. It says that I have edited my post, but it's not taking on the edits (tried again and again), so I'll mention it here. My total time was 32:41, so I knew I would need to remove material (removing "Blue" would be simplest even if a fave of mine which shows more versatility and is one Pram's best regarded albums, but otherwise I'd have to remove two songs to get it in the time limit).

By the way, at first I wanted to do Stereolab, Serge Gainsbourg, or Air or Broadcast, but figured Pram would come off as rather fresher in the series.

So kindly disregard Blue as a contender in the selection for my Pram list. This I can edit, so been something to do with the embeds.

Edited by Logan - November 27 2020 at 14:55
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 14:27
Seems a one by one approach has its advantages...

So I'm nailing down my featured band here playing the first track I heard of them, on a good local radio station back when I was still in Germany. The track convinced me on the spot, I bought that album and over time most of their material, and they never let me down. I thought a bit about whether I should feature the abstract experimental electronic side of my taste here but these guys are probably my favourite band of those that are neither on PA nor have I played any of their material in one of these polls. To the untrained ear one track may sound like another, but they are really unique and their mix of noise soundscapes and rhythm almost always hits the right tone for me. And ultimately they do mutate...

Here's Shift by Austria's Radian.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

My Morning Jacket

I don't think I have heard this band before, but I might have stumbled across the band name some time. The first song, "One Big Holiday", left me a bit indifferent, but "Smokin' and Shootin'" is really great, especially the way it builds up. And we even get one of the ultimate "cult chords" towards the end, namely the minor subdominant.

"Higly Suspicious" is quite a departure from the above. I have to say, I find the singing here quite annoying, but I guess there is some irony present in the song? I like the way the song evolves. But I wouldn't have guessed it is the same band if I didn't know in advance.

"It Beats 4 U". It seems to be the ultimate pop-smartness to write "4 U" instead of "for you", but fortunately there is no pop-smartness about the song. We're more in indie-land here with quite a gloomy feeling. The band really has a wide spand in terms of musical style. I like it a lot better than "Highly Suspicious".

And then finally there is a piano ballad. Ever since Adele the have been a lot of piano ballads that sound pretty much the same, but thankfully this one is a different type, and I guess it is a lot older. It's very laid back and melancholic, and I really like the pedal steel coming in at times. Very beautiful song. Especially the outro!

My favourites: "Smokin' and Shootin'", "It Beats 4 U" and "Moving Away".

Thank you for the low down on this.  It's true that the band has grown and has a lot of versatility, some tracks take longer to get used to than others, but I wanted to show the band's variety through the years.  There are many fans that would probably curse me for picking some of the tracks that I did here, but I think these tracks show how well-rounded they are.  As for the first track "One Big Holiday", this is their oldest studio track out of the 5 that I posted, and it really translates much better in a true live setting.  I've seen them a few times live, and the audience always seems to come away from it like they have just had an amazing experience.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 14:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm getting a strange error. It says that I have edited my post, but it's not taking on the edits (tried again and again), so I'll mention it here. My total time was 32:41, so I knew I would need to remove material (removing "Blue" would be simplest even if a fave of mine which shows more versatility and is one Pram's best regarded albums, but otherwise I'd have to remove two songs to get it in the time limit).

By the way, at first I wanted to do Stereolab, Serge Gainsbourg, or Air or Broadcast, but figured Pram would come off as rather fresher in the series.

Sorry about having to make a time limit on this.  It made it difficult for me too when picking my posts, but I had to draw the line somewhere.  However, you have got my curiosity going, so I'm sure I'll be listening to "Blue" anyway (on my own).

Edited by TCat - November 27 2020 at 14:53

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 15:00
First impressions from Page One so far.  Again, great idea for a poll, a good way to figure out who the artists are by a more intensive listen of just one person or group.  

Mike:  My Morning Jacket “One Big Holiday”  Nice, rocking beginning, goes into a guitar lead straightaway.  A bit of an alt/country/rock sound to the band, I’d heard of them, but never had heard them.  I like the raw sound of the band, reminiscent a bit of the Buffalo Springfield to my ear.  I definitely get the feeling they’d be great to see live. “Smokin’ from Shootin’”  This one is moodier, beginning with trainlike sounds, on a pedal steel, perhaps?  A ballad.  In the middle, the guitar lead has almost a psych feel to it.  Comes to a crescendo, then fades out with a sort of siren sound (police?  ambulance?) “Highly Suspicious”  I see why you referenced Prince, lol.  I like these guys, they have a good sense of humour.  This one has more of a funk/soul sound to it, with lots of fuzzy, wonky guitar sounds and a steady beat throughout.  “It Beats 4 U”  Back to a driving beat with drums and some repeating guitar picking.  Another ballad, but it sounds like this one is going along much better than the Smokin’ from Shootin’ combination of two people.  Vocals use a bit of reverb, a bit of wistfulness and also hope in this one.  Concludes with whistling?  Or a theremin sound? Or the pedal steel? Not sure how they did that, but it was cool.  “Movin’ Away”  Another wistful ballad, with piano and drums.  Making changes is always hard.  I enjoyed the versatility of this band, you did a get a great balance in the song order, which is part of this kind of a process, too. 

Logan:  Pram  “Radio Freak in a Storm”  Here is a sort of singsong whispery female vocal, with some nice plinkies and some repetitive organ and screaky violin sounds.  The song is about outer space, and indeed the organ sound, as it fades back and forth makes me think of stars blinking.  Ends with the violin sound, maybe the way a voice sounds way out in space?  “Blue”  This one starts with some horns, drums and almost traffic-horn beeps and bursts.  There are some electronic meanderings, with the vocals way back in the mix, actually the production of this one is very subdued.  This one about someone who seems to be cold and aloof, but the singer is reminding them that they are human, after all.  Goes into a horn lead with washes of horns and organ interspersed.   This gets into a very psychedelic style jam as it ends.  “Serpentine”  This one has a pensive and suspenseful beginning, making an apt setting for the morose lyrics.  Horns and washes are in this one as well, with some clinky percussive noises.   Echo-y horns come in with plinky bits of electric guitar and a repeating plucked guitar phrase.  Walks out eerily with keyboards.  “The Doors of Empty Cupboards”  Here is some theremin (or soundalike) and organ to open the piece, with guitar washes rising up and drums, again, subdued production.  Another fairly psychedelic feel to this, a bit of a feeling of madness, with the house tilting and the nightmare corridors.  Farfisa-like organ and horns jam together a bit, with some electric piano underpinnings.  “Mother of Pearl”  This one is a bit more upbeat, with an almost klezmer feel to the horns (some of them, anyway, as there are really two different types of horns).  There are some staccato strings of some sort, and then the klezmer kicks in again.  It’s almost a feeling of humour in the music, but it belies the subject, perhaps the singer is just amused by the person’s way of being and relating to her.  “Penny Arcade”  A sort of maybe bad trip feeling to this one.  More psych-y washes, this time the vocalist is more up front than on the other selections.  Dream worlds, dream landscapes.   More of the theremin-sort of eerie sounds with big sonic “whomps.”  Very spooky piece.

suitkees:  Kat Onoma  “From Pompei”  Dark and brooding male vocalist, with minimal electric guitar at first (a bit reminiscent of the Dream Syndicate, or Velvet Underground to me).  Stark, simple drumming kicks in and then the song fades. A ballad of good-bye. “Intro” I like a sense of humour in a band.  Good for them to have one with their name.  “Riverrun”  This one has kind of a country feel to it (well, with Billy the Kid as the album title, makes sense).  Definitely captures the spirit of galloping alongside a river in the desert, with the pace and the lyrics.  Nice, raw alt/country guitar leads here, too. There are some interesting little quirks to the song, little punctuation points, sonically.  “Que sera votre vie?” Begins with drums beating, then a (mostly) spoken reading of the lyrics come in.  Searing lead kicks in, this has more of a hard-psych feel to me, they also had some string sounds in this (which I really like, as it adds depth here) and more odd sounds punctuating the piece.  Is he speaking to himself, or someone else?  Having an existential crisis, perhaps, or just examining himself or another.  “Artificial Life”  Begins again with the spare electric guitar and drums that are a signature sound of this band.  I like that they have a sound you can identify as them.  Singer again has more of a speaking rather than singing tone, but this is his style.  This one is more driving than the last, I like what they did with the horn solo in about the middle, added a nice dimension (kind of like what happened for my ear with the strings on the previous piece).  “Old Trouble”  Opening with rhythmic percussion and a 1-2-3 count repeated a few times.  Some swirly sounds, this has a kind of old blues sensibility to it, in a way, in the repeated “coming old trouble, coming,” phrase.  Definitely emphasizes this when they add in sort of a gospel chorus.  Again they’ve thrown in a little curve to their basis by the chorus addition. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 15:02
^^ You were right to set such a time limit. Up to 25 minutes per contributor is on the generous side. Not only do limitations make a certain economical/ utilitarian sense, but it can make the challenge in the selection process more stimulating.

^ Very impressive write-up.   

Edited by Logan - November 27 2020 at 15:04
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 15:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ You were right to set such a time limit. Up to 25 minutes per contributor is on the generous side. Not only do limitations make a certain economical/ utilitarian sense, but it can make the challenge in the selection process more stimulating.

^ Very impressive write-up.   
  *curtseys*Smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 18:14
As usual Nickie, great, helpful and insightful write up.  Your words are always appreciated!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 09:02
20 something minutes from a favorite of mine?! that can be a lot of things, it's a tough choice Confused 
I'll try and post something really soon. Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 10:31
My artist suggestion for this poll is singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist Shawn Smith. He was heavily a part of the Seattle "grunge" community in the 90's and has been a member of several bands (Brad, Satchel, Pigeonhed, and others) along with solo releases. Unfortunately, he passed away last year due to an aortic tear/high blood pressure. He was only 53 years old. He was vastly under-recognized.

First up, is a track from his second solo album released in 2003. It's a song written in memory of Andrew Wood, who was the lead singer of Mother Love Bone, a band poised for success but Wood died from a drug overdose prior to release of their debut album. Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard of Mother Love Bone went on to form Pearl Jam. This song was also in an episode of the Sopranos (as were several others by Shawn Smith).

Shawn Smith - "Wrapped In My Memory"

Second is the a track from the debut album by the band Brad released in 1993. This band also has Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam. This shows a funky side which is prevalent throughout Smith's work. He was admittedly heavily influenced by Prince. There's a really good live version of Purple Rain that is on YouTube with Smith by himself at the piano. 

Brad - "20th Century"

Third is a track from the debut album by Satchel released in 1994. The song was featured in a couple of films.

Satchel - "Suffering"

Fourth is another track that was on the Sopranos. A remixed version released by the Lo Fidelity All-Stars was an alternative rock hit in States. This version is better in my opinion. Another funky track, it is from the duo called Pigeonhed. The other half of the band is Steven Fisk, who was the guitarist for Pell Mell on the track "Nothing Lies Still Long" I posted in the short instrumental poll. The Prince influence is strong in this one.

Pigeonhed - "Battle Flag"

Finally, I wanted a live track. Taken from the same concert as the "Purple Rain" cover I mentioned above. This track was originally released on Brad's second album. This is just Shawn at the piano recorded 5 years ago.

Shawn Smith - "The Day Brings"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 13:52
Listened to Page Two (so far, possibly) this am.  Waiting to include Lewian until he continues with the pieces he's selecting.  

The Anders:  C.V. Jørgensen “Bellevue”  This starts as a nice, airy piece, and in reading the lyrics, it’s a holiday sort of day, so it’s very fitting. Nice to hear something upbeat.  Singer has a bit of a nasal quality (that’s just an observation, not criticism).  Pretty, light guitar lead.  Definitely a feel of summer here, a danceable song, really.  “Balladen om Mickey Lama”  Nice punchy bass, guitar and drums opens the song.  He seems to be criticizing this person, who has an empty existence (and is he perhaps a celebrity person? Or a neighbour?).  Here he kind of reminds me to David Cousins, sarcasm dripping from his lyrics.   I like the changes about halfway in, intriguing bass and lead guitar.   "Sæsonen er slut" Here is an ode to the end of summer, things started with so much promise, then faded into nothing (perhaps a summer relationship?)  Not sure if he’s got the same guitarist on all of these (or if it’s him), but I enjoy the guitar on all of these, so far.   Nice organ underpinnings to this gentle rock piece. A bit of wistfulness in the presentation.   “Indian Summer”  Here is another serious piece, again I think of David Cousins.  Couched in a sort of march setting, he sings of how some are endlessly just going through life’s paces, others take a deeper look at their existence.  Again, I really like the way the guitar expresses the lyrics, with an ominous feel to the lead. 

George:  Shawn Smith “Wrapped In My Memory”  More conventional here (coming after Lewian's first selection), this song starts with solo piano.  Gravelly-voiced singer, who is obviously going to tell a tale here.  Nice harmonies kick in, in this reminiscence of his past and someone he misses, a fellow performer who is gone.  And now I see that it is, in looking at your intro (sorry, I just leaped into the song).  With Brad, “20th Century”  Starts off with bass and drums, setting the beat.  Brings in keyboards for a soft, organ sound.  Definitely more funky than the first one. Keeping his gravel, but smoothing it out for the style of the song.  Definitely a “city” song, about a certain side of modern life.   With Satchel “Suffering”  Another piano ballad here, judging from the start.  Here his voice is even more smoothed out, with a southern-bluesy-whiskey scent to it.  Some female vocals chorus in behind him.  Very smooth, subtle production here, as the song builds.  Some organ sound kicks in, then fades into piano and back into the body of the song.  With Pigeonhed “Battle Flag”  This one has some electronic washes in the intro, and then definitely electronic notes bring in the vocals and bass, kind of a funky/rap piece, with soulful, et dissonant harmonies.  Shows his versatility to be able to go into something like this, interesting to see his progression with different styles.  At the end of the song, some funky lead guitar repeats until the outro.  Back solo (well, with Brad), with “The Day Brings”  Here he is, kind of channeling Leon Russell in his looks, although he does do some of that Southern sound, he doesn’t sound like Leon, his is a smoother style, less bayou.  Talented guy, another one gone too soon.  I liked this and “Suffering” the best, this style is really suited to his voice and personality, that you can see with this live performance.  Thank you for the introduction.

Edited by Snicolette - November 28 2020 at 14:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 14:29
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

The Anders:  C.V. Jørgensen “Bellevue”  This starts as a nice, airy piece, and in reading the lyrics, it’s a holiday sort of day, so it’s very fitting. Nice to hear something upbeat.  Singer has a bit of a nasal quality (that’s just an observation, not criticism).  Pretty, light guitar lead.  Definitely a feel of summer here, a danceable song, really.  “Balladen om Mickey Lama”  Nice punchy bass, guitar and drums opens the song.  He seems to be criticizing this person, who has an empty existence (and is he perhaps a celebrity person? Or a neighbour?).  Here he kind of reminds me to David Cousins, sarcasm dripping from his lyrics.   I like the changes about halfway in, intriguing bass and lead guitar.   "Sæsonen er slut" Here is an ode to the end of summer, things started with so much promise, then faded into nothing (perhaps a summer relationship?)  Not sure if he’s got the same guitarist on all of these (or if it’s him), but I enjoy the guitar on all of these, so far.   Nice organ underpinnings to this gentle rock piece. A bit of wistfulness in the presentation.   “Indian Summer”  Here is another serious piece, again I think of David Cousins.  Couched in a sort of march setting, he sings of how some are endlessly just going through life’s paces, others take a deeper look at their existence.  Again, I really like the way the guitar expresses the lyrics, with an ominous feel to the lead.

Thank you for the analysis. I don't know if Mickey Lama is supposed to be a specific person, but he has quite a few songs criticizing celebrity culture.

As for the guitarist, there are three of them. On "Bellevue" and "Balladen om Mickey Lama" it is Ivan Sonne Horn who sadly passed away a few years ago.

The guitarist on "Sæsonen er slut" is an American living in Denmark, Billy Cross, who also produced the album. Before moving to Denmark, he played briefly in the 50's nostalgia band Sha Na Na, and he has also been touring with Bob Dylan (he appears on Bob Dylan at Budokan and Street Legal). In Denmark he has his own band, Delta Cross Band, who are backing musicians on the album.

On "Indian Summer" I think it's Nils Henriksen who became famous in the early 70's prog folk band Culpeper's Orchard (they are on Progarchives actually).

Edited by The Anders - November 28 2020 at 14:32
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 14:58
Here's the title track of Radian's as far as I know first full length album tg11. This album has some of their most radical and uncompromising stuff, going into proper avantgarde territory, although they mostly provide the listener with some rhythm to have something to hold on to. This one is pretty minimalist and a to me pretty successful and actually addictive attempt to make a listener construct music worthwhile to listen to (even meditative) from electronic noises.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:06
I knew a little bit of Iranian music, but Azam Ali is all new to me, so I am going into it with fresh ears.

"Endless Reverie": My first thought was that's what Björk might sound like if she was from the Middle East. The beat sounds like something that might have been from the 90's (sort of folktronica-like), but there is also a clear eastern touch to it in the melody and the drone-like bottom.

"Ben Bode Santa Maria" sounds more Mediterranean to me, f.e. like something from, say, Greece. I really like the vocal phrasings. "Heaven to Dust": I wonder if it's cimbalom we hear in this song. The combination of folk music and electronic beats reminds me of bands such as Hedningarna (Sweden/Finland).

"El Rey de Francia" is another one with a Mediterranean touch to it. The title is Spanish for "The king of France", but the singing language doesn't sound Spanish to me. "Ode to Melancholy" is probably my favourite among them because it builds some tension during the song. Interesting to see the instrument played with a bow. I can't really recognize it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:12

Thank you for the analysis. I don't know if Mickey Lama is supposed to be a specific person, but he has quite a few songs criticizing celebrity culture.

As for the guitarist, there are three of them. On "Bellevue" and "Balladen om Mickey Lama" it is Ivan Sonne Horn who sadly passed away a few years ago.

The guitarist on "Sæsonen er slut" is an American living in Denmark, Billy Cross, who also produced the album. Before moving to Denmark, he played briefly in the 50's nostalgia band Sha Na Na, and he has also been touring with Bob Dylan (he appears on Bob Dylan at Budokan and Street Legal). In Denmark he has his own band, Delta Cross Band, who are backing musicians on the album.

On "Indian Summer" I think it's Nils Henriksen who became famous in the early 70's prog folk band Culpeper's Orchard (they are on Progarchives actually).
  Well, he sure knows how to pick 'em!  Unintended pun, there, too.  Wink  All fine ones, to my ear.
And I'm quite with him on criticizing celebrity culture, he does a good job of it, here.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 15:26

I knew a little bit of Iranian music, but Azam Ali is all new to me, so I am going into it with fresh ears.

"Endless Reverie": My first thought was that's what Björk might sound like if she was from the Middle East. The beat sounds like something that might have been from the 90's (sort of folktronica-like), but there is also a clear eastern touch to it in the melody and the drone-like bottom.

"Ben Bode Santa Maria" sounds more Mediterranean to me, f.e. like something from, say, Greece. I really like the vocal phrasings. "Heaven to Dust": I wonder if it's cimbalom we hear in this song. The combination of folk music and electronic beats reminds me of bands such as Hedningarna (Sweden/Finland).

"El Rey de Francia" is another one with a Mediterranean touch to it. The title is Spanish for "The king of France", but the singing language doesn't sound Spanish to me. "Ode to Melancholy" is probably my favourite among them because it builds some tension during the song. Interesting to see the instrument played with a bow. I can't really recognize it.
  Thank you for your thoughts on Azam Ali, I am glad to see that she was of interest, I worried that she might come across as too "one note."  She does use electronica sounds, depending on what she is doing, that was quite astute of you. 

In the credits, she's listed as playing "hammered dulcimer," I know she studied santur, which is a middle eastern hammered dulcimer, similar to kanun and cimbalom, so good ear.  

El Rey de Francia is a Sephardic/Judeo-Spanish piece, so a medieval form of Spanish with Jewish influence.  

The bowed instrument, played by her husband, Loga Ramin Torkian, is a guitar-viol, a modern invention by Jonathan Eric Wilson.  Loga also plays tar and saz. 

She also has recorded with VAS and Niyaz, Niyaz including Loga Ramin Torkian and has several other solo recordings out besides these two most represented here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>