Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Objectivity in rating albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:12
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Then again, you could use my Max Factor 10 rating system, where you rank each of the following album factors out of ten to give an overall percentage, although I've never used the system myself, as I'm far too subjective. Tongue
Would that make the rating more objective, and if so why?

And where come those criteria from?

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:25

Then again, you could use my Max Factor 10 rating system, where you rank each of the following album factors out of ten to give an overall percentage, although I've never used the system myself, as I'm far too subjective. Tongue

They came from inside my own head. I didn't copy & paste the ratings criteria from another website, as Cristi might have you believe. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:40

They came from inside my own head. I didn't copy & paste the ratings criteria from another website, as Cristi might have you believe. Tongue

I'm surely impressed by that, Paul, and I was quite certain that you had found them somewhere - and that without Cristi's comment. It was certainly creative to invent them, and I find them very fine as basis for rating, if somebody would do that. Smile 

Edited by David_D - March 13 2022 at 15:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:44

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't say anything, quit mentioning me all over the place, out of the blue. 
I didn't even want to post in this thread. 

You know what i meant about you copy and pasting exactly. 

I know you didn't copy paste that criteria list. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:48

I'm surely impressed by that, Paul, and I was quite certain that you had found them somewhere - and that without Cristi's comment. It was certainly creative to invent them, and I find them very fine as basis for rating, if somebody would do that. Smile 
It took me all of 20 minutes to compile that list of ratings criteria, so it's really not that impressive, but thanks for the compliment anyway. Thumbs Up
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 15:59

And guys, read my OP carefully. I'm not asking about the degree of subjectivity, but about 
a possible degree of objectivity.

I think you’ll find we have, but you’re not liking the answers.

You’re not asking about the degree of subjectivity, but about a possible degree of objectivity. As per the majority of answers here, there is no possible degree of objectivity that is meaningful.

There may well be a possible degree of objectivity, but most of recognise that subjective reviews are far more useful.

Furthermore, you’ve proved time and time again to not really understand objectivity in your previous posts (eg attempting to definite prog, and attempting to list a top 100), and whenever anyone gives an answer that is not in agreement (however constructive the criticism might be), you tend to either ignore it, or declare it a personal attack.

As much as you might like your posts to be an echo chamber, this forum will not provide that for you, and you will encounter views that are different from your own. The sooner you can understand and respect that, the less frustrated you will get when people don’t answer as you expect. It is not because we have not read your OP carefully. It is simply because we don’t agree with your opinions. That doesn’t make us right, nor you wrong. It simply means we see things differently.

I’ll toddle off back to my cave now. Good night!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 16:39
Quote A claim to objective knowledge is an absolute demand for obedience.
(Humberto Maturana)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 16:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

(Humberto Maturana)

I like that! Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 16:57
Ratings and reviews are mostly subjective. The trick is finding a reviewer that shares your subjective thinking, or is somewhat close, and to pay attention to what they say and/or rate. So, forget about objectivity in ratings as it's virtually useless.

Edited by SteveG - March 14 2022 at 10:17
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 17:18
There are definitely a variety of quantifiable traits about any piece of music that can be objectively stated: tempo, length, key, etc. How you feel about any of those is not at all objective. You can make objective comparisons to other pieces of music (these two songs have the same tempo, these two songs do a similar key change, etc.), and you can also make subjective comparisons to other pieces of music (these two songs both make me feel like I'm at the beach, these two songs don't share the same vibes at all, etc.). Generally music reviews and people who read them are much more interested in hearing all the subjective stuff, because we do share many opinions with each other. Like, if I were to say that Rush's New World Man is a less proggy song than King Crimson's Starless, most if not all of you would probably agree with me, because many of us do share similar concepts of what it means to be proggy. Similarly, there are a lot of technically subjective opinions about music we often take for granted as agreed upon by most everyone, just based on how we are taught to hear them and their most common uses. The obvious example: there's nothing objectively happy about a major chord and nothing objectively sad about a minor chord, but many of us who listen to western music are taught very early on that major chords are considered happier and minor chords are considered sadder. Row row row your boat is in major, and it's a very happy song. The Sound Of Silence starts out in a minor key, and it's a very sad song. Or at least, that's how the majority of people tend to interpret those two songs. 
The fact is that, aside from those very exactly objective qualities about any piece of music I gave some examples of at the top, everything is up for debate. If your mother used to sing you The Sound Of Silence as a lullaby, the song might have sounded very happy to you at the time, and perhaps turned sadder as the years wore on and that early stage of your life passed further and further out of view. If you were picked on by other kids on the playground and not allowed to join in a round of singing row row row your boat, the song might have made you very upset as a child, but may have turned happy again as the pain of that childhood memory faded away and perhaps you had kids of your own to teach nursery rhymes to. Everything becomes subjective past a certain point, so I would say to anyone who's concerned that there's not enough "objectivity" in a review of an album or a song or any piece of art... the only objective facts about any piece of art tend to be boring. "The Mona Lisa has greenish background" simply isn't worth writing in a review of that painting. "Mona Lisa isn't actually smiling" is a much more interesting statement to make, specifically because it could be disagreed with.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 17:19
Why would anyone want to read an objective review?  I mean it would read something like "This recording involves four players with various instruments who appear to be taking part in a variation of a jazz-related form of music."

Yeah, no thanks.  Give me strong, provocative, and subjective opinions every time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 17:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

There are some things that could be measured objectively but I don't see how they would affect the rating of an album - number of different chords, number of instruments played etc. Music rating is inherently subjective imo, for every album someone loves there will be someone who hates it. 
There are some albums however that you can't really argue with. Let's take Close To The Edge as an example, there will be people who don't like it but you can't really argue that it is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums and is therefore deserving of a reasonable rating. Can you? 

See, I disagree. Not with the idea that CTTE is one of the most important and highly regarded prog albums, but of which could be pretty consistently measured with some decent criteria, though they may not be objective per say. I disagree with the idea that that must make it deserving of a reasonable rating. Personally, I love CTTE, and I'd give it 5/5 stars easily. But someone who doesn't enjoy it at all, even recognizing it's towering impact on the genre and popularity among prog fans to this day, may not be compelled to rate it based on any criteria but their own personal enjoyment of it, and if they don't enjoy it, there would be much reason to give it more than 1 star! Rating is subjective, criticism is subjective. The objective qualities about music don't tell us how many stars to give it. The Ramones and The Chainsmokers both tend to write 2-3 minute songs based around 3-4 chords. I love those of the former and detest those of the latter. The numbers involved have little to nothing to do with my opinions on that.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 17:30
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Quality of production is a out the only objective piece.

Gonna disagree with this too. How do you define good production. Is A Night At The Opera better produced than Moving Pictures? I find they have two very different approaches to production, and both are impeccable, but certainly someone else may find that one of them is good and the other bad, or they're both bad, or their both average, and so on and so forth. I've read one EDM fan complain about the lack of bass in rock music, I think because they were so used to the bass in EDM being at a certain lower frequency range and often placed more prominently in the mix.  What's good production for a dubstep record might sound atrocious if a jazz fusion record were mixed the same way. And then maybe someone would think its cool as heck! I think production is definitely subjective, it's just that many of us agree on the meaning of words like "clarity" and "balance" and also agree that they're good qualities for a record to have.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 17:36
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

As I see it, popularity is the only objective measure of quality. But to account for the widely different tastes in music, the popularity should be from the fans of the particular types of music. Thus, the quality of prog should be assessed by the popularity among prog fans, the quality of metal should be assessed by the popularity among metal fans, the quality of jazz should be assessed by the popularity among jazz fans, etc. And if one is a fan of avant-prog rather than symphonic prog, the quality of avant-prog should be assessed by the popularity among avant-prog fans rather than symphonic prog fans.

Man I disagree here as well. I don't think popularity and quality are related more than tangentially. Many things of impeccable quality (pick any set of standards you like to measure that) fall through the cracks.  Meanwhile many things of massive popularity (by whichever measure using whichever group of fans you prefer) could be said by any number of people to be low quality. I'm in a band with someone who's all about efficiency in music, and he would probably scoff at the idea that Animals is one of the best albums of all time., what with those extended length runtimes and long passages of moody atmospherics. He simply has a different barometer. Sure he's not a prog fan, but his opinion isn't invalid, it just might mean less to someone who is a prog fan. Popularity is not an objective measurement of anything other than how many people like something.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 18:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

(Humberto Maturana)

I guess, no need to become so serious, Lewian.
This is not supposed to be a discussion of different epistemological theories.

- But a point of view certainly good to consider for a statistician. Smile

Edited by David_D - March 14 2022 at 00:47
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 20:06
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Popularity is not an objective measurement of anything other than how many people like something.

The more exposure a piece of music gets, the more likely it is to become "popular". The more "popular" a piece of music gets, the more likely it is to get exposure. There is one of many variables that determine how to access this loop, that being commercial considerations, and I would argue that this is the only objective aspect of the equation.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 20:51
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Popularity is not an objective measurement of anything other than how many people like something.

The more exposure a piece of music gets, the more likely it is to become "popular". The more "popular" a piece of music gets, the more likely it is to get exposure. There is one of many variables that determine how to access this loop, that being commercial considerations, and I would argue that this is the only objective aspect of the equation.

I dunno, can you quantify the level of commercial consideration an artist puts into their work? I mean, what Taylor Swift might think is very experimental, Radiohead might scoff at for sounding like, well, Taylor Swift.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2022 at 22:01
I think reviews will often have some information that might be considered quasi objective, such as the general style, the instruments of note, and the musicians, as well as the general length of tracks and how vocal heavy they are, though even these would have some subjectivity,  For instance, one reviewer begins most reviews by saying where the album fits in the group's discography and where a song fits on the album, while another indicates what happens at a particular time in a song.  But by and large, I want to read reviews that are mostly subjective, even if I disagree with the reviewer.  If they make a coherent case for their point of view, hats off.   And when I write reviews, I limit the objective stuff to setting the stage. may take a certain position but it doesn't mean I couldn't take another position if in a different frame of mind, or at least be able to see the contrary point of view.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 00:46
I think we should mostly rate the music subjectively. Objectivity will come from the collective ratings, even if they are subjective.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 01:54

.......I think production is definitely subjective, it's just that many of us agree on the meaning of words like "clarity" and "balance" and also agree that they're good qualities for a record to have.

But that could sound like possibility for "objective" qualities intersubjectively speaking? Or would you still say that we only agree about some "good qualities" if we all have learned to value those qualities positively?

Edited by David_D - March 14 2022 at 02:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>