Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMP3 The new Politic of Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: (Stream)Mp3 Are you agree or desagree..?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [30.95%]
29 [69.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 04:23

Million times NO!!

I need to download tracks to listen carefully and attentively when I find suitable time, and then buy stuff if I like it. Streaming is very unconvenient and in the end useless for me.

Moreover I consider this recent change as a sign of decay of the site. What  a pity!

carefulwiththataxe
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 05:25
New version suits my using better, but I feel sorry for those who can't use the streaming ability due to slow bandwith.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 05:33

I totally agree with the new organisation...It was a clever decision and the best alternative for us

S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 05:34

Let me just say. MP3s are a legal issue and I miss them as much as most of us do. Streaming is not an option for me for poor Internet speed, so I am in the same boat as anyone else.

It's not for me to comment in detail here, but I am certain that removing MP3s wasn't the Archives preference - one may need to look further at the stupidity of some record company executives, who are erroneously fighting aganst FREE PROMOTION....

Don't blame the Archives.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 05:36

Check out the link in my signature - I'm building a list of links to free samples.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 05:55

I have no problem with it, because although I have listened to quite a few MP3s, I have never downloaded any of them... call me daft if you will, but I have never felt easy about getting something for nothing.  If I like a track, I will go out an buy the album.

There are two things which I would like to ask though...firstly, there doesn't seem to be a pause mechanism on the tracks...so if the phone rings, I have to start again from scratch...am I being thick?

Secondly, unlike the old system, I can't go back into the forums while listening to the music; as soon as I click out the page, it switches off...is there any way around this?  Otherwise, I'm happy.

I'd also like to fully endorse what Jody said, about not being here solely for the MP3s... I love talking to people about the music I like, and making new contacts with a great group of people... if the day comes when I leave this site for whatever reason, that will be what I will remember most, NOT the Mp3s..

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 06:52
i only downloaded one song from here so i won't miss it - i never knew you could until it was too late anyway i can go elsewhere for downloads,thats not why i visit the site,i download to make informed decisions re concerts/cd's
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 07:30

The issue isn't so much over artist's opinions - I think, broadly speaking, that the majority of musicians have no problem with samples being available, and indeed many have samples (downloadable or otherwise) on their own websites.

The real issue here is the attitude of the music industry, which continually sends out mixed signals (it's nigh well impossible to buy a music mag in the UK that DOESN'T have a free cd on the cover, for instance) but which has historically been paranoid about alternative methods of distribution - anybody remember 'Home Taping is Killing Music' in the 80s? The survival of this site is more important than the continued availability of mp3 samples, which I think most of us regarded as a bonus rather than the main reason for visiting in the first place.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 08:18
I knew about this sites mp3s before i was able to actually download them however now that i can i am disapointed to find that they are no longer available. Its hard to see how someone could have a problem with a single album track being made available for downloading so that people can make their own decisions about the music. However we all no that this is lagal problam caused by the big wigs of the major record companys like Virgin that dont even have any prog bands on their books. this should be left to the indevidual bands to decide what happens. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 08:47
If there are no other options, I think something like what Mike's started doing could be integrated into the main site - maybe even with direct linking. It even saves more bandwidth for rabid posting in the Mariah thread
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 08:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

You all can complain all you want,but it won't change nothing.They are gone,get used to it.

You're preaching to a childrens choir here ... they have no idea what they're talking about.

I have to agree with realistic approach expressed by TheProgtologist that probably nothing can be done about this sad change. But this does not mean that I like it, and I voted NO.

What I cannot take is disrespectful comments by MikeEnRegalia, diminishing all those who voted "NO" in this poll. I would have presumed that his position of collaborator would prevent him from such kind of inappropriate comments, but obviously I was overly optimistic in my presumption.  

Also I noticed some people mentionning a legal aspect of free downloading, and although I admit not being very much aware of legal issues, I find it difficult to believe that something illegal was taking place for quite long time on this site, and so many intelligent and loyal people were gladly taking part in it, enjoying all these free dowloads.

Such are my subtle observations. 

Edited by eugene
carefulwiththataxe
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:02

I like this system a lot better personally...

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:20

Check out the link in my signature - I'm building a list of links to free samples.

oh, this is very useful and helpful thing - thanks 

carefulwiththataxe
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:33

In most countries DOWNLOADING mp3s is ILLEGAL, unless directly endorsed by either the record companies or the artists, and you can be prosecuted by the RIAA or equivalent in your country for simply downloading them.

In recent months, the Recording Industry Ass. of America especially has been exceptionally and increasingly active in prosecuting the heinous and dangerous criminals that are downloading mp3s and killing music, like 11 year-olds and even people who wouldn't even dream of downloading an mp3.

ProgArchives obviously realises that most members of this site would prefer not to face a hefty fine or go to court simply for enjoying music, and has found a great solution to this problem that means you can still hear the music without breaking the law in streaming mp3.

Maybe it's not as convenient, but at least you won't face a multi $1,000 dollar fine.

Which is better now?

If you'd like evidence to support the claims I made above, which might seem to be outrageous slander against the RIAA, who do an amazing job, I'd be happy to provide it

Edited by Certif1ed
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:06
I do not have any grounds for not to believe what you saying here, Certif1ed, neither I want you to support your claim, as it may well be true. It just seems to me very strange that status quo with mp3 on this site had changed suddenly just recently, or are you implying that the situation with downloading from this site we had before was illegal all time long??? 
carefulwiththataxe
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:15
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

That's not for anyone to decide. You want this site to remain open, right?

Well, the downloading isn't legal. So it's best that you don't complain and just carry on without downloading.

Exactly.Stern Smile

Plus, the question is so unclear as to make the poll confusing, and invalid.Confused

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:24

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

I do not have any grounds for not to believe what you saying here, Certif1ed, neither I want you to support your claim, as it may well be true. It just seems to me very strange that status quo with mp3 on this site had changed suddenly just recently, or are you implying that the situation with downloading from this site we had before was illegal all time long??? 

Let's just say that things have changed shall we?

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:30

Million times NO!!

I need to download tracks to listen carefully and attentively when I find suitable time, and then buy stuff if I like it. Streaming is very unconvenient and in the end useless for me.

Moreover I consider this recent change as a sign of decay of the site. What  a pity!

And you can't listen carefully while listening to the song being streamed?

It isn't useless, you can still listen to the tracks, you know.

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:40
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Million times NO!!

And you can't listen carefully while listening to the song being streamed?

It isn't useless, you can still listen to the tracks, you know.

No, unfortunately I cannot listen to the streaming at all. It might have something to do with slow speed of internet connection or some other problems, which I am not aware of, but it is not possible for me to listen.

All in all it's very unconvenient, and I shall be missing these facilities, but if this can't be changed, we shall have to live without it. Sad, but who said the life is fair.

carefulwiththataxe
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:45

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

You all can complain all you want,but it won't change nothing.They are gone,get used to it.

You're preaching to a childrens choir here ... they have no idea what they're talking about.

I have to agree with realistic approach expressed by TheProgtologist that probably nothing can be done about this sad change. But this does not mean that I like it, and I voted NO.

What I cannot take is disrespectful comments by MikeEnRegalia, diminishing all those who voted "NO" in this poll. I would have presumed that his position of collaborator would prevent him from such kind of inappropriate comments, but obviously I was overly optimistic in my presumption.  

Also I noticed some people mentionning a legal aspect of free downloading, and although I admit not being very much aware of legal issues, I find it difficult to believe that something illegal was taking place for quite long time on this site, and so many intelligent and loyal people were gladly taking part in it, enjoying all these free dowloads.

Such are my subtle observations. 

Sorry if I offended you ... my post was a little bit unfair, because the creator of the poll is to blame ... the options suggest that the site owners had a choice and prefered the streaming option to the downloads.

But with a little common sense (putting 1 and 1 together) everybody should realise that they had no choice.

BTW: Check out the link in my signature ... I'll build a list of links to free samples. You can download the Aching Hunger excerpt ... almost 40 minutes, and one complete 10 minutes song from the new Sieges Even album.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>