Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Europa: Top 10 European Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 13:49
1. Area
2. Premiata Forneria Marconi
3. Homunculus Res
4. Mats/Morgan Band
5. Magma
6. Supersister
7. Samla Mammas Manna
8. Can
9. Focus
10. Zao

I'm listening to new stuff all the time but Area being at #1 is unlikely to change
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 17:38
1. Homunculus Res
2. Magma
3. Five-Storey Ensemble
4. Faun
5. Focus
6. Area
7. Klaus Schulze
8. Alio Die
9. The Gathering
10. Ulver

Edited by BrufordFreak - December 31 2020 at 17:39
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 17:59
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Help me fill the gaps, people!

Ah yes, let me peruse my extensive list of classics from Azerbaijan and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Lol. Seriously though, I'd be up for listening to some, I might have a bit of a search later on. Big smile
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 20:00
1) Area
2) Magma
3) Universe Zero
4) Art Zoyd
5) Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
6) Stormy Six
7) Faust

-----
8) Amon Duul II

------

9) Can
10) Osanna

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 31 2020 at 20:02
"Happiness is real only when shared"
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 20:11
1. Logos
2. Ring Van Möbius
3. La Maschera di Cera
4. Apogee
5. Le Grand Sbam
6. Grimény
7. Blank Manuskript
8. Fren
9. Time Structure
10. Scherzoo
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 04:09
my list would resemble closest Ian's

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

tomorrow I could make a totally different list. 
Maybe I should wait until tomorrow then before I add your points on. Wink
are you mocking me or are you not getting the point I was trying to make? 

I don't think he was doing the first , but we're a 150% sure he doesn't realize on the second.

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

That's a really really weird list. It only includes Germany and the Netherlands for some reason. I mean, we're talking European bands here. So I think stuff like RPI would count.

As I said just above... ErmmStern Smile

Belgium
9. Scarved
8. dEUS
7. Echo Collective
6. Dominique Vantomme
5. The Wrong Object
4. Machine Mass
3. douBt
2. Aksak Maboul
1. Helium Horse Fly

now that's an interestingly odd one Wink
I've only heard 4 out of those 9
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 04:20
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Help me fill the gaps, people!

Ah yes, let me peruse my extensive list of classics from Azerbaijan and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Lol. Seriously though, I'd be up for listening to some, I might have a bit of a search later on. Big smile

I have to admit I wasn’t really intending to work my way through the whole of Europe when I started with my ABCs. It was more a reflection that I think I would find it hard to compile a top ten favourite artists from any ONE country - let alone a grouping of more than 40 of the blighters! I’m genuinely surprised that people have so far been able to do so.

If I am ever to compile an overall top 10 favourite European bands (using the Brexit model that Paul has provided), this is honestly the only way I will likely be able to do it, though. In the same way that I was eventually able to work out a overall favourite list of albums from 2020, only after first working out nine lists of favourites vaguely grouped by genre, I can’t see my being able to work out an overall favourite list of European bands, without first working my favourites from each individual country.

So where did I get to....? Ah, yes, D...... 😜

Denmark - probably the first country that I actually have to narrow down to a list of 10?
10. Beyond Twilight
9. Cold Night For Alligators
8. The Interbeing
7. Anubis Gate
6. Town Portal
5. Mew
4. VOLA
3. Feather Mountain
2. Myrkur
1. Afenginn 

Estonia
1. X-Panda

Finland - the first real challenge, with other 50 to choose from! 😱
10. Hallatar 
9. Wheel
8. Karina
7. Superfjord 
6. Pharaoh Overlord
5. Minutian
4. Mikko Joensuu 
3. Pekko Käppi 
2. Onségen Ensemble
1. Kairon; IRSE!

France - another biggie!
10. Igorrr
9. Gojira
8. Klone 
7. Magnesis
6. Jean-Pierre Louveton
5. Grandval
4. The Daedalus Spirit Orchestra
3. Lazuli
2. Magma
1. Nemo

I guess if I stick to three letters of the alphabet at a time, now is a good time to stop. Georgia, Germany and Greece are next, and though Georgia will be easy, the next two are two more biggies, with a long list to narrow down from.....

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 04:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Belgium
9. Scarved
8. dEUS
7. Echo Collective
6. Dominique Vantomme
5. The Wrong Object
4. Machine Mass
3. douBt
2. Aksak Maboul
1. Helium Horse Fly

Given that four of them are connected by one person, it’s tempting to guess that the four you’ve heard of are Vantomme, The Wrong Object, Machine Mass, and douBt - but it’s hard to imagine someone not having heard of Aksak Maboul (apart from Paul - obviously), which leaves me wondering..... 

So, what are the four you’ve heard of? 🤗

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 04:48

No, I wasn't mocking you, but I think you like to take offence when no offence was intended. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 05:02

Belgium
9. Scarved
8. dEUS
7. Echo Collective
6. Dominique Vantomme
5. The Wrong Object
4. Machine Mass
3. douBt
2. Aksak Maboul
1. Helium Horse Fly

Given that four of them are connected by one person, it’s tempting to guess that the four you’ve heard of are Vantomme, The Wrong Object, Machine Mass, and douBt - but it’s hard to imagine someone not having heard of Aksak Maboul (apart from Paul - obviously), which leaves me wondering..... 

Maboul, Mass, TWO, dEUS.

Didn't know of Vantomme and douBt being TWO-related.

No, I wasn't mocking you, but I think you like to take offence when no offence was intended. Smile

PeePee,

What Cristi was saying (IMHO) is that he wouldn't be making the exact same list twice if he did one per day during a whole year, because his tastes and opinions vary every day.

How hard is that to understand? Confused

Edited by Sean Trane - January 01 2021 at 05:06
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 05:54
1 Art Zoyd
2 Can

These two are head and shoulders about everything else really. Actually it's hard to differentiate between them and I'd say Can is top including the solo work, but Art Zoyd is top taking just what was released under their name.

3 Amon Düül II
4 Gong (incl. Pierre Moerlen's Gong)
5 Tangerine Dream
6 Kong
7 Sonar
8 Jaga Jazzist
9 iamthemorning
10 Univers Zero

Bubbling under: Area, Magma, Sigur Ros, Novalis, Kraan, Samla Mamma's Manna, Eloy, Anekdoten...
And of course the question is for bands, so I won't nominate Björk, Luciano Cilio, Holger Czukay, Asmus Tietchens, Didier Malherbe etc.

Edited by Lewian - January 01 2021 at 05:58
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 06:20

[QUOTE=nick_h_nz]
Belgium

Maboul, Mass, TWO, dEUS.

Didn't know of Vantomme and douBt being TWO-related.

Michel Delville plays for them all. Also The Gödel Codex - and probably more. In fact, almost certainly more. I’m yet to not love anything that Michel Delville has put his nimble fingers to.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:15
1. Eloy (Germany)
2. Kayak (Netherlands)
3. Tangerine Dream (Germany)
4. PFM (Italy)
5. Lazuli (France)
6. Fish on Friday (Belgium)
7. Aphrodite's Child (Greece)
8. Riverside (Poland)
9. Opeth (Sweden)
X. Patrick Moraz (Switzerland)

probably the last one doesn't count as Moraz is obviously not a band but rather an artist. Also I assume its not a necessity that they sing in their own language Smile
Arcturion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Arcturion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:19
10: PFM
9: Anglagard
8: Gazpacho
7: Leprous
6: Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
5: Wobbler
4: Pain of Salvation
3: Beardfish
2: Riverside
1: Opeth
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:56
Hi,

This is a very difficult thread to post an actual answer ... and the main reason why is that the newer bands from the past 10 to 20 years will suffer, because they do not have the catalog that the rest of these bands have that make them outstanding and very much a very special listen.

With that said ... I really hate to discuss the "top" 4 ... but they are fairly obvious.

Tangerine Dream (because their live DVD's show how exceptional of a group they were under the direction of Edgar Froese!!!!)

Klaus Schulze (for being himself, when every one did something that was just the same all around.)

Amon Duul 2
Can

The next group ... 

Magma
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (and to think that Giacomo was what the band is about .. .have you heard Transiberiana? Shame on you!)

Gong/Daevid Allen/Gilly Smith (all versions to the end!)

Ange (sad that we can not listen to them and appreciate the great material they created specially in the first 7 albums ... and they are still going!)

PFM (still going and I do miss their very early melodies, vocals and far out instrumental style music, instead of rock song music.)

Ash Ra Tempel/The Cosmic Couriers (I miss these improvisational excursions ... they were fantastic even if some think that a Galactic boogaballoo is too silly ... or something similar. The fact remains that their history is insanely creative and very original.)

Aphrodite's Child (I'm not sure that many of us can handle their great big album, specially when compared to their early pop material ... but the change and the compositional style is awesome and deserves more attention although I think that one musician would likely wet ... none of that ... he would not like it!)

Focus/Kayak/Alquin ('nuff said!)

There are others I would like to include, like RTF and Mahavishnu Orchestra ... and both deserve to be listed, but I have a few things far more exciting to my mind ... than their music, that while fantastic, sometimes is a bit too much about the individual show off than it is about the music itself, though they integrate it well in general!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

This is a very difficult thread to post an actual answer ... and the main reason why is that the newer bands from the past 10 to 20 years will suffer, because they do not have the catalog that the rest of these bands have that make them outstanding and very much a very special listen.
Obviously this is a personal thing, so while I completely understand where you are coming from, I generally find that as much as I love the classic bands, I seem to tend to favour the newer ones.

For example, since I’ve posted my lists for Finland and France, I love bands like Haikara and Tasavallan Presidentti from the former, and Ange and Mona Lisa (to name just two from each country), but none of those made my lists. I suspect as much as I love so many of the great bands from the classic era of RPI, I’ll likely still favour newer bands. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do find it very hard, though, at times to compare/rank between new bands and old - the same way I often find it hard to compare/rank between bands from different genres.

Add those difficulties to not just choosing my favourites from one country, but from (almost) all of Europe, and it’s no wonder it seems an impossibility to me.

But, as I say, this is obviously a personal thing, because plenty of people seem to be managing to do so.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 08:11

Obviously this is a personal thing, so while I completely understand where you are coming from, I generally find that as much as I love the classic bands, I seem to tend to favour the newer ones.
Hi,

Not really personal because there are a lot of modern things I am listening to ... but my only concern was the amount of work done, since one album or two is not enough of a "story" of what the band is about.

Yes, there is a problem here ... we can applaud Mozart and Beethoven and whatever because their history is incredible in terms of amount of work, but a band that had one album is never going to get the track record (yet!) that will allow them to stand up, even if they deserve it ... 

I wish there was a way to vote "equally" so that these things would not be SLANTED like the top bs list that we have with one band having 6 albums in there ... and other bands deserving that have none! That is something that does not say ANYTHING WHATSOEVER about any music ... all it says is that the popular vote is en force and it shows that many folks have heard those 6 or 7 albums but they will never bother to give a complete listen to that one album that is not on the list ... and that's the part that hurts ... just like actors in theater and film, there are about 80% of all folks in acting out of work ... and their chances? Minimal! And the same for a lot of newer things.

I do find it very hard, though, at times to compare/rank between new bands and old - the same way I often find it hard to compare/rank between bands from different genres.
But, as I say, this is obviously a personal thing, because plenty of people seem to be managing to do so.

I have "no country". Born in one that I really have no connection to, went to another that was not that great except for its music, and then came to America. I'm probably as American as anyone else. My choices don't have anything to do with country, I don't think, although some will say that I obviously like the German contingent, but with all due respect, they even had schools of music TEACHING what I call "nothing in music" to get people to go away from the "westernized concepts in music" (as CAN stated in their website) ... so that they would have found/created something new. The other countries did not EXACTLY do that ... France and Italy electrified what they had, with (maybe!!!) folks like PFM, Banco and Le Orme taking a more classical way of looking at music than just a rock song, and in France, they continued their cabaret style of material with expressionism at the very front ... and it was very theatrical and fun, and seeing Ange pay tribute to one of their heroes in the first album, was also important and very neat ... but they knew they were going to be about their "lyric theater" ... not a song per se.

This is what is hard to compare ... some were not about the "song" like things are today, when the majority of folks are voting because of the songs they like, and too many of the newer bands, it has become about one or two songs, not the whole amount of music ... Dream Theater is a very good example ... and it's like ... you're kidding me ... the rest is crap? No it's not ... it's very well defined musically, even though the metal style has a tendency to hide everything. Other bands fit into the same mold.

I would have liked to put together a book on the German scene, but I think a lot of folks will not help me with it ... because I would be looking for painters, writers, musicians and other folks ... and thus the words of EF in that one krautrock special will get completely wasted ... because we not only do not listen to things anymore (just our favorites!) and we do not read anymore ... just the Cliff Notes variety in Wiki ... if that! I built the ideas I have from many films, many books, many plays, many writers and many film makers ... many of which were right next to the musicians ... and this type of "collusion" is what centers my tastes ... the arts coming together and they are meaningful for that time and place ... whereas, for example, ANGE is not as meaningful to the time and place they were at, as most of the Germans were ... however, they could have been making a comment about the "harlequins" as the hippies on the street stoned immaculate and not bringing anything to the table ... a senseless expression!

None of the music, for me, is senseless, and it has a reason to be there ... and this is the reason why so many "songs" in the listings are not the measure of things, because otherwise things like Country Joe, Richie Havens, Creedence Clearwater Revival and many others ... would win those votes and tallies easily ... because many of the things after were very hollow by comparison.

All in all, "my generation" had a bunch of groups and artists that were valuable and important, and it was not about their "preferences" ... it was about what they did, and left behind ... an incredible history ... and this is what my opening comment is about ... I wish I had more from the newer bands, because I did not like to have to compare a new band to an old band. Why the fudge would I bother comparing Beethoven to Stravinsky ... ? What's the point?

Edited by moshkito - January 02 2021 at 08:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 07:35
wobbler
vespero
sonar
jean michel jarre
tangerine dream
gong
lizard
nil
kotebel
fromuz

The results of this "poll" will be interesting. With the field so wide open, everyone will have completely different lists. I think you will have a bunch of bands all clumped together in the 30-35 point region, with maybe a couple that exceed that. With the small sample size you'll get from PA members, and the wide open field of choices, even though you will ordain a "winner", it will not be statistically significant.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 07:39
Looking at the voting so far, I think Tangerine Dream is going to win, with Can a close second, especially after I gave Tangerine Dream a good head start by putting them in first place. Smile
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:05
Univers Zero
Anekdoten
Ulver
Landberk
Tangerine Dream
PFM
Enslaved
Celeste
The Gathering
Opeth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>