Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a consensus for "top" online radio?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 16:50
I prefer to listen to what I have in my collection
In the past, I have tried Gags/ Delicious Agony/ Aural Moon/ Progressive shores.... to pick up some new stuff, some have disappeared since...
Prog planet is a tiny one
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 17:43
Ian (Nogbadthe bad) and Mike (AFlowerKingCrimson) mentioned the main ones I haunt.  Also go to the various chats at those stations (as both can attest).  

I also enjoy Friday Night Progressive (every Friday 6PM - 8PM PT), as a stand-alone show.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 19:55
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

I prefer to listen to what I have in my collection
In the past, I have tried Gags/ Delicious Agony/ Aural Moon/ Progressive shores.... to pick up some new stuff, some have disappeared since...
Prog planet is a tiny one

Hi,

It's not that tiny ... I kinda think after 55 years of it, that it is more about how folks like to "control" what they see and what they like ... and not take the adventure to listen and appreciate something else. Same goes for movies, theater, art ... we will choose the Louvre, but three new artists at Gallery X will have 2 folks walking by briskly and smoking a cigarette!

It's all about where your mind is and wants to be and wants to experience different things. It is only "tiny" in our minds, not in reality! There is so much stuff out there that we can not even get past the top 5 or 10 to discuss them!

Remember that it has been around for many years and is not a fly by night scene that was invented by a promoter ...

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I have so much music in my collection, I don't listen to any radio. When somebody suggests a band/album/piece of music, I might follow the link to check it out, but as a daily affair, I just listen to my CDs, mp3s, etc.

Same here, but some shows are NOT about a top ten idea of what progressive music is in their presentation, which almost all the "progressive" shows out there are ... and sometimes ridiculously so! 

Other than Space Pirate Radio, there really are not that many "progressive" shows out there, despite so many misusing the word so badly it hurts to even see it! They do not really know what the whole thing is about, other than just ... it sounds like ... !!!! Even SPR is a bit more song minded these days than it ever was, when there was a time as far as (even) 20 years ago, when Guy played full sides, but these days, (for my tastes!!!) I would say it has a few too many songs, and not more of the music ... but I differ  from folks here and am spoiled senseless from the old days of SPR when Guy played so many things in its entirety, and you always heard Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Can, Amon Duul 2, Banco, PFM, Ange, Sadistic Mika Band, EMO, Far East Family Band, and and so many other things in whole sides of an album ... but these days, the majority of shows out there are not about the "music" itself ... they are about the fame of the material, so the players can feel sure that they have an audience, and "validate" their show.

Again, in the end, it is all about what you are looking for and wishing to find, and yeah, it's easy for me to say ... I have more than enough music to last me for another lifetime ... but the love and appreciation for something else, a new painting, a new play, a new film ... is a lot more valuable all around. And I don't mean the one that has so much advertising to convince you and your friends that it is good and the best!

Edited by moshkito - January 29 2022 at 20:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
kreedy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kreedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2022 at 14:39
I have so much music, I mostly listen to it.  However, I do go to band camp all the time and try new stuff out. 

Also, stuff I do find on band camp I'll play on the NewEARS Prog Show.  The show airs every Saturday from 2-4 and Sunday from 7 to 9 at night and is on Delicious Agony.   Each show has a guest or 2 that is interviewed.  It is a great break from listening to your own music all the time.  Check em out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12