0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:02
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

The nice thing about books you don’t remember is that you can read them again. It won’t be an all new experience, but with a decade or more between, a lot must have been forgotten. I just finished Bag of Bones for the second time. I had some suspicions at the start, but managed to read 1/4 of the book before realizing I’d read it before.

Hi,

There are some that you DON'T want to read again, because they are ... yeah!

Try Mathew Gregory Lewis' THE MONK. When you get done you won't be thinking Stephen King at all ... and written in 1796 ... to give you an idea, another monster book also influenced by the bloodshed on the guillotines in France, but it has less blood and more something else! Its horror is ... you can't make a movie of it, it's that strong!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The nice thing about books you don’t remember is that you can read them again. It won’t be an all new experience, but with a decade or more between, a lot must have been forgotten. I just finished Bag of Bones for the second time. I had some suspicions at the start, but managed to read 1/4 of the book before realizing I’d read it before.

Hi,

There are some that you DON'T want to read again, because they are ... yeah!

Try Mathew Gregory Lewis' THE MONK. When you get done you won't be thinking Stephen King at all ... and written in 1796 ... to give you an idea, another monster book also influenced by the bloodshed on the guillotines in France, but it has less blood and more something else! Its horror is ... you can't make a movie of it, it's that strong!

yep; the monk kills his mother and has sex with his sister (without knowing who either are) and winds up with all bones broken at the bottom of a valley or canyon (I don't remember which) with hot sun above where he slowly and painfully dies and winds up in hell. and all because he committed the deadly sin of pride and was led astray by the devil for this

Edited by BaldJean - December 06 2021 at 10:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:22
From this list - The Stand. I do like his short stories too - The Night Shift has some great ones. I first read The Mist when it formed part of a collection called Dark Forces edited by Kirby McCauley. There are some great stories in this book if you ever get hold of a copy, from 1980:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Forces_(book)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 19:55
It and Pet Sematary are my favorites. 

I also love 22/11/1963, Needful Things, Under the Dome, Misery and The Green Mile among others (I don't rate The Stand as highly as others do). He's easily my favorite author.

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 20:32
The only SK book I've read was bag of bones. It took me about four years to finish it. LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 20:53
LOL    The only King I ever read completely was a short story called Survivor Type, also known as "Lady Fingers", famous among adolescents in the '80s for being particularly grim.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2021 at 18:00
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

yep; the monk kills his mother and has sex with his sister (without knowing who either are) and winds up with all bones broken at the bottom of a valley or canyon (I don't remember which) with hot sun above where he slowly and painfully dies and winds up in hell. and all because he committed the deadly sin of pride and was led astray by the devil for this

Hi,

I think that this is the main reason why folks won't bother reading this book, or a lot of the Gothic Literature history stuff ... a lot of it, has a different sensibility than the mememe idea and style that SK uses, which to me is not as strong as otherwise ... they are just some sort of news stories, a throwback to the material used in theaters in the 30's (when there was a lack of material and plays were created reading newspapers and such).

Some folks think that it is my condescending idea about literature, but, as I mentioned before in a music thread, when you read or listen as much as I do, you don't exactly consider one better than the other, just that SK is not one that has enough "depth" for me to enjoy ... the stories seem empty for me, and many times, just like a newsreel. 

That doesn't say a lot of good things about literature, always making it look like it has to be bigger than it really is, or should, but that's not an idea I would want to debate at all ... it goes both ways. SK simply is not interesting for me, and I would not say that he is a bad writer. Few people that can write that much are not good enough to do what they do. It's just not my thing, and too many of the stories, again, feel that they are overdone, and sometimes I feel the stuff is gratuitous, which, of course, some of the films made off his stuff made sure it was seen. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 06:46
To the pretentious person above:

You have no idea about SK's "stories". You may comment on his literary style, but by only reading "few" of his books, you ought to go no further than that. I don't like Neil Gaiman's literary style very much, but I wouldn't comment on his storytelling competence (or the lack thereof) with my very limited knowledge of his stories.

I created a thread about the computer games Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II. You said "neither of them" is among your favourites. I can bet all my fortune on your cluelessness about those games. At least, specifically about Baldur's Gate II. It is nothing like "your" game WoW. Infinitely more sophisticated and demands some serious D&D knowledge to fully grasp it.

For your information, those "some folks" are very much aware of many things here. You cannot get away with "you're misinterpreting my post" type of cheap tricks.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 11 2021 at 07:49
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I created a thread about the computer games Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II. You said "neither of them" is among your favourites. I can bet all my fortune on your cluelessness about those games. At least, specifically about Baldur's Gate II. It is nothing like "your" game WoW. Infinitely more sophisticated and demands some serious D&D knowledge to fully grasp it.

I have really only done 2 games, and have NEVER participated in a thread on other games, unless you want to discuss Lemmings! I was one of the first and originals in EQ and then WOW when EQ blew out its great players and many of them went to Blizzard, and are still there. They were the best players in that game, before going to WOW, and some of the best known "players" in the game. 

For your information, those "some folks" are very much aware of many things here. You cannot get away with "you're misinterpreting my post" type of cheap tricks.

Right. Like you are? I have never stated that I know and others don't or vice versa. I merely stated what I thought was an opinion, and not a fact. You, otherwise, don't know the difference!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 04:24

I have really only done 2 games, and have NEVER participated in a thread on other games

Oh really?

Here's the link: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124484

Here's a part from YOUR post there: "But I have to admit that all of a sudden the simplicity of BG and D2 is much more attractive than the rest of the stuff ..."

"The simplicity of BG"? Can you explain that to me?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 06:52

I have really only done 2 games, and have NEVER participated in a thread on other games
Here's a part from YOUR post there: "But I have to admit that all of a sudden the simplicity of BG and D2 is much more attractive than the rest of the stuff ..."

"The simplicity of BG"? Can you explain that to me?

Hi,

I think you are intentionally misinterpreting the whole thing to simply make your point more valid. My only valid point in that whole thing was that neither game meant a whole lot for me, and I found it too limiting. Specially EQ in the early days, and its first many years, when in essence it was the players that developed the game with their ability to have the characters do something that was not considered or coded.

No other game was that exciting and featured a wow level that was not only fun to see but also be able to do. I got D2 and played 15 minutes of it and that was that. D1 had not been that great for me, and my roommate  did not care for it himself, and he was a top line code expert and is still in that field way up there in rank and all, and his evaluation of many of those games, was interesting, not to mention that the majority of them had the same engine for starters, which many of the online games did the same thing and did not know how to not make it so obvious.

I see no point in continuing this discussion, as your idea of a discussion is one that means you are right and no one else can say anything that does not kiss your skirts or socks so you feel more important and on top of your own ideas in this board. I am not into this board for ego gratification, like you appear to be. It's the art that matters, not the personal state, but you do not seem to know the difference yet!

Edited by moshkito - December 13 2021 at 06:55
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 07:04

Hi,

I think you are intentionally misinterpreting the whole thing to simply make your point more valid.

Your ego withholds your thinking ability. I'll not read the rest of your post. You're a hopeless case.

As I had said:

Edit: Ah, I've happened to see the ending of your post about my "ego gratification". LOL

You said you NEVER participated in a thread on other games. That means apart from World of Warcraft and EverQuest. But you did. And I PROVED that. You even pretended to understand Baldur's Gate and its "simplicity". You simply are wrong about Baldur's Gate, and were wrong about your claim of not participating in such a thread on games. It is understandable that you forgot what you wrote. But I showed it to you. All you had to do was admitting that you were wrong. (But you couldn't have compensated for your pretentiousness even then.) Your warped ego is something. Oh boy, it is something!..

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 13 2021 at 07:31
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 09:15

You said you NEVER participated in a thread on other games. That means apart from World of Warcraft and EverQuest. But you did. And I PROVED that. 
Hi,

I had gotten the original Diablo with another purchase. By the time BG came out, I was aware of "copies" and was not even interested in trying it. 

What I stated in the thread, did not specify that I played Diablo or BG at all. The only two games I have played in this life is EQ and WoW and I have no other interests whatsoever in some of the other copy crap out there, and all you are doing is showing your favoritism, instead of specifying what it is that you think makes it a great game.

I already told you that about myself and both EQ and WoW and their history, but that is stuff that is way too far out for you to even conceive, and if I told you that one of the best known players in EQ is still with Blizzard and running one of their games you wouldn't have any idea who it was, or how valuable and important he was to the development of the two massive online games, and now, helping one other part of WoW stand up and make its presence felt! It shows that there is a bunch of folks in there that are special and then some. 

There is not a whole lot, as a way of comparison to show the "talent" in D1 or D2, and BG. The graphics are always nice but the development of graphics had been a huge issue on EQ and WoW from the very start, and it is believed that they influenced the improvements on graphic cards a lot more than we give them credit for. The D games, of BG could hardly say anything to that effect or standard. 

Of it it matters to you, I beta tested 2 other games, and one of them died a bad death 3 months into their life (started out really well) when they were basically killed by a bunch of loud pvp'rs that wanted to turn the game in another direction which caused massive issues in balance, and ended up losing them half their members. A well deserved ending I would say, since pvp is not what EQ and WoW were really about, and while they made room for it, in the end, they did not succumb to the pressures of hurting the balancing of the game because of it.

The day you want to discuss some history of all these games, let me know ... I was there and tried many of them, but I did NOT play them in the sense that you think, because they were not worth it. And the ability for the character/class to do something different that what was intended was totally gone in those games ... and you should have seen the talent of some bards in EQ, kiting a whole zone ... a trully worth while spectacle that will never be duplicated or seen, and how one character by itself, was the major reason for all the rest of the games to become somewhat mechanized and controlled by spreadsheets and databases to ensure that you did not do more than "intended".

Get off the right or wrong bs. And again, to me, compared to hundreds of years of literature, Stephen King still is the pulp writer for Hollywood ... as it has been shown by the quantity of films done off his novels, when few have the talent or ability to do a "real" Frankenstein (still not done right), a real "Vampyr", or a really well done "Carmilla" ... stuff that is far better written, and we have not, yet, even mentioned the very good work by Anne Rice, probably the last of the great Gothic writers in literature. SK will never have that distinction in the "horror" or even "Gothic" field.

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2021 at 09:16
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 09:46

What I stated in the thread, did not specify that I played Diablo or BG at all.

I didn't say that you claimed to have played it. Pretentiousness is a broad term. If you denote the "simplicity" of a game without playing it, that is also within the scope of pretentiousness. And you did it. You do the same about Stephen King too. You're indeed an "insufferable prig" like The Dark Elf once said. If we were face to face, I would not be this nice. I would say that you're an "insufferable pri...", "insuccerable pric"... Yes, you guess it right! Priceless!.. "Insufferable prick song in my ears. I'd rather be deaf than hear what you sing!.." Lucky me, I don't have to hear you.

For your information, I'll not read the rest of your post. And if I could achieve that, I'll never interact with you again.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:00

What I stated in the thread, did not specify that I played Diablo or BG at all.

I didn't say that you claimed to have played it. Pretentiousness is a broad term. If you denote the "simplicity" of a game without playing it, that is also within the scope of pretentiousness. And you did it. You do the same about Stephen King too. You're indeed an "insufferable prig" like The Dark Elf once said. If we were face to face, I would not be this nice. I would say that you're an "insufferable pri...", "insuccerable pric"... Yes, you guess it right! Priceless!.. "Insufferable prick song in my ears. I'd rather be deaf than hear what you sing!.." Lucky me, I don't have to hear you.

For your information, I'll not read the rest of your post. And if I could achieve that, I'll never interact with you again.

Hi,

Such a low class attitude towards a difference of opinion. And you consider yourself knowledgeable and intelligent. oh well .... !!!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 10:39
For those that are (relatively) new here, I wanted to say that this "dispute" has some serious antecedents. The above being knows it very well. 

I'm not interacting with the "thing" above, here. That life form even pretends to know how I consider myself, better than me. Not even ludicrous; too "low-level" for me to have fun.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:25

Get off the right or wrong bs. And again, to me, compared to hundreds of years of literature, Stephen King still is the pulp writer for Hollywood ... as it has been shown by the quantity of films done off his novels, when few have the talent or ability to do a "real" Frankenstein (still not done right), a real "Vampyr", or a really well done "Carmilla" ... stuff that is far better written, and we have not, yet, even mentioned the very good work by Anne Rice, probably the last of the great Gothic writers in literature. SK will never have that distinction in the "horror" or even "Gothic" field.

By whose decision? Who decides who gets distinction in those fields?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 08:06

By whose decision? Who decides who gets distinction in those fields?

Hi,

Literature will decide its history, not me. Or you!

We'll see 50 to 100 years from now ... folks like Mary Shelley, Lord Polidori, Sheridan LeFanu, Lord Byron, Anne Rice, will still be discussed in Literature classes. I sincerely do not think that SK will be there for whatever reasons. He might be if someone invents a new class in literature ... famous writers that sold millions ... but I don't see a whole lot of studies on Stephen King's work in a whole bunch of University listings or catalogues!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12