Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which ones are your favourites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [11.76%]
21 [12.35%]
1 [0.59%]
10 [5.88%]
4 [2.35%]
13 [7.65%]
1 [0.59%]
5 [2.94%]
11 [6.47%]
1 [0.59%]
7 [4.12%]
1 [0.59%]
13 [7.65%]
4 [2.35%]
4 [2.35%]
3 [1.76%]
5 [2.94%]
5 [2.94%]
8 [4.71%]
7 [4.12%]
17 [10.00%]
1 [0.59%]
1 [0.59%]
5 [2.94%]
2 [1.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 15:00
^ Lol, that gif is fabulous. LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 15:13
The Thing is, it's Back to the Future from 1968 to the Inception of 2001: A Space Odyssey - a film that's immaculate in its conception, even though the convoluted plot is still Alien to me.  Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 27 2022 at 15:15
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 15:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^^I'm sure most think of "Bullet Time" as the defining characteristic when they think innovative.
Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to find much else truly innovative.
The story's been done before, the action, while impressive choreography, was in line with many others. As for the wire work, I've seen way better in Japanese films.

I want to say some things about The Matrix's "originality" (which is seemingly the lack thereof). Since The Matrix was shown at the theatres, my anime-maniac roommate at university (who had also been my schoolmate-classmate-deskmate since middle school) was talking about how the Matrix was a Ghost in the Shell rip off. I tried to watch that anime then, but got ultimately bored. That means "what" you do is not enough sometimes. "How" you do it can also be crucial. That's where The Matrix shines.

Also please keep in mind that most of such movies target the younger audience, as they get money from them more. Even the most intellectual and intelligent playwrights can add some melodramatic elements into their serious works, just to get more money.

I'm sure that I wouldn't have been blown away by The Matrix, if I were as old as most of the forum members here.

Edited by Archisorcerus - March 27 2022 at 15:59
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 16:23
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

^ Lol, that gif is fabulous. LOL

LOL It's...gold!

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Thing is, it's Back to the Future from 1968 to the Inception of 2001: A Space Odyssey - a film that's immaculate in its conception, even though the convoluted plot is still Alien to me.  Confused

Paul, you got me again! I was reading through, and I realized.. LOL
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 16:54
If I was to be told I could only ever watch one of these movies again it would be "Brazil", although I must also give props to "Blade Runner", "2001...", "Terminator", "Matrix"...

I like "nature of reality" type movies and would have liked to have seen "Total Recall" (the original, not the horrible remake) on the list.

I think Inception is one of the most overrated films in history. I watched it twice. First at the cinema. So, this is a subjective view, for sure. I'm a fan of Nolan's many films, including Insomnia. But, not of Inception or his Batman films.

I agree about "Inception" and his Batman films however I thought that "Tenet" was the best film I saw last year, convoluted plot and all.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 16:56
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

If I was to be told I could only ever watch one of these movies again it would be "Brazil", although I must also give props to "Blade Runner", "2001...", "Terminator", "Matrix"...

I like "nature of reality" type movies and would have liked to have seen "Total Recall" (the original, not the horrible remake) on the list.

I think Inception is one of the most overrated films in history. I watched it twice. First at the cinema. So, this is a subjective view, for sure. I'm a fan of Nolan's many films, including Insomnia. But, not of Inception or his Batman films.

I agree about "Inception" and his Batman films however I thought that "Tenet" was the best film I saw last year, convoluted plot and all.

Nice to be agreed here! I'm planning to watch Tenet soon. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 10:48
Tenet = another great Nolan film that suffers outside a theatrical viewing.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 11:03
Lots of good ones here . I voted for Aliens but I could have easily said Blade Runner, Alien, The Thing,  Clockwork Orange, Star Wars....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 11:53
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I am definitely an Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) guy, although I do like the original very much as well.

Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is pretty much a perfect film, one of the rare exceptions when a remake eclipses its predecessor. He got it down to a science with the paranoia, claustrophobia and the erasure of individuality and humanity as we know it.

(Did you watch the 2007 version, with Kidman and Craig, titled simply The Invasion? Disappointing. I can't believe they left out the "scream"!)

It's the fourth film adaptation of (or based on) Jack Finney's 1955 novel The Body Snatchers  (the other not mentioned is 1993's Body Snatchers, which I also have seen).  I like The Invasion, but not as much as Invasion of the Body Snatchers (especially the 1970s version, which I do think pretty much a perfect film -- I've had long discussions about this with BaldJean, I think, or was it Friede?, or both who is much more into the first film).  Both with that and The Fly I prefer the later versions.

I find The Invasion to be be different enough to be interesting in its own right, and actually if it had been much more like my favourite, the 1978 one, I might have found it quite pointless to watch. Apparently it was supposed to have been more of  remake of an earlier Body Snatchers film (the 70s one, I think), but then decided to modernise it and go a rather different way with it. 

Speaking of films based on novels that have been made multiple times, I finally saw Denis Villeneuve's Dune last night.  Maybe, like Tenet, this needed to be seen in the cinema.  I got so bored.  It ended up feeling like a prequel to me.  I wish it had been all one, say three or a and a half hour film rather than two,.  I know lots of people, including Lynch, dislike Lynch's adaptation (and there are some better longer edits, I think), but even in any form, I enjoy it more than the recent adaptation.  I could compare it to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings in a way, which didn't really work for me, and I would rather rewatch the much derided by some Bakshi version.  I do suspect that I will like part two of the new Dune more, and even with Lynch's version, I tend to replay the second half more.

I have read various reviews stating that Dune should have or deserved to win best picture at the Academy Awards (I don't care much about such awards).  The obvious one that would have been worthy in my eyes is 2001:  A Space Odyssey, which like Dune is epic, had strong visuals, is cold in its way, and many find boring.  I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I know various people who consider it to be incredibly dull.  To each his or her own.
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 13:07

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I am definitely an Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) guy, although I do like the original very much as well.

Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is pretty much a perfect film, one of the rare exceptions when a remake eclipses its predecessor. He got it down to a science with the paranoia, claustrophobia and the erasure of individuality and humanity as we know it.

(Did you watch the 2007 version, with Kidman and Craig, titled simply The Invasion? Disappointing. I can't believe they left out the "scream"!)
It's the fourth film adaptation of (or based on) Jack Finney's 1955 novel The Body Snatchers  (the other not mentioned is 1993's Body Snatchers, which I also have seen).  I like The Invasion, but not as much as Invasion of the Body Snatchers (especially the 1970s version, which I do think pretty much a perfect film -- I've had long discussions about this with BaldJean, I think, or was it Friede?, or both who is much more into the first film).  Both with that and The Fly I prefer the later versions.

I saw Ferrara's Body Snatchers in the theater and while its resolution/climax is spectacularly underwhelming, it has a good dosage of the paranoia that 1978's Invasion drips...

...and gorgeous Meg Tilly's scream is EPIC!

I find The Invasion to be be different enough to be interesting in its own right, and actually if it had been much more like my favourite, the 1978 one, I might have found it quite pointless to watch. Apparently it was supposed to have been more of  remake of an earlier Body Snatchers film (the 70s one, I think), but then decided to modernise it and go a rather different way with it.

I didn't buy the fourth (and hopefully final) version's happy ending. Kaufman's depiction of humans losing the battle to a virus-like foe with various shades of [in]visibility is mind-numbing.

Speaking of films based on novels that have been made multiple times, I finally saw Denis Villeneuve's Dune last night.  Maybe, like Tenet, this needed to be seen in the cinema.  I got so bored.

Chalomet looks wooden as heck in every clip I've seen. I'm almost afraid to watch it. A friend who loves the books loved the movie, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 16:58

I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I know various people who consider it to be incredibly dull.  To each his or her own.

People these days are so spoilt by CGI and special effects overload in movies these days that it is difficult to remember or consider just how much of a game changer 2001: A Space Odyssey was when it was released.

It was the birth of modern sci-fi cinema and gave sci-fi a credibility that it rarely enjoyed before its release. The visuals where dazzling for its time but it also had a story that raised it above the usual monsters from space fare, a story that can be and still is contemplated long after the viewing experience.

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 19:17
Of the thousands of sci-fi B movies , two still resonate: Colossus, the Forbin Project (mostly for the unhappy ending) as well as the original the Andromeda Strain (which ended better, LOL) 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:05
^Must be a Great White North thing, I love both those classics. I first saw them on late, late night movie channels back when I was gigging.
Good Call Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:06

I love 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I know various people who consider it to be incredibly dull.  To each his or her own.

People these days are so spoilt by CGI and special effects overload in movies these days that it is difficult to remember or consider just how much of a game changer 2001: A Space Odyssey was when it was released.

It was the birth of modern sci-fi cinema and gave sci-fi a credibility that it rarely enjoyed before its release. The visuals where dazzling for its time but it also had a story that raised it above the usual monsters from space fare, a story that can be and still is contemplated long after the viewing experience.

^This.

P.S. Still waiting for Bradley Cooper's film realization of Hyperion, my favorite Sci-Fi novel of all-time.

Edited by BrufordFreak - March 28 2022 at 20:08
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:19
Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:36
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

^This.

P.S. Still waiting for Bradley Cooper's film realization of Hyperion, my favorite Sci-Fi novel of all-time.

Hi,

I was there. But in my estimation, what made the film "better" was its PRESENTATION. And many theaters went out of their way to show the film with better sound equipment to help the opening (specially) bombard its way to a film. 

For me, it was seeing it at the CINERAMA DOME something that folks these days, will never see, and appreciate ... a film in 180 degrees and in bucket seats ... and of course, later, right across the street got to see HAIR at the old Aquarius Theater.

There is something about that time and place, where the exploration of sound, space and the arts, was far out, and in many ways, many of the generations after it, have been fed stuff that is mostly commercial material by comparison. I look at 2001 as a poem of sorts ... not much else, and the film itself with a teeny story that makes little sense in its complete nature ... is not as valuable as the way it was presented visually, which is much more enjoyable. 

It's a bizarre thought of mine, as to how difficult it is to review 2001 for today's audiences, since there barely is any action in the film altogether, and of course it will not be enjoyed as much. But with the original settings and presentations, the film stands up much better, though folks think that a girl screaming or zombies walking is more interesting or entertaining, which I think it the issue. I don't think that any film Stanley Kubrick did is about "entertainment" at all. As such this could be a goof sci-fi film, for its totally off kilter style and view, although I think that considering this a sci-fi film is a bit strange for me. But, I am not, exactly, a sci-fi person for the most part.

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2022 at 20:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 21:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...the film itself with a teeny story that makes little sense in its complete nature ... is not as valuable as the way it was presented visually, which is much more enjoyable. 

I disagree that it is a teeny story. The story may be very minimalistic in its presentation, but the themes explored are huge. 

It was really the first movie to explore the concept of where human intelligence came from and where it is taking us.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 22:54
Voted for the two Kubrick flicks, Blade Runner, The Thing as well as Brazil. Love all of those intensely.
Btw I caught people talking about The Matrix without commenting on the movies overt religious undertones. This is indeed a ‘Jesus goes karate on ya’-tale combined with the old ‘brain in a box’-scenario.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2022 at 09:26
Wasn't Avatar a rip-off of Le Guin's novel The Word For The World Is Forest?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2022 at 10:06

Speaking of films based on novels that have been made multiple times, I finally saw Denis Villeneuve's Dune last night.  Maybe, like Tenet, this needed to be seen in the cinema. 
I'm sorry to read this. I missed Dune in the theaters and haven't seen it on the small screen (yet). I had high hopes for the thing. By the way, Villeneuve was a "guest programmer" the other week on TCM for 2001: A Space Odyssey, and he said it was his favorite movie of all time.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>