0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 05:58
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is difficult because there are so many possibilities for different reasons. For example, a track that I posted very recently in the A-Z thread, Peter Hammill - Stranger Still, speaks to me in a personal way, and I even changed my signature to a lyric from that track. Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, my all time favourite track, is probably too long for this poll. Van der Graaf Generator - Lost or Van der Graaf Generator - Pioneers Over C are my next favourite shorter tracks. Peter Hammill - Mr X (Gets Tense) is my favourite Peter Hammill track from a musical perspective. Or I could go for the most important track in my musical life:

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including "Mirrors")

You like to win easily, dont you?Wink

We've never posted songs THIS famous in the interactive polls. LOL
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 07:56

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Bruce Springsteen feat. Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad (live)

Video removed for space.  Lorenzo, I can't see this one here, is there more info you can give so I can find the exact one?  Your story is very moving with this, I want the right pairing.

Does it work?
https://youtu.be/mzRbeHyIomk
  It does, thank you!  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 07:57
One of my all time favorites   ...song and artist....my mom and brother both died some years back not far apart, and this song always captured that for me.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 14 2021 at 07:58
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 15:14
Enjoy this poll everyone, sadly I won't be able to participate in it because of the songwriting retreat I will be taking part in in a few days. But I will be back for the next one.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 15:28

Bruce Springsteen feat. Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad (live)

Video removed for space.  Lorenzo, I can't see this one here, is there more info you can give so I can find the exact one?  Your story is very moving with this, I want the right pairing.

Does it work?
https://youtu.be/mzRbeHyIomk
  It does, thank you!  Smile

Good!

My official nomination is:

in the comments on youtube you can read the lyrics
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Enjoy this poll everyone, sadly I won't be able to participate in it because of the songwriting retreat I will be taking part in in a few days. But I will be back for the next one.

Ah, that's too bad as I love to hear your choices as well as your insights into the music. Have fun at the retreat.

By the way, I was going to mention this earlier, and your post helped me to remember. I'd love to hear from as many people as people about a song that is really meaningful/ special to you. So in that regard, if it seems appropriate for those who don't feel they can take part in the voting and listening process, maybe you would still like to mention a choice and mention that you can't participate in the full process when you post your choice. I could then add those to the poll with asterisks to indicate that these are choices from people who don't intend to fully participate. Then it could be up to others if they want to consider those choices to vote on, or they could be treated like bonus tracks (an extra bonus vote, I kind of like the extra vote idea).

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 19:44
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 20:47
This really is a guilty pleasure kind of poll and i'm gonna go out there with one of my favorite tracks of all time. 

This song by Albert Lee is also guilty of making me feel like getting up and doing something positive (or at the least to air guitar and spin around the room !! 

So, I thought i'd treat the poll to a special live rendition of "Country Boy" with some really exciting accompanying guests musicians. Bon appétit!

Edited by tigerfeet - September 14 2021 at 20:59
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 21:25

So, coming up with ideas of songs to nominate was fairly quick. Deciding on one wasn’t too bad. But then trying to write this up wasn’t so easy. And now looking back, I ended up writing much more than I had intended.

The song is “Not Coming Down” by Sound of Contact from the album Dimensionaut. The band only lasted for one album with notably Simon Collins (son of Phil) on lead vocals and drums and Dave Kersner on keyboards, guitar, and backing vocals. The album is a sci-fi concept album of an unnamed man who travels time, space, and dimensions. He struggles with isolation and loneliness and tries to reunite with his soulmate. Many of the songs do stand alone outside the arc of the story, which is part of what I like about the album. The story doesn’t hold up much to me. But the themes do. The music is very much crossover prog and the hooks are good though it does run long  at nearly 74 minutes.  A solid album, released in 2013. The song ended up sticking with me in 2015.

In March of 2015, my youngest brother was getting married in Thailand, and I flew from Florida to California to meet my parent and my other brother and his family so we would all fly to Thailand together. Second night I was at my parent’s house, my dad collapsed and had to be hospitalized. He had a blockage in his small intestine and would need a noninvasive endoscopic procedure. He and my mom would not be able to make my brother’s wedding. The surgery would take place the day before we were to fly out. But it got delayed and my brother, his family, and I left the day before. Now for reasons I am still not sure of, he couldn’t get an endoscopy and the surgeon had to cut into him, which prior to us leaving was explained as something risky at my father’s age (he was 86) and they would need to get signed permission. The result was my mom was alone to make that decision when it happened, and she agreed to it but not understanding fully about the possible consequences. My dad got a serious infection as a result and ended up in the hospital for weeks and then in a nursing facility. I ended up flying back and forth between California and Florida several times.

My phone at the time didn’t have much memory so I had a limited number of albums to listen to as I flew cross country and didn’t really have much thought about adding or replacing music. The album and this song were there and it stuck with me as I played it on my flights back and forth. The theme of the song is open to interpretation, and I projected my dad’s fragile state as what he wasn’t coming down from. I listened to it countlessly.

My dad had moments where it seemed like he would recover, but in the end, he was placed in hospice and passed away four months from the time he had collapsed. I was able to bring my son out a  couple of times on my trips out and back so that was good. My dad and I did not have any common tastes in music so I doubt he would have cared for this. And while it’s anchored to the end of his life, it is one of the few songs that makes me think of him.

So that’s my story. Later on, I found out that most of the song had been written by Dave Kerzner and it was inspired by the passing of his friend Kevin Gilbert (Toy Matinee, Giraffe) and the “fragility of life”.

The video is pretty good. I had not watched it before until I was looking for it on YouTube.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 23:02
That is very moving, George, and I'm so sorry for your loss.  In some ways it's similar to what I went through with my dad.  The song I most associate with that time is Khan's "Hollow Stone".

I'm quite uncomfortable sharing this, but Nick Drake's "River Man" is a very important song to me which I only discovered  a few years ago during a dark time in my life.  Suffice to say, my best friend killed himself a few years ago after going missing for a couple of weeks. I tried to reassure the mother who would call me every day while he was missing, while I tried to contact the police frequently and tried to talk to them differently to warn them about certain concerns, but never got a response from the investigating officer who I was told was the only one with which to speak.  Police didn't listen, my predictions all came true, and the mother blamed me for his death -- apparently I had made her not concerned enough, but I was very concerned.  I only found out about his death later from a friend who told me the family blamed me. I blamed myself thinking about what I could have done differently, replaying things over and over again in my head, and thinking about what more I should have done.  My depression became very bad which led to a life changing incident with me (my attempt that I think helped lead to a stroke).  During my convalescence (I'll never be quite the same), I found this song, and while it is so melancholy, I also found it cathartic.  It moves me hugely and I find it life-affirming in a way.  Before I knew Nick Drake died at 26 due to an overdose of antidepressants (the same age I married), this song I already found profoundly beautiful and moving.  It has helped me to deal with my sadness and regrets, feelings of desperation, worthlessness, isolation, guilt and alienation.  I so wish Nick Drake was still with us (he's be old now), and my friend, but the song has helped me to deal with the trauma of his death and any trauma I caused my family.  That song deeply resonates with me.

Edited by Logan - September 14 2021 at 23:09
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Ah, that's too bad as I love to hear your choices as well as your insights into the music. Have fun at the retreat.

By the way, I was going to mention this earlier, and your post helped me to remember. I'd love to hear from as many people as people about a song that is really meaningful/ special to you. So in that regard, if it seems appropriate for those who don't feel they can take part in the voting and listening process, maybe you would still like to mention a choice and mention that you can't participate in the full process when you post your choice. I could then add those to the poll with asterisks to indicate that these are choices from people who don't intend to fully participate. Then it could be up to others if they want to consider those choices to vote on, or they could be treated like bonus tracks (an extra bonus vote, I kind of like the extra vote idea).

Well, the thing is, I have almost too many choices in that category, and much of it is something which people here most probably know already. But I will think about it and see if I can come up with something.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:58
Since I had intended for this to be a lightning round (two days for nominations, two days to vote), I was expecting ones from various people that likely would be well-known, and so asked people not to exclude the known from the voting.  I thought that having some known ones would make listening easier in a time crunch.  My choice is well-known ("River Man") and I nominated that in another round (easy choice for me), and a choice like "21st Century Schizoid Man" would be very well-known at the forum. But of course it's up to you, and hopefully you can think of something that feels extra special  to you somehow.  If there aren't a lot of nominations, and it looks like there won't be, even if people can't fully participate, I probably won't bother with the asterisks idea and just have those as regular votes.  This topic didn't build up the energy and steam that I thought it might.  A sense of urgency helps with a lightning round.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 11:29
George and Greg, both very moving stories.  Thank you for sharing them with us.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 13:40
Thank you Nickie, there is catharsis in sharing as long as it seems someone is caring.  I didn't feel at the time I had anyone willing to really listen, which made my state worse. 

It was a difficult situation to be in, trying to console someone on the one hand and taking a completely tack with the police expecting they would listen to my concerns and take them seriously.  The police handled it the opposite way I warned them about, and never tried to contact me.  I'm okay with the mother blaming me as she must have been in tremendous grief and really feeling very guilty, and I expect the policeman in charge wouldn't want to admit to any culpability, but I am not okay with the way police failed to deal with or address my concerns.  I never complained to them, but I wish I had.  I would always tell my mother to register complaints when wrong was done or something was handled badly,  She would tell me, "Well, there's no point now, it's done.  No need to stress more about it,"  I'd say, whether it helps you or not, the point is so it is less likely to happen to someone else.  One does feel powerless in so many situations and in so many one ultimately is powerless.   

On another note: if there are no more nominations coming soon, since this has slowed to a trickle, I would like to consider putting the nominations up sooner.  Nickie, I'd say if putting up your poll on the weekend is more convenient and beneficial, then you should do so.  Just my thoughts.  I actually see little issue with polls overlapping, and in fact we still see older Interactive Polls getting bumped with comments and votes since not everyone can get that done in the allotted time or has some further comments to make.  I feel guilty about an earlier conceived poll that was planned to be done a little earlier, I pointed out the schedule, and then the poll was decided against.  My heart was in the right place (well-meaning), but I think I addressed it badly and should have just left it to Lorenzo instead of sharing my 122 pence.  You know the saying, the road to hell is paved with good intentions (I'd add bad intentions -- lol).  This poll of course was me trying something on the fly to see if it could work as a little stopgap Interactive corollary idea of a poll when there were delays due to circumstances.  I, like others, am quite addicted to the series.

Edited by Logan - September 15 2021 at 13:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 13:49
Hello Greg:  Yes, the same reasoning for reporting past abuse (of varying kinds), to try and stop someone else's suffering from it.  I am sorry you felt so alone then, but perhaps now you have some better resources and trusted friends, should you need them.

I'll see how things go, again, a very busy week here, I wouldn't fret about how the poll was entered, often a weekend allows more people to participate, which I why I prefer to have two of them in a poll, you've not yet had one weekend, even if it's meant to be more rapid response.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 13:57
^ Have two full weekends for yours.  I never wanted this to delay your poll and wouldn't have done it had I thought it might.  It wasn't my turn and I wasn't considering this as part of the official series (a non canon round).  As you say, this was meant to be rapid response.  I wanted to see if quick ones here and there might work, even if they have very limited participation.  If people are still voting when your poll goes up, I don't have a problem with that. We've had several interactive polls responded to recently.  At the same time, I don't want to step on your toes or Lorenzo's or anyone's feet.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 15:04

Uff, I hope this is not too late? I was busy and I overlooked Greg's announcement of the new poll in the team thread. To choose just one of my favourite tracks/songs in such a short period of time and additionally a short one, is almost impossible for me atm. I'm listening to so many different music genres but I finally decided to post this one which is very close to my heart. It is an instrumental version of a Macedonian folk song performed with two acoustic guitars.

Vlatko Stefanovski: is considered one of the most important jazz rock guitarists in the Balkans and he is at the same time the founder of the legendary former Yugoslav/Macedonian jazz/ethno/prog rock band Leb i Sol (engl. Bread & Salt, 1970s).

Miroslav Tadić: is a renowned and internationally appreciated guitarist and composer from Serbia.

Since I did contain myself from sharing long music pieces so far, I allow myself to exceptionally nominate a piece of almost ten minutes since this is an iconic Macedonian song and also improvisiation is an essential part of this collaboration. It would definitely take too much time to go through their entire discography. I hope you can forgive me for once and accept my song, Greg?

Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadić: Jovano, Jovanke

Edited by Mila-13 - September 15 2021 at 17:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 15:13
^ I'll forgive you just this once. ;)  Just kidding, it's no problem at all, Mila.  I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to embed it (you can edit again).  Listening now to it, and hugely appreciating it.

And now I'm really pleased that the nomination stage was extended.  

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 15:18
And I thought a miracle had happened! LOL
Thank you very much for accepting my song, Greg!

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 15:59
Your story was very harrowing to read, Greg; what a horrible situation to be in. I wish nothing but the best for you and your family.

I would like to nominate a song as well if I still may. I can think of many songs that make me feel happy and powerful, many more songs that make me feel sad, melancholic and regretful. This song has made me feel both depending on my mood at the time, sometimes both simultaneously, it has a strange effect on me.

In spite of the dark lyrical imagery it has a sort of happy, bittersweet tone to it. I interpret it as a song of resignation, realizing that we have very little control over our circumstances and the things that face us in life, and simply going with the flow, seeing where life takes us and trying to make the best of it. Around the time I first heard it I had a minor obsession with desolate landscape paintings with roads stretching out to the horizon with no landmarks, or simply stopping (Vincent van Gogh's Wheatfield With Crows and Anselm Kiefer's Bohemia Lies By The Sea are two that stand out to me to this day); Where will the road take us? If it stops do we push on through the wilderness? If we go far enough will we find some sort of goal, an end to our struggles, even any sort of beacon to help us guide our way?

I've suffered from depression in addition to other psychological ailments for over a decade and the past two years have been more unkind to me than most, but I am receiving proper help now and I believe myself to be on a road to recovery. At present, this song, which in the past only made me feel more hopeless and alone, now serves to bring me a sense of comfort and of coming to terms with my place in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>